MVAC Scarlet Tier

Why would they do that? That doesn’t seem like a good idea. Probably 0-4 in those games
If I recall, I believe the class that is juniors at Mathews is supposed to be pretty good (relative), so that could be a reason they bumped their schedule. Know nothing about SE, but given that NF and JM lose almost their entire teams I think Mathews would have a decent shot at beating both.

As for the league, Springfield is definitely the favorites heading into 2023. The Tigers return 7 or 8 on both O and D with a solid junior class. That said, while they aren't losing a lot, they are losing some of their best players in Gardner, Woods, First, Lacivita that will have big shoes to fill.

After Springfield I have a group of 4 teams battling for 2nd place:
-Lowellville won't completely fall off this year, they return all lineman, a decent rb, and some good skill guys in Dabney and Lucido.
-MR may have the best player in the league in Erb, but losing Valley (QB), Miller (WR), and a couple lineman are huge losses.
-WR returns most of their squad and will be led by Henning and Darney, they should be improved in their second year under Armeni
-McDonald was moderately improved in 2022 but should see a bigger jump with the freshman class becoming sophomores.

I see separation then down to Waterloo and JM. Both lose a ton from their squads this year.

Here is what I was able to find via maxpreps and the schools websites for the lower levels:

At the JV level McDonald and Springfield had by far the best 2 squads. Unfortunately they didn't play due to injuries. Those 2 blew out all the other league teams.

At the Jr High level Ridge and Springfield were the 2 best teams and tied on the field, winning all their other league games. McDonald was 3rd and came up just short of beating Springfield.

Playing non leagues vs. Jackson Milton, Southeast, Newton Falls, Lowellville, Springfield, and Mineral Ridge... Give them credit for strengthening the schedule a bit... Playing the league schedule, those non league opponents are just going to be using Mathews as a points cow.... See what players return next year after we see who new coach will be.
Do you think players won’t play?

I don’t know what the Blue Devil odds are to win the league, but if we could bet them, they would me a sneaky bet. I think they bounce back this year with everyone returning. I expect a big year.

I don’t know what the Blue Devil odds are to win the league, but if we could bet them, they would me a sneaky bet. I think they bounce back this year with everyone returning. I expect a big year.

Dropping Brookfield and Liberty and replacing them with Malvern and Columbiana may give them a couple more wins. They lost to Waterloo and Jackson Milton last year so they still have a ways to go. Maybe 6 wins given the weak non-conference (Conneaut too) and weakened conference schedule with graduation of other schools.

Heard MVAC is adding a team … from Portage County is all I heard … not sure if source is reliable … anyone else?

Heard MVAC is adding a team … from Portage County is all I heard … not sure if source is reliable … anyone else?
I’ve heard they are in discussions with NAC for some cross over games, Mathews was approached but declined to join MVAC but have scheduled Springfield and Loweville as non conference

If true, my guess would be Southeast. If Campbell is taking Sebrings spot, I can’t imagine Falls would be happy it’s not them since they’ve been vocal about wanting to get into the scarlet.

Last edited:
If true, my guess would be Southeast. If Campbell is taking Sebrings spot, I can’t imagine Falls would be happy it’s not them since they’ve been vocal about wanting to get into the scarlet.
Yeah idk why they are not in that tier to begin with. Close travel to JM, MR, McDonald, and WR, 3 who they have played or scrimmages already anyway. Newton Falls to the Scarlet Tier makes so much sense. Springfield being in that league has never really made sense other than the fact that there are some old ICL and ITCL rivalries in there

Would be surprised if Ravenna Southeast bailed on Mogadore and Rootstown. Thought they agreed to be a package deal. But hey Garrettsville Garfield and Mantua Crestwood were to abide by that too.

Yeah idk why they are not in that tier to begin with. Close travel to JM, MR, McDonald, and WR, 3 who they have played or scrimmages already anyway. Newton Falls to the Scarlet Tier makes so much sense. Springfield being in that league has never really made sense other than the fact that there are some old ICL and ITCL rivalries in there
I’m not sure how Springfield doesn’t make sense but NF does? They were apart of the icl and have a long history of playing almost the entire league for decades (save Waterloo), are D7, and geographically in the footprint. I would hate to see Springfield not in the scarlet, it just makes the tier so much worse in pretty much every sport.

Would be surprised if Ravenna Southeast bailed on Mogadore and Rootstown. Thought they agreed to be a package deal. But hey Garrettsville Garfield and Mantua Crestwood were to abide by that too.
They may have had some handshake agreement, but the stability of being able to go to a league that would have full 8 school membership is probably too good to pass, just like crestwood and Garfield did.

I’m not sure how Springfield doesn’t make sense but NF does? They were apart of the icl and have a long history of playing almost the entire league for decades (save Waterloo), are D7, and geographically in the footprint. I would hate to see Springfield not in the scarlet, it just makes the tier so much worse in pretty much every sport.
You’re probably right, but they make more sense than Waterloo

Springfield makes total sense D7 closed enrollment, of course parents of the teams that Springfield dominates would like to see them leave.

Overheard at Springfield girls basketball game. Campbell is switching tiers and Southeast is joining the Grey tier taking Campbell's spot. Makes sense. Mathews was rumored, but they have a cake schedule with their conference now. They would not survive in football, but could other sports. Sebring still involved just not in football.

Overheard at Springfield girls basketball game. Campbell is switching tiers and Southeast is joining the Grey tier taking Campbell's spot. Makes sense. Mathews was rumored, but they have a cake schedule with their conference now. They would not survive in football, but could other sports. Sebring still involved just not in football.
Southeast doesn't want to be in a league with privates. They have tied to get JFK and Aquinas kicked from PTC since the moment they got in. Kennedy running clocking them during the best season in school history was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Makes sense for Southeast….this makes their life easier for scheduling purposes. You also trade Mogadore and JFK for Brookfield and Garfield so you still have good teams to challenge you in the regular season

When the league started there was one opening and it was down to NF or Springfield, NF said they would dominate that tier so they didnt want in, that is factual, it came from the principal so they didnt accept the offer.