NFL Free Agency

Third Rounder?

Or just wait for him to be released?
I imagine Carolina will take a QB in the draft. I don’t see Baker going anywhere till after the draft honestly

I think Crusaders is right. The draft will help clarify the market. With the limited market of teams now needing a QB, there's no reason for a team like Seattle to rush or even offer value. If they do make an offer, I could see something like a 3rd or 4th with the pick moving up if he plays a certain percentage of games. It could just all wait until veteran goes down in training camp.

Also, another advantage of Watson's $1 salary for next year is that it gives the Browns a little more leeway to just hang on to Mayfield and let him sit if he proves to be difficult, them thinking that the entire QB position is still only costing them $25M (Watson- $1M; Mayfield- $19M; Brissett ($4.6M).

Clarkgrizwald - Your base salary numbers are correct but those are not the cap charge for each player. For 2022 season cap charge per overthecap.com
* Baker Mayfield -$18.9 mil
* Deshaun Winston -$10 mil
* Jacoby Brissett - contract has not yet been reported by overthecap.com

The problem with Baker’s deal is it will stay on the Browns books until he is traded. If he is released the full $18.9 will count towards their 2022 cap. If he is traded, will a team really give the Browns a 2nd or 3rd rd pick and pick up his full $18.9 mil salary? One report stated a team wanted the Browns to give them a pick for taking on Baker & his $18.9 mil salary. Currently the Seahawks only have $16 mil in cap space. Remember, each NFL teams will need to have some cap space to sign rookies and Seattle will have 2 first rounders to sign.

Bottom line, Browns are not getting much, if anything at all for Baker. If Cleveland was offered a 4th, that would take it. Perhaps the best thing to do is hold on to Baker, pay him to stay away and wait until someone gets hurt early in the season. Then maybe the Browns could get a 3rd for next season.

I don't know if there is really a QB in the draft that might be better than Darnold or Baker. If I had to take a guess, I would say that Pittsburgh drafts Malik, or Pickett, but I think they might take Malik. Then it comes down to the question of whether Carolina would want to waste a draft pick on a Qb that is just as good as their current starter, but lacks experience. A Baker-Darnold competition at QB would definitely be interesting. The loser of that competition would most likely be released and float into the realm of an unwanted free agent.

Chiefs trade Tyreek Hill to Dolphins for their first, second, and fourth round picks in 2022 and fourth and sixth next year.

Who is more thrilled abut this trading season, Mahomes or Rodgers?
More like are the Broncos, Raiders or Chargers more thrilled to play the Chiefs now, or
are the Vikings, Bears, or Lions more thrilled to play the Packers.

In my opinion, trading away both of these WRs closed the gap in the conferences.

My guess is the Chiefs must be in the running for OBJ, I don't know, never would've though they'd trade him away.

Is OBJ even going to play much of this season? ACL surgery usually means at least 6-8 months of recovery, if not more.

I don't know if there is really a QB in the draft that might be better than Darnold or Baker. If I had to take a guess, I would say that Pittsburgh drafts Malik, or Pickett, but I think they might take Malik. Then it comes down to the question of whether Carolina would want to waste a draft pick on a Qb that is just as good as their current starter, but lacks experience. A Baker-Darnold competition at QB would definitely be interesting. The loser of that competition would most likely be released and float into the realm of an unwanted free agent.
What a free fall for Baker. Last year at this time, he was coming off a Browns playoff run, crushed the Steelers in the playoffs and came within an eyelash of getting to the AFC championship game. Now he may not even have a team to play for. Baker is not really suited to be a backup. He's kind of in the Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Tim Tebow area. Teams don't want backup QB's who are being interviewed all the time. Backup QB's hold the clipboard, stay quiet and stay ready. Baker is none of that. Browns may be better off just keeping him until camps start and hope some team has an injured quarterback early in camp.

What are the Chiefs doing???
Tough to commit to a guy who is as potentially volatile as Hill. It's tough to commit major guaranteed money to a guy that can go full Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson at any moment. This deal makes it look like the Packers did not get full value for Adams.

The Dolphins, if they can keep everyone healthy and out of jail, have really added some major pieces around Tua.

What a free fall for Baker. Last year at this time, he was coming off a Browns playoff run, crushed the Steelers in the playoffs and came within an eyelash of getting to the AFC championship game. Now he may not even have a team to play for. Baker is not really suited to be a backup. He's kind of in the Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Tim Tebow area. Teams don't want backup QB's who are being interviewed all the time. Backup QB's hold the clipboard, stay quiet and stay ready. Baker is none of that. Browns may be better off just keeping him until camps start and hope some team has an injured quarterback early in camp.
Panthers not interested - as of now.

Browns ought to just release Baker, theyre not going to get anything in a trade. I'd like to see the Steelers pick him up, thatd be interesting. Hes gotta be better than Trubisky, right?

Browns ought to just release Baker, theyre not going to get anything in a trade. I'd like to see the Steelers pick him up, thatd be interesting. Hes gotta be better than Trubisky, right?
Baker's salary for 2022 is essentially fully guaranteed. His cap hit is $18,858,000. As such, there's no financial reason to cut him as you have to pay him anyway. Hold onto him and hope an established team's QB goes down and they need Baker and will give you something and take on at least part of that hit.

Baker's salary for 2022 is essentially fully guaranteed. His cap hit is $18,858,000. As such, there's no financial reason to cut him as you have to pay him anyway. Hold onto him and hope an established team's QB goes down and they need Baker and will give you something and take on at least part of that hit.
This is probably what will happen. The next period to look at is around the draft, if the draft goes sideways with regards to the QBs there could be team with multiple day 3 picks that may make an offer.

That seems to happen a lot nowadays.

A smart team would do this.

A smart team would have avoided the "we need an adult at QB" comment. A smart player would not post a goodbye letter on line while still the starting QB. So now the bridge is burnt.

If both sides were smart, the Browns could play Mayfield at QB during the Watson suspension, and have him regain trade value by playing at his 2020 level.

Unfortunately, these are my Browns, and no one ever does anything smart.