Northwest Ohio Football Talk

I toured Siena Heights with my kids and it was about as Catholic as Toledo Islamic Academy.
I get that. The Catholic church developed a new business model roughly 30 years ago purely out of survival instincts.

I'm waiting for them to serve again and not holding my breath.

Javon Murphy from Central committed to Tiffin. So Clark will be throwing to Murphy again. Also, Riley Keller from Whitmer transferred to Tiffin last year.

I get that. The Catholic church developed a new business model roughly 30 years ago purely out of survival instincts.

I'm waiting for them to serve again and not holding my breath.
Incidentally Bill Murray's sister (yes that Bill Murray) is a nun at Siena Heights.

When we toured Siena we asked about Mass and they emphasized over and over that you dont have to go. Kind of off putting since we were asking because we wanted to go.

Maybe it was just a bad tour or something but we heard it multiple times from multiple people.

Sounds like a Catholic kid through and through.

My dad and I used to go to the Michigan State tournament every year. One year Allen Park Inter-City Baptist was in the finals. I misread the program as “Inner-City Baptist” and was not familiar with Allen Park, MI other than being “near Detroit.”

Boy, was I surprised when they came out of the locker room.

Back in my olden times: Memorial Day Parade which ended at the cemetery. Listened to a speaker after several groups laid a wreath at the Memorial. Then we visited loved ones graves to pay our respects. Family picnic while listening to the Indy 500 on AM radio. Next day back to the grind. Hardly a vacation. It WAS a day of remembrance not a day of celebration.

In 2023 Memorial Day will be observed on Monday, May 29.

Anyone attending the passing scrimmage Wednesday evening will not be missing the parade.

Last edited:
beat me to it. Might be a where you live thing. The cemeteries are nowhere near as visited as they used to be. The city does still have a parade and wreath ceremony. I don't see a lot of family time going on there.
most schools are on summer break before memorial day, and some blue collar families go on vacay that week because parents could save a vacation day. I was more focused on the fact that 7 on 7's are now happening in May, its just getting more and more ridiculous every year. I do fully understand your point though. If it were up to me, I would shut down all high school related sports over the summer other than weight room times. But practicing defensive schemes that will be never used in a real game to defend smash route concepts and flood concepts is really important.

Last edited:
most schools are on summer break before memorial day, and some blue collar families go on vacay that week because parents could save a vacation day. I was more focused on the fact that 7 on 7's are now happening in May, its just getting more and more ridiculous every year. I do fully understand your point though. If it were up to me I would shut down all high school related sports over the summer other than weight room times. But practicing defensive schemes that will be never used in a real game situation to defend smash route concepts and flood concepts is really important.
I hear it. These days though, I think those summer practices might be the only time some of these kids see a real life, non AI human and in some of our cities particularly, giving kids structure away from the streets is the end game. I appreciate the time those coaches give up from family. OHSAA should allow contact to haul the entire team and their parents to the Memorial Ceremony.

Not to get on my soapbox, but here is some perspective- My entire oline from high school were trade school/ffa kids, in todays environment of year round semi-mandatory sports participation, none of them would have probably played and these guys were all conference/district type kids on a state semi team. Its not the video games, its the time commitment. This is killing middle and small sized schools in Ohio's rural areas.

If the Wing T is working and they're chewing clock like they want, no not often.

Obviously yes, they'll get something out of it. Van Wert runs a lot of spread concepts and screens with athletes that are tough to defend. Defiance might have the best returning QB in the WBL (no disrespect to Wapak's), and we're in the gun a lot, just rely on the run more than the pass. Kenton still runs their scheme, just not well. Every different look they can get can help.

But I tend to agree. May seems a bit early.....

Are they still playing at UF for football? Glad to see some turf finally get put down at their baseball field (shame we'll probably never play on it in the near future).
Football games are played at Donnell Stadium which belongs to Findlay City Schools via the Donnell Foundation. UF plays their games there probably for a fee although I'm not sure about that.. If you meant for practice, I have no idea.

Football games are played at Donnell Stadium which belongs to Findlay City Schools via the Donnell Foundation. UF plays their games there probably for a fee although I'm not sure about that.. If you meant for practice, I have no idea.
Donnell Stadium is completely funded by the Donnell Foundation so the maintenance/improvements cost is little to none for FCS. I believe when the foundation was set-up it was stated that UF was able to use it. UF does not pay a fee but FHS does operate the concession stands for UF games at the same time UF lets FHS use their pool at no cost for the swim and dive season and UF uses FHS track for outdoor practices. The two schools work well together because it is in both of their interests to do so.

Ironic how a couple years ago if the levy didn't pass FCS would cut all transportation for all extra curricular activities along with other cuts. The levy failed badly and none of those cuts happened and now they suddenly have 2+ million for field turf. I guess the voters were right they didn't need the levy.
Maybe Coach Adams is a good fundraiser. :)

I only offered a million. ;) I still think that they are worried about losing more students to the west.
I am sure that is true (not the million part :)) but not sure that it will help. Better coaches that lead to more competitive teams would be more effective.

Ironic how a couple years ago if the levy didn't pass FCS would cut all transportation for all extra curricular activities along with other cuts. The levy failed badly and none of those cuts happened and now they suddenly have 2+ million for field turf. I guess the voters were right they didn't need the levy.
This is happening all over, private donors will provide money to athletics and get taxwrite offs but will vote down a levy. Then the general public that doesn't understand this, comes to the conclusion "they don't need no levy, they just bought _________ for sports". Where in reality the school funding is dependent on local levy moneys due to Ohio's education funding structure.

This is happening all over, private donors will provide money to athletics and get taxwrite offs but will vote down a levy. Then the general public that doesn't understand this, comes to the conclusion "they don't need no levy, they just bought _________ for sports". Where in reality the school funding is dependent on local levy moneys due to Ohio's education funding structure.
Try reading this page again it maybe happening all over the place but that doesn't mean it is happening in this case. Private dollars are not funding the fields. The school district is borrowing 2 million to pay for the fields and the loan will be payed back by money collected in the future from a current tax levy that Findlay tax payers will pay every six months on their real estate tax bill.