Mid-State League 2021

MSL honors were picked and announced today.

Congratulations to the players on their honors (not posting the list because not every coach has told their teams); a special recognition from me, personally, to a couple players that I think got “snubbed” from First Team (Keener’s of FCA, Viau of FC.)

And a special recognition, in particular, to the recognized players who didn’t respond to the childish Twitter tantrum of a particular Cardinal coach that publicly accused his peers of voting on the basis of “politics” while also insinuating schools in the league put up ‘fixed’ stats. That coach should be censured by the MSL and the school he’s on the staff of. Embarassing.

Weaver owes each of those kids and their coaches a public apology. If he won’t then the Millersport AD should for him. What a mess. No one can enjoy a second of the return of baseball without him talking crap and causing drama.

Last edited:
We are, indeed, getting “The Game.”

#9 in the state Newark Catholic comes to #3 in the state Fisher Catholic for all the district marbles, Thursday.

Berne lost an absolute heart-breaker, last night. Up 4-3 in the top of the seventh, two outs (one out remaining), runners on 1st and 2nd for East Knox. EK 2nd-base runner steals 3rd, errant throw goes off 3B and that runner is tying run. Lost 7-5 in 9. Kid from East Knox, their #2 pitcher, pitched 9 inning complete game on 116 pitches. Was at 85 in the 6th, I believe.

This one could have played out a few ways. If Fisher wanted, they could have passed to let NC go on the board. That brings it back to them, FC goes away from NC and forces the hand of BU.
The other matchup you look at is the district final and who you play after. I am guessing FC and NC did not want any part of Toronto coming out of the East.

We are, indeed, getting “The Game.”

#9 in the state Newark Catholic comes to #3 in the state Fisher Catholic for all the district marbles, Thursday.

They did it, they did it, they did it, THEY DID IT!

9-5, FC. First District Title for the Irish since '05, first win for FC over NC since that same May day in '05. Fought through some adversity to get to this result, season-long and situational. Not to mention the fact they managed to not be haunted by the ghosts of Fisher baseball' past; if anything, they channeled the "Fifteen Years of Frustration" into the motivation that guided them all off-season, regular season, lead-up and gametime.

I'll have some more to write about "The Game", what all went down and acknowledgments once I can get a day (and some brevity) into me.

Congratulations to the players, their parents, the players' peers in the student body, the coaches (!) and the school. Awesome, all-around team effort out of the diamond 9*batting order and the little things the players in the dugout do to provide support between innings and when ball is played. Even with a mess-up or missed play on a routine, the kids stuck with "forget it, and drive on" and bounced back with timely, situational plays to keep damage low. Offensively, they just kept chopping wood and broke the Wave down eventually in the 6th inning. It was as if Fisher just kept getting progressively stronger at-bat after at-bat, especially then.

* Very special moment for FC, the program, the school, and the community. Not just "the district title." Not just "beating NC." Not just the extension of a fantastic season. To put all of those individual wins, on their own impressive, into a stronger and contextualized sum that encapsulates what the moment meant tonight, I'll call special attention to the symbolism of witnessing FC A.D. Jason Roush award the District Title medals to the FC team. In any other year, where hypothetically FC just beats NC in the next few District Finals in baseball, it would probably be a Central District representative (or site manager, e.g. at Beavers, Don Edwards or whatever neutral site) that hands out the medals and plaque (as it were years' past.) So, to win the District Title and beat the familiar foe that's had the program's number for so long, at home, and to get christened District champs by a man who has dedicated so much of his life to the school('s athletics)... it's, unbelievably special.

Man, those FC kids gave NC absolute hell. And lots of credit to NC's kids -- I know they've had a season riddled with losing a bunch of P.O.'s (although this happened very early in the season) -- they never backed down, constantly responding to monumental FC offensive gains with meticulous, timely attacks of their own alongside a crucial defensive hold (fifth inning) mixed-in. That whole FC player*team effort (literal terror at throughout the entire line-up, solid defense and pitching that crippled a superb NC bats-attack) with the enhanced effect of the fan support playing at home... the #1 seed's tide was higher.

Whew. Still feels nice. Everyone did their jobs, and everyone came up big. We like to see it, don't we folks?

Big ups to the soph's, Dolci and Viau. Knew Nick was talented and promising on the hill, he showed it in his solid relief performances against Amanda and Lancaster, and he proved he was the man for the job to close the curtains on NC in relieving Chase. Stage wasn't too big for him, and he helped his cause big time with the squeeze to get J.J. in. Speaking of Viau -- can't say enough on how proud I am of this kid, the year he's having and the game he played. Wish I could've told him in-person after the game. 3 runs scored, timely RBI knock and two of those runs he scored... gutsy as heck. Smart, but gutsy. Those are the type of runs that even seasoned seniors at any program would not rise to the moment on. But he did!

Junior tandem of Tencza and Springer -- Jack gives his classmate some early run-support with the 2-run bomb into the pine trees, Chase pitches exactly the game FC needed (even if it may have been below his own standards, kid's a dawg) for as long as we needed. Down 0-2 in the count, Chase's selectiveness at the plate pays off as he gets the tricky gapper to fall in on a 3-2 count to make it 8-4 FC. And I bet that at-bat, that shot, it meant everything for Chase. Good to see Frank in on a courtesy run, too.

Seniors -- Santino had quite a game behind the plate and leading off. Harp with the reliable stick, time and time again, and the game-winning out in RF. Burke with a nifty line-out at 3B, a line-drive double at the plate mid-game that contributed to the game-long "Nightmare on 37" for the NC pitching + defense. Krooner: magnificent two-way play out of him. Gets the supremely difficult catch at the fence, opens the door wide enough on an 0-2 count in the sixth with the blasted double in deep center (IT ALMOST WENT OUT, TOO!) setting up for Dolci, Springer and Harp to slam the door shut back-to-back-to-back in capping off the 5-run 6th inning that put it out of reach for NC. Harris -- broke my heart to see that he couldn't play, but what's he got as a player and talent is rivaled by who he is as a character and team player. Been through so much this year, so many solid memories on the year and I'm glad that his last game (as is the case with all the seniors) at Ben Thimmes Field was a win, and this win. Even though he couldn't play, as badly as it broke his heart, I'm glad he got to be a part of it all right there with his brothers. Gonna also make a special mention to the frosh Messerly -- very mature game he played out there in the field. Had a couple plays where it didn't go the way you'd want it to, but he put them behind him and got the next out that we needed toward the race to 21 outs defensively. So proud of the way this kid has played at the stage, getting thrusted into the fire of high-level varsity games and not backing down.

So proud of, and happy, for this entire coaching staff. It's a very humble, dedicated group that has poured so much heart, time, energy and thought into everything from the very beginning of the season. Very talented, very smart. They had them ready, and their coolness*resolve is a symptom of the preparation, trust and confidence they had in the team from the very beginning, first pitch, mid-game and throughout.

And I'm happy for the alumni, former coaches and supporters in attendance.

OK -- let's get back to business. There's still games to be won, guys! See you guys in Cincinnati!

What a year for Mid-State League Baseball. Fisher Catholic, Liberty Union and Bloom-Carroll still playing into Regionals. Columbus Academy, Millersport, Berne Union, Worthington Christian, Fairfield Christian and Amanda Clearcreek played into the Districts. Could have had as many as 5 into the regionals. All these kids have played with heart and great effort this year. Those who are done playing congrats on a well played year. As for those players who are returning, this season could be something to build upon for next year and who knows if we could see other MSL Schools like Grandview, Fairfield Union, Teays Valley or some else join the party next year.
For Fisher Catholic, Liberty Union and Bloom-Carroll, I want to wish them all the best in the regional next week. Take things one game at a time as everyone left can win from here on out. Have fun and success will continue to follow.

Just think about this for a second, Fairfield County still has 4 teams remaining going to the regionals and each are in a different Division. Lancaster in D1, Bloom-Carroll in D2, Liberty Union in D3 and Fisher Catholic in D4. Wouldn't it be great if all four teams could win a state title with all four residing in one county. I do not think that has ever happened in one season. It probably will not happen but it would be a great thing to think about.
June baseball is fantastic and Good Luck to all teams.

Those four are the class of the county. BC, FC and LU class of the MSL. Don’t like the schools but DO respect their programs and players.

Good luck this week. Even to the greens.

@gils 17 was wondering why I hadn’t seen you on the ‘gils’ username for so long. Was worried something happened — good to see you back. Congrats to NC softball on their trip to the final four.

@gils 17 was wondering why I hadn’t seen you on the ‘gils’ username for so long. Was worried something happened — good to see you back. Congrats to NC softball on their trip to the final four.
Thank you for all you've written here during the year as it has been BEYOND helpful for me to read to prepare to broadcast them (hopefully) later today!

Thank you for all you've written here during the year as it has been BEYOND helpful for me to read to prepare to broadcast them (hopefully) later today!
Western Ohio is a genuinely really cool experience to be playing against, I feel. I’ve seen some coverage out of the Sidney Daily News and Press Pros covering this regional. Which, is really neat and admittedly an atypical experience for teams in our area (not a fault so much of our media as it is the fact Western Ohio loves high school sports.)

Fun fact: a good amount of us know how to pronounce “Russia.” As in, Russia HS.

Guess we’ll find out in a little bit if the games are on for today? I guess Cincinnati has had some rain issues, which poses a problem because Princeton supposedly doesn’t have turf. That, and thunderstorms are in the forecast all-day? If Princeton doesn’t have lights, then I guess that issue on it’s own is kind of... who knows???

Regionals "Eve", TAKE TWO! Hate to see it for the kids that the games are pushed back a day, but I value the consideration put on by the Princeton AD and OHSAA for the integrity of the field as well as other weather concerns over the 48-hour pass of 12:01am Wednesday up until 12:01am Friday. Really difficult situation due to all of the rain, as well as the impending high-threat of thunderstorms set to cover the Cincinnati area that would've possibly made the games unfinishable/unplayable between the lightning/thunder rules and the fact Princeton supposedly does not have lights. Personal note: I do secretly enjoy the push-back a day as the "Dockmobile" had a rock fast-balled through my driver's window yesterday afternoon, courtesy of some LOSER on Clearcreek Road. Ain't no way I can drive down I-71 with Mr. Rain Cloud and his unfriendly brothers Nimbus and Cumulonimbus looking down at me, with that going on!

It's a really fun, interesting deal to read about the Regional previews aforementioned. 3 Western Ohio teams, and a team from the far-east fringe of the Columbus metropolitan. I genuinely appreciate the general interest and fandom the western Ohio communities have for their respective teams, as do I enjoy the spectacular media coverage on the event. The comments I've kind of gleaned on FC from a couple different sources speaking to the match-up with Russia (and the general Region 16 competition) show love but are also frenetic in their own regard. Not a complaint, nor a criticism. It speaks to the fact of the matter: FC has never played Russia nor Ft. Loramie in any sport, ever, and I believe FC has only played Cedarville in football a couple times in the '90s. The whole matter of Region 16 being 3 SW, 1 Central and not 3 SW and 1 NW (Coldwater District) does admittedly present some funkiness to the previews and lead-up, but hey -- what's not to love about the it!?!?! We have a season, after-all!

I know FC is kind of a big "unknown" to these three programs, more pointedly Russia (as they're the only team guaranteed to play FC, after all), other than the team is ranked #3 in the OHSBCA and PBR rankings. I've read some, uh, "interesting" comments on the schedule FC plays and how that squares against Russia's SCAL slate coupled with their non-league ("a decent diet of MAC schools" was one side of the written vis-a-vis comparison between the Raiders and Irish' schedules.) As someone who does have a really firm idea of the western stateside scene and what our area + league + non-league is, I could write a dissertation on where there is similarity and difference. My time is not well-served getting into the grains after an already hypothetical dive-deep into the weeds on it, though. Suffice to say: the schedules come out in the wash, in the end. They do. There's really good wins by all, and there's some wins where you just kinda *SHRUG* at it. Such is the case with any team playing at the regional stage: their wins, as measured by quality, fit a normal distribution. Some great, some average, some not-stellar. Who would have guessed?

What I'll say about FC: hey -- the only symbolism and importance of FC being ranked, where they are, to the kids and the program is the appreciation*recognition of all contributions put-together toward making a memorable season. Russia isn't ranked -- but they should be. Where, exactly, I can't say for certain (top 10 is definitely reasonable), but its kind of ludicrous a 25-5 team that's on an insane winning streak of their own isn't getting more attention. They're a really good team. Of course, the Raiders don't care and there isn't a reason for the program I support to care on that either. Lots of respect and recognition our way toward the prideful communities that line the I-75 corridor and the baseball played there. The lack of #number recognition by OHSBCA/PBR be darned -- when you're a team like Russia, that plays the way that they do with expert capitalization on their strengths where they need it most, YEAH -- that's a really good team that I know FC is getting into an absolute battle with. Whoever comes out (hopefully us), there's another boss in the way to Akron. No real clue as to "who", other than it's going to be a team with red on their uniforms.

Star players line the casts of all four teams at the regional stage, but its the supporting cast at their backs and flanks that engineered the path to Princeton. It, too, will be the case for whoever makes it out. This is unquestionably the most wide-open region of the four competitions in Division IV, and even against many of the other regionals in different size classifications.

Last thought I'll add: way more in common, than in difference, between FC and the other three schools in this competition.

Good luck to all; mindfulness and well-wishes to no injuries.

Last edited:
And now, I'll take the opportunity to write something close to the heart.

My guys at FC baseball - much love, and appreciation. Class acts, the lot of them -- from the coaches to the players. Each and all. I got invited to come to their pre-regionals function (itself, a very respectful gesture) last night, and I told them I'd come. Then I get blindsided with my own frustrating situation! So me saying I'd be there for 6-630, well, I couldn't hold myself to it because I had to wait for the Sheriff (hour-long ordeal, not a complaint -- this happened in the far-reaches of the county and talking to them isn't a five-minute process either) and then run home to switch cars with the ol' lady, since there was some rain looming! These guys -- they waited for me! I get to the cook-out at 8pm, and Coach Stewart greets me a with warm embrace and surprises me: District Champions t-shirt (oh, that still feels really nice!), team bracelet that the players and coaches wear, and a ticket for the game at Princeton. They didn't have to do any of that, but they did!

I get to talking with Coach Stewart and Coach Messerly, not even a couple minutes go by and, the next thing I know, the team is there in the garage with us! I actually can't remember the exact frame-by-frame transition of what happened over the next 30 seconds (overcome with serious emotion and appreciation, just blown away by it all) but the next thing I know I'm talking to the team. Telling them all how proud I am of not just the way they play, but they way they carry themselves on-the-field and off-the-field. Each and every single one of them. And, its... I can't do justice in words to paint the picture. They're all smiling, listening to every single word I say as if I'm one of their teachers or coaches. How proud I am for their perseverance (very small roster, have dealt with injuries), their hard work in the off-season and throughout (small roster means you need to have serious versatility, especially in the infield) and most importantly -- even more important to winning, to me -- how they carry themselves on the diamond and off of it. Despite the disrespect that gets shown to them there and on Twitter by other teams they play, sometimes teams they play twice. Let 'em know they're a credit to their parents, teachers, friends, coaches and everyone in their corner.

I told the team that there were a lot of well-wishes from the Wave of Newark Catholic, up north, from their coaches, players, alumni, parents, both after the game in-person and in messages sent to me from them (often the case they reached out to me, knowing I could tell the team. Hat tip to my good friend @gils 17, too, always been really respectful of us) that they wanted to see FC win it all. And you could see the eyes beam with confidence, already at its own fever-pitch, further brighter and wider.

That, itself, was a really cool and genuine moment that I'll hold dear. As was the kindness and thoughtfulness of Coach Stewart, his staff and the team to get me the gifts that they did. If anything could top that, and I didn't even think it was possible, afterwards I have players coming up to me and shaking my hand. Telling me a sincere "thank you!" for the backing of their team. And bear in mind, I hadn't really talked to any of these guys before last night -- I talked to some after the NC District Title game, everyone I could find. And we're on first-name basis right in our first conversations, ever. LOVED IT! Get to talk with them on their seasons, their game and what they liked about the past school year. Really cool to talk to the kids with the comfort and genuineness that I was able to (I had nothing pre-planned to speak beforehand, either!) I'm really grateful that I was able to have that moment, and that I was able to rise to that moment for the guys that love me.

Somewhere amid the pandemonium of the moment (I think I was only there for about 20 minutes, but it had the riches and experience of 2000 years), I receive a standing offer from the coaches that I can hitch a ride to Cincinnati with them if my car situation can't get resolved (the ol' lady of course had something scheduled this afternoon, so I couldn't take hers down to Cincy) in time. I think the exact quote is "whatever it takes, we wanna get you down to Cincinnati, Tom, so you can be there with us like you have been all year-long." And the guys on the team are clapping and hollering. Man!!

I always kind of wondered what it would have been like to get to talk to the Pittsburgh Penguins on their path to the Stanley Cup titles. You know. How cool it would be. This experience, it gives me a pretty good idea of what that's like. Except, this was 10x the experience that hypothetical could have been. Beyond awesome. Thanks so much, guys. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It means the world to me, and what's equally impressive and meaningful to me is you guys knew how much it meant to me. How much I loved that school with the White Cross on the side, as the seasons pass, and how much I always had pride in a solid baseball program as the representation of everything that FC has been to me and what I always wanted everyone to see out of FC. This will forever mean everything to me.

It truly was 'A Season to Remember,' with class and character every step of the way. Immensely proud of each and every single one of these guys. While it isn't the way you want to see the season end, I think anyone and everyone will take a season with baseball played into June over one that ends in May. These guys: the power of positive culture, love, care, respect, gratitude and camaraderie -- it's enough to overcome the impact and devastation of a crushing end to the season. I know it stings the younger guys that tonight was the last time they will get to play with our grads, it hurts our seniors that it's end of them playing for the school they loved to represent, and for the staff it is hard to see the players that they love like sons of their own experiencing a slow heartbreak that you can't do anything about. But that power? It's transformative. Our younger guys are grateful for the awesome season (many of whom was their first rodeo in high school baseball) under the wing of great senior leadership, thereby allowing the fruits of their hard work come out in defined roles in the field/on the hill and in the batter's box. Our seniors are smart, they will always the program to death and they know the team is in good hands for next year as the torch is passed down. And the coaches know there are big things in store for everyone, returning players and graduates alike, for everyone come next Spring.

Our boys know it's not the end of the line. They understand that the journey this year, all along, was bigger than the destination. They know what it takes out of each-and-everyone to have a great season, and they're going to have another one this in 2022. You could tell by looking at their faces and hearing them speak after the game. Heads held high.

A fun ride, it has been. Big ups to everyone, but especially the parents, who made it to Princeton today. Signs and window painting = beyond incredible to see it. Our Class of 2022 play like seniors, working their roles very efficiently and enthusiastically. We had sophomores that played like seniors all-over the place, and freshmen that are well-above the level of emotional*mental maturity. It takes a team to win, especially the way FC did it all year-long. And the way we win, as well as the way we compete, it makes everyone proud.

I'll have more to say. I'm barely awake, yo.

Last edited:
This was truly a year that the league should be thrilled about. The future is so bright for 2022. If you throw in Lancaster, you had four Fairfield County teams make the regionals and Bloom-Carroll playing today to reach the State. Let's wish them all the best on their quest to win State Title #2. As for Fisher and Liberty, great seasons considering the lack of experience most teams had to deal with. It is truly shameful that Jacob Miller was not listed as All-Ohio. Best pitcher in the state....... Will be motivation for him next year in his senior season. I do not think I want the Liberty Union next season on my schedule. That will be a focused bunch. Fisher you had a magical season, reached #3 in the state and came so close to returning to the State Finals. If only the regionals for our Central Ohio teams could be played closer for all district champs instead of having to send teams to Cinciinnati or the Toledo areas for Regionals. Everyone should be proud of their schools and MSL Baseball will continue to get better and more teams will be able to compete for titles down the road. Let's all root for the Bloom-Carroll Bulldogs and hope they can win three more games and bring home a State Title for the Mid-State League.

This was truly a year that the league should be thrilled about. The future is so bright for 2022. If you throw in Lancaster, you had four Fairfield County teams make the regionals and Bloom-Carroll playing today to reach the State. Let's wish them all the best on their quest to win State Title #2.
Of course we’ll throw in Lancaster! They’re more in common with these boys than I think folks realize. Future is bright for 1312 Granville Pike. Looking forward to watching more Cooperrider. That kid is straight “dawg.” Stands to be the best pitcher in LHS memory since Chris Gang.
As for Fisher and Liberty, great seasons considering the lack of experience most teams had to deal with.
Oh yeah. That FC-LU game, both teams’ second of the year, felt like a District Title game. That’s when I realized our guy Chase Springer was going to have a special year, seeing him in a game situation after his tremendous scrimmage vs Athens.

It is truly shameful that Jacob Miller was not listed as All-Ohio. Best pitcher in the state.......
Oh yeah. That whole OHSBCA all-state... not good. I really struggle with D4’s selections. Nick Krooner should’ve gotten First Team as a utility/DH. His pitching + batting + fielding was incredible. The gentleman from East Knox is a good player, but I don’t see how you can have the position he was chosen for be listed as “utility” when he doesn’t pitch whereas Krooner does and was solid. If it’s a purely “hitting only” pretense for DH... uh, Tencza from FC had an awesome argument. And Chase had an argument to be first team or at least second team as a pitcher. Kid played a brutal schedule on the hill. In that same vein, another kid that I think got shafted was Grant Saunders from Russia. That young man, without question, the second-most impressive pitching performance I’ve seen in a decade after Miller. And this shouldn’t be taken as a slight or knock on anyone else I’ve seen pitch. Saunders was really good, but what was most impressive about him is he pitched his tail off with A++ confidence that he was going to make a dynamite FC batting order miss. And he did. Excelled in his three pitches with terrific command. I hope he gets an opportunity to pitch in front of as many people as possible.

Will be motivation for him next year in his senior season. I do not think I want the Liberty Union next season on my schedule.

Man, I wanna see LU on ours! We should be playing LU every year.

Fisher you had a magical season, reached #3 in the state and came so close to returning to the State Finals. If only the regionals for our Central Ohio teams could be played closer for all district champs instead of having to send teams to Cinciinnati or the Toledo areas for Regionals.
Thanks, man. Feel for the Gales, hard, on the way theirs ended. We’ll be back. So will LHS.

Everyone should be proud of their schools and MSL Baseball will continue to get better and more teams will be able to compete for titles down the road. Let's all root for the Bloom-Carroll Bulldogs and hope they can win three more games and bring home a State Title for the Mid-State League.

Oh ye’. I was there at TV, today. BC strung together a 2-out, 6-run rally in the fourth that just spiked Hillsboro (a team who had a magnificent, cinderella story) out on the path to Akron.

They had a great year. Congratulations.

League should change the scheduling to Monday and Tuesday series. Make it fairer for everyone.

They had a great year. Congratulations.

League should change the scheduling to Monday and Tuesday series. Make it fairer for everyone.
That would just cause games to be suspended on darkness. There are so few programs that have 4 arms (1 for Monday, 2nd and, if necessary, a 3rd on Tuesday, 4th on Thursday) that can deal.

And there is no indication this would solve “fairness issues.” It would just make things worse.