Northwest Ohio Realignment

Stability of having their own conference. The River schools don't care about tennis, swim, lacrosse. They don't have those sports anyway.

I think the River would greatly benefit from having their own conference.

What league tournaments are you referring to?
Ok. Never mind. You are clearly in the dark. Assumed you had solid rationale.

Why do you think you know more about what is best for them than they do?
It’s simply my opinion. But their division is about to implode lol. Can almost guarantee principals and AD’s at these schools are getting a backup plan in place just in case.

Maybe it's been mentioned. I thought maybe someone here can let me know if what I was told is correct. They said Northview's incoming class will be larger than the graduating class and that those schools are packed to the gills. I looked at Eitel and he lists Northview D2 and Southview D3. I recall Southview being D2 at one time.

These schools growing, shrinking, building new or adding space?

Maybe it's been mentioned. I thought maybe someone here can let me know if what I was told is correct. They said Northview's incoming class will be larger than the graduating class and that those schools are packed to the gills. I looked at Eitel and he lists Northview D2 and Southview D3. I recall Southview being D2 at one time.

Southview actually got to D1 at one point.

We used to scrimmage them every year and I remember playing them in the D2 playoffs in 2003, then a few years later, like 08? 09? We dropped to D3, they had gotten to D1, and the scrimmages stopped.

Keep in mind that the super D1 and adding D7 adjusted everyone down. SV would still comfortably be D2 in the old 6 division format.

Sorry Conference, not division. Yes, they are the most stable. Which is why I would believe it is in their best interest to "separate".
I don’t think it’s in their best interest because they are able to partake in some club sports they wouldn’t be able to partake in on their own - but it may very well come about that they have to break away.

Northview and Southview were roughly the same size up until the late 00's when Sylvania opened up enrollment internally. Everyone and their brother wanted into Northview when that happened (a whole different discussion as to why), which cause Southview to decrease by the sliding scale of that district. Now, with all of the construction on the western edge of the Township, think around Pacesetter Park area, they have had to redistrict again for the second time in about 5 years, in order to better balance enrollment. That whole new growth is hitting Highland and Central Trail, which are almost at capacity already, so things have been shifted considerably by understanding that the younger classes are growing considerably in one geographic area.

If they hadn't done so, McCord would be able 800 students larger than either of the other middle schools with the old 00s district lines, along with the two elementaries mentioned above being nearly double the size of any of the others. From what I've been told, they expect numbers to fall more in line with each other in the next 4-5 years as the re-balanced elementary school and middle school classes hit high school, while the increase in families is expected to net an increase of around 150-200 students from Northview's current total enrollment numbers when it's all said and done (while bumping Southview up by 250-300). Northview will always be between 150-300 more students just based on the capacity of the building...but those capacities may change within the next few years too if some conversations bear out in School Board meetings and Community drives.

Both schools are falling apart in some areas...I've heard they may be close to the State's threshold for capital reinvestment. Another thing thrown around has been Sylvania developing a plan to utilize the Lourdes campus as an educational center for the district should they no longer operate in their current state.

Northview and Southview were roughly the same size up until the late 00's when Sylvania opened up enrollment internally. Everyone and their brother wanted into Northview when that happened (a whole different discussion as to why), which cause Southview to decrease by the sliding scale of that district. Now, with all of the construction on the western edge of the Township, think around Pacesetter Park area, they have had to redistrict again for the second time in about 5 years, in order to better balance enrollment. That whole new growth is hitting Highland and Central Trail, which are almost at capacity already, so things have been shifted considerably by understanding that the younger classes are growing considerably in one geographic area.

If they hadn't done so, McCord would be able 800 students larger than either of the other middle schools with the old 00s district lines, along with the two elementaries mentioned above being nearly double the size of any of the others. From what I've been told, they expect numbers to fall more in line with each other in the next 4-5 years as the re-balanced elementary school and middle school classes hit high school, while the increase in families is expected to net an increase of around 150-200 students from Northview's current total enrollment numbers when it's all said and done (while bumping Southview up by 250-300). Northview will always be between 150-300 more students just based on the capacity of the building...but those capacities may change within the next few years too if some conversations bear out in School Board meetings and Community drives.

Both schools are falling apart in some areas...I've heard they may be close to the State's threshold for capital reinvestment. Another thing thrown around has been Sylvania developing a plan to utilize the Lourdes campus as an educational center for the district should they no longer operate in their current state.
Blow up both schools and build one high school school. They would be roughly the size of Mentor (900-1000 boys) which would be awesome from sports standpoint. Southview was DI in 2011. I believe that was the last time.

Blow up both schools and build one high school school. They would be roughly the size of Mentor (900-1000 boys) which would be awesome from sports standpoint. Southview was DI in 2011. I believe that was the last time.
You think soccer moms are bad? Wait til those competing their kids for Valedictorian get hold of your address. What is it?
giphy.webp

Mason - 1299
Fairfield - 1237
Iggy -1163
St. X - 1083
Centerville - 1049
Hamilton - 1026
Lakota East - 998
Lakota West - 998
Mentor - 937
West Clermont - 926
Oak Hills - 917
Reynoldsburg - 915
Gahanna Lincoln - 893
"Sylvania" - 879
Kettering Fairmont - 865
Medina - 861
Whitmer - 839

Mason - 1299
Fairfield - 1237
Iggy -1163
St. X - 1083
Centerville - 1049
Hamilton - 1026
Lakota East - 998
Lakota West - 998
Mentor - 937
West Clermont - 926
Oak Hills - 917
Reynoldsburg - 915
Gahanna Lincoln - 893
"Sylvania" - 879
Kettering Fairmont - 865
Medina - 861
Whitmer - 839
Thanks. I did the math a couple years back and combining both put them around 950ish so they have dropped a bit as schools obviously fluctuate a bit.

I have a friend who lives in Plano, TX which is a suburb of Dallas. They purposely stay away from splitting schools up for football. I believe Plano, Plano East, and Plano West all have around 3500 students. Being only 40 higher than Whitmer I think they could save on resources as well. Just me and I'm obviously a football guy.

Where is rmolin?

In
Mason - 1299
Fairfield - 1237
Iggy -1163
St. X - 1083
Centerville - 1049
Hamilton - 1026
Lakota East - 998
Lakota West - 998
Mentor - 937
West Clermont - 926
Oak Hills - 917
Reynoldsburg - 915
Gahanna Lincoln - 893
"Sylvania" - 879
Kettering Fairmont - 865
Medina - 861
Whitmer - 839
In these days of scarce educational funding, one school would be cheaper as well....economy of scale.

Thanks. I did the math a couple years back and combining both put them around 950ish so they have dropped a bit as schools obviously fluctuate a bit.

I have a friend who lives in Plano, TX which is a suburb of Dallas. They purposely stay away from splitting schools up for football. I believe Plano, Plano East, and Plano West all have around 3500 students. Being only 40 higher than Whitmer I think they could save on resources as well. Just me and I'm obviously a football guy.

Where is rmolin?
I live in Texas and I can confirm that football is a serious consideration when deciding on the number of high schools for a district, maybe the first consideration. Plano has huge schools, but they’re terrible at football lately. Better examples would be Allen and North Shore, both with more than 500 boys per grade and multiple campuses for one high school.

I live in Texas and I can confirm that football is a serious consideration when deciding on the number of high schools for a district, maybe the first consideration. Plano has huge schools, but they’re terrible at football lately. Better examples would be Allen and North Shore, both with more than 500 boys per grade and multiple campuses for one high school.

Those schools in Texas would be like if Dublin or Olentangy went with one school. It would be huge, but the talent on one team in pretty much every sport would be insane.

Since the TRAC and the NLL will be dissolving or changing I thought maybe it would be fund to have an all-TRAC/TCL and all-NLL team since 2000. Football overall in Ohio has dropped off a bit in recent years and NWOhio is no exception but some really good teams and talent ran through both leagues since 2000. The TCL/TRAC has had 4 state championships since then and the NLL has had one. Obviously Whitmer made the big boy division Final 4 three years in a row and lost in the state finals in 2012. Southview also lost in the D2 state finals in 1999. When I think of coaches that helped change the landscape of Toledo area football for the better and away from strict run offenses I think of Jim Mayzes (Southview), Cliff Hite (Findlay), Rick Rios (Rogers) and Joe Palka (Whitmer).

TCL/TRAC since 2000
QB - Deshone Kizer, Nick Holley, Brogan Roback, Kent Liddell-Smith, Donnie Dottei, Riley Keller, Brady Lichtenberg, Paul Casiano, Nate Wolfe, Shaun Patterson, Mickey Cassidy
RB - Michael Warren, Vance Settlemire, Lamar Carswell, Ryan Kersey (RIP), Nate Ball
RB - Drushuan Humphrey, Jody Webb, Rodney Gamby, Petey Hood, Nate White
WR - Dane Sanzenbacher, Jase Bowen
WR - Damond Powell, Nick Witcher, Zach Smith
WR - Ruben Flowers, Bryce Mitchell, Russ Yeast
TE - Fred Davis, Kevin Koger, Keith Towbridge, Zach Steinmetz, Joe Carroll
OL - Andrew Stanford, Mitchell Berg, Ethan Green, Rogers had a monster OT around 2010?
OL - Jack Mewhort, Brian Dooley, Jahniel Douglas (RIP)
OL - Eric Herman, Zach Harmon, Antoine Miles
OL - Jack Miller, Chris Boles, Terrell Baldwin
OL - Storm Norton, Kyle Cameron, Chris Reaper, Rob Cameron

DL - Chris Wormley, Dominique Kimble, Steve Fender
DL - Marquise Moore, Phil Hoskins
DL - James Hudson, Jamaal Tarrent,
DL - Kenny Hayes, DeMarko Craig, Brandon Taylor
LB - Kent Kern, Jaylin Thomas, John Lonchyna, Pete McIntyre, Dallas Fields
LB - Diontre Earl, Jack Linch, Jamar Ridley, Jake Pennesee
LB - Chris Green, Zach Sandwich, Paul Moses, Jordan Lonchyna, Marcus Waugh
Hybrid - Nate Holley, Jamie Thompson
DB - Cheatham Norrils, Pee-Wee Gambrell (RIP),
DB - Leroy Alexander, Darren Hampton, Shaun Blue, Steve Lewis
DB - Willis Barringer, Marcus Elliott Martuan Sample
DB - Mark Meyers, Jordan Kovacs, Pat Nunn

ALL-NLL since 2000
QB - Eric Page, Gus Dimmerling, Alex Pidcock, Travis Hafner, Aaron Mershman, Joey Schneider, Goatley(?), Matt Slocum
RB - Bryan Koback, Johnson (Southview burner?)
RB - Greg Brown
WR - Griff Whalen, Kelly Rowe(?)
WR - Shaun Joplin
WR - Bernard Pickney, Denard Pickney
TE - Nate Patterson, Bryce Boyer
OL - Andrew Donnal
OL - Austin Long, Austin Collins
OL - Mason Zimmerman
OL - Ryan Stout
OL - Luke Fortner

DL - Mike Haney
DL - Cade Zimmerly
DL - Cole Ragen
DL - TJ Fatinikun
LB - Mark Delas
LB - Greg Isley, Austin Valdez
LB - Chase Westfall
Hybrid - Allan Gant
DB - Keyon Marshall
DB - Darren Paige
DB - Nathan Hall
DB - Jimmy Hall

I'm missing kids. Napoleon kids? BG kids? Obviously heavy Southview and Perrysburg from recent memory.

How about an SLL/NBC team?

Those schools in Texas would be like if Dublin or Olentangy went with one school. It would be huge, but the talent on one team in pretty much every sport would be insane.
You’re right, it is amazing to watch. I follow North Shore closely as I live and work in the community and they have multiple D1 scholarship players every year. I believe they have five active NFL players with more surely to come with the last few years being some of the best talent they’ve had. Even with all of this talent, it still doesn’t replace NW Ohio small school Friday night football for me. Having games streamed this year didn’t disappoint.

Since the TRAC and the NLL will be dissolving or changing I thought maybe it would be fund to have an all-TRAC/TCL and all-NLL team since 2000. Football overall in Ohio has dropped off a bit in recent years and NWOhio is no exception but some really good teams and talent ran through both leagues since 2000. The TCL/TRAC has had 4 state championships since then and the NLL has had one. Obviously Whitmer made the big boy division Final 4 three years in a row and lost in the state finals in 2012. Southview also lost in the D2 state finals in 1999. When I think of coaches that helped change the landscape of Toledo area football for the better and away from strict run offenses I think of Jim Mayzes (Southview), Cliff Hite (Findlay), Rick Rios (Rogers) and Joe Palka (Whitmer).

TCL/TRAC since 2000
QB - Deshone Kizer, Nick Holley, Brogan Roback, Kent Liddell-Smith, Donnie Dottei, Riley Keller, Brady Lichtenberg, Paul Casiano, Nate Wolfe, Shaun Patterson, Mickey Cassidy
RB - Michael Warren, Vance Settlemire, Lamar Carswell, Ryan Kersey (RIP), Nate Ball
RB - Drushuan Humphrey, Jody Webb, Rodney Gamby, Petey Hood, Nate White
WR - Dane Sanzenbacher, Jase Bowen
WR - Damond Powell, Nick Witcher, Zach Smith
WR - Ruben Flowers, Bryce Mitchell, Russ Yeast
TE - Fred Davis, Kevin Koger, Keith Towbridge, Zach Steinmetz, Joe Carroll
OL - Andrew Stanford, Mitchell Berg, Ethan Green, Rogers had a monster OT around 2010?
OL - Jack Mewhort, Brian Dooley, Jahniel Douglas (RIP)
OL - Eric Herman, Zach Harmon, Antoine Miles
OL - Jack Miller, Chris Boles, Terrell Baldwin
OL - Storm Norton, Kyle Cameron, Chris Reaper, Rob Cameron

DL - Chris Wormley, Dominique Kimble, Steve Fender
DL - Marquise Moore, Phil Hoskins
DL - James Hudson, Jamaal Tarrent,
DL - Kenny Hayes, DeMarko Craig, Brandon Taylor
LB - Kent Kern, Jaylin Thomas, John Lonchyna, Pete McIntyre, Dallas Fields
LB - Diontre Earl, Jack Linch, Jamar Ridley, Jake Pennesee
LB - Chris Green, Zach Sandwich, Paul Moses, Jordan Lonchyna, Marcus Waugh
Hybrid - Nate Holley, Jamie Thompson
DB - Cheatham Norrils, Pee-Wee Gambrell (RIP),
DB - Leroy Alexander, Darren Hampton, Shaun Blue, Steve Lewis
DB - Willis Barringer, Marcus Elliott Martuan Sample
DB - Mark Meyers, Jordan Kovacs, Pat Nunn

ALL-NLL since 2000
QB - Eric Page, Gus Dimmerling, Alex Pidcock, Travis Hafner, Aaron Mershman, Joey Schneider, Goatley(?), Matt Slocum
RB - Bryan Koback, Johnson (Southview burner?)
RB - Greg Brown
WR - Griff Whalen, Kelly Rowe(?)
WR - Shaun Joplin
WR - Bernard Pickney, Denard Pickney
TE - Nate Patterson, Bryce Boyer
OL - Andrew Donnal
OL - Austin Long, Austin Collins
OL - Mason Zimmerman
OL - Ryan Stout
OL - Luke Fortner

DL - Mike Haney
DL - Cade Zimmerly
DL - Cole Ragen
DL - TJ Fatinikun
LB - Mark Delas
LB - Greg Isley, Austin Valdez
LB - Chase Westfall
Hybrid - Allan Gant
DB - Keyon Marshall
DB - Darren Paige
DB - Nathan Hall
DB - Jimmy Hall

I'm missing kids. Napoleon kids? BG kids? Obviously heavy Southview and Perrysburg from recent memory.

How about an SLL/NBC team?
Maumee all-state players since 2000
Drew Parry OL ‘03 1st
Corey Dewitte DL ‘03 2nd ‘04 1st
Alex Junga DB 1st ‘04
Brad Goatley LB 2nd ‘04
Jamie Brower K 2nd ‘08
Damon Contat OLB/WR HM ‘08/‘09
Eric Long RB HM ‘09
Corbin Frankhouse WR HM ‘10
Matt Williams OLB/WR HM ‘10
Evan Karchner LB 1st/2nd ‘10/‘11
Jake Schneider QB 1st ‘11
Mike Haney DL HM ‘17
Devon Cleghorn RB HM ‘17

You think soccer moms are bad? Wait til those competing their kids for Valedictorian get hold of your address. What is it?
giphy.webp

Yeah, especially in that district...it would be an utter nightmare having to deal with the entitlement from some of the parents. I could imagine those board meetings would be VERY fun to watch from the back row lol.

In

In these days of scarce educational funding, one school would be cheaper as well....economy of scale.
Not in my experience. Larger schools tend to spend more money per student. Part of that may be that larger schools are in urban areas, but more importantly I find that larger schools have more bloated bureaucracies.

Two smaller schools might have one principal each. If they merge, there tends to be one overall principal and then two-vice principals. Instead of one athletic director apiece, their is now one overall athletic director and two assistant AD's. Etc.

Not in my experience. Larger schools tend to spend more money per student. Part of that may be that larger schools are in urban areas, but more importantly I find that larger schools have more bloated bureaucracies.

Two smaller schools might have one principal each. If they merge, there tends to be one overall principal and then two-vice principals. Instead of one athletic director apiece, their is now one overall athletic director and two assistant AD's. Etc.
Yep, it's definitely a slippery slope. Washington Local looks to be doing more of the later with their reorganization of schools...everything I've heard points to the combined elementary school (taking over for Wernert and Jackman), and the combined Junior High (taking 6th from the elementary schools while combining 7th and 8th and mushing them all together in one building by the old Erme Field/Library area) all having multiple principals, not just vice principals. So really, there is no cutback whatsoever on administrative bloat, though they will save considerably on facility maintenance (which I feel is more to dap's point).

Yep, it's definitely a slippery slope. Washington Local looks to be doing more of the later with their reorganization of schools...everything I've heard points to the combined elementary school (taking over for Wernert and Jackman), and the combined Junior High (taking 6th from the elementary schools while combining 7th and 8th and mushing them all together in one building by the old Erme Field/Library area) all having multiple principals, not just vice principals. So really, there is no cutback whatsoever on administrative bloat, though they will save considerably on facility maintenance (which I feel is more to dap's point).
Much of this has to do with funding these days. Positions not being replaced. Teachers being asked to cover more ground. Etc.

Years ago on this board, I remarked at how dominant the suburban schools in Central Ohio would be if they didn't continue building additional HSs (for example, Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville all have 3 HSs). One of the arguments for building more HSs was the additional opportunities that are created for the students. There are only so many kids you can put on the basketball team. There are are only so many players who can be on the playing field or court at one time, and there are only so many minutes in a game. There are only so many speaking parts in the school plays. There are only so many positions on student council...etc.

Years ago on this board, I remarked at how dominant the suburban schools in Central Ohio would be if they didn't continue building additional HSs (for example, Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville all have 3 HSs). One of the arguments for building more HSs was the additional opportunities that are created for the students. There are only so many kids you can put on the basketball team. There are are only so many players who can be on the playing field or court at one time, and there are only so many minutes in a game. There are only so many speaking parts in the school plays. There are only so many positions on student council...etc.

I think the Olentangy schools showed that's not necessarily true though...they've got multiple schools that a state competitive in multiple sports every year it seems.

I think the Olentangy schools showed that's not necessarily true though...they've got multiple schools that a state competitive in multiple sports every year it seems.

they also all have very high (state tax money) economics and stable family demographics, all the things that correlate with extra-curricular success. They can afford the coaches, the trainers, the athletic extras. Other than the original Olentangy (and only part still), these are not salt of the Earth communities. They are created communities of skilled and professional trades families. I'm not sure even Sylvania and PBurg are comparable.

With an open or private enrollement that mimics a large school, sure it can be done. But all in one building eliminates the big fish in little pond option some will take and puts ALL the talent into one competitive triage.

they also all have very high (state tax money) economics and stable family demographics, all the things that correlate with extra-curricular success. They can afford the coaches, the trainers, the athletic extras. Other than the original Olentangy (and only part still), these are not salt of the Earth communities. They are created communities of skilled and professional trades families. I'm not sure even Sylvania and PBurg are comparable.

With an open or private enrollement that mimics a large school, sure it can be done. But all in one building eliminates the big fish in little pond option some will take and puts ALL the talent into one competitive triage.

Oh, for sure, it's a difficult decision either way and Olentangy is a completely different beast than anything we have up here for sure (I'd say it is a supercharged version of Anthony Wayne SD if anything matches at all).