No Band No Football

Massillon fans in general leave early if they are losing. And they supposedly have the best band ever?!?
Marching Band Parade GIF

I'm so glad I'm a Massillon fan. It's so much fun going to a football game and getting the whole experience. Watching a great football team with thousands of other fans in the best high school stadium. And then watching a great half time show by a real band and then checking my 50/50 ticket to see if I won the usual $2500 pot. Watching fireworks after every score. Tailgating that rivals college games. I couldn't imagine going to a game at Hoban, watching bought players, no band, etc.

And yes I agree 100 percent if the private schools will spend whatever they can to buy athletes (and it is a fact that they raid the talent pool buying athletes), that they should not be aloud to field sports teams in the OHSAA.

This is an important issue because it exposes the " so called" religious schools for who they really are. When you pick and choose which kids you are going to help, you really dont care about any of them. The Hobans of this world are using these kids to make a name for themselves.

This is an important issue because it exposes the " so called" religious schools for who they really are. When you pick and choose which kids you are going to help, you really dont care about any of them. The Hobans of this world are using these kids to make a name for themselves.
As someone who went to a big Div 1 Private school , St Ed’s I can tell you the interest in the band is little to zero , they even give out full music scholarships and still nothing.

the biggest band has maybe been 25-30 ppl in all the years iv been around the program , the student body has no interest in it. Plain and simple

This is a silly topic but some funny reactions. I don’t know about all the GCL Coed teams but there are bands at Alter and McNick that I’m aware of. Alters band is very big (at least last season) and McNick has maybe 15 most years. McNicholas band director I’m sure welcomes anyone but there just isn’t much interest.

As an aside,I know Roger Bacon has a band I can’t say for sure about Badin, CJ, Carroll, Fenwick. If they have bands they probably don’t travel.

Last edited:
Sounds like football players aren't competent enough to attend college, so they should study music theory so they can get into college, where they'll keep working hard, earn a degree in American History, and get a job as a welder or truck driver? Maybe if they really put in a lot of extra time, they can own their own landscaping company or work for Amazon's logistics dept.? Please help me understand how this thread isn't trolling.

I enjoy a good band on a Friday night. Adds to the atmosphere. But people forget, it’s a FOOTBALL game and not a band show. So the next time your local band parent complains, tell them to shut up and go blow a horn
Yep. This is it. The vast majority of people are there to watch football. The band is fine but nobody other than their parents are there to watch them and half of them probably don't want to be there.

You haven’t lived until you’ve followed the Dover band through town and seen the entire community arrive at the game at the same time. The best football towns venerate their band programs as they know how much value they add to the atmosphere. The privates and the 4-6 public pretenders with their lonely tubas lie to themselves about it being an either/or situation.

This thread is comical, instead of ignoring a "DUMB" thread like a smart person would, they click on it just to go bonkers!😂

The band will never be more than the second fiddle to the football team. The band makes the atmosphere better but without the game, the band would be playing for their parents every week and that's it. A good football team gives the bands thousands of listeners for their concerts every week. There's nothing wrong with being Robin. Not everyone can be batman.

If your gonna buy 100 players to be on the sideline and not even attempt to have a comparable band, your school is a complete joke. It just shows that your supposedly all caring religious school really only cares about athletes and not tuba players.
The reason that so many privates (read Catholic) are so much better at football (sports) than band (music) is because sports are much more relevant to their organizations. Those are not hymnals in the pews, they are play books. That is not a sermon, it is the half-time pep-talk. Spontaneous blitz and countering screen plays can break out at any mass. How would a skilled musician fit in? Musicians have no relevance in the worship setting.