Mike Doss

GOeaglez22

I heard he is the only football player to ever win a national championship on the High School, College and Pro(NFL) level. Can anyone verify or disprove this?

Good question. Do not know about Doss.

To augment that question, who in the NFL today would be added to that list should their team win the Super Bowl? I know of only one, but there must be more:

1. DJ Williams - Denver Broncos

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that Terry Porter is the only official with a college national championship ring.

To augment that question, who in the NFL today would be added to that list should their team win the Super Bowl? I know of only one, but there must be more:

Well add him to the list becasue Denver is taking it all in 2008 :D Go Broncos!

all i know is that mike doss went to the one and only McKinley Senior High School

GO PUPS!

Huh? There are three McKinley Senior High Schools in Ohio alone, four if you count Columbus Linden-McKinley. Not to mention McKinley Senior High Schools in New York, Louisiana, and Hawaii.

But he did attend THE Ohio State University.

Huh? There are three McKinley Senior High Schools in Ohio alone, four if you count Columbus Linden-McKinley. Not to mention McKinley Senior High Schools in New York, Louisiana, and Hawaii.

But he did attend THE Ohio State University.

He is referring to Canton McKinley H.S.

Named for President William McKinley (Canton is where President McKinley lived and is buried).

http://www.mckinleymuseum.org/

Danny O'Leary of St. Ignatius was on a national championship HS team, runner-up team at Notre Dame, but I do not believe he found the Holy Land in the NFL

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that Terry Porter is the only official with a college national championship ring.
Gee,sounds like a typical Hurricanes fan.Terry Porter made the CORRECT call(albeit late)But CORRECT nonetheless.That's all right,they let 12(no that is not a typo)holding calls go against the Crybabycanes.A buddy of mine sent them to me a week after the 2002 game.They were on the Internet
Finally,think about this.Maybe OSU DESERVED to win because they outplayed,outhustled and outcoached the Canes(which is the way it was):wallbang:

Gee,sounds like a typical Hurricanes fan.Terry Porter made the CORRECT call(albeit late)But CORRECT nonetheless.That's all right,they let 12(no that is not a typo)holding calls go against the Crybabycanes.A buddy of mine sent them to me a week after the 2002 game.They were on the Internet
Finally,think about this.Maybe OSU DESERVED to win because they outplayed,outhustled and outcoached the Canes(which is the way it was):wallbang:

Amen!!!!

but that won't count according to SLC Dad

cuz
1) DLS is no good anymore
2) anything that happened in HS football prior to 2004 does not register as meaningful
3) DLS #1 national ranking(s) is (Are) tainted because they dont have playoffs in which 3-7 and 5-5 teams dot the landscape making 2 watered down divisions look like a mighty 6 rounds of playoffs
4) Canyon in 2006 beat a less than stellar DLS team on their worst game of the year so anything that DLS has previosuly accomplished is meaningless

isnt that it daditis?

cuz
1) DLS is no good anymore
2) anything that happened in HS football prior to 2004 does not register as meaningful
3) DLS #1 national ranking(s) is (Are) tainted because they dont have playoffs in which 3-7 and 5-5 teams dot the landscape making 2 watered down divisions look like a mighty 6 rounds of playoffs
4) Canyon in 2006 beat a less than stellar DLS team on their worst game of the year so anything that DLS has previosuly accomplished is meaningless

isnt that it daditis?

I'm not sure what brought this on but, Consumerman, you are a hoot!

Since Consumerman insists on putting words in my mouth and starting a debate, I'll add my true feelings on his points. His comments do not reflect what I've posted nor what I believe.

cuz
1) DLS is no good anymore (DLS hasn't been a national top 10 team in the final rankings since 2003. Some years they haven't made the top 25. Since the new philosophy at DLS is to limit the number of grants given to football players, it appears DLS will have a tough time getter back to national prominence. I'm wondering if it will ever happen. I saw a Calif pre-season ranking and DLS was listed as the #7 team in Calif. That's still a very, very good football team.)

2) anything that happened in HS football prior to 2004 does not register as meaningful (I'd rather talk about the current season or current programs above the past any day. However, I know the DLS faithful love to dwell on "the streak" and the glory days of a few years ago. Good for them. I don't know where Consumerman gets the 2004 number but people usually look at 2002 and later when discussing SLC since that is the year they moved up to the Texas 5A classification and first entered the national picture.)

3) DLS #1 national ranking(s) is (Are) tainted because they dont have playoffs in which 3-7 and 5-5 teams dot the landscape making 2 watered down divisions look like a mighty 6 rounds of playoffs (I don't believe that the DLS #1 rankings in the past are tainted. However, I do believe that the streak would have likely been broken much sooner if DLS had to face a state championship tournament bracket like they have in Florida, Ohio or Texas.)

4) Canyon in 2006 beat a less than stellar DLS team on their worst game of the year so anything that DLS has previosuly accomplished is meaningless. (DLS was rated #1 by USA Today before that game. Prior to that game Consumerman himself was debating how good the 2006 DLS team was. DLS had a chance to prove the naysayers wrong but they failed. Consumerman says they played their worst game of the year. He fails to mention that Canyon threw 2 or 3 interceptions in the 2nd half but DLS couldn't capitalize on them. DLS had every opportunity to win that game. As I watched the game, I thought the key was that DLS didn't have an answer for the Canyon running back. It's a cop-out to say it was the worst DLS game of the season, IMO. DLS just wasn't good enough.)

isnt that it daditis? (If anybody thinks my statements don't make sense, let's talk.)

-

Last edited:
I was at the Elder game and the Canyon Country game.

DLS definitely looked worse at the Canyon Country game to me.

If they were a better team, their worst game might still have resulted in a win (they came pretty close as it was; the two stops in a row with the score 20-13 were a killer).

If they hadn't played their worst game, there is an excellent chance they would have won (if they had played like they did against Elder, it would have been over early, like the Elder game was, even though CC was better than Elder).

Knowing that their worst game still came relatively close to winning a state championship is helpful, if you are trying to determine how good DLS was last year.

And knowing they lost the game, no matter how, is important, too, obviously.

None of this is a cop-out. It's just information. And it doesn't change the score.

the 4 preemptive posts by me referencing SLC Dad wa to see how ridiculous his arguments and logic is

NOTE a 2006 DLS WIN OVER CANYON DOES NOT VALIDATE ANYTHING DLS DID IN 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 or 2003

that is fool's logic

LIKEWISE, a LOSS by DLS in 2006 to Canyon DOES NOT INVALIDATE anything DLS accomplished 1992-2003

to argue otherwise, as daditis does, si again foolish

as for the Canyon game, DLS missed extra points, had field goal attempts blocked, could not convert on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 on the Canyon 5 yard line with the score 20-13 (99 times out of 100 they convert the TD), had a tipped pass result in the 1st Canyon TD, had a near sack (great play by the Canyon QB) result in the second TD... this is not the DLS I am used to or even as good as the one that played all year, they laid an egg

the point of my original post was to show how ridiculous SLC Daditis' bashing of DLS is

and notice he did not address the watered down 2 tiered playoffs that allow 3-7 and 5-5 teams in the so-called awesome (what oa joke) Texas playoffs

Let's not focus on history but the present. How is DLS going to be in 2007? More importantly how many of there games do you expect to see live this year?

I have to admit, I know I am missing at least two Texas High games - Tyler John Tyler and Waxahachie.

I heard he is the only football player to ever win a national championship on the High School, College and Pro(NFL) level. Can anyone verify or disprove this?

He is not the only player to do this.

Just looking at the Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New England rosters (past three superbowl champions), there are about 8 players that were on national championship college teams. As best as I can tell, Cedric Wilson (Pittsburgh) won a title in the NFL, College (Tennessee) and High School (Melrose HS in Memphis).

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/51479/

I'm relatively certain that there are others but it does appear to be a somewhat rare accomplishment.

By the way, Tyler Everett (McKinley) almost did it last year as he was on the Chicago roster.

He is not the only player to do this.

Just looking at the Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New England rosters (past three superbowl champions), there are about 8 players that were on national championship college teams. As best as I can tell, Cedric Wilson (Pittsburgh) won a title in the NFL, College (Tennessee) and High School (Melrose HS in Memphis).

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/51479/

I'm relatively certain that there are others but it does appear to be a somewhat rare accomplishment.

By the way, Tyler Everett (McKinley) almost did it last year as he was on the Chicago roster.

and what year are you saying his high school won a national championship?

and forgive me but I do not think Tenessee even won the SE conference, let alone the national championship

please document the years

They won their state championship in 1996 - so I guess they have as much of a right to lay claim to being national champions as anyone.

and forgive me but I do not think Tenessee even won the SE conference, let alone the national championship

Tennessee 1938, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1967, 1998

My bad, I thought the question was asking about a state high school championship...national championship is a bit different. ;)

Anyhow, according the ncaasports.com website, Tennessee won a national championship in 1998 as well as 1951...

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history