Mid-State League 2022

It would be big to see either of Circleville or Logan Elm finish in the top half of the Buckeye this fall. Neither seems all that likely, except possibly LE? Stranger events have happened (like FU’s upset over Amanda last year.)

BC — curious what offense they’re running. They’ll still be a well-oiled machine; seamless transition post-Wade.

Teays going to open up the offense this year? Feel like we’re due to see HT get back into the conference title discussion. Those Rangers have started slower than the freight traffic on London-Groveport Rd in recent years.

Curious if LU can keep up the momentum that they closed last season on. FU, similar boat. Kind of nice Falconland got to end their season the way they did, instead of finishing two slots higher in the computers only to get blasted by BC in week 11.

KIPP “we’re a D6 school” Columbus = D4 all along

B0CA779B-571B-48D2-8331-B3615BDF0261.gif

Those Rangers have started slower than the freight traffic on London-Groveport Rd in recent years.
Excellent! Plus, construction on the new Google Data Center (code name Cyprus) on Rathmell near US 23 will slow down visitors coming to HT from that direction. Just wait until Obetz starts developing the two corners of the Rathmell/Lockbourne Rd intersection adjacent to the high school. Auurrggh.

I'll tee off on the Cardinal in due time.

It has been confirmed that, yes, Fisher and Rosecrans are the two smallest schools in the state of Ohio sponsoring both varsity football and varsity boys' soccer in Ohio. Each school also sponsors a girls' soccer team, as well.

It has been confirmed that, yes, Fisher and Rosecrans are the two smallest schools in the state of Ohio sponsoring both varsity football and varsity boys' soccer in Ohio. Each school also sponsors a girls' soccer team, as well.
They must have a lot of players competing in both sports.

They must have a lot of players competing in both sports.
This year for FC it’s just the kicker and the punter. I think it’s the same deal with Rosecrans.

It’s rare for us to have any soccer players that play on either side of the ball. It’s not however rare for us to have a punter and a kicker cross over from the pitch.

Take a good guess as to what school the best kicker in the Cardinal, this year, attends!

It would be big to see either of Circleville or Logan Elm finish in the top half of the Buckeye this fall. Neither seems all that likely, except possibly LE? Stranger events have happened (like FU’s upset over Amanda last year.)

BC — curious what offense they’re running. They’ll still be a well-oiled machine; seamless transition post-Wade.

Teays going to open up the offense this year? Feel like we’re due to see HT get back into the conference title discussion. Those Rangers have started slower than the freight traffic on London-Groveport Rd in recent years.

Curious if LU can keep up the momentum that they closed last season on. FU, similar boat. Kind of nice Falconland got to end their season the way they did, instead of finishing two slots higher in the computers only to get blasted by BC in week 11.
Bloom-Carroll is the clear favorite until someone else proves otherwise. I expect the Puppies to have another solid season, as you do.

Teays Valley lost its starting quarterback to graduation and its top running back from last year - Camden McDanel - is not playing this year to focus on wrestling - he's a two-time state runner-up. Teays Valley has a very good freshman class entering the school building and I expect a few of those kids to see the field this fall in Ashville. TV has a fair portion of its line back.

Hamilton Township is always the wild card. Always one of the more athletic teams in the league. If they can put it together in the trenches, they can be right there.

Amanda was a senior-laden team last year and has to replace most of its production. Good freshman class coming in, but this could be a retooling season along the 'Creek.

Liberty Union lost its big 6-6 wideout to graduation. Can they carry over their finish from a season ago?

Would be nice to see Circleville, Logan Elm and Fairfield Union push higher in the league standings. Logan Elm had one of TV's backup running backs move in that could give them a good 1-2 punch with Blayton Reid.

Last edited:

Fisher still picking up leftover athletes from Lancaster? ? Interesting to see where Berne lands in the playoffs as a D6 school.

3F2F343C-CA71-4DB6-BB82-ACFC29C5288A.png

what exactly is the point in worrying about playoffs when you inherit a team that gave up 60+ four times last year?

View attachment 31072
what exactly is the point in worrying about playoffs when you inherit a team that gave up 60+ four times last year?
having goals is a good thing. But, to use a popular song lyric: “there’s levels to this.”

program’s been in the cellar for so long of a league that hasn’t won a Round of 32 playoff game since the Bush presidency. like c’mon man the Eagles gotta be beatin FC and ‘Crans on a consistent basis before this D6 playoff squawkin’.

Cardinal

1 - Worthington Christian: they bring back almost everybody from last year. QB is real good. I don't think they'll be touched this year.

t2. - Rosecrans: they made a big leap between 2020 to 2021 in terms of competitiveness. They graduate the dawg they had at RB, but they bring back some solid pieces on the outside and I believe their entire line.

t2. - FCA: they'll beat FC/GCC/ML. Zi Pardon is a pretty special athlete that can make plays happen, and I think FCA is coming into this year with a ton of momentum over the previous year.

t2. - BU: it's rare, and almost unheard of, the idea that a two-time defending league champ -- still led by the best QB talent the league has seen in almost a decade -- could be projected to finish second at best and plausibly fourth. Especially in the same rung of two teams they've dispatched comfortably over the years. But... simple factor of who is returning for others versus who isn't coming back.

5. FC - ah, damnit. I don't really want to put FC at fifth... I'd rather have them higher. They've got a stable of athletes in the JR, Soph and Frosh classes. They just don't have a line; eek. "In Grant, we trust."

6. GCC - might be good for a league win

7. Miller -- yeah...

After reading the other MSL thread, I've become depressed about this season, lol.

My beloved Rangers open the season on the road at Independence (Columbus). Our first meeting to my knowledge, unless we played them in late 70's. The 76ers have come to HT for track invitationals for many years, they always bring an exciting and competitive squad. Hoping for a great game and new rivalry.

Week 2 is our first home game against Heath. And away we go!

After reading the other MSL thread, I've become depressed about this season, lol.

My beloved Rangers open the season on the road at Independence (Columbus). Our first meeting to my knowledge, unless we played them in late 70's. The 76ers have come to HT for track invitationals for many years, they always bring an exciting and competitive squad. Hoping for a great game and new rivalry.

Week 2 is our first home game against Heath. And away we go!
I believe you’re reading the schedule wrong, Z. Week 1 for Hamilton Twp should be at Franklin Heights; week 2 @ Independence and week 3 is the home opener vs Heath.

As an aside…

@ Franklin Heights
@ Independence

I can’t think of a crummier combination of places to start out the season at. Hot Friday night getting to and from Independence? Sheesh.

Last edited:
I believe you’re reading the schedule wrong, Z. Week 1 for Hamilton Twp should be at Franklin Heights; week 2 @ Independence and week 3 is the home opener vs Heath.

As an aside…

@ Franklin Heights
@ Independence

I can’t think of a crummier combination of places to start out the season at. Hot Friday night getting to and from Independence? Sheesh.
D’oh! Thanks, I sure did look at the calendar wrong. ?

Eh, piece of cake for us. :) FH will be a waltz down memory lane from our old Metro League days. And I briefly lived a few streets from Indy when I bought my first house many moons ago, it was a very easy 20-25 mins to drive from my parents' house, even on a football night. Certainly better than fighting Friday rush-hour traffic on 33 going to Amanda!

Last edited:
I think the Buckeye will be closer than people think. BC is the favorite but it would not surprise me if TV, Amanda, HT win the division. BC did lose a lot to graduation from there previous two playoff teams as well as lose their coach to Olentangy.

The Ohio Division will be a battle between Harvest, Whitehall, Buckeye Valley, and Academy.

The Cardinal will be Worthington Christian as the favorite with Berne Union right behind. FCA and Rosecrans could be contenders if they can stay healthy. FC will be young and be about a year or two away. I am surprised that GCC hasn't been more competitive in league than they have been.

I think there could be some interesting battles this year.

I think the Buckeye will be closer than people think. BC is the favorite but it would not surprise me if TV, Amanda, HT win the division. BC did lose a lot to graduation from there previous two playoff teams as well as lose their coach to Olentangy.

The Ohio Division will be a battle between Harvest, Whitehall, Buckeye Valley, and Academy.
I agree with all of this, except I don’t see Buckeye Valley challenging much in the Ohio.
The Cardinal will be Worthington Christian as the favorite with Berne Union right behind. FCA and Rosecrans could be contenders if they can stay healthy.
Agree.
FC will be young and be about a year or two away.
They’ll be pretty solid in 2023 and 2024. The youth issue is with the line — only one letterman returns from last year. They have solid talent in the skill positions in the ‘24, 25 and 26 classes. The 2026 class (next year’s class) will make an immediate impact from the beginning. In the ‘23 class it’s primarily Dolci on the outside (just a small class.) In ‘24 class both Messerly and Wright have a ton of promise and will have solid senior seasons next year in 2023.
I am surprised that GCC hasn't been more competitive in league than they have been.
Their problem for the longest time has been a lack of toughness (which causes them to get beat up by FC and Rosecrans) and a lack of player development across the board (which causes them to lose to FCA, a team that runs an offense utilizing the open field.) WC and BU always have had enough toughness, player development and fundamentals to be decisive favorites vs GCC from the beginning… but against way smaller rosters in the other three schools it’s those crucial deficiencies that have hurt them defensively.

I spent some time on the hoops board for this league because of my friendship with GCC's hoops coach. I have been with him on the course this summer often. Apparently, their new staff is chalk full of experienced vets from the OCC. They have 40+ players as of last week (the last time I saw him). According to Chris, this will be the "great turnaround." He keeps telling me 7-3, 6-4 "worst case." A bunch of new players, a huge line and supposedly some serious speed at skill positions. Obviously, I have not seen them. Timlin's freshman son may start or play quite a bit, so I may get out to see them play. He is really, really buying into the new staff that was hired. It's my understanding that the coaching experience is incredible all over the field. Good luck to everyone in the fall! Enjoy your Friday and Saturday nights!

I spent some time on the hoops board for this league because of my friendship with GCC's hoops coach. I have been with him on the course this summer often. Apparently, their new staff is chalk full of experienced vets from the OCC. They have 40+ players as of last week (the last time I saw him). According to Chris, this will be the "great turnaround." He keeps telling me 7-3, 6-4 "worst case." A bunch of new players, a huge line and supposedly some serious speed at skill positions. Obviously, I have not seen them. Timlin's freshman son may start or play quite a bit, so I may get out to see them play. He is really, really buying into the new staff that was hired. It's my understanding that the coaching experience is incredible all over the field. Good luck to everyone in the fall! Enjoy your Friday and Saturday nights!
Wholesome post; thanks, man!

I kinda want to check a GCC game out on my own volition, now, for the simple fact he’s going to be a football dad. He’ll bring some life to the stands! I love it! The man knows the Cardinal true and through across all sports. Although I wasn’t very bullish on GCC this year I will say his glowing recommendation and confidence has me sold that they’ll be a contender soon.

RE: OCC/GCC — former Jerome coach Mark Hundley is their DC this year.

Fisher still picking up leftover athletes from Lancaster? ? Interesting to see where Berne lands in the playoffs as a D6 school.
Nice comment. “Leftovers.” Maybe at a school with 1800 kids it’s easy to forget those are kids who are there for school. I have nothing against Lancaster but this line of crowing is toxic. And it comes from people who wouldn’t know the kids even existed if they didn’t play sports to begin with.

Do better!