NCAA Championships - Ohio connections

Taylor Beard (UC) finished 16th in the high jump

Caisja Chandler (UC/Euclid) 19th in 100m, 14th in 200m

Last of all Aaron Bienenfeld (UC) finished 17th in the 10,000m

Adelaide Aquilla (OSU and Magnificat)won the Shot Put.
Sade Olatoye (OSU and Dublin Coffman) placed 8th in the Shot
Madison Pollard (Anthony Wayne) placed 9th in the Shot

Olivia Bechtal - Bay Village -Miami- 400
Olivia Howell - Euclid- Illinois- 1500 made final
Anne Heffernan- Cinc. ursuline- Syracuse 10,000
India Johnson- Hilliard Davidson- Michigan State 10,000
Abby Nichols- Kettering Alter- Colorado 5000 10,000
Stephanie Sherman - Perrysburg? - Toledo-

I know the women better than the men and browsed results. I am sure I missed quite a few.

I know the women better than the men and browsed results. I am sure I missed quite a few.
Olivia Howell went to Solon HS.

Adelaide Aquilla (OSU and Magnificat)won the Shot Put.
Sade Olatoye (OSU and Dublin Coffman) placed 8th in the Shot
Madison Pollard (Anthony Wayne) placed 9th in the Shot
Ironically these 3 women won 8 OHSAA state titles. Aquilla won 0 but is now NCAA champion.
She didn’t qualify for state her senior year in the shot put, but was New Balance Indoor National champ in SP.

Olivia Howell went to Solon HS.
Thanks for the correction. I would like to think I just typed the wrong thing but I really had her connected to Euclid for some reason.

I was browsing the Olympic Trials entries and saw that Degenero is in the 1500 and wondered why Olivia is not. She finished just a few tenths behind her in that very fast NCAA first round. I know the paperwork was due over a week prior to NCAA. Did Illinois fail to enter her? Maybe she is just tired and ready for a break. There are several athletes with slower times than Howell in the field and I am curious.

Stephanie Sherman ran for Toledo Notre Dame Academy

You’re correct. I get those 2 mixed up for some reason.
Thanks for the correction. I would like to think I just typed the wrong thing but I really had her connected to Euclid for some reason.

I was browsing the Olympic Trials entries and saw that Degenero is in the 1500 and wondered why Olivia is not. She finished just a few tenths behind her in that very fast NCAA first round. I know the paperwork was due over a week prior to NCAA. Did Illinois fail to enter her? Maybe she is just tired and ready for a break. There are several athletes with slower times than Howell in the field and I am curious.
In the cases of Geneva vs. Chardon and Solon vs. Euclid, same school colors, same general area of the state, and have had a lot of overlap in the spotlight. Very easy to get them mixed up.

In the cases of Geneva vs. Chardon and Solon vs. Euclid, same school colors, same general area of the state, and have had a lot of overlap in the spotlight. Very easy to get them mixed up.
I’m colorblind so I can’t use that excuse, lol.

Congrats Mr Slippery on your Boys 4x8 State
Championship. That must have been some race to watch from your perspective.

Yes, I recognize almost all of those names. I enjoyed watching India Johnson and Micaela DeGenero fighting it out in the 1600.
I am surprised to see Anne Heffernan on the list. Didn't she graduate H.S. 6 years ago? Pure strength runner.

TMK - Thanks. I anticipated messing up Sherman's school. That's why I put a ? there. I remembered her name but could not remember the school.
Mathking - Thanks for Olatoye's hammer addition. Didn't she win NCAA indoor or outdoor in a previous year? She has had quite a career.
Percidae - Heffernan was probably that long ago with injury and covid delays. She went to Notre Dame and is a grad transfer to Syracuse I believe. If that is correct she has already graduated undergrad.

Can anyone start us on the men? I would miss so many and mess up schools that I would do more harm than good.

Mathking - Thanks for Olatoye's hammer addition. Didn't she win NCAA indoor or outdoor in a previous year? She has had quite a career.
Sade won the weight throw in 2019. Here is an article about her. (It was before the championship, so she is now at 7 All America Honors.) To me it is pretty amazing that one year I had her and Abby Steiner on the same team.

I’m colorblind so I can’t use that excuse, lol.

Congrats Mr Slippery on your Boys 4x8 State
Championship. That must have been some race to watch from your perspective.
Truthfully, I had nothing to do with their success, but your congratulations are appreciated nonetheless. It was certainly a group effort to win, but there were a couple moments in particular that spelled the difference between a narrow win and a narrow 2nd place, IMHO.

TMK - Thanks. I anticipated messing up Sherman's school. That's why I put a ? there. I remembered her name but could not remember the school.
Percidae - Heffernan was probably that long ago with injury and covid delays. She went to Notre Dame and is a grad transfer to Syracuse I believe. If that is correct she has already graduated undergrad.

Can anyone start us on the men? I would miss so many and mess up schools that I would do more harm than good.
400m Dash
Tyler Johnson (Dayton Stivers) - Ohio State
Wayne Lawrence Jr. (Dayton Meadowdale) - Iowa

1500m Run
Lucas Bons (Dublin Coffman) - BYU
Ryan Adams (CVCA) - Furman

10000m Run
JP Trojan (University School) - Syracuse

4x100m Relay
Tyler Johnson - Ohio State (see 400m Dash)
Kainnan Ramsey (Thomas Worthington, Ashland U.) - Ohio State
Rodney Heath Jr. (Lakota East) - Kentucky

4x400m Relay
Lonzell Feagin (Canal Winchester) - Pittsburgh
Wayne Lawrence Jr. - Iowa (see 400m Dash)

Shot Put
Michael Shoaf (Rocky River) - Notre Dame

I'm sure there are more, but I don't follow things as closely as I used to.

Sade won the weight throw in 2019. Here is an article about her. (It was before the championship, so she is now at 7 All America Honors.) To me it is pretty amazing that one year I had her and Abby Steiner on the same team.

7 time All-American is pretty special. I can't imagine that there have been many OSU track athletes who have that many. Did she work on the weight throw & hammer while in HS? And did you realize and know you were in the middle of something extraordinary or was it more a forest for the trees scenario, that you were engrossed in just doing your job to see how special the time was until it was gone?

7 time All-American is pretty special. I can't imagine that there have been many OSU track athletes who have that many. Did she work on the weight throw & hammer while in HS? And did you realize and know you were in the middle of something extraordinary or was it more a forest for the trees scenario, that you were engrossed in just doing your job to see how special the time was until it was gone?
Sade did not do hammer or weight throw in high school. She was a basketball player, so never did indoor. And after the ACL tear we felt it was prudent not to try hammer until she had someone really good coaching her. But she was such a good athlete we always figured that she would end up throwing weight and hammer.

As for knowing it at the time... we knew right away that both Sade and Abby were really, really good. But you are right that it is hard sometimes to truly appreciate that until they are gone.

Congrats to Micaela DeGenaro (Granville) for placing 6th in the 1500 his past Saturday.

What other Ohio athletes competed in the championships this past weekend?
Granville’s Micaela DeGenaro had the 26th best time in tonight US Team Trials Track & Field. The top 24 qualified for the Saturday’s semi finals. Results - https://results.usatf.org

https://cubuffs.com/sports/cross-country/roster/micaela-degenero/15001