NFHS is now favoring a Shot Clock

fleadog101

NFHS will most likely adopt a Shot Clock rule this upcoming Summer it will be set to take effect for the 2024-25 School year. While this is a couple years out some schools are upgrading to have a shot clock system Canton City Schools have already installed a shot clock system during the upgrade for the Memorial Field House. Some leagues around Ohio are requiring a system to be in place within 2 years.
OHSAA will implement this when this happens.
there is money allocated for this up grade from a grant it really is only 500 bucks
Currently 13 States use this this year and 14 more states will use it next year.

NFHS will most likely adopt a Shot Clock rule this upcoming Summer it will be set to take effect for the 2024-25 School year. While this is a couple years out some schools are upgrading to have a shot clock system Canton City Schools have already installed a shot clock system during the upgrade for the Memorial Field House. Some leagues around Ohio are requiring a system to be in place within 2 years.
OHSAA will implement this when this happens.
there is money allocated for this up grade from a grant it really is only 500 bucks
Currently 13 States use this this year and 14 more states will use it next year.
In 2021, the NFHS already approved the shot clock for state adoption beginning this year.

I'm not sure where you get this $500 upgrade figure from.

Bad idea for high school officials.

The NCAA men and women routinely go to the monitor to see if the defender was legal. That's not going to happen here.
I hate reviews worse than I hate "stalling" basketball. Make the stinking call, look to the scorekeepers table, if they concur, that's it. Call made, end of story...PLAY BALL! Bad calls, bad officials are part of the game. Live with it. I quit watching pro football because 60% of the time they still miss the call on the 20 minute official timeout-so-we-can-get-in-more-TV-commercials replay review...BS. Don't get me started.

Last edited:
I hate reviews worse than I hate "stalling" basketball. Make the stinking call, look to the scorekeepers table, if they concur, that's it. Call made, end of story...PLAY BALL! Bad calls, bad officials are part of the game. Live with it. I quit watching pro football because 60% of the time they still miss the call on the 20 minute official timeout-so-we-can-get-in-more-TV-commercials replay review...BS. Don't get me started. Oh, guess I got me started. Tough.
Better move the score keepers table up 10 or 12 feet then if they are going to be making official calls on the floor. Mandate coaches must never cross in front of the score table blocking the view to the floor, and the back official must have a circle on the floor that he has to stay inside of so the scorers table officials can always see the floor. Oh , and no motion offense that may screen the view of the score table officials.

I'm will gladly give you the shot clock if we can still have the 20-30 point games. I do not want to see these defensive team efforts be a thing of the past.

Glad to see another topic opened on this issue.

If we install all the options of the NBA perhaps high school tickets can be $50-100 as well.

Schools are already 1) struggling for money.....and 2) struggling for volunteers. This would take both. First buy the clocks and have them installed....and then need another person to run it at every game.....boy, girls, freshman, jv and varsity for the entire season. It will be a nightmare for a lot of schools

Are they going to mandate the shot clock or phase them in? Will they have different rules for JV and below? What is the time frame they plan on using on the shot clock? I would hope no less than 40 seconds. I believe college started at 45 seconds in the 1980s. I would be OK with that if they have to add the shot clock.

Are they going to mandate the shot clock or phase them in? Will they have different rules for JV and below? What is the time frame they plan on using on the shot clock? I would hope no less than 40 seconds. I believe college started at 45 seconds in the 1980s. I would be OK with that if they have to add the shot clock.
It’s a state adoption. That allows the states plenty of flexibility in implementing the process

The rules will be the same, except for allowing each state to determine if there are instances when re-setting the clock, it does not re-set back to 35.

It’s a 35 second clock

Better move the score keepers table up 10 or 12 feet then if they are going to be making official calls on the floor. Mandate coaches must never cross in front of the score table blocking the view to the floor, and the back official must have a circle on the floor that he has to stay inside of so the scorers table officials can always see the floor. Oh , and no motion offense that may screen the view of the score table officials.

I'm will gladly give you the shot clock if we can still have the 20-30 point games. I do not want to see these defensive team efforts be a thing of the past.

Glad to see another topic opened on this issue.

If we install all the options of the NBA perhaps high school tickets can be $50-100 as well.
The scorers table is not being used to second the call on fouls, or out-of-bounds, or traveling, or calling timeout, etc. Just whether the shot clock expired prior to the shot. If they feel the same as the official on the floor who made the call, end of story. If different, then and only then is there a conference. Take 10 seconds to discuss it, affirm, or overturn the call by vote (2 officials + the scorer...) and move on.
As it is in both college and the pros, defense will still decide games...its just that that defensive team effort you want to see lasts for seconds at a time, rather than minutes. In football, great defensive efforts last less than 4 seconds, but it's still great defense!
I know...I'm on a "rant" roll here. Somebody please stop me :)

Last edited:
Is that the same policy for end-of-quarter shots? I've seen plenty of end-of-quarter shots where one ref emphatically indicates a shot was after the clock. I don't remember seeing the officials huddle with each other or talk to the scorer's table.

Is that the same policy for end-of-quarter shots? I've seen plenty of end-of-quarter shots where one ref emphatically indicates a shot was after the clock. I don't remember seeing the officials huddle with each other or talk to the scorer's table.
Yes and some are also adding the lighted led backboard light for when the buzzer goes off

The scorers table is not being used to second the call on fouls, or out-of-bounds, or traveling, or calling timeout, etc. Just whether the shot clock expired prior to the shot. If they feel the same as the official on the floor who made the call, end of story. If different, then and only then is there a conference. Take 10 seconds to discuss it, affirm, or overturn the call by vote (2 officials + the scorer...) and move on.
As it is in both college and the pros, defense will still decide games...its just that that defensive team effort you want to see lasts for seconds at a time, rather than minutes. In football, great defensive efforts last less than 4 seconds, but it's still great defense!
I know...I'm on a "rant" roll here. Somebody please stop me :)
Ok, my bad, I thought you wanted the scorers table to confirm if a defensive player was inside the arch or not. Big difference between that and watching for a shot clock violation.

Schools are already 1) struggling for money.....and 2) struggling for volunteers. This would take both. First buy the clocks and have them installed....and then need another person to run it at every game.....boy, girls, freshman, jv and varsity for the entire season. It will be a nightmare for a lot of schools
This kind of runs into the score table keeping track for the officials thing. I have seen a clock operator so incompetent at their job that the officials just told them to not run the clock and they would keep the time on the floor. I bet you get some really angry seventh grade parents when Johnny, the sophomore kid who plays JV is running the shot clock but is watching the cheerleaders most of the game and has no idea when to reset the thing.