NE8 2021

I honestly don't know.

What does that have to do with building a parochial high school and football stadium on the campus of a state run and owned public university? I don't see how that is even possible or legal.
There's ways around everything. Private schools aren't funded with public tax dollars, but I'm sure that they accept donations! I'm also sure that there would be several "buffers" involved lol. The state sells the land cheap to a person or company that in turn, donates it to a private school. That might work. Would raise a few eybrows, sure. But it would be far from the worst thing to happen along those lines in Youngstown over the past 50 years! If this is true, it's just Tressel wanting a local "football factory" to get players for YSU. He always went after local talent when he was the HC.

From people that know. It's not just whispers on the street.
What people? What are their names please?

Maybe they can throw some of that money only 10 minutes away from YSU into Hubbard. We would appreciate it. How about putting in a good word for us from your "people that know" Jaws?

There's ways around everything. Private schools aren't funded with public tax dollars, but I'm sure that they accept donations! I'm also sure that there would be several "buffers" involved lol. The state sells the land cheap to a person or company that in turn, donates it to a private school. That might work. Would raise a few eybrows, sure. But it would be far from the worst thing to happen along those lines in Youngstown over the past 50 years! If this is true, it's just Tressel wanting a local "football factory" to get players for YSU. He always went after local talent when he was the HC.

Private schools aren’t funded with public tax dollars? That’s not entirely true. The Ed Choice program uses a portion of state income and sales taxes to fund scholarships and vouchers. It’s largely a way to divert funding from public schools to private and charter schools.

I agree with you about Tressel wanting a football factory to feed into YSU.

What people? What are their names please?

Maybe they can throw some of that money only 10 minutes away from YSU into Hubbard. We would appreciate it. How about putting in a good word for us from your "people that know" Jaws?
1. Why would boosters for either Mooney or Ursuline give money to Hubbard?
2. School taxes.

I figured this topic would get people up in arms, but the fact remains that a Youngstown Central Catholic has been proposed and pushed for by the President of YSU, among others. Probably won't ever happen as long as prominent boosters from Mooney keep giving money.

Are those the same DeBartolo's that owned the Pens? Reading this thread I'm curious. Isn't Jed York a Mooney alum?

Private schools aren’t funded with public tax dollars? That’s not entirely true. The Ed Choice program uses a portion of state income and sales taxes to fund scholarships and vouchers. It’s largely a way to divert funding from public schools to private and charter schools.

I agree with you about Tressel wanting a football factory to feed into YSU.

My mistake. What I should have said is that private schools don't get the MAJORITY of their funding from public tax dollars.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I'll get it back on track. Who is goung to be the biggest surprise this year in the NE8, good or bad?

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I'll get it back on track. Who is goung to be the biggest surprise this year in the NE8, good or bad?

I don’t think you hijacked the thread at all. You were just contributing to the discussion.

Biggest surprise? Depends on what your expectations are.
Could be Niles. Could be Jefferson...

I think Niles wins at least 6. And Jefferson wins at least 5.
Both might surprise people... Jefferson probably more so.

Lakeview probably only wins 1 game at the most.
Not sure what Girard will have, besides Mays and Malito. And Lloyd on their lines.
Really, there’s no excuse for Struthers to be under .500. Should win at least 5 or 6. But I don’t expect the Cats to contend for the NE8 championship and make a dee playoff run until 2022. 2023, 2024, and 2025 should also be very good. Especially ’22-’24.
Hubbard is expected to be pretty good again... but can they find a passing game? Also, what will their defense be like after losing their DC of the last 6 years.

South Range has a lot back from a good young team last year.
And I really think that this year will b Poland’s last hoorah for a while. They’re getting a ton back... but they’re all Seniors, except for like 1 lineman, 2 or 3 skill players, and a couple reserves.

Biggest good surprise, I’ll say Jefferson.
Biggest bad surprise, I’ll say Girard.

Hubbard is expected to be pretty good again... but can they find a passing game? Also, what will their defense be like after losing their DC of the last 6 years.

That article was actually off. Mr. Belino actually was just promoted to full time defensive coordinator in 2019. Serving 2 years as Hubbards defensive coordinator. Before that Mosora was always Hoffman's D Cordinator at Hubbard. With that said Belino is a good kid with a good mind on his shoulders. He should be very motivated at Paladin land. Lord knows they need it. With that said it won't be easy getting Lakeview football back to where it's always been. Will have to build it back from the ground up.

I don’t think you hijacked the thread at all. You were just contributing to the discussion.

Biggest surprise? Depends on what your expectations are.
Could be Niles. Could be Jefferson...

I think Niles wins at least 6. And Jefferson wins at least 5.
Both might surprise people... Jefferson probably more so.

Lakeview probably only wins 1 game at the most.
Not sure what Girard will have, besides Mays and Malito. And Lloyd on their lines.
Really, there’s no excuse for Struthers to be under .500. Should win at least 5 or 6. But I don’t expect the Cats to contend for the NE8 championship and make a dee playoff run until 2022. 2023, 2024, and 2025 should also be very good. Especially ’22-’24.

South Range has a lot back from a good young team last year.
And I really think that this year will b Poland’s last hoorah for a while. They’re getting a ton back... but they’re all Seniors, except for like 1 lineman, 2 or 3 skill players, and a couple reserves.

Biggest good surprise, I’ll say Jefferson.
Biggest bad surprise, I’ll say Girard.
I agree with both.
Girard isnt goung to be that good(I say that every year) but this year it's really true. They don't have any depth at all and there isn't any help coming up.

I dont think Niles wins 6. I don't know who their OOCs are but losing the QB is huge. A lot of leadership and playmaking ability is gone.

Jefferson surprised me with their ability to stay fairly close in games last year. They may be halfway decent.

South Range is gonna be South Range.

Hubbard is one team that I'm curious about. They could be pretty good, but no matter how good, playoffs aren't their friend.

I agree with both.
Girard isnt goung to be that good(I say that every year) but this year it's really true. They don't have any depth at all and there isn't any help coming up.

I dont think Niles wins 6. I don't know who their OOCs are but losing the QB is huge. A lot of leadership and playmaking ability is gone.

Jefferson surprised me with their ability to stay fairly close in games last year. They may be halfway decent.

Hubbard is one team that I'm curious about. They could be pretty good, but no matter how good, playoffs aren't their friend.
Jefferson got real excited when they came close to beating Hubbard. They got pounded by Struthers the next week and Struthers stunk

That Jefferson game... Dear lord. Two straight years of giving away week 11 games. Hubbard has a lot to prove in 2021. Have to take care of your own backyard first. Results have been unacceptable against very good SR and Poland teams these past two seasons. The Eagles have the talent and experience to change that this season. Hopefully they're focused.

That Jefferson game... Dear lord. Two straight years of giving away week 11 games. Hubbard has a lot to prove in 2021. Have to take care of your own backyard first. Results have been unacceptable against very good SR and Poland teams these past two seasons. The Eagles have the talent and experience to change that this season. Hopefully they're focused.
Yeah, they had no reason in the world losing that second round Geneva game. First round game against Alliance was to close as well. That Alliance QB is on YSU's roster this spring. I thought he was a pretty decent QB.

Should be really good on oline and front 7. Wild card will be secondary and skill.
Agreed, the oline and front 7 is set. Need to find some points and the DBs are all going to be new starters. If we can get production from both backfields then we should be really good once again.

I agree with both.

Wow, so you thought Girard was not going to be any good in 2018. They went to state. That was a damn good team I thought.

No I figured they'd be good that year. I meant they were better this past season than I thought.
Wow, so you thought Girard was not going to be any good in 2018. They went to state. That was a damn good team I thought.

No I figured they'd be good that year. I meant they were better this past season than I thought.
Gotcha. I just thought you were going back a few years, when you said, I say that every year.

Last edited:
Yeah, they had no reason in the world losing that second round Geneva game. First round game against Alliance was to close as well. That Alliance QB is on YSU's roster this spring. I thought he was a pretty decent QB.
I forgot that Alliance game was technically a "playoff" game. No that kid was a stud. They were a 6-7 win team if he was healthy all year. They beat Louisville the week after they lost to us.