New York Times: How the Bishop Sycamore Football Team Dashed Dreams

Teams that schedule them to play to fill an open date or get 15 minutes of fame bear some responsibility as well. It's been pretty clear for awhile who and what they were.

A good read...and it makes you wonder why so many turned their heads away.

Ohio State connections, minority students. Fear of being accused of being racist or anti-Buckeye. Others were just gullible enough to buy into the PR hype. Some othesr hoped that the program had learned its lesson from the previous fiasco and were hungering for an Ohio IMG- type institution.

Ohio State connections, minority students. Fear of being accused of being racist or anti-Buckeye. Others were just gullible enough to buy into the PR hype. Some othesr hoped that the program had learned its lesson from the previous fiasco and were hungering for an Ohio IMG- type institution.
And some just did not care, and would do anything to have a football game.

There are good people who run the athletic departments at St. Edward and St. Ignatius. "Not caring", "gullible", and "supporting a human trafficking ring" certainly are not ways I would describe them. Good internet message board discussion, though.

There are good people who run the athletic departments at St. Edward and St. Ignatius. "Not caring", "gullible", and "supporting a human trafficking ring" certainly are not ways I would describe them. Good internet message board discussion, though.
You would think a school with the resources of St. Edwards would do at least some due diligence to make sure the programs they schedule were at least legitimate. You mean to tell me no one in the department scratched their heads when they reached out for a game?

Ignatius was duped by COF Academy, which they thought would be a legit entity....and they were desperate to fill out the schedule. As for BS, the filling out of the schedule was the reason for the game, even though it didn't count in the Harbins. In hindsight, byes might have been preferable, considering the rest of the schedule.

Ignatius was duped by COF Academy, which they thought would be a legit entity....and they were desperate to fill out the schedule. As for BS, the filling out of the schedule was the reason for the game, even though it didn't count in the Harbins. In hindsight, byes might have been preferable, considering the rest of the schedule.
Might have been?

St. Ed’s knew COF was a scam and wanted to play them anyway. That’s absolutely not caring. They complained to the OHSAA that they should’ve told them the game wouldn’t have counted for points sooner, because if they knew that, they would’ve played them. They didn’t care that it was supporting a horrible grift, they were mad about not having a game.

On November 9, 2018, Roy Johnson put his underfed, unprepared players on a 10-hour bus ride from Columbus to Baltimore, arriving after 9:30 PM and expected them to face off against a team that most schools in Maryland refuse to play on a good day. Half of those 19-year-olds had the sense to refuse upon arrival and the game wasn't played. But for the next three seasons, good people continued to pay Johnson to serve up his traveling youth sales crew for a beat down at the hands of the top teams in the country.

Last edited:
On November 9, 2018, Roy Johnson put his underfed, unprepared players on a 10-hour bus ride from Columbus to Baltimore, arriving after 9:30 PM and expected them to face off against a team that most schools in Maryland refuse to play on a good day. Half of those 19-year-olds had the sense to refuse upon arrival and the game wasn't played. But for the next three seasons, good people continued to pay Johnson to serve up his traveling youth sales crew for a beat down at the hands of the top teams in the country.
He also then left them there, forcing them to find their own way back to Ohio as punishment for not playing.

This is an obvious hoax, but a recent entry on the "Bishop Sycamore High School scandal" Wikipedia article indicates a 2022 comeback and has a link to a MaxPrep schedule for their freshman team:
Does maxpreps just let you toss up a schedule without the other school “accepting/confirming” the game? I’d be mad if I was one of the schools on that schedule and it wasn’t real.

Does maxpreps just let you toss up a schedule without the other school “accepting/confirming” the game? I’d be mad if I was one of the schools on that schedule and it wasn’t real.
All you need is a public library computer, a free GoDaddy domain, some '90s clipart, and you too can become the next Midwest IMG!

Last edited: