New Centerville Elk

Not when he is a professional player and is nearing 20 years old. I guess Cupps is willing to do whatever to win games at the expense of the Centerville community and the kids who grew up in the system. Cupps needs to leave and coach AAU or something else.

He is young enough to play. Can someone please enlighten the board to where he has been paid to play basketball.

FIBA 3v3 is a pro league with various levels…I have watched it…there are many teenage pros in Europe…they don’t have college athletics…you get picked up by a club and you are paid…Doncic started when he was 13!

Is this where Centerville basketball is really headed? Taste a little success and then all Hell breaks loose with the program to keep the pace?
From an outsider's perspective, this sounds to me like Cupps is loading up for one final ride. I don't see this as a long-term trend. The kids that are coming in are really there to help win it all this year. My guess would be that this will be Cupps last season and that he wants to go out with a title; much more so for his son than for himself. A lot of coaches have stepped down after their kids made it through the system. And he's going to want to spend as much time watching his son play at Indiana as possible. Who could blame him? He's earned that right. Anyway, from looking at some of the tea leaves that is how I would read it.

FIBA 3v3 is a pro league with various levels…I have watched it…there are many teenage pros in Europe…they don’t have college athletics…you get picked up by a club and you are paid…Doncic started when he was 13!

And you do understand that kids with aspirations to play in the US join pro clubs while maintaining their amateur status, correct?

And you do understand that kids with aspirations to play in the US join pro clubs while maintaining their amateur status, correct?

Sure, to play at a College/University. This is high school and there is no room for this. Send him to Oak Hill Academy or similar type prep school. 19 1/2 year olds should no be playing high school basketball.

From an outsider's perspective, this sounds to me like Cupps is loading up for one final ride. I don't see this as a long-term trend. The kids that are coming in are really there to help win it all this year. My guess would be that this will be Cupps last season and that he wants to go out with a title; much more so for his son than for himself. A lot of coaches have stepped down after their kids made it through the system. And he's going to want to spend as much time watching his son play at Indiana as possible. Who could blame him? He's earned that right. Anyway, from looking at some of the tea leaves that is how I would read it.
You say for his son, not himself? You got to remember this guy has already written a book about himself. And, he makes way too much money to even think about giving up coaching. Camps, salary, etc?

Not when he is a professional player and is nearing 20 years old. I guess Cupps is willing to do whatever to win games at the expense of the Centerville community and the kids who grew up in the system. Cupps needs to leave and coach AAU or something else.
Seriously? I thought you were over the top before, but this is ridiculous. The part about Cupps willing to do anything. All he's done is build a program that teaches great values and oh by the way the basketball is pretty good too.

What about your previous stance that if kids move into a district it's all good? But I'm sure if this kid moved into the Wayne district you would be just as outraged. Not!

Seriously? I thought you were over the top before, but this is ridiculous. The part about Cupps willing to do anything. All he's done is build a program that teaches great values and oh by the way the basketball is pretty good too.

What about your previous stance that if kids move into a district it's all good? But I'm sure if this kid moved into the Wayne district you would be just as outraged. Not!
All of that is true...but you have to admit pulling in three transfers this year is a bit of a black-eye to the "build the program" mentality. Not saying he did anything wrong, but kids moving in and jumping the "program" kids is counter to how he built the program.

All of that is true...but you have to admit pulling in three transfers this year is a bit of a black-eye to the "build the program" mentality. Not saying he did anything wrong, but kids moving in and jumping the "program" kids is counter to how he built the program.
Built Program agree from grades 2-12 and coaching staff built a great program. Transfer / Black eye agree when all the transfer are older. High school coaching is about taking what you have a making it better, of course the public has forgotten about this part.

He can play up until he is 20 so "nearing 20 years old" is irrelevant really.

The professional thing is something else though.

Get ready the age thing is going to come in to play more in the next 10 years. When you have a kid starting school a year late then they don’t pass the third grade guarantee kids will be 20 graduating high school.

Cupps has had more kids transfer out of that program than transfer in.

You say for his son, not himself? You got to remember this guy has already written a book about himself. And, he makes way too much money to even think about giving up coaching. Camps, salary, etc?
I think he has aspirations beyond coaching at Centerville...would not be surprised if he's elsewhere in a few years.

Get ready the age thing is going to come in to play more in the next 10 years. When you have a kid starting school a year late then they don’t pass the third grade guarantee kids will be 20 graduating high school.

Cupps has had more kids transfer out of that program than transfer in.
Bruh, how do you not pass the 3rd grade? Secondly, I had a mortgage and a job at 20. Y’all remember that 21 year old dude in Texas who lied about his age to play hs basketball? Not so far fetched now.

Bruh, how do you not pass the 3rd grade? Secondly, I had a mortgage and a job at 20. Y’all remember that 21 year old dude in Texas who lied about his age to play hs basketball? Not so far fetched now.
Bruh, third graders take a standardized test now, if you don’t pass the test you don’t move on. You can have passing grades and could still be held back if you flunk the test.

Built Program agree from grades 2-12 and coaching staff built a great program. Transfer / Black eye agree when all the transfer are older. High school coaching is about taking what you have a making it better, of course the public has forgotten about this part.
I suppose he could refuse to play anybody who moves in after a certain grade. But why? He can't keep people from moving in any more than he could have kept people from going to prep school.

This is ridiculous? The Centerville community is proud of the home grown tradition at the school. Centerville could have 4 starters that are transfers (Graham, CJ, Tecumseh, out of Country) including a 19 1/2 year old. You do not think their will be some blow back? Do you not recall the final two years of Staley and the push back from that? Do you not recall the ousting of Ullery??? When their own kids are sitting the bench or quitting the team because of "move ins" that take there place the ripples will turn into a tidal wave......

Personally, I can care less about 3 of the 4 transfers. Good for them, but I draw the line with the latest one. HS sports in Ohio is not about this and everything needs to be done to stop it. I would feel the same if he was going to Wayne.

The whole point of me posting on here is nothing more than throw it back in the Centerville posters face that blasted Wayne for years for getting "move ins" but now the shoe is on the other foot it is "A-OK" with these same posters.....

At the end of the day, I no longer go to many games and I have more important things going on. At one time I was easily going to over 200 games a season, last season... maybe 6. My days of being a die-hard Wayne fan are gone....

I imagine the point above could have equally been made the same without continuing the ridiculous tripe of trying to count the coach's kid who's been there since the 2nd grade and who you know, is there because Dad was hired to be the coach 10 years ago in the "move-in/transfer" category.

The transfer trend this off-season, especially picking up the foreigner that will be 20 at graduation and who under most circumstances should have been a senior two years ago (and at worst this year), looks really bad. They've added three probable major impact players this off-season and regardless of how they got there, they have to be the best "recruiting class" that any school in Ohio, public or private, has added this spring/summer.

Last edited:
Centerville could have 4 starters that are transfers (Graham, CJ, Tecumseh, out of Country)

The whole point of me posting on here is nothing more than throw it back in the Centerville posters face that blasted Wayne for years for getting "move ins" but now the shoe is on the other foot it is "A-OK" with these same posters.....
Assuming you are talking about Gabe as being a transfer from Graham, that is just piling on.

As for the other point, spot on! Centerville posters killed Wayne for years when Trice and Minton had kids moving in to play for them. Personally I don't care who moves in to play for the Elks, just disappointed it kills the old-school home-grown program feel at Centerville.

Theres a 3rd grade state test and if you dont have a certain score you can’t move on

One thing that is really different these days is social media. Kids recruit other kids more than coaches. Add in fall and summer leagues where these kids especially top players play together. it’s nothing for a kid to say to another one you should play with us.

This is ridiculous? The Centerville community is proud of the home grown tradition at the school. Centerville could have 4 starters that are transfers (Graham, CJ, Tecumseh, out of Country) including a 19 1/2 year old. You do not think their will be some blow back? Do you not recall the final two years of Staley and the push back from that? Do you not recall the ousting of Ullery??? When their own kids are sitting the bench or quitting the team because of "move ins" that take there place the ripples will turn into a tidal wave......

Personally, I can care less about 3 of the 4 transfers. Good for them, but I draw the line with the latest one. HS sports in Ohio is not about this and everything needs to be done to stop it. I would feel the same if he was going to Wayne.

At the end of the day, I no longer go to many games and I have more important things going on. At one time I was easily going to over 200 games a season, last season... maybe 6. My days of being a die-hard Wayne fan are gone....
Was there blowback when Wayne had a starting lineup of 2 Stivers kids, a Miamisburg kid and a Springfield kid? Or the year before a Stivers kid, a shawnee kid, springfield kid, Miamisburg kid and a yellow springs kid? I think you told everyone they left for a better opportunity

In regards to the Third Grade Reading Guarantee, the child is, in almost all cases, only held back for third grade reading instruction while they are promoted with their peers in every other fourth grade subject. Cases of a student being held back in third grade for all subjects are very rare. It’s also worth adding, students can receive a passing score on other district approved assessments other than the ODE approved test.

For someone who "can care less" about transfers, you sure do talk about them a lot.

In regards to the Third Grade Reading Guarantee, the child is, in almost all cases, only held back for third grade reading instruction while they are promoted with their peers in every other fourth grade subject. Cases of a student being held back in third grade for all subjects are very rare. It’s also worth adding, students can receive a passing score on other district approved assessments other than the ODE approved test.
I'd hate to see those numbers right after covid. What is the point of the test if it really has no teeth?

S

So let me be clearer if I can. Counting Cupps as a transfer is ridiculous. Heck, Staley's kid never even moved to Centerville.

What I was calling ridiculous was your statement that Cupps would do anything just to win and doesn't care about kids or community. In fact it's just the opposite and the kids who have played for him know it and would run through brick walls for him. It's all about the kids and a process of excellence for him. Outcomes are often out of one's control and he realizes that. Talks about it and writes about it all the time.

Finally, Staley didn't have issues because there were a lot of transfers. His issues ran much deeper and longer than that. I think perhaps the way he played his kid was the final straw. But that's another topic and another thread.

Last edited:
I'd hate to see those numbers right after covid. What is the point of the test if it really has no teeth?
I’ve always wondered the same thing. The secondary promotion tests approved for passage are so basic. In my opinion, a child is a strong candidate for retention if they can’t pass those. The law sounds good in the political realm, but there are many ways to passage that never made the front page of the paper. I will add there will probably be an uptick in retentions this year when Covid learning losses are factored in.