Mid-State League 2022

Big shoutout to Berne Union’s chain gang — 23 years of service! That’s fantastic, man. I’m sure many of those dudes stopped having kids in the program for a minute, yet they kept on chugging on as selfless servants to the community cause. Props to BU for recognizing them at halftime and honoring them into the BU Hall of Fame.

A special shoutout, also, to Berne for recognizing Dr. Christian Tencza — a fantastic person who does great work. A true statesman who has been on both sides of the rivalry.

Oh, but you’re going to hate going to ODU on a Friday night even more!
Now that you mention it, I've never been to ODU. We'll see what the Fan-O-Meter says.

Only time we played Watty at their home was at Hagley Field at the old Cols North high school. That was week 1 playoff in 2002. Mrs. Z and I redcoated at the OSU game earlier in the day, then bundled our boys up for the drive to Clintonville. Watterson smoked us, toasted us, then burnt us. I believe they were seed 4 and us 5. We had lost to Fairfield Union the week before 7-6 in a torrential mudfest. If we'd beaten the Charging Knights, I think we would've locked up home-field advantage for the first playoff game, probably against someone else. At least the Bucks had a great year. :cool:

Now that you mention it, I've never been to ODU. We'll see what the Fan-O-Meter says.

Only time we played Watty at their home was at Hagley Field at the old Cols North high school. That was week 1 playoff in 2002. Mrs. Z and I redcoated at the OSU game earlier in the day, then bundled our boys up for the drive to Clintonville. Watterson smoked us, toasted us, then burnt us. I believe they were seed 4 and us 5. We had lost to Fairfield Union the week before 7-6 in a torrential mudfest. If we'd beaten the Charging Knights, I think we would've locked up home-field advantage for the first playoff game, probably against someone else. At least the Bucks had a great year. :cool:
The heyday of FU”CK” football. They gave the Aces some problems back then, too.

I don’t even know how one gets to ODU right now. Sunbury RD has closures.

I don’t even know how one gets to ODU right now. Sunbury RD has closures.
Thanks for the heads-up! Found this traffic advisory from ODU's website:

"Sunbury Road is currently closed to traffic in both directions at Woodward Avenue (for bridge repair), and is expected to last until mid-November 2022. Those who access campus from the south will need to take the following detour to and from campus:

From Leonard Avenue / Airport Drive to campus:

1. Take Leonard Road to Brentnell Avenue
  2. North on Brentnell Avenue to Holt Avenue
  3. East on Holt Avenue to Sunbury Road
  4. South on Sunbury Road to ODU
From campus to Leonard Avenue / Airport Drive:
  1. Take Sunbury Road north to Holt Avenue
  2. West on Holt Avenue to Brentnell Avenue
  3. South on Brentnell Avenue to Leonard Road
  4. East on Leonard Avenue to Sunbury Road / Airport Drive
If you access campus from the north via Sunbury Road, you will not be impacted."

Saw a video of a Buckeye Valley o-lineman throwing punches into the gut of an opponent. While I can’t verify the other claim made in the video’s post, that video doesn’t paint a good picture.

Saw a video of a Buckeye Valley o-lineman throwing punches into the gut of an opponent. While I can’t verify the other claim made in the video’s post, that video doesn’t paint a good picture.
I have not seen the video, so I do not know the other claim. However, I have been told by one player that a Buckeye Valley player said a racial slur to him.

I have not seen the video, so I do not know the other claim. However, I have been told by one player that a Buckeye Valley player said a racial slur to him.
Man, that’s terrible! Hope the BV admin stands behind their AD in the fact-finding process when it comes to punishing those responsible.

The video shows an HP kid being engaged high by two BV linemen, with the one Baron jabbing below the chestplate of the Warrior’s shoulder pads. Not exactly a good display of character.

…so, uh… from the looks of it, Buckeye Valley has been radio silent (at least publicly) on the situation.

Individually, the action on tape is distasteful and unacceptable. The (alleged) slur is also deeply distasteful and unacceptable. Put together, it’s a deeply disturbing situation to say the least. It’s not weird; just frankly unacceptable.

What is weird is, at least from the looks of it, BV isn’t saying jack about it. There’s not a whole lot being asked of them, here, but simply acknowledging the wrong would be at least something. It might not be reparative, it might not be enough to let the wound heal. But they’re not saying anything about it, so, it’s like, WHAT???

The ‘hell is so hard about acknowledging (at minimum) what we know (for sure) happened? The tape clearly shows the kid throwing cheap-shots in the most cowardly way imaginable. Like it’s pretty high-quality video that captured it.

…so, uh… from the looks of it, Buckeye Valley has been radio silent (at least publicly) on the situation.

Individually, the action on tape is distasteful and unacceptable. The (alleged) slur is also deeply distasteful and unacceptable. Put together, it’s a deeply disturbing situation to say the least. It’s not weird; just frankly unacceptable.

What is weird is, at least from the looks of it, BV isn’t saying jack about it. There’s not a whole lot being asked of them, here, but simply acknowledging the wrong would be at least something. It might not be reparative, it might not be enough to let the wound heal. But they’re not saying anything about it, so, it’s like, WHAT???

The ‘hell is so hard about acknowledging (at minimum) what we know (for sure) happened? The tape clearly shows the kid throwing cheap-shots in the most cowardly way imaginable. Like it’s pretty high-quality video that captured it.
I guess what’s hard to wrap my head around, here, is: does BV just think it goes away? That leaving the MSL, to them, means they don’t have to face a meaningful consequence or take any ownership to what happened?

I guess what’s hard to wrap my head around, here, is: does BV just think it goes away? That leaving the MSL, to them, means they don’t have to face a meaningful consequence or take any ownership to what happened?
Are they in the playoffs? If so, the Buckeye Valley player should at least be benched, probably suspended, for making a cheap shot, as there is no excuse for that in a game. I understand emotions were high because it was a game for the MSL title, but you must keep your head leveled.

Are they in the playoffs? If so, the Buckeye Valley player should at least be benched, probably suspended, for making a cheap shot, as there is no excuse for that in a game. I understand emotions were high because it was a game for the MSL title, but you must keep your head leveled.
They are.

I have seen that video as well and I do find the situation pretty ironic. Had it been reversed, there would've been a 20 page thread on here about Harvest Prep. It was absolutely egregious and I'd encourage the parent of that kid to expend all options available to them including filing charges. There's nothing you can say that justifies or downplays what the video shows. Nothing.

I have seen that video as well and I do find the situation pretty ironic. Had it been reversed, there would've been a 20 page thread on here about Harvest Prep. It was absolutely egregious and I'd encourage the parent of that kid to expend all options available to them including filing charges. There's nothing you can say that justifies or downplays what the video shows. Nothing.
Great point, sadly you are correct...people would be going crazy.

Thats my son getting punched in the video. It’s hard telling these young men that these things unfortunately are gonna happen just be ready and don’t react or you will be the one penalized in most cases. I understand the refs are looking at a lot on a play by play basis but two officials right in the general area missing it just is mind boggling to me because they don’t seem to miss a beat when we are in the wrong. At any rate all I want is for BV to respond and take some sort of action because my son can take the name calling but 5 punchs being thrown at him and nothing being done about isn’t gonna sit well with me. Like someone said if it were one of our guys then WE WOULD NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT smh we would be thugs and need to be banned from playing and blah blah blah. But nothing being said or done is really offensive and the silence is so loud……

https://fb.watch/gqsVyaPmv2/

Thats my son getting punched in the video. It’s hard telling these young men that these things unfortunately are gonna happen just be ready and don’t react or you will be the one penalized in most cases. I understand the refs are looking at a lot on a play by play basis but two officials right in the general area missing it just is mind boggling to me because they don’t seem to miss a beat when we are in the wrong. At any rate all I want is for BV to respond and take some sort of action because my son can take the name calling but 5 punchs being thrown at him and nothing being done about isn’t gonna sit well with me. Like someone said if it were one of our guys then WE WOULD NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT smh we would be thugs and need to be banned from playing and blah blah blah. But nothing being said or done is really offensive and the silence is so loud……

https://fb.watch/gqsVyaPmv2/
Unreal -- you could really hurt somebody (crack a rib) here. I hope something is done!

Last edited:
Trying to find final standings for the league. Can anyone help?
Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll 7-0
Logan Elm 6-1
Hamilton Township 5-2
Teays Valley 4-3
Fairfield Union 3-4
Circleville 2-5
Liberty Union 1-6
Amanda-Clearcreek 0-7

Cardinal
Worthington Christian 6-0
Berne Union 5-1