Midwest Athletic Conference 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it will make scheduling easier. So now you get games like Marion Local vs Wapak because Wapak doesn't have to be as worried about getting enough playoff points to make the top 8. More often than not, they're gonna have enough to make the top 16. Now that it's top 16, there's absolutely no reason why a WBL school shouldn't be playing a MAC school in Week 1. We're going to get better non-conference matchups because of it, thus enhancing the regular season.
In theory, that is correct.

However, most folks, myself included, believe the top 12 would also have accomplished the same mission.

It will be interesting moving forward though how this plays out schedule-wise.
The age old argument is that small schools state that big ones wont play them because of points.
The big schools say the same thing.

We shall see just how true that is or if both just use that excuse in scheduling but in reality the smaller one doesnt want to run the risk of getting beat up, and the bigger school doesnt want the embarrassment of losing to a school 2-3 divisions smaller.

If I had to guess, I would say it is 50-50 on the TRUE reasoning why some of those matchups dont happen.

In theory, that is correct.

However, most folks, myself included, believe the top 12 would also have accomplished the same mission.

It will be interesting moving forward though how this plays out schedule-wise.
The age old argument is that small schools state that big ones wont play them because of points.
The big schools say the same thing.

We shall see just how true that is or if both just use that excuse in scheduling but in reality the smaller one doesnt want to run the risk of getting beat up, and the bigger school doesnt want the embarrassment of losing to a school 2-3 divisions smaller.

If I had to guess, I would say it is 50-50 on the TRUE reasoning why some of those matchups dont happen.
12 would have accomplished it a little easier, but 16 gives you no reason to say no. I don't agree with 16 teams making the playoffs, but I can't pretend there aren't some positives to it.

But it will make scheduling easier. So now you get games like Marion Local vs Wapak because Wapak doesn't have to be as worried about getting enough playoff points to make the top 8. More often than not, they're gonna have enough to make the top 16. Now that it's top 16, there's absolutely no reason why a WBL school shouldn't be playing a MAC school in Week 1. We're going to get better non-conference matchups because of it, thus enhancing the regular season.
This is the only positive I see with expanding to 16, but it you will only see it happen with the above-average small school programs taking on larger schools, or hopefully some good matchups between teams that normally wouldn't see each other until the state semi-finals (I hope to see Grove take on some MAC competition in the future, some MAC and NWOAL games would also be fun to watch). Unfortunately though, I think you will only see that mindset come from the top 10-20% of teams. The bottom 80% won't take it as an opportunity for a tougher regular season, but just an easier way to get to the post season.

12 would have accomplished it a little easier, but 16 gives you no reason to say no. I don't agree with 16 teams making the playoffs, but I can't pretend there aren't some positives to it.
Concur.
I just wish they didnt go through with this knee jerk decision of 16.
I was really starting to vibe that 12 team setup and if we were ever lucky enough to have a bye to attend some extra games in week 11.

I know some say teams hated the bye but I have a different take on it.

My school has a modest playoff streak and never in doubt come week 10. I always preferred one of those easier league games in week 10 in hopes many of the starters would get extra rest going into the playoffs.

On the flipside, some could say they prefer a tough game to get you into the playoff mentality but in looking at it from both sides, I prefer to have an easier week 10 game because come week 11 and beyond it can be a game of attrition. Whom is the most fresh and healthiest.

Guess we can continue to cry over spilled milk but i Just wish they would have given 12 a shot.

To be fair, this is already happening. Celina and Kenton have had their annual games with Versailles/Coldwater. Elida was in the midst of a home-and-home with Delphos St. John's in 2019 & 2020 seasons (and has played them in the past). Shawnee in the not-so-distant past did a 6 game series with Marion Local (going 1-5 vs. the Flyers). Wapak already had this series scheduled with Marion Local before the playoffs expanded to 16 (and they scrimmage Minster and Coldwater). Wapak and St Marys Memorial were both dropped by their long time week 1 out of league opponents (Bellefontaine/Sidney), so once the St Marys-London series is over I could see the Roughriders playing a MAC team. In general, WBL teams and MAC teams are already (and have been) playing. The Lima area WBL schools have a ton of choices sometimes playing Delphos Jefferson, Allen East, LCC, etc. And it doesn't really make sense for Defiance/Van Wert to come all the way down when they each have their own week one rivalries (as well as smaller non-MAC schools in their local communities).

2015-2019, the last 5 'normal' seasons this is the breakdown of the #16 seed's record,

There would have been 60 16 vs 1 games in the last 5 seasons in DV-D7. These are the records of those 60 #16 teams and some additional details.

6-4: 4 teams. 16 Leetonia vs Cuy Heights. CH lost in round 3.
-----------------16 Mad plains vs Taft. Taft lost in round 2. Could this have been an 16 vs 1 upset??????
-----------------16 Smithville vs Rootstown. Roots lost in round 3.
-----------------16 Ironton vs Wheelersburg. Burg lost in round 3.

5-5: 13 teams.

4-6: 25 teams. Of note (2019) #16 Ft Recovery vs LCC. LCC Lost in the first round of the playoffs. Could the Fort upset LCC that season?

4-5: 1 team.

3-7: 15 teams.

3-6: 1 team.

2-8: 1 team.

In closing:
Of the 60 #16 seeds, 43 were below .500.

What say you?
My point. 16 aint gonna compare to #1 every single year, but the US did beat the Soviets in 1980, and that was badazz

To be fair, this is already happening. Celina and Kenton have had their annual games with Versailles/Coldwater. Elida was in the midst of a home-and-home with Delphos St. John's in 2019 & 2020 seasons (and has played them in the past). Shawnee in the not-so-distant past did a 6 game series with Marion Local (going 1-5 vs. the Flyers). Wapak already had this series scheduled with Marion Local before the playoffs expanded to 16 (and they scrimmage Minster and Coldwater). Wapak and St Marys Memorial were both dropped by their long time week 1 out of league opponents (Bellefontaine/Sidney), so once the St Marys-London series is over I could see the Roughriders playing a MAC team. In general, WBL teams and MAC teams are already (and have been) playing. The Lima area WBL schools have a ton of choices sometimes playing Delphos Jefferson, Allen East, LCC, etc. And it doesn't really make sense for Defiance/Van Wert to come all the way down when they each have their own week one rivalries (as well as smaller non-MAC schools in their local communities).
To be fair, I was trying to say Celina doesn't have a reason to duck Coldwater now, without saying Celina doesn't have a reason to duck Coldwater now. :LOL:

To be fair, I was trying to say Celina doesn't have a reason to duck Coldwater now, without saying Celina doesn't have a reason to duck Coldwater now. :LOL:
Celina is playing Versailles and from what I heard wanted to play Marion Local before they started their series with Versailles but the Flyers had already signed up to play Shawnee 10 or 12 years ago. I don't think Celina is ducking Coldwater at all other than maybe not wanting it to turn into a " bad blood " rivalry game similar to their contest with St. Marys which at times gets a little testy between the fans.

I can see a 16 vs 1 seed upset. You look a couple years ago at Hamilton New Miami when they were #1 and New Bremen was #8. Bremen won. There could be a year where a team with a tough schedule had a few bad games but not necessarily a bad team gets the 16 spot while Joe Blow down south is stomping on ants for 10 weeks and gets the #1.

What I dont like about the 16 team playoff is that it makes reg season games less important. And some teams that arent deserving to make the playoffs will
I thought of that 2019 in region 28 as well, the 16 seed would have been St Bernard-Elmwood Place who lost to New Miami 27-18 during regular season. Seems like that 1-16 would have been an interesting matchup. In the same year in region 22 Ft. Recovery was 16 seed and would have faced LCC I think would also have been an interesting matchup.

Screenshot_20210509-094456_DuckDuckGo.jpg

West Milton has it's own Redskin as well. Love seeing the small twin kids make it to the big time. Hoelscher was a great player. One of the best I've ever seen play line.

I watched the Jr. High MAC track meet last night and observed the rich just getting richer. ML boys had some studs running!
Coldwater and Minster too.
Versailles had some impressive 7th graders.

I watched the Jr. High MAC track meet last night and observed the rich just getting richer. ML boys had some studs running!
Coldwater and Minster too.
Versailles had some impressive 7th graders.
Known many great athletes over the years in the MAC who ran JH pretty much as 'training' for their other sports come HS.

Of putting in 'extra work' on their own.
Was in Minster recently.
Before and after the game I saw no less than 4 girls, all running individually so it wasnt a group. That in a nutshell is why Minster is always heads and shoulders above in girls sports, putting in the extra work outside of structured team practices.

Former Cavalier, Noah Miller, was named the Most Outsstanding offense Frosh at Ohio Northern this spring.

Anyone know if he is still going to play baseball?
I was told last fall when they announced a spring season that he was going to play baseball this spring as he went there to play both.

Just curious.

Former Cavalier, Noah Miller, was named the Most Outsstanding offense Frosh at Ohio Northern this spring.

Anyone know if he is still going to play baseball?
I was told last fall when they announced a spring season that he was going to play baseball this spring as he went there to play both.

Just curious.
I dont think they were planning on playing both sports in the same season. I assume when schedules get back to their normal times he'll play both.

I dont think they were planning on playing both sports in the same season. I assume when schedules get back to their normal times he'll play both.
I meant spring he was playing baseball, fall is football and that since it was spring it was going to be basebal.
But that was intel i had last fall/winter

Did something happen with commissioner Kemper? I used to follow him on Twitter and he'd tweet quite often but it appears he's no longer on there.

Just curious if something happened.

Did something happen with commissioner Kemper? I used to follow him on Twitter and he'd tweet quite often but it appears he's no longer on there.

Just curious if something happened.
I think his account is now more personal use and the Midwest Athletic Conference page I think he also runs.

MAC fans.... See
1991 St Henry with Bobby and the boys vs Quincy Cloud and Van Wert on TV44 Right now.

SH wins their back to back title that year but this is their only loss.

Fun one to watch.

Last edited:
In reference to the 16 team playoff, I'm of the opinion the teams that benefit the most will be MAC schools and private schools in general. I say that simply because those are the most likely teams to now make the playoffs in that 8-16 range, that I also see having regular success. By regular success, I mean being able to win a game or two. I think we started to see that during last season's "COVID Playoff System". Several MAC teams that would've missed the playoffs won a playoff game or two. We also saw Lake Catholic make the DIV state championship game in what probably wouldn't have been a playoff team in the 8 team format.

Champions Field breaks ground for synthetic turf​

Nancy Spencer, DHI Media Editor

Tuesday, May 25, 2021 10:27 PM

Ground was broken Monday for the installation of the new synthetic turf field at Stadium Park. Students from Jefferson and St. John’s, members of Champions Field Inc. and Hellas celebrated start of the project. (DHI Media/Joe Dray)

Ground was broken Monday for the installation of the new synthetic turf field at Stadium Park. Students from Jefferson and St. John’s, members of Champions Field Inc. and Hellas celebrated start of the project. (DHI Media/Joe Dray)

DELPHOS — The synthetic turf project is underway at the football stadium.
Members of Champions Field Inc., Jefferson and St. John’s schools and Hellas Construction kicked off the project Monday morning at Stadium Park.
“We are excited to get this project going and are looking forward to opening on the new field the weekend of Aug. 13 and 14 with our home soccer and football teams playing and the whole community coming together,” Todd Schulte of Champions Field said.
Hellas will build the turf system with Matrix Turf and Cushdrain system. Eco Nailer was chosen for nailer board used in the turf installation process.
Matrix Helix Turf has shape memory technology that bounces back more quickly from use and the Cushdrain underlay improves drainage of the field, minimizing downtime caused by heavy rains and remains resistant to rot, mildew, water freeze-thaw and compression set associated with athletic field use. Cushdrain also increases the longevity of the field, provides less recovery time, saves on wear and tear on the knees of athletes and helps reduce the likelihood of a concussion.
Schulte has heard concerns about the funding for the project for now and in the future. The project is estimated to cost nearly $953,000. Champions Field had raised nearly all that cost by early 2021.
“This turf project by no means is asking for any money from our taxpayers in the city of Delphos or either of the schools for that matter. All the money has come from private donations from businesses, individuals and corporations that think it’s a great idea to move forward with the project,” Schulte said. “We will continue to fundraise and will have the replacement cost covered well before it’ll be needed.”
Schulte said the new field will actually save the city money.
“There will be no more upkeep of the field for the city, Schulte said. “It’ll need swept once a week and maybe some debris blown off of it and we’ll have someone take care of that,” he added. “High schools are putting in synthetic fields and seeing a savings of almost $20,000 a year on maintenance costs.”
Schulte also addressed injuries on a synthetic field versus a natural grass field.
“With all the research and latest technology, the rate of injury is no higher than playing on a grass field,” he said. “”Actually, through Hellas with the pad we’re using underneath it will play closer to a grass field than some of the other fields in the area.”
City council is in the middle of readings of legislation approving the leasing of the football to Champions Field for 20 years.
Champions Field also includes Jefferson High School physical education instructor and Athletic Director Kent Smelser, St. John’s High School Principal Adam Lee and Jefferson football coach Ben Rahrig.

Members of Champions Field Inc., Jefferson and St. John’s schools and Hellas Construction kicked off the project Monday morning at Stadium Park.
“We are excited to get this project going and are looking forward to opening on the new field the weekend of Aug. 13 and 14 with our home soccer and football teams playing and the whole community coming together,” Todd Schulte of Champions Field said.
Hellas will build the turf system with Matrix Turf and Cushdrain system. Eco Nailer was chosen for nailer board used in the turf installation process.
Matrix Helix Turf has shape memory technology that bounces back more quickly from use and the Cushdrain underlay improves drainage of the field, minimizing downtime caused by heavy rains and remains resistant to rot, mildew, water freeze-thaw and compression set associated with athletic field use. Cushdrain also increases the longevity of the field, provides less recovery time, saves on wear and tear on the knees of athletes and helps reduce the likelihood of a concussion.
Schulte has heard concerns about the funding for the project for now and in the future. The project is estimated to cost nearly $953,000. Champions Field had raised nearly all that cost by early 2021.
“This turf project by no means is asking for any money from our taxpayers in the city of Delphos or either of the schools for that matter. All the money has come from private donations from businesses, individuals and corporations that think it’s a great idea to move forward with the project,” Schulte said. “We will continue to fundraise and will have the replacement cost covered well before it’ll be needed.”
“There will be no more upkeep of the field for the city, Schulte said. “It’ll need swept once a week and maybe some debris blown off of it and we’ll have someone take care of that,” he added. “High schools are putting in synthetic fields and seeing a savings of almost $20,000 a year on maintenance costs.”
Schulte also addressed injuries on a synthetic field versus a natural grass field.
“With all the research and latest technology, the rate of injury is no higher than playing on a grass field,” he said. “”Actually, through Hellas with the pad we’re using underneath it will play closer to a grass field than some of the other fields in the area.”
City council is in the middle of readings of legislation approving the leasing of the football to Champions Field for 20 years.
Champions Field also includes Jefferson High School physical education instructor and Athletic Director Kent Smelser, St. John’s High School Principal Adam Lee and Jefferson football coach Ben Rahrig.
I wonder how this field will hold up compared to the other area fields being done by Maumee bay turf. I was curious why they were going with a company out of Texas vs. one in Toledo, maybe they guarantee longer life or cheaper replacement costs?

Last edited:

congrats to Delphos.... it's a bunch of hard work raising money for a Athletic project... the people should be commended!!!!! I think Minster plays there the 4th week of the season.......brand new field.... and Wings at the Rustic.... what a great day!!:)

I wonder how this field will hold up compared to the other area fields being done by Maumee bay turf. I was curious why they were going with a company out of Texas vs. one in Toledo, maybe they guarantee longer life or cheaper replacement costs?
Believe Maumee Bay told them they wouldn't be able to get it done in time for the season.

Replacement costs truly are a concern and each place needs to have a plan in place.
Many tout how turf is so cost effective and 'saves' money over grass but in reality, as we discussed, that necessarily is not the case.
As long as Delphos has a plan in place for maintenance and replacement it should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.