Northwest Ohio Realignment

In a few years LB will be bigger than Kenton but I agree Kenton is not going to the BVC unless the BVC completely reworks it self and gets rid of all the small schools and adds schools like Fostoria.
Based on current ODE enrollment information for both school districts, Kenton is still projected to be larger than Liberty-Benton when today's elementary students are in high school so I think it may be more than just a few years. But agreed, Kenton to the BVC is a pipedream unless the BVC fundamentally changes from what the BVC actually is today.

Based on current ODE enrollment information for both school districts, Kenton is still projected to be larger than Liberty-Benton when today's elementary students are in high school so I think it may be more than just a few years. But agreed, Kenton to the BVC is a pipedream unless the BVC fundamentally changes from what the BVC actually is today.
Honestly, if Kenton was going to consider changing leagues, they would probably look at leagues like the Northern 10, Mid Ohio Athletic Conference, or Central Buckeye Conference Mad River Division.

I've said this before, but I genuinely don't think there will be a change in membership to the Western Buckeye League at the present moment. Even with seismic changes to Toledo metro area leagues this summer, Defiance still chose to remain members of the WBL. And Kenton has been a member of the WBL since the 1940's. I just don't see it happening to the dismay of this 118-page conference realignment discussion topic.

Lima Senior could solve their athletic problems if they divided into two schools (Lima South and Lima North?). I doubt that would work for non-athletic reasons.

Solve their athletic problems by doubling them?

No one would busting down Lima North or Lima South's doors either. They wouldn't magically be WBL or NWC candidates. You'd just have 2 schools no one wants.

Not sure that the WBL would be completely against Lima Senior.....several WBL schools play them in quite a few sports as it is, though nobody plays them in football....and really only OG, Shawnee and Elida play them very often in basketball. Biggest problem I see is that the WBL is at 10 schools. They play everyone in football....and have week 1 open for some traditional "rivalry" games. Adding an 11th would make that impossible.....and I don't see teams like Defiance being willing to give up their season opener with long time rival Napoleon.

Yeah, absolutely not. No way in hell I'm trading Napoleon for Lima Senior. One is our top gate of the year and brings the city together. The other would bring 12 fans.

I've said this before, but I genuinely don't think there will be a change in membership to the Western Buckeye League at the present moment. Even with seismic changes to Toledo metro area leagues this summer, Defiance still chose to remain members of the WBL. And Kenton has been a member of the WBL since the 1940's. I just don't see it happening to the dismay of this 118-page conference realignment discussion topic.

Yeah, I think unless something that actually had a shot to be stable and included the big 4 in our corner of the state came along, we're happy in the WBL. And considering Bryan and Wauseon are the Liberty-Benton of the NW corner, and we'd struggle to find anyone past those 4 anyway, it's not happening. If it was possible, it would have happened 50 years ago when all the shuffling first started.

As long as the WBL will have us, I think Defiance has made it obvious we're a loyal and happy member.

I see and get the point on Kenton; however, even if Kenton to the BVC were to happen, it is not like Kenton would dominate in sports....same goes for Fostoria. What about LCC?

Last edited:
Let’s say the BVC did get rid of a couple small schools and brought in Fostoria and Kenton. What school does everyone think would be a good replacement in the WBL if that happened?
I wish I didn't have to write this on damn near every page on this thread.

If Kenton were to leave the WBL, Defiance would wisely accept an invitation to the NLL, and the WBL would become an 8-team league. There would be no replacement.

Still not saying we'd be interested, but a Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance finish to a 14 team NLL would be the best bet for the NLL.

Still not saying we'd be interested, but a Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance finish to a 14 team NLL would be the best bet for the NLL.
I think that is what the NLL hoped for when started this process. Also would have like Maumee to stick around along with someone like Rossford to also join to give them the 2 8 team leagues.

That would be interesting...if they went by enrollment this would be the breakdown (7 - team divisions would likely require one mandatory cross-over to make things work). Man would Springfield be upset lol.

Whitmer - 839
Perrysburg - 672
Findlay - 600
Anthony Wayne - 544
Northview - 511
Fremont Ross - 454
Springfield - 452

Clay - 442
Southview - 368
Bowling Green - 361
Defiance - 297
Napoleon - 248
Bryan - 247
Wauseon - 226

Just for kicks, these would be the remaining teams in the NWOAL were that to happen
Evergreen - 154
Archbold - 146
Liberty Center - 135
Delta - 136
Patrick Henry - 97

I would venture a guess Evergreen/Delta would end up in the TAAC anyways, despite their community opposition if Swanton were to leave along with Bryan and Wauseon....but those are all HUGE ifs. I think it would be far more likely that the NLL ends up with Tiffin over those teams. I think the most likely scenario would be Napoleon getting an invite to the NWOAL if Swanton left...not sure if they would take it or not though. One thing is for sure, Maumee basically forcing the NLL to do this, then leaving anyways, it kind of the turd in the punch bowl for all of this. Would be VERY easy to push to 16 teams if you still had them in the fold.

That would be interesting...if they went by enrollment this would be the breakdown (7 - team divisions would likely require one mandatory cross-over to make things work). Man would Springfield be upset lol.

Whitmer - 839
Perrysburg - 672
Findlay - 600
Anthony Wayne - 544
Northview - 511
Fremont Ross - 454
Springfield - 452

Clay - 442
Southview - 368
Bowling Green - 361
Defiance - 297
Napoleon - 248
Bryan - 247
Wauseon - 226

Just for kicks, these would be the remaining teams in the NWOAL were that to happen
Evergreen - 154
Archbold - 146
Liberty Center - 135
Delta - 136
Patrick Henry - 97

I would venture a guess Evergreen/Delta would end up in the TAAC anyways, despite their community opposition if Swanton were to leave along with Bryan and Wauseon....but those are all HUGE ifs. I think it would be far more likely that the NLL ends up with Tiffin over those teams. I think the most likely scenario would be Napoleon getting an invite to the NWOAL if Swanton left...not sure if they would take it or not though. One thing is for sure, Maumee basically forcing the NLL to do this, then leaving anyways, it kind of the turd in the punch bowl for all of this. Would be VERY easy to push to 16 teams if you still had them in the fold.

I think the simple Napoleon for Swanton swap is most likely too, and I think as much as Napoleon enjoys playing up, they'd accept.

Just gets interesting if Delta and Evergreen DO stick with Swanton.

Whitmer - 839
Perrysburg - 672
Findlay - 600
Anthony Wayne - 544
Northview - 511
Fremont Ross - 454
Springfield - 452

Clay - 442
Southview - 368
Bowling Green - 361
Defiance - 297
Napoleon - 248
Bryan - 247
Wauseon - 226

Evergreen - 154
Archbold - 146
Liberty Center - 135
Delta - 136
Patrick Henry - 97

If this were to happen, this would be interesting. At that point, does PH go to the BVC? Archbold and Liberty-Center go to the small NLL Division and Evergreen, and Delta also go to the TAAC as well?

Last edited:
I think the simple Napoleon for Swanton swap is most likely too, and I think as much as Napoleon enjoys playing up, they'd accept.

Yeah...part of me thinks Swanton jumping would essentially force the hand of those other two schools (and is why they probably asked OH/NW/etc. to invite them now that the conference idea they had was completely wiped out). If Swanton leaves, the only really clear add would be Napoleon, and I'd imagine they probably would prefer a small school division in the NLL over an 8 team conference with Evergreen, Archbold, PH, and Delta, but who knows what communities want at this point.

Last edited:
If this were to happen, this would be interesting. At that point, does PH go to the BVC? Archbold and Liberty-Center go to the small NLL Division and Evergreen, and Delta also go to the TAAC as well?

If that were to happen, you'd have a top division of:

Whitmer
Findlay
Perrysburg
Anthony Wayne
Northview
Fremont Ross
Springfield
Clay

and a lower division of
Southview
Bowling Green
Defiance
Napoleon
Bryan
Wauseon
Archbold
Liberty Center

I guess I just don't know if that bottom division makes a whole ton of sense. I mean, you'd have 4 divisions represented (D3 to D6) and would always have one enrollment whale (once the McCord/Timberstone classes get to High School, Southview will be back up to around 900 students). Don't know how or why Archbold and Liberty Center would want to be a part of unless there is absolutely no other choice (Wauseon and Bryan leave).

The whole lynchpin IF Swanton accepts would be if the NWOAL can get team #8 (Napoleon would be the logical choice). They could just as easily look at that conference and say no...to which the NWOAL has to either lose another team or somehow manage an imbalanced conference. One could pretty easily imagine that PH would leave to go to the BVC if it were a 7 team conference. Then you've got a 100 person difference between the two teams at the top and the rest of the conference.

Napoleon is the easy answer if Swanton were to leave. But if Napoleon entering the league means Evergreen, Delta, and maybe PH want out then the whole league essentially implodes. If the remaining 7 want to try to stick together and keep the NWOAL a viable league they may need to seek a replacement agreeable to all. That replacement may not be out there but do they try to pry a Tinora or Otsego away? Probably not gonna happen but they may give it a shot to keep the league intact.

If that were to happen, you'd have a top division of:

Whitmer
Findlay
Perrysburg
Anthony Wayne
Northview
Fremont Ross
Springfield
Clay

and a lower division of
Southview
Bowling Green
Defiance
Napoleon
Bryan
Wauseon
Archbold
Liberty Center

I guess I just don't know if that bottom division makes a whole ton of sense. I mean, you'd have 4 divisions represented (D3 to D6) and would always have one enrollment whale (once the McCord/Timberstone classes get to High School, Southview will be back up to around 900 students). Don't know how or why Archbold and Liberty Center would want to be a part of unless there is absolutely no other choice (Wauseon and Bryan leave).

The whole lynchpin IF Swanton accepts would be if the NWOAL can get team #8 (Napoleon would be the logical choice). They could just as easily look at that conference and say no...to which the NWOAL has to either lose another team or somehow manage an imbalanced conference. One could pretty easily imagine that PH would leave to go to the BVC if it were a 7 team conference. Then you've got a 100 person difference between the two teams at the top and the rest of the conference.

Wouldn't even be 4 divisions in the small school division, at least until/if Southview went D2. There wouldn't be anyone in D5, just 3 D3, 3 D4, 2 D6.

I could see Archbold being willing to playing up (and competing.) LC would be the question. They'd do fine in football. Maybe cross country and a random year here and there in others. But what would happen when they start getting blasted in basketball or run ruled in baseball. I'm not sure they have the depth in their entire athletic department to play up in every sport.

Wouldn't even be 4 divisions in the small school division, at least until/if Southview went D2. There wouldn't be anyone in D5, just 3 D3, 3 D4, 2 D6.

I could see Archbold being willing to playing up (and competing.) LC would be the question. They'd do fine in football. Maybe cross country and a random year here and there in others. But what would happen when they start getting blasted in basketball or run ruled in baseball. I'm not sure they have the depth in their entire athletic department to play up in every sport.

Yeah, which is why I just don't think that would happen. To me, the play would be Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance or just try to solidify Napoleon's standing and get Tiffin to join for 12.

Is there any reason to believe that Tiffin Columbian is even interested in joining the NLL? Also, I think that Napoleon has absolutely no interest in leaving the NLL.

Is there any reason to believe that Tiffin Columbian is even interested in joining the NLL? Also, I think that Napoleon has absolutely no interest in leaving the NLL.
Nope, but they haven't been out about their opposition either (like Defiance, the only other natural fit), and there aren't really ANY other potential fits in the area in unstable conference situations.

Once the redistricting is to the HS in Southview I would expect them to be bigger than both Fremont and Clay so it would be one of those two moving to the smaller division.

Napoleon is the easy answer if Swanton were to leave. But if Napoleon entering the league means Evergreen, Delta, and maybe PH want out then the whole league essentially implodes. If the remaining 7 want to try to stick together and keep the NWOAL a viable league they may need to seek a replacement agreeable to all. That replacement may not be out there but do they try to pry a Tinora or Otsego away? Probably not gonna happen but they may give it a shot to keep the league intact.

Tinora would be interesting. Not sure how into the idea they may be, but they play LC. They compete well with Wauseon. They'd be a natural fit with Archbold. They've played Delta in the past. The GMC is a nice, compact league but maybe they'd do the step up, knowing they could keep the Fairview and Ayersville games early.