Northwest Ohio Realignment

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
saw some conversation on the TRAC thread but this deserves its own thread as the tweet makes it sound like it will be almost all of the Northwest part of the state. have at it.

saw some conversation on the TRAC thread but this deserves its own thread as the tweet makes it sound like it will be almost all of the Northwest part of the state. have at it.

I don't know if I would go as far as "all of NW Ohio" as Strack somewhat eluded to. It sounds like the TRAC will be disbanded, the NLL will expand to multiple tiers, the NBC could merge into one of those tiers. Will there be some changes outside of that? Probably. But my guess is the above is the largest majority.

The remaining questions would be where does Northwood land? Where does Ottawa Hills, Toledo Christian, Emmanual and Stritch land?

Does Woodmore fill the open SBC River Spot?
Does Elmwood take the BVC invitation?

I’m a WBL fan, so I will only speak on behalf of my conference

Defiance I am assuming that they are trying to find a new home. I think that is best for both parties. WBL is not a baseball or basketball conference, both sports Defiance is outstanding at, so Defiance’s short coming recently in football and their apparent downswing in wrestling is not boding well. I feel like the drives will be better if they join a NLL type conference as well, and no more 1+ hour drives for the other teams in the WBL outside of the yearly trip to Van Wert, who is unfortunately stuck in no mans land.

If the TRAC disbands as I am hearing, Lima Senior should join the WBL. They really have no where else to go. I could see them becoming an independent as basketball runs the school and that would allow them to play a fully customizable schedule. I think it would benefit the rest of the WBL if they could start to play an uber athletic team on a yearly basis in football and basketball. Findlay could also be a possibility. I know they would be much, MUCH bigger than the rest of the WBL, but it is not like they have the athletes of a regular D1 school in most sports.

One wish I have that will most likely not happen, is Kenton to the CBC. The drives should be much better for them, and it’s not like they are producing much in anything other than football, and they’ve fallen off in that recently too. My dream scenario for the WBL would be

Bath
Celina
Findlay
Elida
Lima Senior
Ottawa Glandorf
Shawnee
St. Mary’s
Van Wert
Wapakoneta

I'm definitely hearing we may be jumping. The travel on 24 is definitely better, and it sounds like we'll be reunited with Napoleon, Bryan, and Wauseon, so that's a win. I'll miss the 110 year history with VW if we can't continue playing.

Theoretical for the VW people....if Defiance DOES leave and it was your choice to play us or Bryan week 1, who do you pick? I know I'd love to continue playing you guys.

Pointing out what is obvious to me with the bigger schools Perrysburg should be in the TRAC and Clay should be in the NLL. Maumee should be trying to downsize out of the NLL and Ross out of the TRAC.

I’m a WBL fan, so I will only speak on behalf of my conference

Defiance I am assuming that they are trying to find a new home. I think that is best for both parties. WBL is not a baseball or basketball conference, both sports Defiance is outstanding at, so Defiance’s short coming recently in football and their apparent downswing in wrestling is not boding well. I feel like the drives will be better if they join a NLL type conference as well, and no more 1+ hour drives for the other teams in the WBL outside of the yearly trip to Van Wert, who is unfortunately stuck in no mans land.

If the TRAC disbands as I am hearing, Lima Senior should join the WBL. They really have no where else to go. I could see them becoming an independent as basketball runs the school and that would allow them to play a fully customizable schedule. I think it would benefit the rest of the WBL if they could start to play an uber athletic team on a yearly basis in football and basketball. Findlay could also be a possibility. I know they would be much, MUCH bigger than the rest of the WBL, but it is not like they have the athletes of a regular D1 school in most sports.

One wish I have that will most likely not happen, is Kenton to the CBC. The drives should be much better for them, and it’s not like they are producing much in anything other than football, and they’ve fallen off in that recently too. My dream scenario for the WBL would be

Bath
Celina
Findlay
Elida
Lima Senior
Ottawa Glandorf
Shawnee
St. Mary’s
Van Wert
Wapakoneta
An addition of Kenton would put the CBC at an uneven number of schools, so I doubt that happens unless someone else is leaving

An addition of Kenton would put the CBC at an uneven number of schools, so I doubt that happens unless someone else is leaving
CBC would have to expand for that to happen, or else have a member or 2 leave for the OHC. the more likely scenario i see is the CBC breaking up into an old WCOC-type league and a MRVL type thing but with the madison county schools possibly.

this would leave bellefontaine without a home so they could replace Defiance in the WBL. Bellefontaine should be in the WBL, but i’m sure they’d ask for 2 non league slots to play ben logan and indian lake.

I think Kenton could fit in the MOAC as well, but they just got back to 8 and I doubt there would be much excitement to go back to an odd number.

I'd say the N10, but they're at 8 AND Kenton is a lot bigger than everyone besides Upper Sandusky.

CBC would have to expand for that to happen, or else have a member or 2 leave for the OHC. the more likely scenario i see is the CBC breaking up into an old WCOC-type league and a MRVL type thing but with the madison county schools possibly.

this would leave bellefontaine without a home so they could replace Defiance in the WBL. Bellefontaine should be in the WBL, but i’m sure they’d ask for 2 non league slots to play ben logan and indian lake.

They also just dropped Wapak to keep playing Sidney, so I imagine they'd want 3 non league.

Besides, right now Bellefontaine is within an hour of everyone in their league. In the WBL they're 1:20 from Van Wert, an hour from Celina, 1:05 from Elida, and 1:14 from Ottawa. I imagine it's why they originally left as is.

Wondered when big moves would start up again with all the odd match ups still left in the leagues in NW Ohio. I have my seatbelt on reading all this it could be one heck of a ride.

The CBC is so down right now...Alder is winning about everything across the board since they joined - four years, four all sports trophies in races that haven’t been particularly close (they will win it again this year) and many of the Springfield area schools are getting smaller. Urbana is a mess athletically. I don’t know. Nothing would surprise me out of that league

They also just dropped Wapak to keep playing Sidney, so I imagine they'd want 3 non league.

Besides, right now Bellefontaine is within an hour of everyone in their league. In the WBL they're 1:20 from Van Wert, an hour from Celina, 1:05 from Elida, and 1:14 from Ottawa. I imagine it's why they originally left as is.
you’re right. it would benefit the WBL to go to 2 divisions and then play 4 division games and 3 crossovers. that way Kenton and Bellefontaine won’t usually have to travel to Van Wert.

North: Van Wert, Bath, Elida, Shawnee, Ottawa Glandorf

South: Bellefontaine, Kenton, St Marys, Wapakoneta, Celina

or however you want to split it up.

The CBC is so down right now...Alder is winning about everything across the board since they joined - four years, four all sports trophies in races that haven’t been particularly close (they will win it again this year) and many of the Springfield area schools are getting smaller. Urbana is a mess athletically. I don’t know. Nothing would surprise me out of that league
True. I don't think the CBC makes much sense competitively. The new teams (Alder, London and North Union) seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the league ever since they joined IMO

i think the Clark County schools enjoy playing in Plain City and Alder would probably be happy playing in a league with the Clark, Madison, and Greene County schools. the Champaign/Logan/Union County schools in the area would form a league.

you’re right. it would benefit the WBL to go to 2 divisions and then play 4 division games and 3 crossovers. that way Kenton and Bellefontaine won’t usually have to travel to Van Wert.

North: Van Wert, Bath, Elida, Shawnee, Ottawa Glandorf

South: Bellefontaine, Kenton, St Marys, Wapakoneta, Celina

or however you want to split it up.

Man, been asking for this for years but could never figure out a way to do it and keep Lima schools together.

Trading Defiance for Bellefontaine cleans that up nicely.

Man, been asking for this for years but could never figure out a way to do it and keep Lima schools together.

going to the WBL would be quite a system shock for Bellefontaine. They need to turn things around. They scored 16 points in a varsity boys basketball game the other night and they were like 1-21 last year. Overall they aren’t doing much in a very down CBC.

going to the WBL would be quite a system shock for Bellefontaine. They need to turn things around. They scored 16 points in a varsity boys basketball game the other night and they were like 1-21 last year. Overall they aren’t doing much in a very down CBC.
which shocks me because they have recruited surrounding areas and they have the athletes and facilities to succeed. i think a culture shift to the WBL would help “set the standard”

Bellefontaine has been down for a few years now, but from what I have heard they have a good group of young athletes coming up right now that they are very excited about and should really improve over the next couple of years in all boys sports

More leagues than previously mentioned could be in for a shakeup as well. I've heard rumblings about a split in the NWOAL that will leave some major changes.

If Bellefontaine leaves the CBC, I think it's very likely that Indian Lake and Ben Logan would also be looking for a new home

I know Delta explored leaving. Bryan and Wauseon are so much bigger than everyone. PH is brought up everytime the BVC talks expansion.

I know Delta explored leaving. Bryan and Wauseon are so much bigger than everyone. PH is brought up everytime the BVC talks expansion.
Patrick Henry to the NWC would make much more sense than the BVC in logistics, sports, and facilities

With Leipsic now to the NWC, they've got Leipsic under 15 minutes down the road, Grove an easy 30 minute drive, and Bluffton, within 40 minutes with Ada and Allen East not much farther than that. Crestview, Delphos, and Spencerville are all around an hour which isn't ideal but much better than the BVC where their closest opponent would be McComb or North Baltimore at 30 minutes plus half of your other schools on the wrong side of Findlay.

Last edited:
If Bellefontaine leaves the CBC, I think it's very likely that Indian Lake and Ben Logan would also be looking for a new home
Ben Logan, Indian Lake, and company would form a version of the old WCOC

Big- Ben Logan, Indian Lake, Urbana, Graham, West Liberty Salem

Small- North Union, Riverside, Fairbanks, Mechanicsburg, Triad