Newark Wildcats 2022

Creating a thread about a 19-game-losing-streak team.....

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

0% chance. Thomas worthington is the only possibility, and they lost to them 41-14 last year. That’s their best chance.

They've never played?? That's unbelievable.
The NC & 3 Newark feeder schools used to play in a junior high league together in mid 80's-90's along with the 2 Zanesville & 2 Lancaster junior highs. I remember those football games well. That was a great 8 team junior high league for football & basketball.

Newark Catholic has played over 700 varsity football games since 1958 and sadly none vs the Newark Wildcats.

Newark & Newark Catholic have played at the Freshman level. I believe I played in the final/last contest in the fall of 1992 at Newark Catholic High School. I scored one of the TDs in a 21-0 Greenwave victory over the Wildcats.

They have not faced off in the 30 years since.

Maybe the Wildcats will eventually join the Licking County League & they could face off at the Varsity level. They have scrimmaged & 7on7 most of the LCL in recent years & play Zanseville every year. I believe it was about 3 years ago NC played Licking Heights the very next week after Newark High did.

It should be stated - Newark High is the premier basketball program in Licking County - and it is not even close. They need to be get credit where credit is due. I also believe Billy Franks & his staff are working hard coaching the boys up.

Best of luck to the Wildcats this year.

The NC & 3 Newark feeder schools used to play in a junior high league together in mid 80's-90's along with the 2 Zanesville & 2 Lancaster junior highs. I remember those football games well. That was a great 8 team junior high league for football & basketball.

Newark Catholic has played over 700 varsity football games since 1958 and sadly none vs the Newark Wildcats.

Newark & Newark Catholic have played at the Freshman level. I believe I played in the final/last contest in the fall of 1992 at Newark Catholic High School. I scored one of the TDs in a 21-0 Greenwave victory over the Wildcats.

They have not faced off in the 30 years since.

Maybe the Wildcats will eventually join the Licking County League & they could face off at the Varsity level. They have scrimmaged & 7on7 most of the LCL in recent years & play Zanseville every year. I believe it was about 3 years ago NC played Licking Heights the very next week after Newark High did.

It should be stated - Newark High is the premier basketball program in Licking County - and it is not even close. They need to be get credit where credit is due. I also believe Billy Franks & his staff are working hard coaching the boys up.

Best of luck to the Wildcats this year.
Thanks.

Will they break their 19-game losing streak?
No...but I do wish they would at least consider joining the LCL even though theyd run through basketball season. Joining the LCL would be beneficial in all sports. When does scoring an average of 7 points a game and being shut out almost half the season get old?

This is sad. I can remember Newark football back to the 1960s in the Central Ohio League with Lancaster, Zanesville, Marietta, Chillicothe and Ironton. The Wildcats more than held their own in that league.

About that time, Newark Catholic hired head football Matt Midea from Mt. Vernon St. Vincent. Midea was from Pennsylvania and his main sport in high school and college (Lock Haven State) was wrestling. At Newark Catholic Midea replaced Jack Bickel, who graduated from Newark High and was on its state championship football and basketball teams in 1944. He later was an all-Mid-American Conference football player at Miami under coaches Sid Gilman and Woody Hayes. After coaching at St. Mary's Memorial and Piqua Bickel went back home and became Newark Catholic's first football coach. Bickel was accustomed to playing seniors---because they were seniors. As an independent, NC played a mixed bag schedule of Catholic schools from nearby similar sized cities, a few Licking County League teams and a couple Catholic schools from Columbus, DeSales being among them. Midea went along with playing seniors first for about three games. They got crushed. Amid the uproar from parents who thought it was their sons' turn to play, Midea went against "tradition" and played underclassmen. I recall when DeSales came over to Newark. DeSales was coached by Forest "Treeze" Sharrock. The first half was predictably ugly. I saw Sharrock and Midea meet at midfield during halftime. I later asked Midea about the conversation. He said Sharrock asked him what do you want us to do? Midea said he told him to keep on doing what you're doing. There was no running clock or shortening of quarters back then. I think Sharrock had his team take the foot off the pedal and everyone survived. This was in 1965. I lost contact with Midea after that but followed the team's doing from afar after that. Though the birth of football playoffs in Ohio was still several years away, it was Midea who turned things around at NC and the Green Wave won a "mythical" state championship in1968. I understand Midea went back to first love of wrestling and coached state championship teams in West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

It doesn't look good for Newark football. The B-Ball teams are the best in the high school. Baseball has been solid the past few years and wrestling has improved it's numbers and talent a lot the last 5 years.

Three 2-7 teams made the playoffs in region 3 last year. One 2-7 team did not.

Newark has a shot at the playoffs!

No...but I do wish they would at least consider joining the LCL even though theyd run through basketball season. Joining the LCL would be beneficial in all sports. When does scoring an average of 7 points a game and being shut out almost half the season get old?
Welp, I was wrong