NEO D1 Seeding Predictions

B347FB9E-8945-4C81-8DFC-0C280600DB8D.jpeg

Interesting. Alliance and Twinsburg districts are much harder than Euclid IMO. My thoughts on each district:

Alliance- Seems like McKinley really wants a 3rd shot at Green after losing both regular season matchups by 7 points combined. Lake vs Walsh is also interesting. Never count out the Streaks in postseason play The Alliance district semis, assuming those 4 don't get upset in sectionals, should both be terrific games. Interesting that only 4 of the 9 Canton-area teams chose this district. I expected Alliance to look a lot like the old Canton district, but it really doesn't.
PREDICTIONS- SEMIS: Green over McKinley, Walsh Jesuit over Lake. FINALS: Green over Walsh Jesuit

At Twinsburg, Solon won't have an easy time with Jackson. I could see Jackson pulling off the upset there. At the bottom of the bracket, WOW. Hoban really chose to go play at Hoover in the sectionals. Dover is also scary, but with their schedule its hard to say how good they really are. Hoover is battle tested, and might be the best team in this district. All 5 of those teams could win this district. It's wide open.
PREDICTIONS- SEMIS: Jackson over Solon, Hoover over Dover. FINALS: Hoover over Jackson

Euclid- This is Brush's district to lose. Mentor has a fairly easy route to the district finals. The Massillon/Alliance/Boardman sectional could go to any one of the 3 teams. I give the edge to the Spartans. Euclid pulled off a couple of road wins in the tournament last year, so maybe they can knock off Mayfield this year?
PREDICTIONS- SEMIS: Brush over Boardman, Mentor over Euclid. FINALS: Brush over Mentor

By calculating the average seed # of each team, the Alliance district is slightly the toughest followed by Euclid then Twinsburg. The bottom bracket at Alliance is the most difficult and the top bracket at Twinsburg is the easiest.

Here's the pairings

Cleveland Regional
NE 1 (East) - Alliance
  • top seeds: Green (E#2), Walsh Jesuit (E#4), Uniontown Lake (E#7)
NE 2 (East) - Euclid
  • top seeds: Brush (E#1), Mentor (E#9)
NE 3 (East) - Twinsburg
  • top seeds: Solon (E#3), North Canton Hoover (E#5), Dover (E#6), Massillon Jackson (E#8)
NE 6 (West) - Lakewood
  • top seeds: St. Edward W(#1), Medina (W#8)
Toledo Regional
NE 4 (West) - Copley
  • top seeds: Brecksville (W#2), Cleveland Heights (W#4), Shaker Heights (W#5)
NE 5 (West) - Elyria Catholic
  • top seeds: St. Ignatius (W#3), Brunswick (W#6), Olmsted Falls (W#7), Copley (W#9)
Regional Pairings

Region 2 - Cleveland
NE 3 (East) - Twinsburg vs. NE 1 (East) - Alliance
NE 2 (East) - Euclid vs NE 6 (West) - Lakewood

Region 1 - Toledo
NE 4 (West) - Copley vs. NE 5 (West) - Elyria
Milbury vs. Toledo

State Pairings
Region 2 (Cleveland) vs. Region 3 (Columbus)
Region 1 (Toledo) vs. Region 4 (Dayton-Cincinnati)

Would love to see a Brush/Mentor district final. Based on all of their talent, m aybe Brush will finally break the ice & win a district title. It will be interesting.
Me too I will be definitely upset if we don’t get that matchup

Boardman is a pretty solid team all around and have a good coach. Tough defensively. Not overly consistent shooting the ball and have got into some ugly low scoring games. Their best player is 6’6” Trey Depietro who is more of 3/4 playing center. Most guys are 6’ or so in rotation of about 9. So not a ton of height.

They were competitive vs high seeds Hoover and Lake earlier in year losing by 9 and 5 respectively. Split with Youngstown Chaney who beat Mentor. They are 7-1 in 2022 w/ only loss vs Harding w/o Depietro playing.

They’ve got Massillon at home in 2 weeks who they could see again 12 days later if they can get by Alliance.

However, Brush is by far the heavy favorite in the district based on the talent they have and I think it would take a near perfect game from any team in the district to take them down.

Boardman is a pretty solid team all around and have a good coach. Tough defensively. Not overly consistent shooting the ball and have got into some ugly low scoring games. Their best player is 6’6” Trey Depietro who is more of 3/4 playing center. Most guys are 6’ or so in rotation of about 9. So not a ton of height.

They were competitive vs high seeds Hoover and Lake earlier in year losing by 9 and 5 respectively. Split with Youngstown Chaney who beat Mentor. They are 7-1 in 2022 w/ only loss vs Harding w/o Depietro playing.

They’ve got Massillon at home in 2 weeks who they could see again 12 days later if they can get by Alliance.

However, Brush is by far the heavy favorite in the district based on the talent they have and I think it would take a near perfect game from any team in the district to take them down.
Thank you very much! This was very insightful for Boardman! Good luck on the rest of your season!

So what exactly is the strategy when coaches are picking their spot in the bracket? Is it to balance travel time and avoid the best teams? Can anyone choose any spot when it’s their pick- as in, could a high seed choose a spot next to another high seed so they play in the first round? If you look at how the bracket ended up, it looks like the first team to pick an opponent was Boardman picking Alliance- could any of the previous 15 teams have picked to play a team already placed? Are they limited by which lines they can choose from?

The bracket ended up pretty balanced, so I’m wondering if that’s because of rules, or just the good teams avoiding each other early.

Teams in this structure all have different goals.

The top teams are probably looking at regional play, how can we get there as easily possible and/or who do we play.

The next group of teams are probably looking at district play. How can we get there as easily as possible and/or how can we advance deeper into the district.

The last group of teams are probably thinking can we win a game, who might we get slaughtered least by, is there a convenient trip.

So what exactly is the strategy when coaches are picking their spot in the bracket? Is it to balance travel time and avoid the best teams? Can anyone choose any spot when it’s their pick- as in, could a high seed choose a spot next to another high seed so they play in the first round? If you look at how the bracket ended up, it looks like the first team to pick an opponent was Boardman picking Alliance- could any of the previous 15 teams have picked to play a team already placed? Are they limited by which lines they can choose from?

The bracket ended up pretty balanced, so I’m wondering if that’s because of rules, or just the good teams avoiding each other early.
Teams can choose any of the available lines on the bracket, the byes are pre-determined. Most higher seeds tend to choose a bye, though a small few higher seeds chose two games the first week (one of two reasons for that - get two easier games instead of having someone pick on them after an easy game, and/or they have a significant gap in time b/n their last regular season game and a first playoff game date).

Teams in this structure all have different goals.

The top teams are probably looking at regional play, how can we get there as easily possible and/or who do we play.

The next group of teams are probably looking at district play. How can we get there as easily as possible and/or how can we advance deeper into the district.

The last group of teams are probably thinking can we win a game, who might we get slaughtered least by, is there a convenient trip.
I did wonder why Brush went to Euclid knowing that St. Ed'd might end up in Cleveland instead of Twinsburg where they would play the Alliance winner?

I did wonder why Brush went to Euclid knowing that St. Ed'd might end up in Cleveland instead of Twinsburg where they would play the Alliance winner?
The reasoning is it’s closer and it’s also easier for fans travel, plus they would be playing teams they are used to. Trust me Brush isn’t scared of anyone

Brecksville 66
@ St. Edward 59

Interesting score tonight as the Bees led the Eagles at the end of every quarter. The Bees could go far in the tournament