Northwest Ohio Realignment

CC Track Fan

Would that travel be much different than most small town and rural schools really?
Nearly all the small/rural schools in Ohio barely have to leave their tri-county area to find games. Yes if nearly every game is an hour plus (or two) away that will get very old very quick for coaches and players (other than for football since it would only be 5 road trips on Fridays or Saturdays).

eastisbest

^^^ You win!!!! Johnny, what does our contestant get for opening the 100th page? Uh, nothing. :mad:

Maybe I'll go delete a post, lol.
Nearly all the small/rural schools in Ohio barely have to leave their tri-county area to find games. Yes if nearly every game is an hour plus (or two) away that will get very old very quick for coaches and players (other than for football since it would only be 5 road trips on Fridays or Saturdays).

Tri-county. That's what the Catholics would be doing, they just happen to be on one end. That must happen in the rural districts too Someone has to be on the ends/extremes and the Toledo Caths will still be playing each other. I think they'll be alright.

Last edited:

dhsdog06

Omg the Toledo kids might have to travel for once?

The horror.

ayCC!

In other NWO football news, allegedly the running back McCoy from SFS is transferring to Whitmer, probably due to Chipka leaving.

Obviously this is sports-driven, but (and this is me being genuinely curious) is he within the WLS district or is this Whitmer beginning to flex those open-enrollment muscles? (No, I’m not crying recruitment, good for them to utilize that for program success, if it is the case anyways)

Regardless, it’s a win for both parties involved if true. McCoy escapes what is sure to be a down year for SFS while getting more attention and Whitmer gets a very solid offensive weapon.

ToledoGuy

In other NWO football news, allegedly the running back McCoy from SFS is transferring to Whitmer, probably due to Chipka leaving.

Obviously this is sports-driven, but (and this is me being genuinely curious) is he within the WLS district or is this Whitmer beginning to flex those open-enrollment muscles? (No, I’m not crying recruitment, good for them to utilize that for program success, if it is the case anyways)

Regardless, it’s a win for both parties involved if true. McCoy escapes what is sure to be a down year for SFS while getting more attention and Whitmer gets a very solid offensive weapon.
Whitmer also has a freshman QB from Eastwood who I wouldnt be shocked by him starting within the year...was the first OE Applicant for the district.

smurfyeah19

Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out. I'd have to check again but if I'm not mistaken Whitmer only lost 2 games in TRAC play to schools not named Central Catholic from 2011-2019.

Last edited:

ToledoGuy

Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out
Specifically in football? Probably? (even though they are not a good team right now and likely wouldn't even end up in the top half of the standings). I don't think they would've beaten AW in any of their big years honestly...but it would've been a fun game to watch. If it is a 6-team alignment, with Findlay, Whitmer, NV, AW, Clay, and Springfield, I'd argue that they wouldn't "run through the league", because Findlay is going to be a better team than them for at least the next two years.

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports and, honestly, the only girls team that will likely compete for a league championship in anything even remotely resembling a "regular" manner would be softball, where they were mercy-ed by the NLL Champ [Springfield] and lost badly to both AW and Perrysburg in practice games before the season). Baseball? Nope, AW and Perrysburg are far better programs, soccer, LOL, basketball, Whitmer has become an also-ran, track, they'd have a chance most years, but likely wouldn't be the favorites.

They are the first team to get dumped if they can't get to 12 though, that's for sure. The NLL is perfectly fine with Whitmer being in there in a 2-division setup, but if there is an odd-man-out scenario, I could easily see them rescinding their invite and/or voting them out to make it back to even.

eastisbest

Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out. I'd have to check again but if I'm not mistaken Whitmer only lost 2 games in TRAC play to schools not named Central Catholic from 2011-2019.

The game changer isn't Whitmer. It's the open enrollment, putting them on the same playing field as the privates. A closed enrollment Whitmer is only competitive, not dominant in the new league. Still to be seen if they "dominate." I doubt they will anymore than Central did across all sports. They will make the league stronger because unlike Central, they are less likely to be taking from the burbs. If anything, those kids from the burbs who were looking for a stronger program might now choose Whitmer with it's diverse curriculum, population and lack of bullets flying overhead, over Central.

Academically or athletically, Whitmer places kids anywhere any of the privates do plus they teach carpentry.

BirdDog10

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports
That might be true, but those sports are an after thought when it comes to league alignment. The league shuffling this year is fueled almost completely by football with maybe a second thought given to basketball - not much beyond that.

chs1971

Expanding beyond eight was the worst mistake they could ever make.

ToledoGuy

That might be true, but those sports are an after thought when it comes to league alignment. The league shuffling this year is fueled almost completely by football with maybe a second thought given to basketball - not much beyond that.

I mean, I get it but there are a lot more players and parents in those other sports than in football who won't be bothered one bit about Whitmer being in their conference from a competitive talent perspective. To say it was about football is a bit misleading...the league shuffling was due to public schools not wanting to play private schools anymore, regardless of sport.

jafo

Is it my imagination that it seems like most of the posters that have a problem with the new NLL aren't even fans of any schools in the new NLL?

smurfyeah19

Yeah lol I was referring to Football only here. I'd agree CHS as well, expanding beyond 8 or 10 is idiotic.

Specifically in football? Probably? (even though they are not a good team right now and likely wouldn't even end up in the top half of the standings). I don't think they would've beaten AW in any of their big years honestly...but it would've been a fun game to watch. If it is a 6-team alignment, with Findlay, Whitmer, NV, AW, Clay, and Springfield, I'd argue that they wouldn't "run through the league", because Findlay is going to be a better team than them for at least the next two years.

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports and, honestly, the only girls team that will likely compete for a league championship in anything even remotely resembling a "regular" manner would be softball, where they were mercy-ed by the NLL Champ [Springfield] and lost badly to both AW and Perrysburg in practice games before the season). Baseball? Nope, AW and Perrysburg are far better programs, soccer, LOL, basketball, Whitmer has become an also-ran, track, they'd have a chance most years, but likely wouldn't be the favorites.

They are the first team to get dumped if they can't get to 12 though, that's for sure. The NLL is perfectly fine with Whitmer being in there in a 2-division setup, but if there is an odd-man-out scenario, I could easily see them rescinding their invite and/or voting them out to make it back to even.
The 6 team alignment is a stupid idea unless they're going to mandate crossover games. The SBC clearly showed this is a failure of an idea long term, Oak Harbor bolted the second they could. Lets be honest, Football is the only one where scheduling really matters. All other sports are pretty local when it comes to games

eastisbest

Yeah lol I was referring to Football only here. I'd agree CHS as well, expanding beyond 8 or 10 is idiotic.

The 6 team alignment is a stupid idea unless they're going to mandate crossover games. The SBC clearly showed this is a failure of an idea long term, Oak Harbor bolted the second they could. Lets be honest, Football is the only one where scheduling really matters. All other sports are pretty local when it comes to games

.. seems to me the city publics often schedule the small town schools for sports. And if a school has an above local par LAX, they're going to schedule snooty so they can challenge for state. BTW: If picking only one, LAX is a sport I would like to see at all the city publics. It should definitely be taught in the gym classes (nerf ball or there will be murder charges). There should be at least three crew teams, shared athletes if need be. I know those that want to swim have an outlet, there was a diver from Waite not long ago that was really good I guess. But I don't know how they arrange that. Do they work with another school or completely independent?

I realize I probably missed the true intent of your post, something about number of league members but, 200 looms!!!!

Last edited:

doubtme

It's time for football only league(s) to solve some these issues IMO

TRAC Football

Too late to transfer back???

dhsdog06

Far more leagues have fallen apart because they HAD mandatory crossovers than ones that fell apart because they didn't.

The last thing the NLL needs to do is tell Napoleon you HAVE to play Whitmer. A lot of crossovers will naturally happen because it's a tight geographical area and the schools are familiar with each other. Start mandating games between big and small schools, you're guaranteed it all falls apart.

smurfyeah19

Far more leagues have fallen apart because they HAD mandatory crossovers than ones that fell apart because they didn't.

The last thing the NLL needs to do is tell Napoleon you HAVE to play Whitmer. A lot of crossovers will naturally happen because it's a tight geographical area and the schools are familiar with each other. Start mandating games between big and small schools, you're guaranteed it all falls apart.
The NLL members invited these schools, you get what you asked for. Either man up and play it out, or do crossover games based on last years rankings.

dhsdog06

The NLL members invited these schools, you get what you asked for. Either man up and play it out, or do crossover games based on last years rankings.

Yeah clearly you don't fully grasp what's actually going on here.

They didn't add schools because everyone wants to play everyone. They added because their was a growing divide between the big schools and small schools that long term threatened the entire league's existence.

Big and small divisions will work just fine, assuming they find a 12th. They'll function well as basically 2 separate leagues under one umbrella, with the benefit of flexibility should things drastically change. And again, there will be plenty of crossovers, because there's no way the Southviews and Bowling Greens of the conference DON'T play the Springfields and Perrysburg that are right next door. No reason to ever have mandatory crossovers in a 12 team league. 14 is different because lining up byes is easier than trying to find a game week 6-10, but in a world where the SBC Lake, SBC River, and TCL are all 6 teams, the privates are independent, and who knows what is going to happen in the NWOAL, there's plenty of games to go around week 4 and 5.

I will say this. If they end up at 11, I think no divisions is the way to go. You'd have to go 6 or 8 game league schedule (7 leaves an odd number of games and someone playing 6 or 8 anyway), so I'd go with either deciding who doesn't play by size or by the last 2 years standings at that point. Or if they DO have divisions, I'd honestly give the big division the 5. They have the privates available for byes, but I can't see the small schools wanting to play them. 11 is a weird number, but can be done. They'd just be better at 12.

Last edited:

doubtme

They didn't add schools because everyone wants to play everyone. They added because their was a growing divide between the big schools and small schools that long term threatened the entire league's existence.

Big and small divisions will work just fine, assuming they find a 12th. They'll function well as basically 2 separate leagues under one umbrella, with the benefit of flexibility should things drastically change. And again, there will be plenty of crossovers, because there's no way the Southviews and Bowling Greens of the conference DON'T play the Springfields and Perrysburg that are right next door. No reason to ever have mandatory crossovers in a 12 team league. 14 is different because lining up byes is easier than trying to find a game week 6-10, but in a world where the SBC Lake, SBC River, and TCL are all 6 teams, the privates are independent, and who knows what is going to happen in the NWOAL, there's plenty of games to go around week 4 and 5.

I will say this. If they end up at 11, I think no divisions is the way to go. You'd have to go 6 or 8 game league schedule (7 leaves an odd number of games and someone playing 6 or 8 anyway), so I'd go with either deciding who doesn't play by size or by the last 2 years standings at that point. Or if they DO have divisions, I'd honestly give the big division the 5. They have the privates available for byes, but I can't see the small schools wanting to play them. 11 is a weird number, but can be done. They'd just be better at 12.
The SBC Bay will only be six teams for two more years. Then they have to make some decisions for their football alignment.

That's if Willard can't get out in that time frame as well

smurfyeah19

Oh no I grasp it. What I'm saying is this is a recipe for failure unless they get 16 teams. The whole multi-division league or the 6 team league is just not really a sustainable long term option in NW Ohio. The GBC failed relatively quickly and now the SBC is imploding

Last edited:

ToledoGuy

And to be honest I doubt this NLL does. My opinion though so we'll see what happens

I just haven't seen a strong opinion of why that is? Where else are they going to go...this isn't an SBC situation where you have essentially three different conferences under one umbrella...the SBC is having a tough time because Oak Harbor found a better landing spot geographically and with historic rivals and some tiny schools closed/reorganized and neither of those is really going to happen for any of these NLL teams. I doubt any of them are all that unhappy with the situation, otherwise they wouldn't have voted unanimously for it, they simply would've added one and been fine with it.

The GBC was an "island of misfit toys" conference with literal hours between schools...this is NOTHING like that conference.