Northwest Ohio Realignment

Maple_City_Fan

No reason not to schedule them since they're the remnants of Lorain Senior and AK.

I don't want to steer off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether Clearview ever hurt Senior or AK? You know, did either school really lose kids to Clearview? Larry Fortner and Larry Harris don't count.
Sandusky has been playing Lorain off and on last 6-7 years. Streaks won handily this past year

FremontKeith

No reason not to schedule them since they're the remnants of Lorain Senior and AK.

I don't want to steer off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether Clearview ever hurt Senior or AK? You know, did either school really lose kids to Clearview? Larry Fortner and Larry Harris don't count.
As I had mentioned in another post, Ross has played the Steelemen of Lorain which later became Lorain Senior, the Admiral King Admirals, and the Southview Saints. It's time we play the new Lorain High Titans.

Smalls

Some potential growth for Maumee Schools.

A plan for a new housing development on Black Road near The Shops at Fallen Timbers is slated for presentation Wednesday to the Lucas County Plan Commission.

Mitchell Development Co. is proposing 229 units on a site straddling Maumee’s border with Monclova Township, with 172 dwellings in the city and 57 in the township.

OHIOVSTW419

Saw on the head coach thread that Genoa's coach is heading back up into Michigan to Monroe High School. Them and Northview both being open IMO are two very nice opportunities. Northview is obviously a bigger school in what's to be a pretty attractive conference, but I think Genoa may be the better job at this point. Very strong middle school classes along with a ton of community support, and pretty successful programs across the board, most notably wrestling, which definitely helps the football program. Had IIRC a pretty athletic Sophomore qb too. Will be the 3rd head coach in as many seasons though.

chs1971

Saw on the head coach thread that Genoa's coach is heading back up into Michigan to Monroe High School. Them and Northview both being open IMO are two very nice opportunities. Northview is obviously a bigger school in what's to be a pretty attractive conference, but I think Genoa may be the better job at this point. Very strong middle school classes along with a ton of community support, and pretty successful programs across the board, most notably wrestling, which definitely helps the football program. Had IIRC a pretty athletic Sophomore qb too. Will be the 3rd head coach in as many seasons though.
I saw Genoa twice last year. He is a good coach.

OHIOVSTW419

I saw Genoa twice last year. He is a good coach.
I did as well and was very impressed. I know some people in the genoa community and they very much liked him as well. I also think he did a very good job, they were playing excellent football down the stretch, and the program is in very good shape there. Not something you often see from a one year coach.

ToledoGuy

Some potential growth for Maumee Schools.

A plan for a new housing development on Black Road near The Shops at Fallen Timbers is slated for presentation Wednesday to the Lucas County Plan Commission.

Mitchell Development Co. is proposing 229 units on a site straddling Maumee’s border with Monclova Township, with 172 dwellings in the city and 57 in the township.
All very much in Anthony Wayne Schools...nowhere close to the border with Maumee Schools. Short of the large Stone Co operation going out of business behind Meijer or a large swath of old disused buildings being wiped off the planet around the old Fort Miami School, there is nowhere to develop a large scale housing project in Maumee anymore. They have to rely on move-out recharge for enrollment (see my post a few pages back), which doesn't happen quickly.

Smalls

All very much in Anthony Wayne Schools...nowhere close to the border with Maumee Schools. Short of the large Stone Co operation going out of business behind Meijer or a large swath of old disused buildings being wiped off the planet around the old Fort Miami School, there is nowhere to develop a large scale housing project in Maumee anymore. They have to rely on move-out recharge for enrollment (see my post a few pages back), which doesn't happen quickly.

So some of the families who live in the Maumee City limits are part of the Anthony Wayne school district?

The comment about 172 dwellings being in the city limits throws me.

OHIOVSTW419

So some of the families who live in the Maumee City limits are part of the Anthony Wayne school district?

The district does have some strange boundaries IIRC. There are parts of Toledo off of Byrne Road and some off of Detroit Avenue as well that are the Maumee district.

smurfyeah19

To my knowledge it's Heatherdowns Rd as the North boundary, Reynolds/Conant with adjacent neighborhoods as West, Maumee River is South border, Ohio Turnpike & Byrne is the East border. If I'm not mistaken, Anthony Wayne used to be smaller than Lake in the NLL so it was no real thought that this was a bad setup. But when people buy homes and sit in them for 30-40 years with no real upscale condo/apartments, youth population dwindles. One of the best things they're doing off 24 is building nice apartments/condos as well out there.

NWOhioGuy

Yes. Both have the potential to be great jobs. It will be interesting to see which way both programs choose to go.

ToledoGuy

Yep, one of the goofier district maps this side of Washington Local/TPS around the Douglas/Tremainsville area or the Spencer Sharples area of TPS (only non-contiguous area of a school district in Ohio, where kids are bussed to Rogers HS while residing between Springfield and Swanton), which a whole bundle of craziness in and of itself lol

Maumee City Schools district line actually cuts off at Ford Rd down on Dussel (So all of Arrowhead Park, while giving taxes to Maumee City, gives their property tax from levies to Anthony Wayne Schools), and only goes down to the 475 overpass right by St. Lukes on Monclova. As was stated by another poster, MCS also includes everything south of Heatherdowns and north of the rail line from Key to Byrne and everything south of Heatherdowns from Reynolds to Holland-Perrysburg.

There are actually two areas where Maumee, AW, and Springfield districts intersect in the City of Maumee. Only two other areas in the county are like that, McCord and Bancroft, where TPS/Springfield/Sylvania intersects and Kenwood and Manchester where TPS/Washington Local/Ottawa Hills intersect. Craziest example of wonky district maps have got to be the houses on Kenwood and Evergreen that walk out their front door staring at Ottawa Hills High School across a two lane residential street, but have to be bussed to Whitmer.

Smalls

School districts are separate political entities.

I had seen that with townships (Perrysburg Township split between Rossford and Perrysburg schools for example) - didn't realize Maumee was like that.

Would love to understand the history behind that in Maumee's case.

1643318934358.png

1643319088449.png

Last edited:

irish_buffalo

Yep, one of the goofier district maps this side of Washington Local/TPS around the Douglas/Tremainsville area or the Spencer Sharples area of TPS (only non-contiguous area of a school district in Ohio, where kids are bussed to Rogers HS while residing between Springfield and Swanton), which a whole bundle of craziness in and of itself lol

Maumee City Schools district line actually cuts off at Ford Rd down on Dussel (So all of Arrowhead Park, while giving taxes to Maumee City, gives their property tax from levies to Anthony Wayne Schools), and only goes down to the 475 overpass right by St. Lukes on Monclova. As was stated by another poster, MCS also includes everything south of Heatherdowns and north of the rail line from Key to Byrne and everything south of Heatherdowns from Reynolds to Holland-Perrysburg.

There are actually two areas where Maumee, AW, and Springfield districts intersect in the City of Maumee. Only two other areas in the county are like that, McCord and Bancroft, where TPS/Springfield/Sylvania intersects and Kenwood and Manchester where TPS/Washington Local/Ottawa Hills intersect. Craziest example of wonky district maps have got to be the houses on Kenwood and Evergreen that walk out their front door staring at Ottawa Hills High School across a two lane residential street, but have to be bussed to Whitmer.
Washington Township. The little nugget South of the 184 number and the Shoreland Community.
1643376845142.png
Washington Local Schools
1643377121938.png

WLS was established back when the area above was all farmland and no one wanted it. Then once TPS saw the growth they wanted it and the residents said no. Has been a point of contention ever since.

ToledoGuy

Washington Township. The little nugget South of the 184 number and the Shoreland Community.
View attachment 25901
Washington Local Schools
View attachment 25902

WLS was established back when the area above was all farmland and no one wanted it. Then once TPS saw the growth they wanted it and the residents said no. Has been a point of contention ever since.
I love that they've been approached multiple times over the years to consolidate with TPS and each of those meetings has gone about exactly as you'd expect. The biggest coup for that district is that Franklin Park Mall ended up in their territory...that has been a ton of added revenue for the last 40 years.

irish_buffalo

I love that they've been approached multiple times over the years to consolidate with TPS and each of those meetings has gone about exactly as you'd expect. The biggest coup for that district is that Franklin Park Mall ended up in their territory...that has been a ton of added revenue for the last 40 years.
Agree and look at the stark difference between the two and how they are managed. WLS has benefited from being it's own entity.

dappling

What about the area off of Detroit avenue where the old Value City used to be? Also, several years ago there was talk of the rec center being developed.

ToledoGuy

What about the area off of Detroit avenue where the old Value City used to be? Also, several years ago there was talk of the rec center being developed.
One of the two Value Cities turned into a wedding venue, and the other has next to no land space needed for large scale SFH development (would fit 40 houses at most, and that's probably being aggressive with how oddly shaped that space is)...plus, no way those residents would go for apartments, which would probably be the more effective use of that space. By comparison, we're talking about a 270 home development just popping up again in AW, that has the potential for an influx of 400-500 students in the district, whereas 40 homes would maybe bring in 30 kids...that's the arm race Maumee has lost. The housing developments in the AW district that are coming up are 200-300 homes, each one could bring as many students as are currently enrolled in the entirety of Maumee High School...they're just playing a different game, and have the resources to continue to do it. It's more interesting to me if that district would ever consider splitting (I know it isn't at likely, but it's one of those thought exercises I like to do occasionally). At some point, Moncolva Twp., Waterville, and Whitehouse are all going to have enough people to self-sustain at least into the junior high levels, much like Sylvania has done. With the amount of bussing that may have to be done as their district fills out, the cost/benefit analysis may start skewing towards having separate, and smaller, 7/8 buildings (with enrollments in the 300s) in those dedicated areas to cut down on district transportation costs, plus I'd imagine residents would be happy with more 'local' schools in one of the larger (by land area) school districts in NW Ohio.

The Rec Center was talked about, then immediately shot down by the State because of one of the dumbest laws I've ever seen that was written in the late 1800s. Apparently the ORC requires EVERY county in the state to have a land area of no less than 15 acres dedicated to a County Fairground...the County requested that they have the ability to designate that space every year across the county, rather than wasting a large piece of development ready real-estate in a choked off suburb, and the State ruled by the letter of the law, that it must be permanent. Unless someone decides to give up their own personal land for it's use, the fairgrounds aren't being developed any time soon, despite it really being a perfect place to do so. It also didn't help that the two champions for that whole project were mired in petty corruption allegations/proceedings.

Last edited:

dappling

One of the two Value Cities turned into a wedding venue, and the other has next to no land space needed for large scale SFH development (would fit 40 houses at most, and that's probably being aggressive with how oddly shaped that space is)...plus, no way those residents would go for apartments, which would probably be the more effective use of that space. By comparison, we're talking about a 270 home development just popping up again in AW, that has the potential for an influx of 400-500 students in the district, whereas 40 homes would maybe bring in 30 kids...that's the arm race Maumee has lost. The housing developments in the AW district that are coming up are 200-300 homes, each one could bring as many students as are currently enrolled in the entirety of Maumee High School...they're just playing a different game, and have the resources to continue to do it. It's more interesting to me if that district would ever consider splitting (I know it isn't at likely, but it's one of those thought exercises I like to do occasionally). At some point, Moncolva Twp., Waterville, and Whitehouse are all going to have enough people to self-sustain at least into the junior high levels, much like Sylvania has done. With the amount of bussing that may have to be done as their district fills out, the cost/benefit analysis may start skewing towards having separate, and smaller, 7/8 buildings (with enrollments in the 300s) in those dedicated areas to cut down on district transportation costs, plus I'd imagine residents would be happy with more 'local' schools in one of the larger (by land area) school districts in NW Ohio.

The Rec Center was talked about, then immediately shot down by the State because of one of the dumbest laws I've ever seen that was written in the late 1800s. Apparently the ORC requires EVERY county in the state to have a land area of no less than 15 acres dedicated to a County Fairground...the County requested that they have the ability to designate that space every year across the county, rather than wasting a large piece of development ready real-estate in a choked off suburb, and the State ruled by the letter of the law, that it must be permanent. Unless someone decides to give up their own personal land for it's use, the fairgrounds aren't being developed any time soon, despite it really being a perfect place to do so. It also didn't help that the two champions for that whole project were mired in petty corruption allegations/proceedings.
Thanks for a great reply.

I am going to reiterate what others have said…

In 5-10 years when both pburg and aw have 2300 kids in their high school, we will be looking at another realignment.

smurfyeah19

Thanks for a great reply.

I am going to reiterate what others have said…

In 5-10 years when both pburg and aw have 2300 kids in their high school, we will be looking at another realignment.
I'd lean closer to 5 😅 There's just no way we don't end up with the TRAC all over again, this side of town is seeing Columbus like growth. And it's noticeable on Farmers Market days how many families are here compared to other parts of the area. Looks like an invasion of strollers

CCHS93

I'd lean closer to 5 😅 There's just no way we don't end up with the TRAC all over again, this side of town is seeing Columbus like growth. And it's noticeable on Farmers Market days how many families are here compared to other parts of the area. Looks like an invasion of strollers
The only way it doesnt happen in 5-7 years is if Perrysburg and AW split their schools like they did in Pickerington, Westerville, Dublin, Hilliard, etc... (and Sylvania too).

One cannot argue with the demographic trends happening in Whitehouse and Perrysburg.

eastisbest

PHS is already situated in the new growth boring as f but someone will be stupid enough to pay 250,000 for them developments. Anyone know to what capacity they built that school? A second school would have to be in old growth. That's political damage right there.

Which yuppyville is Central going to put the new school when they abandon the city for some AC?

ToledoGuy

PHS is already situated in the new growth boring as f but someone will be stupid enough to pay 250,000 for them developments. Anyone know to what capacity they built that school? A second school would have to be in old growth. That's political damage right there.

Which yuppyville is Central going to put the new school when they abandon the city for some AC?
I think they built the high school to be able to achieve modular growth if needed (like Olentangy Liberty was). Lord knows they got a ton of space left on that property to do it if they need it.

I still don't get how people buy those Buckeye Real Estate development homes...some of the worst build quality I've seen.

TRAC Football

I think they built the high school to be able to achieve modular growth if needed (like Olentangy Liberty was). Lord knows they got a ton of space left on that property to do it if they need it.

I still don't get how people buy those Buckeye Real Estate development homes...some of the worst build quality I've seen.
The $250,000 Buckeye homes in PB built 5-6 years ago are selling for almost $450,000 now…