New Rules for 2023

I agree with you that kids need to throw more, not harder, and that MLB pitchers could pitch more than they do. No argument there.

But earlier you said the pitchers were not in great shape because they could not throw 100 pitches in a game. That is what I was disagreeing with. Now you seem to have changed your opinion, which is great.
They are not in great PITCHING shape. Sure they may be able to run a mile in 5 1/2 minutes, do crazy push ups, sit ups etc. But remember guys like Gaylord Perry and Rick Ruschell looked like a beer league softball player and yet they could pitch 8 inning and throw 140 pitches in a game.

In 1982 for Seattle, a 43 year old Gaylord Perry threw 216 innings, 32 starts, 6 complete games. Two times that season Perry pitched 10 innings or more.

They are not in great PITCHING shape. Sure they may be able to run a mile in 5 1/2 minutes, do crazy push ups, sit ups etc. But remember guys like Gaylord Perry and Rick Ruschell looked like a beer league softball player and yet they could pitch 8 inning and throw 140 pitches in a game.
In 1982 for Seattle, a 43 year old Gaylord Perry threw 216 innings, 32 starts, 6 complete games. Two times that season Perry pitched 10 innings or more.

point.jpg

Just stop. The point is that physical fitness is not what is causing the pitch count limits. The guys today could throw 140 per start too. The teams are not allowing it due to fear of injury.

View attachment 39558
Just stop. The point is that physical fitness is not what is causing the pitch count limits. The guys today could throw 140 per start too. The teams are not allowing it due to fear of injury.
I don't think they could. Sonny Gray threw 80 pitches tops a start, almost half of 140 and he was still hurt all the time. Building up arm strenght and endurance, just does not happen today.