Northwest Ohio Realignment

tucson

Bath's enrollment is just fine. They're the smallest in the WBL right now for football, but if you look at the ODE enrollment information the current class sizes in elementary are notably bigger than O-G, and bigger or on par with Van Wert and Kenton. Bath even has more 3rd and 4th graders than St Marys does. Bath's middle school class sizes are also bigger than their current high school class. So, yeah, Bath isn't shrinking out of the WBL. Enrollment has peaks and valleys and as a whole it's not like Bath is shrinking while the majority of WBL schools are having a population boom. This isn't Hilliard or Olentangy. I think the WBL will continue to be a D3-D5 league (in football at least) for a while.

Johnson&Johnson

New format they are using is they changing divisions every year based on enrollment. So the biggest school in the River next year (Lakota I think) could possibly be in the Bay in ‘23 if they become larger than the smallest Bay school
That's inaccurate. Lakota will never be a Bay school. It's been determined by the conference because regardless of their size, it makes zero sense. Willard is bigger than them and would be the floater school. They're in River for football starting in 2023.

CC Track Fan

Kenton is bigger than OG though. Then again OG is competitive in almost everything and fits well, where Bath and Kenton have a couple good sports and struggle otherwise.

My ultimate WBL as a Defiance fan, if we ever went divisions, is add Napoleon, Bryan, Wauseon, and maybe LB and go north/south. 7 in each, yearly crossover on bye weeks in Division. But I also love the 10 team round robin.
Kenton total was bigger 3 years ago (by 18 when 5 years ago it was 58) wonder what it is now and more importantly 5 or 10 years down the road. It just seems Kenton is shrinking faster than OG.

As you pointed out from a competitive standpoint OG does much more with same number of students.

tcgobucks

Kenton total was bigger 3 years ago (by 18 when 5 years ago it was 58) wonder what it is now and more importantly 5 or 10 years down the road. It just seems Kenton is shrinking faster than OG.

As you pointed out from a competitive standpoint OG does much more with same number of students.
OG 203, Kenton 195, Bath 185....boys in top 3 grades according to OHSAA site

BGSUGrad

Just did a quick search and class sizes at LB range from 133 to 97, not sure what that means as far as jumping to D4, a lot would probably depend on the number of open enrollment kids they get and large the families are moving into the new sub divisions being built near Hilcrest

jafo

Just did a quick search and class sizes at LB range from 133 to 97, not sure what that means as far as jumping to D4, a lot would probably depend on the number of open enrollment kids they get and large the families are moving into the new sub divisions being built near Hilcrest
Not to worry, the LB "people" will make sure and tell new people who move into Findlay how much better LB is than Findlay.

eastisbest

Between 2000 and 2017, total employment in Mercer County climbed by nearly a third, to 20,044. During that same period, manufacturing jobs shot up nearly 80 percent, from 3,859 to 6,904, according to federal jobs data.

dhsdog06

Here are the total. I believe OG gets quite a few kids from a Catholic school starting in 9th grade. Any other school get additional kids from private school in HS?

View attachment 23112

Defiance gets some from both the Catholic (grade 7 I believe) and Lutheran (grade 9) schools in town, but you're talking MAYBE 15-20 kids total. Not just boys, kids. Not sure how either school still operates tbh.

It's crazy to look at these numbers now. 1471 over 8 grades....I hear my mom talk about the early 80s when they had close to that just 9-12. 184 average grade....I graduated 15 years ago with a class of 188, and that was considered a small class. Considering the city is slightly growing, either Tinora and/or Ayersville are taking quite a few kids, or the trend isn't just smaller families, it's real small families.

SBClives

Wapakoneta 7th grade 278. OG 7th grade 89. Goes to show the athletes and coaching they have to compete with schools that much bigger.

scbuckeye99

Defiance gets some from both the Catholic (grade 7 I believe) and Lutheran (grade 9) schools in town, but you're talking MAYBE 15-20 kids total. Not just boys, kids. Not sure how either school still operates tbh.

It's crazy to look at these numbers now. 1471 over 8 grades....I hear my mom talk about the early 80s when they had close to that just 9-12. 184 average grade....I graduated 15 years ago with a class of 188, and that was considered a small class. Considering the city is slightly growing, either Tinora and/or Ayersville are taking quite a few kids, or the trend isn't just smaller families, it's real small families.
There was a time in the early 90s that speculation around Lima land was Elida would surpass Lima Senior in enrollment by the end of the decade. Never happened and unfortunately Elida's enrollment much like the rest of the county / region has been plummeting for a good minute now.

As a high school student 22 years ago I thought my family of 4 was the odd family because it was just my sister and I. Most of my friends / classmates came from families of 5 or more. Now as a teacher I find it surprising when it's the opposite. Rare is it I have a student these days who has multiple siblings.

tcgobucks

Many years ago I met the superintendent and principal from O-G. They said they had three non-Catholic families in the schools.

I can assure you that since the mid-70's at least....there has always been more than 3 lol. Yes, it used to be even more Catholic than it is now but never to that extreme. When I was in HS there..... (quite a few years ago) my class was probably 90%+ Catholic.....I'm guessing now that it's closer to 75%

BirdDog10

Many years ago I met the superintendent and principal from O-G. They said they had three non-Catholic families in the schools.
Maybe at Glandorf, which still operates separately for K-8, but not O-G. The massive majority of Glandorf is still catholic families. Ottawa still probably has a catholic majority, but not even close to the percentage of Glandorf or some of the other towns in Putnam County

dhsdog06

I'd be willing to bet there's a decent Lutheran population in Continental, Miller City, and Leipsic as well. Defiance and Henry County are kinda the Lutheran hotbed of the area, and I'd imagine a few filtered south.

But otherwise it's definitely a large Catholic majority.