Mid-State League 2021

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
Have at it, folks. This can be a general MSL thread, since I suspect there may be fellas who want to talk about the Buckeye and Cardinal. And no, I didn't forget about the Ohio, either.

Initial, general predictions:

Buckeye
Bloom-Carroll is probably the favorite, but LU will have a say for sure. Can't rule out Teays, either.

Cardinal
Most likely will be FC v. BU deciding the crown, although GCC may force a split.

Ohio
This is basically Bexley and Grandview's division, isn't it?

Last edited:

Ohio

Throw in Columbus Academy, Buckeye Valley and Worthington Christian. Whitehall has not been real strong in baseball the last few years but the other teams in Division are pretty competitive. Not sure if Wellington School offers baseball.

Ohio

Throw in Columbus Academy, Buckeye Valley and Worthington Christian. Whitehall has not been real strong in baseball the last few years but the other teams in Division are pretty competitive. Not sure if Wellington School offers baseball.
Wellington does offer baseball. They’re typically OK. Highest they finished in the Cardinal was... 3rd??? 4th???

In the Ohio Division I would go with Columbus Academy, Buckeye Valley and Worthington Christian. Grandview lost a ton to graduation and Bexley is also young with a new coaching staff.

BV is always solid, they also have a new head coach.
Academy is always good with a few top notch players.
Worth Christian has a very good 10th grade class that should have a couple of division titles before they graduate.

Buckeye Div has Miller from LU going to Louisville and Bloom has PSU commit CJ Carmichael. FU or Circleville will play for 3rd.

Berne will win the Card. Unlike Fisher who graduated their pitching two years ago we return our #1 and other kids have innings. Plus who knows what FC will look like with a new coach.

Worth Christian has a very good 10th grade class that should have a couple of division titles before they graduate.

It always struck me as weird that WC, a school that has had tremendous success at literally every boys sports imaginable, rarely has a team that is in charge of their division when it comes to baseball. The last time we played them, they had some nice individual players -- but that was a while back now.

Buckeye Div has Miller from LU going to Louisville and Bloom has PSU commit CJ Carmichael. FU or Circleville will play for 3rd.

Berne will win the Card. Unlike Fisher who graduated their pitching two years ago we return our #1 and other kids have innings. Plus who knows what FC will look like with a new coach.
I'm looking at Liberty Union's schedule. DH vs Granville on 3/27 and then their next scheduling is at our place on the 31st. They kick off Buckeye play against Fairfield Union on Monday, 4/5... play Teays on 4/7 and then BC on 4/9. That's a brutal first week of league play for them. Was secretly hoping there was an outside chance we could might face Jacob Miller on the mound if the cards played out right, but I know that probably won't happen.

We'll be fine. I'll miss Jack, but Coach Stewart is a great coach and I'm excited to see what the "new era" looks like for us. The article in the Eagle-Gazette from last season said that shoring up the pitching was a big priority for their off-season. Might not have a dominant ace like we usually do, but still serviceable and good.

2020 was going to be the most wide open league chase the Cardinal had. GCC and Berne Union both had the inside track to winning, FCA had some bats. Newcomer Miller would have had the best #1 in the league. No one would’ve won it unbeaten. Outside of the league East Knox was going to be on a warpath to Akron.

This year will be hard to predict. Those four teams graduated some serious talent but they all return a couple good players and have great coaches. But it could be Fisher winning the Cardinal. They bring back 8 lettermen from their district runner up team of 2019.

^Fairfield Christian is a team to keep an eye on in 2022 and 2023. The younger Keener brothers are sophomores, and they have the potential to possibly be the best players to date in the 2013-present Cardinal saga when it is all said and done.

I don't think GCC will have a ton of pitching this season. They graduated some kids that gave a lot to that program.

That 2014 year in the Cardinal was some great baseball. Evans from FC, Howard from GCC, McCartney from BU. They had ace that I can't think of his name right now. Millersport had a great team and would have made noise any other year.

I don't think GCC will have a ton of pitching this season. They graduated some kids that gave a lot to that program.

That 2014 year in the Cardinal was some great baseball. Evans from FC, Howard from GCC, McCartney from BU. They had ace that I can't think of his name right now. Millersport had a great team and would have made noise any other year.
Brady Mahlerwein was his name. Southpaw! 20 strikeouts in one game vs FCA that year. He may be the best pitcher in the ‘13—present Cardinal era, although there are at least three others who could stake the claim.

GCC had some studs in recent years, like Downton (took us yard on Hoover Rd in 19), both Spegal brothers. There was a game, one year, where the older Spegal brother and the Eagles just took Zach Saffell from FC to the cleaners. That may have been the same year where a 2-way was forced thanks to Wellington hitting 2 grand slams against BU.

//

This year, it may be thorny in the Cardinal chase. The hunter has become the hunted. #1 thing that I want to see is us progress through the year even if it means taking lumps in the process.

Last edited:
New rule for this spring: defensive conferences and mound conferences have to be 6-feet distance. Oh man... coaches gonna bring out big white-boards to hold up on both sides of their faces?

Not MSL, but relevant to the Cardinal teams with dreams: Newark Catholic still has some solid players from the 2019 team back. Read the great article by Kurt Snyder in the Advocate on their scrimmage vs Tri-Valley. Looks like NC had some growing pains, but Cannizzaro will find a way to get them up to speed shortly. @gils

Hot stove updates?

I know that Fisher Cath “beat” Athens last night in their first scrim. 7-0 after first 4 innings, 11-3 after innings 5-8.

Hot stove updates?

I know that Fisher Cath “beat” Athens last night in their first scrim. 7-0 after first 4 innings, 11-3 after innings 5-8.
For it being their first scrimmage, they looked respectable. Knew they were headlined by three very good players, with a highly-motivated balance of the roster full of kids working their tails off, but had no real idea how that would translate or play out. Although it's a small sample size (1 scrim), I'm very impressed by the improvement, skills and readiness I saw out of the entire junior class compared to when they were freshmen.

Still unsure what they can achieve, or really where they're at. No clue how they stack up against the league, district, area or whatnot. The matrix of week 1 versus Fairfield Union and Liberty Union, week 2 versus Millersport, Berne Union and Harvest Prep can tell us a lot about who or what FC really is this season. (As will the intense week 3 slate of five games in six days, and the week 4 gauntlet of the fighting Knights o' FCA, 'Port and the Bernies. And so on, and so forth...)

Here's a cool article written on Coach Stewart and his taking of the reins on SR-37. https://bvmsports.com/2021/03/22/fisher-catholic-baseball-adopts-stewart-into-the-family/

State Champions
Bloom-Carroll: 2014 (Division II)
Liberty Union: 1960, 1961, 1964 (Class AA)
Berne Union: 1938 (Class AA)

State Runner-Ups
Bloom-Carroll: 1974 (Class A), 2013 (Division II)
Fisher Catholic: 2005 (Division IV)
Columbus Academy: 2003 (Division III)
Fairfield Union: 1986 (Class AA)
Liberty Union: 1962 (Class AA)

State Final Four (Regional Champions)
Circleville: 2016 (Division II)
Fisher Catholic: 2001 (Division IV)
Fairfield Union: 1969 (Class A)

Buckeye Division (2000-present) championships
Circleville: 2003, 2010; 2019
Bloom-Carroll: 2011, 2012, 2013; 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018,
Teays Valley: 2001, 2006, 2007, 2008; 2017
Canal Winchester: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010
Fairfield Union: 2000, 2002

Cardinal Division (2000-present) championships
Fisher Catholic: 2003; 2005, 2009, 2010; 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Grove City Christian: 2014, 2018,
Berne Union: 2014, 2017
Liberty Union: 2012, 2013
Licking Heights: 2011, 2012
Grandview Heights: 2007, 2008, 2009
Newark Catholic: 2004, 2005, 2006#
Heath: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003^

# - Newark Catholic participated in the Cardinal Division from August, 2003 through May, 2006
^ - Heath participated in the Cardinal Division from August, 1991 through May, 2003

Ohio Division (2004-present) championships
Bexley: 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019
London: 2018
Columbus Academy: 2014, 2016
Granville: 2012, 2013
Newark Catholic: 2009, 2011#
Heath: 2008
Licking Valley: 2006, 2007
Lakewood: 2004, 2005, 2010

# - Newark Catholic participated in the Ohio Division from August, 2006 through May, 2013

//

League histories updated from 2000-present. All sourcing of records comes from the master history of MSL records for Fall '99-current compiled by the late Marlo Mills, former Bloom-Carroll A.D. and longtime Mid-State League historian.

Bolded represents schools who are current members of the division.

Non-bolded represents schools who are no longer in the Mid-State League.

Italicized represents schools who are currently members of another MSL division.

Semi-colons -- years listed before a semi-colon ( ; ) denote championships won under the division banner before the division would later re-align. [e.g. Fisher Catholic's 2003 Cardinal (split-)title was under under the previous Cardinal alignment with Granville, Heath, New Albany et al that existed from August 1991 through May 2003; Fisher Catholic's 2003, 2005, 2009, and 2010 Cardinal titles were under the previous Cardinal alignment with Grandview Heights, Licking Heights, Liberty Union et al (with intermittent entrance/exits of Newark Catholic and West Jefferson) that existed from August 2003 through May 2013.]

Last edited:
(And no, I'm not "forgetting" the state accomplishments of former MSL member Newark Catholic -- this is all part of a larger project I'm trying to do on my own and enhance. Adding in the state accomplishments of former MSL members, that were won when they played under the banner, is something I plan on doing in a future stage. The reason why they aren't listed right now is because it does take some time, precision and consistency to update them in for all applicable sports.)

(And no, I'm not "forgetting" the state accomplishments of former MSL member Newark Catholic -- this is all part of a larger project I'm trying to do on my own and enhance. Adding in the state accomplishments of former MSL members, that were won when they played under the banner, is something I plan on doing in a future stage. The reason why they aren't listed right now is because it does take some time, precision and consistency to update them in for all applicable sports.)
Dock you forgot Lakewood who won their last state championship in 2005. They were in the Ohio. BTW go to the football forum I put something about the Lakewood Football Helmet design that you like.

Good stuff Dock!!!

Looking forward to opening day on Saturday!!
OHSAA Opening Day match-ups, Saturday 3/27

Buckeye Division
Amanda-Clearcreek 2 @ Lancaster 12 f/5
Bloom-Carroll 7, 9 @ Bishop Hartley 10 (f/10), 6 (DH)
Circleville 5 @ Waverly 6 (f/10)
Fairfield Union 9, 14 @ Logan 2, 0(DH)
Granville 1 @ Liberty Union 6
Groveport-Madison 4 @ Teays Valley 9

Cardinal Division
Newark Catholic 2 @ Berne Union 0 (Game is to be played at Beavers Field, 1pm)
Fairfield Christian 6, 3 @ Mt. Gilead 16, 14 (DH)
Madison Christian 8, 8 @ Millersport 2, 0 (DH)

Ohio Division
Bexley 0 @ Olentangy Berlin 10
Whitehall-Yearling 0 @ Whetstone 20 ; WY 1, Ready 2
Worthington Christian 7 @ Westland 6

//

First games for MSL teams not opening their season on 3/27

Buckeye Division
Hamilton Township @ Central Crossing, Weds. 3/31
Logan Elm @ Westfall, Mon. 3/29

Cardinal Division
Beallsville @ Bishop Rosecrans, Mon. 3/29
Fisher Catholic @ Fairfield Union, Tues. 3/30
Grove City Christian @ Grandview Heights, Tues. 3/30
Harvest Preparatory @ Grove City Christian, Mon. 4/5
Miller @ Federal Hocking, Mon. 3/29

Ohio Division
London @ Buckeye Valley, Mon. 3/29
Columbus Academy @ Dublin Jerome, Weds. 3/31
Westland @ Grandview Heights, Mon. 3/29
Cardington-Lincoln @ Wellington, Tues. 3/30 (Game is to be played at Berliner Park.)

Last edited:
This year, there will be three MSL schools playing their home games at an off-campus facility that is not otherwise owned by the school. Two in the Cardinal Division, one in the Ohio Division.

Cardinal Division
Berne Union (Beavers Field)
Fairfield Christian (Berliner Park, with the Tschopp Road youth baseball complex as a back-up)

Ohio Division
Wellington (Berliner Park)

Last edited:
The big plotline I see on Opening Day is in the NC vs Berne Union game.

32-0; May 20th, 2005 -- what does this number * month/year represent, and what is the significance to the game referenced above? @gils may be the most likely to provide an answer, but I'll enjoy answers from anyone in the crowd. Answer to be published at around 2:30pm tomorrow (Friday, Opening Day eve) if no one gets it by then.

Last edited:
Yo, the word on the street in Walnut Township is Millersport beat Wellington 18-0 in a scrimmy.

And the answer to the trivia question above: 32 games is the winning streak Newark Catholic has against the MSL-Cardinal in baseball, with their last loss to a Cardinal school coming on 05/20/05. That streak is on the line tomorrow!

Prep Baseball Report's preseason all-state honors came out, and there was some decent MSL representation.

The Buckeye, Cardinal, and Ohio Divisions each have two players on a First Team list in either D2, D3, and D4.

Article by Tom Wilson on NC/BU

@gils Bell looked very good on the mound.Very solid team defensively for NC this year, and as always primo fundamental play.

NC: 2 runs, 5 hits, 2 errors
BU: 0 runs, 3 hits, 2 errors

Both teams in great position to win a District Title.

Also: no walks all-game.
I have known Cannizzaro for over 35 years that is the way he teaches it. I still say after Bell, there are question marks on their pitching because most of them have never pitched in a varsity game. We will see.

Cardinal predictions

t1. Fisher
t1. Berne Union (it's either going to be FC winning it outright, or they split vs BU.)

3. GCC
4. FCA
5. Rosecrans
6. Millersport
7. Miller
8. HP

Buckeye predictions

t1. Teays Valley
t1. BC
t3. Liberty Union
t3. Fairfield Union
t3. Amanda-Clearcreek