New to Lax

cheaptilt

I have sons who are interested in playing lacrosse, but I have little knowledge of the sport. Where is a good place for our family to start? What are the must haves (equip) to get started? Are there free camps for kids or inexpensive camps close to the trenton area? Our high school now has a club team and are starting a youth organization next year also. Pretty exciting stuff happening with this growing sport. Thanks in advance for the help.

Lacrosse is an awesome sport, you will have a lot of fun in the coming years. I can't help with playing options in your area, though. Check with some of the more successful hugh school programs, they are often linked to youth programs.

In terms of equipment, your kids will need a helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, a stick, and cleats. Oh, and a mouthguard. If you have a Play It Again nearby, it's a great place to start. If not, I think sells youth starter kits. I would recommend getting them sticks with wider heads l, STX AV8, Warrior Revo, STX Proton, and any defenseman head, really, are good options. The AV8 is a classic beginner head. Also, get it strung by somebody that actually plays. Factory strung pockets are a disaster, and it makes all the difference. Maybe find a neighborhood kid that plays. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Watch some MLL games on tv to get introduced to the game. CPC5304 gave all good advice. Get online for some drills, that could help you get started. Also, if get a stick for yourself and learn how to throw/catch together with your kids. Find a good brick wall and have them do wall ball...I'm sure there are videos out there for some drills. Make them catch and throw with both hands. Above all, have fun with it! My guys have been playing for 7 yrs now and it's been a great ride.

Goldenwarrior makes good points- get them throwing with both hands, get a stick for yourself and THE WALL. Get them on the wall. There is a youtube channel called laxallstars or lacrosseallstars, something like that. They have a feature that shows lots of different wall drills.

Where are you located and what size is your kid?
After having my kids being involved in the sport for past seven years we may have some spare equipment to donate.

Dean