NBA thread

The dog days of the regular season are boring and no one seems to care anymore. I don't necessarily like the idea, but at least they're making an attempt with the play-in tournament to incentivize finishing close to making the playoffs as opposed to trying to tank.

I do like the idea above of increasingly slanting home-court advantage to higher seeded teams to reward better regular season performers, and I'd like to see them consider seeding teams 1-16 for the playoffs while still taking the top-8 from each conference. There has to be greater incentive to make a real attempt to play quality basketball all the way through the regular season.

The dog days of the regular season are boring and no one seems to care anymore. I don't necessarily like the idea, but at least they're making an attempt with the play-in tournament to incentivize finishing close to making the playoffs as opposed to trying to tank.

I do like the idea above of increasingly slanting home-court advantage to higher seeded teams to reward better regular season performers, and I'd like to see them consider seeding teams 1-16 for the playoffs while still taking the top-8 from each conference. There has to be greater incentive to make a real attempt to play quality basketball all the way through the regular season.
For the next CBA, the networks come to the table with a pro rated schedule based on stars playing. If you have the Lakers/ Nets teed up for Saturday night, AD/ LeBron/ KD/ Hardin and Kyrie all sit, then you in essence cut revenue in the contract. These guys simply do not get it. The ratings are tanking year after year, they are already millionaires 10 times over so they don't care. This is where the union needs to pull these guys aside and be very clear that their constant sitting is killing the product. You'd think Adam Silver could manage this but he just lays down and watches the product decline.
Get Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic to meet these guys at the union talks and tell them that they ARE the product. And the more they do to push people away with not playing and social injustice messages, the more they hurt not just themselves, but the future of the league.

I said this years ago, you don't HAVE to play 40 minutes a night, but if you are on the active roster, dress, warm up and start. If the game gets out of hand, then sit the second half. But at least the paying customers both in the arena and at home get to see you play. It's sad we have to beg millionaires to play a game.

The Lakers could be in trouble.A.D. might not be back in prime form when the play-offs start.Lebron James will probably not be back until the play-offs start.He will probably be playing in minutes restriction.

The Lakers can beat anyone and repeat as NBA champions if A.D. and Lebron are both 100% and bring there A game.But it doesn't look like that will be the case.Plus they will be playing the Clippers,Suns,or Utah in the first round of the play-offs.

I would pick the field against the Lakers right now.

Last edited:
The Lakers could be in trouble.A.D. might not be back in prime form when the play-offs start.Lebron James will probably not be back until the play-offs start.He will probably be playing in minutes restriction.

The Lakers can beat anyone and repeat as NBA champions if A.D. and Lebron are both 100% and bring there A game.But it doesn't look like that will be the case.Plus they will be playing the Clippers,Suns,or Utah in the first round of the play-offs.

I would pick the field against the Lakers right now.

I agree with you CantonKid.

The Lakers have little choice, they are only 2 games in front of the #7 spot in the playoffs. The NBA has the new format where the 7th place through 10th place teams play their own little tournament to get the final spots in the playoffs set. The Lakers want no part of that. A team like Golden State with Steph could get hot and knock someone out in a one game knock out game.

LeBron has clearly been resting. Remember, last year shaped up perfectly for the Lakers and LeBron and deserves an asterisk by the title. The Lakers were fully healthy and rested for the playoffs, and that benefits no one more than LeBron. If the Lakers get into playoff series where it's 6-7 games series after series, that's not good for them. I'm not convinced AD is going to make it. He's come back very rusty and I think his achilleas and calf are much worst than anyone is saying.

One game in front of the #7 seed, and they have a handful of tough games remaining. The Lakers may be in legit danger of falling into the play-in tournament even with LeBron back in the lineup.

One game in front of the #7 seed, and they have a handful of tough games remaining. The Lakers may be in legit danger of falling into the play-in tournament even with LeBron back in the lineup.

Lebron re-injured his bad ankle and had to leave game early.

He did this in the game against Toronto.The Lakers have 2 chances to repeat.

Slim and none.

Would there be anything better than a play in game with the Lakers vs. Golden State? Steph / Draymond vs. AD and Lebron? Steph go off for about 50 and shimmy his way past Lebron?? Ha!

Would there be anything better than a play in game with the Lakers vs. Golden State? Steph / Draymond vs. AD and Lebron? Steph go off for about 50 and shimmy his way past Lebron?? Ha!

We can only hope. It would be interesting television if both of those teams got matched up and fairly healthy in that format.

We can only hope. It would be interesting television if both of those teams got matched up and fairly healthy in that format.
Only better if Klay came back for those games. The lower seeded team has to win twice I believe.

The Lakers have little choice, they are only 2 games in front of the #7 spot in the playoffs. The NBA has the new format where the 7th place through 10th place teams play their own little tournament to get the final spots in the playoffs set. The Lakers want no part of that. A team like Golden State with Steph could get hot and knock someone out in a one game knock out game.

LeBron has clearly been resting. Remember, last year shaped up perfectly for the Lakers and LeBron and deserves an asterisk by the title. The Lakers were fully healthy and rested for the playoffs, and that benefits no one more than LeBron. If the Lakers get into playoff series where it's 6-7 games series after series, that's not good for them. I'm not convinced AD is going to make it. He's come back very rusty and I think his achilleas and calf are much worst than anyone is saying.

I agree with you about A.D. something isn't right with him.And Lebron re-injured his ankle and isn't going to do much.And Schroder is out 10-14 days with Covid19.I don't think the Lakers are even going to make the play-offs.

I agree with you about A.D. something isn't right with him.And Lebron re-injured his ankle and isn't going to do much.And Schroder is out 10-14 days with Covid19.I don't think the Lakers are even going to make the play-offs.
There is no way they don't make the playoffs, but they are setting themselves up as a lower seed and maybe even needing to go through the play-in process which is more games for a team that needs to play as few games as possible. Also, if AD continues to struggle, and the achilles is an issue, at what point do you pull the plug on this season, get him healed up fully for next season or have a surgery if necessary? I'm not sure if LeBron can wait, but for AD, he's got alot of productive years ahead of him. He tries to push through this and rupters his achilles like KD did, he's done next season too.

There is no way they don't make the playoffs, but they are setting themselves up as a lower seed and maybe even needing to go through the play-in process which is more games for a team that needs to play as few games as possible. Also, if AD continues to struggle, and the achilles is an issue, at what point do you pull the plug on this season, get him healed up fully for next season or have a surgery if necessary? I'm not sure if LeBron can wait, but for AD, he's got alot of productive years ahead of him. He tries to push through this and rupters his achilles like KD did, he's done next season too.

It's better to be safe than sorry.Pull the plug on this season and make sure A.D. is healed up 100% for next season.Make sure Lebron is fully healed up as well.

It's better to be safe than sorry.Pull the plug on this season and make sure A.D. is healed up 100% for next season.Make sure Lebron is fully healed up as well.
I think LeBron is seeing the end. He's never going to be able to play an entire season, including playoffs and reach his goals. He was fortunate last season was the way it was and he could get that last title. I don't see a LeBron being that guy who will accept a lesser role, less minutes to win a title. To his credit, he's always wanted to be the guy.

I think LeBron is seeing the end. He's never going to be able to play an entire season, including playoffs and reach his goals. He was fortunate last season was the way it was and he could get that last title. I don't see a LeBron being that guy who will accept a lesser role, less minutes to win a title. To his credit, he's always wanted to be the guy.

If Lebron wants to play with his high ankle sprain it should be coming off the bench.A.D. should be the guy to tell him to come off the bench.Lebron won't listen to anyone else.

I'm more concerned about A.D.'s health.I would pull the plug on this season and make sure A.D. is 100% healthy for next year.

Schroder is out 10-14 days with Covid19.After A.D. and Lebron he is the best player on the Lakers.The Lakers are not going to do anything this year.It's time to close it down this year.

The Lakers are not going to make the play-offs this season with A.D. less than 100% and Lebron around 50% and Schroder out the rest of the season.

The Lakers schedule......

Clippers-lose
Portland-lose
Suns-lose
Knicks-lose
Houston-win
Pacers-lose
Pelicans-lose

Remember A.D isn't right,Lebron is 50%,and Schroder is out.

The Lakers will be lucky to make the play-offs.If they do they will get swept in the first round.

The Lakers schedule......

Clippers-lose
Portland-lose
Suns-lose
Knicks-lose
Houston-win
Pacers-lose
Pelicans-lose

Remember A.D isn't right,Lebron is 50%,and Schroder is out.

The Lakers will be lucky to make the play-offs.If they do they will get swept in the first round.
Only Laker fans, ESPN/TNT would be unhappy if this happens. The NBA TV ratings may actually go up if LeBron isn't involved.

Now Anthony Davis is hurt again.He hurt his back after 9 minutes of play and never returned.

And the Lakers play Portland tonight.And Tucker is hurt also and out tonight.

The Clippers beat a injury riddled Laker team 118-94.

Lebron James is hurt and not playing.A.D. is hurt again with a bad back.Schroder out for the season with covid19.Tucker out with a calf sprain.

Tonight might be a must win for the Lakers in terms of avoiding the play-in tournament. If the Blazers win tonight I could see them winning three in a row before running into a tough final three game stretch. I don't see any way the Lakers finish ahead of Portland with a loss tonight.

Could LeBron and the Lakers waive the white flag, shut down AD and call it a season rather than experience an embarassing loss in the playoffs?
Tonight might be a must win for the Lakers in terms of avoiding the play-in tournament. If the Blazers win tonight I could see them winning three in a row before running into a tough final three game stretch. I don't see any way the Lakers finish ahead of Portland with a loss tonight.

Lebron's injury was a fluke.Look at how he got injured.I don't care if he was 22 years old he would be out just as long.He was the MVP of the Championship team last year and was in the running for the League's MVP this year before his fluke injury that caused his bad high ankle sprain.

Some people just don't like him and say It's his age that he got injured.Well what about last year his winning the MVP of the NBA Finals.His injury this year was a FLUKE.Take a look at how he got his high ankle sprain.I bet his critics have not seen his injury and how he got his high ankle sprain.It was gruesome.

Lebron's injury was a fluke.Look at how he got injured.I don't care if he was 22 years old he would be out just as long.He was the MVP of the Championship team last year and was in the running for the League's MVP this year before his fluke injury that caused his bad high ankle sprain.

Some people just don't like him and say It's his age that he got injured.Well what about last year his winning the MVP of the NBA Finals.His injury this year was a FLUKE.Take a look at how he got his high ankle sprain.I bet his critics have not seen his injury and how he got his high ankle sprain.It was gruesome.

I could not have said it better.I agree James injury was a fluke.It has nothing to do with his age.But there are alot of Lebron James haters out there.

Anthony Davis pulled his groin muscle........

What a differnce in A.D. when he plays with his groin pull and when he is healthy.It is like night and day.He can go for 30-12 a night when healthy and is one of the best shot blockers in the league.He is also arguably the best defensive player in the league.A.D. is the best big man in the league!

If Denver beats Portland tomorrow,and LA beats the Pelicans the Lakers get the #6 seed!

The Lakers would not have to play in the play-in! They would play Denver in the 1st round.

Should the Lakers play A.D. tomorrow? On back to back days?

A.D. played 36 minutes today with a pulled groin muscle.He went 28-10 today.

I wonder how hard Denver will try to win tonight? If Denver wins they will play the Lakers(Assuming the Lakers beat the Pelicans) in the first round.If Denver gets beat they will play Dallas in the first round of the play-offs.

The Lakers beat the Pelicans 110-98.Lebron scored 25 points but re-injured his ankle.

Lebron stepped on Nickeil Alexander-Walker's foot in the 4th quarter to re-injure his ankle.He fell to the floor and laid on his back for several minutes before getting up and gingerly walk of the court.He never returned to play.

A.D. only scored 14 points while playing with a pulled groin muscle and a bad shoulder.

I can't see the Lakers beating the Warriors in the play-in with A.D. and Lebron injured.

I can't see the Lakers beating the winner of the other play-in game between the Grizzly's and Spurs either.

Both A.D. and Lebron missed alot of games this year.Now there both injured again.

Lets look forward to next year and winning the NBA Championship!!

Lakers beat the Warriors 103-100 to advance to play the Suns in a 7 game series.

A.D. scored 25 points and had 12 rebounds to lead the Lakers.Lebron had a triple double.

Lebron had 22 points and 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

Lebron hit a long 3 as the shot clock expired for the game winner.

The Warriors let a golden opportunity slip away last night. The Lakers looked old and listless for 3+ quarters, the Warriors had as much as a 13 point lead.
The whittled it down in the 4th quarter as the Warriors started turning the ball over. With a minute to go and the Lakers stuck, the ball was kicked out to LeBron with the shot clock going down and he hit a desperation 3 to put the Lakers up 3. Steph Curry missed some critical shots in the lane down the stretch that could have built up a little lead for Golden State.

Really hard to see this Laker team making much of a playoff run. AD basically sat on the perimeter and shot jumpers until the 4th quarter.