Milesplit District Entries

KevinL

I found that if an athlete improves their mark after they are already entered into a meet, it will not update their time. If an athlete improves their mark, you have to remove them and re-add them to have the better mark show up.

I was able to type in a mark for some kids who only participated in dual meets or Hand-timed marks that were not turned in to Milesplit.

There were specific directions, but some of them have been changed.

Originally Milesplit was set up so that only "verified" marks could be used for district meet entry. Verified did not actually mean verified, it just meant that the meet was in Milesplit's database. There was a lot of pushback, and now we can enter marks manually. My suspicion is that people were thinking this would be like indoor track. But in the indoor season there are fewer than 10 meets per week, and the OATCCC made a strategic decision to use Milesplit for all the qualifying meets. I am happy that is not the case outdoors, because Milesplit's roster and meet entry process is simply not as smooth and not as well designed as Athletic.net, which we use for most of our meets. But it meant that lots and lots of meets were not loaded into the MS database.

From another thread:
For all of the conference meets that we do I actually update all the seed marks before I put into the system . There is an option to update seeds at any point in the meet manager side.
I wonder if updating would remove those marks that have been manually added by coaches?

I entered our league meet to make sure we were in. I did the entries for both the boys and girls. The girls coach had a family issue to attend to out of state. When he came back we were on the phone going over things and it was different than what I had been able to do just 2 days prior. On Friday, none of the marks from our conference meet were populated with entries into the District. Was told by a coach that the 9th was the cut off for those marks and our meet was the 10th. Could not put hand times in a week ago, but now we can? Talk to different coaches and get different things just a day or two apart. I just want to enter the meet properly one time. I do not want to revisit things 4 or 5 times and be told that now I can go do something I couldn't yesterday. I'm sure it will work itself out, but I'm scared to death I'll mess something up and screw over on of the kids on my team. Then, have to explain to parents and administration.

It's one thing to mess up entries into an invitational or the league meet where people are understanding. It's another thing to mess up at the District level.

I entered our league meet to make sure we were in. I did the entries for both the boys and girls. The girls coach had a family issue to attend to out of state. When he came back we were on the phone going over things and it was different than what I had been able to do just 2 days prior. On Friday, none of the marks from our conference meet were populated with entries into the District. Was told by a coach that the 9th was the cut off for those marks and our meet was the 10th. Could not put hand times in a week ago, but now we can? Talk to different coaches and get different things just a day or two apart. I just want to enter the meet properly one time. I do not want to revisit things 4 or 5 times and be told that now I can go do something I couldn't yesterday. I'm sure it will work itself out, but I'm scared to death I'll mess something up and screw over on of the kids on my team. Then, have to explain to parents and administration.

It's one thing to mess up entries into an invitational or the league meet where people are understanding. It's another thing to mess up at the District level.
I agree 100%. I have been stressed about this for two weeks. The ever changing conditions have only increased that stress.

OHSAA was told how it should work and never communicated this to the coaches to make sure they were aware that marks would be verified only. Had this been done from the very beginning then schools would have been making sure that meets results were uploaded to the system in milesplit. Then they decided to change course for this year and allow coaches to modify times but then never communicated that with the district managers or timing companies that would be downloading the entries.
For all of the meets we are doing we do a seed update to make sure all the recent marks are used from the late conference meets that are all in the system by now.
I understand the frustration but there was also a notice from OHSAA stating this would be the way you were going to enter for districts and for those complaining maybe some should have got acquainted with the system before 2 days before deadline for districts. I for one want it to be verified times and now that everyone knows this they can start making sure the meets they go to are sending the results in.

"On Friday, none of the marks from our conference meet were populated with entries into the District. Was told by a coach that the 9th was the cut off for those marks and our meet was the 10th. Could not put hand times in a week ago, but now we can?"

The 9th was a cutoff for the MS meet and that was an OHSAA rule not anyone else. Has been that way the last 2 years as they needed time to confirm and get everything ready.
Your last sentence is the reason for verified marks. Hand times should not be used for anything at districts.

OHSAA was told how it should work and never communicated this to the coaches to make sure they were aware that marks would be verified only. Had this been done from the very beginning then schools would have been making sure that meets results were uploaded to the system in milesplit. Then they decided to change course for this year and allow coaches to modify times but then never communicated that with the district managers or timing companies that would be downloading the entries.
For all of the meets we are doing we do a seed update to make sure all the recent marks are used from the late conference meets that are all in the system by now.
I understand the frustration but there was also a notice from OHSAA stating this would be the way you were going to enter for districts and for those complaining maybe some should have got acquainted with the system before 2 days before deadline for districts. I for one want it to be verified times and now that everyone knows this they can start making sure the meets they go to are sending the results in.

"On Friday, none of the marks from our conference meet were populated with entries into the District. Was told by a coach that the 9th was the cut off for those marks and our meet was the 10th. Could not put hand times in a week ago, but now we can?"

The 9th was a cutoff for the MS meet and that was an OHSAA rule not anyone else. Has been that way the last 2 years as they needed time to confirm and get everything ready.
Your last sentence is the reason for verified marks. Hand times should not be used for anything at districts.
I for one knew about this well before 2 days before. Furthermore, I checked with the timing company that did most of our meets and they were in contact with Milesplit after every meet, yet it still took a long time for the results sent to end up in the database. So this is not simply an issue with meets not sending in times. The Milesplit site is not that great from a technical design standpoint and it seems pretty clear they do not have adequate resources to get meets processed in a reasonable amount of time.

As for "Hand times should not be used for anything at districts." I actually disagree. Even though I think coaches lying about marks is a huge problem. We are not yet at the point where all schools are running all automatically timed meets. In my son's senior year last year, half his meets were hand timed. From random chance, the last five meets included two that were automatic timing with driving rain, and his 300H times were 3 seconds slower than the other three meets, with better weather and manual timing. If we say that hand times cannot be used we are telling the schools with fewer resources "here is another disadvantage for your kids." We had a couple of meets this year run by a timing company that had a lot of technical issues and so most of the times were hand times at one of their meets. Since that was the last regular season meet, we had hand times there that were should legitimately count for district seeding purposes. (They should be noted as hand times and converted.)

Was not given access to the system literally until 2 days before I had to use it for the first time to enter our Conference meet. Less that 2 weeks before entering the District meet. Not rocket science, but we had issues that are still not resolved on entries not going through for the District. One of the Districts reopened entries I was told by multiple coaches in that District. Ours did not and there are issues that have not been addressed. I am not a milesplit subscriber, so I had to wait until they got me my log in. The issue is that every coach I talk to has different information. I have no idea or even care when the time cut of is or was for marks, but other coaches seem to have information on that. I have exactly 2 emails about any of this. An email with instructions on getting my log in and an invitation to enter the District meet. I did get another one yesterday at 2:36 about scratches. Least amount of instructions as possible. We have a boy and a girl that as of now are not entered in the District. Glitch in the system might deny them the ability to compete. That's a problem.

Why should hand times not be used? Been using hand times for my entire life and they work just fine. I know how to put times in. I know how to put heights in. My high jumpers heights are lifetime bests which are not reflective of how they are jumping now. The starting heights are being determined by 4" PR's.

By the way, our seed times are not even close in nearly every event that counts.

100 .25 off
200 .37 off
400 .20 off (And a hand time is what is being used)
800 over 9 seconds off (who cares though)
1600 good enough (Another doesn't really matter)
110h 1.27 seconds off with a hand time being used not an FAT
300h close enough
4x100 .53 off
4x200 .84 off
4x400 comically 10 seconds off... 10 seconds!!!!

All of our seed times are slow

Why is it so hard to post a heat sheet for District?
I see some Districts have them up already but not Lakeview.
They never did last year. We got them as we left the bus and entered the stadium. There were mistakes too. Will hurdlers not on the host school team be allowed to go over any hurdles before the races? I'm the "go with the flow" coach on our staff and I am irritated. Our not so go with the flow coach really gets upset about lack of heat sheets. I just want to know my kids are entered, oh wait, they aren't. I think, I have no idea.

I do not understand any of this seed time stuff. in one event, our kids profile has him at one time and the seed time entered into the District is a full 7 seconds slower. Which is actually 10 seconds slower that what he runs.

My daughter coaches in NC and it is mandatory that every meet be reported to Milesplit. You advance to the Regional strictly based on your Milesplit ranking. I guess we have to make that same commitment or it's worthless. The only accurate times on any of my kids used for seeding the Dictrict are the times in the 1600m and 3200, but only because I scratched and replaced and could enter times. PV heights are good. HJ are off. LJ is over a foot off each jumper, Shot and Disc are good. I know some of the seeding doesn't really matter, but some of it does.

How upset would other coaches be with me if I intentionally entered a kid in at 10 seconds off? They might make a decision on how to run a kid based on that.

I have relay decisions to make during the season, so I don't necessarily run my best kids in the 100, 200 or 400 in meets. I will give kids chances to prove themselves in meets and I might not run other kids in their #1 event all season until the League or District meet, or I get all the info I need on them from Dual meets that aren't reported to milesplit.

It's almost to my advantage that the seeding is so messed up, but I would never intentionally put in the times and distances/heights that my kids have been entered into the District meet with. I can't wait until this day is over. I feel dishonest.

Psycho
Send me the athlete that is in question and I will look into what is happening. scratch@finishtiming.com (temporary email account I use for league week)
For anyone that is having problems with times not showing you need to let someone know rather than either just letting it go or talking about it on a forum. Please email me the situation at the above email and I will start looking into this so next season will be different.

It sounds like there needs to be some kinks worked out between (some) timing companies and Milesplit and clearer communication between Milesplit and meet managers so that everything gets where it needs to be.

I'll say that in our part of the state, 99.9 percent of meets are timed by Finishtiming or GHGTiming, and I've had no issues with things populating into Milesplit, usually within hours (or half a day at most) after a meet is finished. All our seed times popped in this week as our kids' season best performance.

I miss the days when results were easily found on Baumspage within minutes of the conclusion of the meet, not the next morning. Always enjoyed the bus ride home when we would get a surprise qualifier for finals that we missed an announcement for.

I miss the days when results were easily found on Baumspage within minutes of the conclusion of the meet, not the next morning. Always enjoyed the bus ride home when we would get a surprise qualifier for finals that we missed an announcement for.
Were you around back in the 80s/90s before the internet? You had to get them by fax :p

I would reckon it is going to take some time to get the milesplit move cleaned up. However I would agree baumspage was pretty convienent.

Were you around back in the 80s/90s before the internet? You had to get them by fax :p
I started my coaching career in 2008-2009. When I started we still got results from some meets by fax. I have heard stories from some of the older coaches scoring a meet with carbon paper. In the conference that I coach in some teams still score the meet by hand and scan all the results.

Psycho
Send me the athlete that is in question and I will look into what is happening. scratch@finishtiming.com (temporary email account I use for league week)
For anyone that is having problems with times not showing you need to let someone know rather than either just letting it go or talking about it on a forum. Please email me the situation at the above email and I will start looking into this so next season will be different.
I appreciate the offer, but you were not in charge of our District and I was already gone from work on my way to the bus. It was sort of a disaster, but it all got worked out in the end.

For next season, we have to make sure all of our meets are reported. We have to make sure that all the information for each of our kids is correct and that our seed times will be determined before our league meet.

Incidently, my 3:43 4x400 ran 3:30 I would have put 3:31.

Here is my biggest gripe today. Not only for my kids, but for all the kids. I'll give an example of one of my kids, but he was not the only one. Everything 400 and below is advanced on time. The seed times were so jacked up that heats were not even close to being balanced. 3 fastest kids might be in one heat. One of my 300m hurdlers ran away with his heat and missed finals by finishing 9th .30 off which was one of the slowest times he ran in weeks. Every sprint race was just way off. 3 or 4 legit kids on the same heat with 1 kid in others. Not at all fair for some kids. I had a kid win his heat in the 100 from 5th fastest time and he didn't run exceptionally well, he was just that badly seeded. If we are advancing strictly on time, then it is very important that seed times be as accurate and up to date as possible.

Milesplit ended up changing settings so that we could enter marks and times by hand. Which is fine. For a lot of teams in the Central District we still don’t have all of our meets correctly in the database, so automatically updating would not help. Next year if they want this to work they need to either upgrade on the software side to make the process of uploading and verifying faster, or invest in more people to do that work. Or both.

Milesplit ended up changing settings so that we could enter marks and times by hand. Which is fine. For a lot of teams in the Central District we still don’t have all of our meets correctly in the database, so automatically updating would not help. Next year if they want this to work they need to either upgrade on the software side to make the process of uploading and verifying faster, or invest in more people to do that work. Or both.
i spoke with my daughter yesterday and she said to expect to put a lot of time and effort into it. They go Regional to State. Getting into Regional is strictly based on times in milesplit. Everything has to be correct, so she says she spends a few hours a week with emails back and forth to make sure meets are in and that incorrect results are fixed. Some schools and coaches care more than others and we will start selecting meets based on results and milesplit.

Say you put on a meet and have roughly 1000 results in that meet. They will all be scrutinized and will need to be corrected for spelling mistakes. every shot and disc and long jump marked will be questioned. It will matter more if the kid threw 38'-6" or 38'-6 1/2" than if they were 3rd or 4th place. No more people that do not know how to use meet management software and just add an 1" a to mark to break a tie. Your dual meets have to have full results uploaded to milesplit, so be ready for that. Good luck to older coaches,who are not into doing it this way.

I think advancing directly to the regional based on times would be a mistake. Conditions are not the same across the state. What if your team had lots of bad weather? What if you go to three straight meets with huge tail winds so your 100 and 200 times don’t count? What if there is no wind gauge at the long jump? Not all teams can afford to travel for big meets which get set up for fast times. Not every school can afford auto timing for their dual meets. I would be fine with a set up that let some kids advance based on “ the next N best marks” principle, but I think what we have now is pretty straightforward. You beat your competitors to advance.

As a reporter, my paper has noticed that the posting of results were pretty hit or miss.
One of our district meets isn't even listed on MileSplit's webpage. Luckily someone sent us a link to a Google Doc with the results.
Another meet still only has Day 1 results, and it's now 7:15 p.m. on Saturday.
A third meet has still yet to provide the boys pole vault results, even though we heard through the social media grapevine that event occurred on the first day.
And trying to print what results (I realize most of you wouldn't have to worry about that) we can find is out because there's some sort of banner that covers the top portion of each page and blocks the results.

Update:
The meet that wasn't listed on MileSplit has finally been posted to it. Heaven forbid they do that on the first day of the meet, but at least it's there now.

It would be helpful if uniform procedures for reporting results were created. You would then need meet managers who are willing to follow those procedures. Unfortunately, too many people won't adjust what they do until they are forced to do so. Milesplit doesn't have the authority to make demands upon meet managers. I doubt the OHSAA will step into the breach. I believe the OATCCC is probably the right group to develop the reporting procedures, but they have no enforcement powers.

My gut says this is a situation that will be resolved at the coaches' level with each of us demanding meet managers report things appropriately. The leverage is being willing to leave otherwise good meets.

This is not an impossible situation and once expectations are clear, I think everyone will be able to easily adapt. Whether they choose to adapt or not will be the sticking point, but I think there will only be a handful of such people once expectations are clear.

Update:
The meet that wasn't listed on MileSplit has finally been posted to it. Heaven forbid they do that on the first day of the meet, but at least it's there now.
If the district meet you are referring to was the D1 District meet at Findlay, I was able to find the results on Ohio Milesplit Thursday evening by entering "OHSAA Findlay" in the search field for meets. The meet popped right up but the results were in a Google doc like you mentioned. Not sure why it wasn't listed like the other district meets.

It would be helpful if uniform procedures for reporting results were created. You would then need meet managers who are willing to follow those procedures. Unfortunately, too many people won't adjust what they do until they are forced to do so. Milesplit doesn't have the authority to make demands upon meet managers. I doubt the OHSAA will step into the breach. I believe the OATCCC is probably the right group to develop the reporting procedures, but they have no enforcement powers.

My gut says this is a situation that will be resolved at the coaches' level with each of us demanding meet managers report things appropriately. The leverage is being willing to leave otherwise good meets.

This is not an impossible situation and once expectations are clear, I think everyone will be able to easily adapt. Whether they choose to adapt or not will be the sticking point, but I think there will only be a handful of such people once expectations are clear.
This is not a situation that will be solved just by meet mangers reporting things appropriately. We had meet results that were reported appropriately (as in following Milesplit’s instructions) that took many days to show up in Milesplit. This is true for many if not most schools in central Ohio. So this isn’t a problem we can solve just by putting pressure on meets. Yes standard reporting procedures need to be followed. There is software that can do that. Most of those most commonly used sites for meet entries and results have such procedures. You are probably correct that OATCCC has a roll to play, but that will probably have to involve pressure on Milesplit as much as on coaches.