Mid-State League ‘21-22

So, who is likely to finish 2nd in the Cardinal for boys hoops?

I would guess Berne, although a long football run and needing to replace the District POY might get them off to a slow start. I like your earlier pick of GCC just because they have so many kids who play year round and can probably get off to a hot start despite still being young. Regardless, I think second place will have at least 4 losses in conference. I don't think there's a clear-cut favorite at this point.

I think I can help out with your predictions. I hung out with GCC's head coach last week (childhood friends). They lost players from last year's team to Grove City and winter-indoor soccer. He was very concerned about COVID. He thinks it could plague them worse than last year. They will be younger and smaller this season. I really want to get out and see 5 or 6 now that he will coach his son. That could be a form of entertainment I have not seen since Briggs.

I think I can help out with your predictions. I hung out with GCC's head coach last week (childhood friends). They lost players from last year's team to Grove City and winter-indoor soccer. He was very concerned about COVID. He thinks it could plague them worse than last year. They will be younger and smaller this season. I really want to get out and see 5 or 6 now that he will coach his son. That could be a form of entertainment I have not seen since Briggs.
If they still have Caleb Ransom, then they still have enough to compete for 2nd.

Hopefully we’ll know in November what schools are doing about attendance. Can think back 5-10 years when some of the Cardinal gyms were freakin’ packed. When I was in school, further back, the team was not very good but home court advantage for us was pretty much worth a 10 point spot. FC & Grandview were the two toughest places to play, bar-none, in the 2006-2013 Cardinal. These days, BU has overtaken us. Damn!

GCC brings back the top three players from last year. They will struggle with size and depth. Teams will have to figure out who to guard though. They will stay with the youth movement for one more year. Still no seniors and only two juniors.

Berne will finish second in the league.

GCC brings back the top three players from last year. They will struggle with size and depth. Teams will have to figure out who to guard though. They will stay with the youth movement for one more year. Still no seniors and only two juniors.

Berne will finish second in the league.
1) HP
2) BU

3) Rosecrans
4) GCC

5) FCA??
(this is where it gets rough)

6) FC

7) MP
8) Miller

Not to hijack the MSL thread, but along the lines of D4 Central District I have an update on Northside Christian. This is third hand from my coaching buddy who seemed a little bitter when I asked him how the season was looking, but apparently his friend overheard some things at a soccer game. He heard Northside got a transfer that is not common at the MOCAL level. 6'5", really good shooter, insanely quick handles, and can easily dunk with two hands from the hash mark. They also got a freshman transfer who played for Worthington Christian's 8th grade team last year. All this to go on top of that stud freshman-led team that won every junior high game by 20+ points.

I was debating whether to add his commentary, but it went along the lines of this: "Northside got an AAU coach, got a transfer who could be the best player the conference has ever seen, has possibly the second best player the conference has ever seen, and is now getting a transfer from Worthington Christian. Hope it doesn’t turn into a minor version of Deer Park. With their height that they brought back and a strong freshman class already, it's like they're turning into the Harvest Prep of the MOCAL with how dominant they could be."

If this happens to be accurate, Northside might not have to wait long to be successful.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the MSL thread, but along the lines of D4 Central District I have an update on Northside Christian. This is third hand from my coaching buddy so was more than a little bitter when I asked him how the season was looking, but apparently his friend overheard some things at a soccer game. He heard Northside got a transfer that is unfair at the MOCAL level. 6'5", really good shooter, insanely quick handles, and can easily dunk with two hands from the hash mark. They also got a freshman transfer who played for Worthington Christian's 8th grade team last year. All this to go on top of that stud freshman-led team that won every junior high game by 20+ points.

I was debating whether to add his commentary, but it went along the lines of this: "Northside got an AAU coach, got a transfer who could be the best player the conference has ever seen, got possibly the second best player the conference has ever seen, and is now getting a transfer from Worthington Christian? It's feeling like a Deer Park situation. With their height that they brought back and a strong freshman class already, it's like they're turning into the Harvest Prep of the MOCAL."

I would think other coaches aren't exactly happy about Northside's potential haha. I suppose that's natural when one team all of a sudden gets an AAU coach and transfers start rolling in. And please note that this is all more than second hand info so who knows if it's true? But if it is accurate, Northside's rise could be quicker and longer than expected.
This is also a “no sitting out the second-half” season, per OHSAA.

Sounds a lot like Cornerstone Christian. Or those Christian schools you find in the southern U.S. along the I-95 corridor, Atlanta area etc, where the basketball program function is to get kids to pass clearinghouse on NCAA academics.

Basketball predictions for MSL
1. Harvest Prep- They have won the last 8 MSL titles and I don't think it will stop anytime soon.
2. Bishop Rosecrans- Their JV team beat Harvest Prep's JV team, they have a really talented sophomore class, and have been the number two team in the league for the past two to three years.
3. Berne Union- Has been a consistent top-four team in this league and had some talented kids on their JV team last year. I know one of their JV players was around 6'7" and one was around 6'1".
4. Grove City Christian- They are a young promising team with a lot of pieces to build around. The only problem will be with their inexperience and if they have the toughness to hang with the bigger teams.
5. Fisher Catholic- Played their JV team last year. They had some big kids on their team and could dribble well for their size.
6. Fairfield Christian- Don't know a lot about them, could be anywhere from 4th place to 7th place.
7. Millersport- Lost a lot of players from graduation last year.
8. Miller- They just don't have the talent to compete right now.

Basketball predictions for MSL
1. Harvest Prep- They have won the last 8 MSL titles and I don't think it will stop anytime soon.
2. Bishop Rosecrans- Their JV team beat Harvest Prep's JV team, they have a really talented sophomore class, and have been the number two team in the league for the past two to three years.
3. Berne Union- Has been a consistent top-four team in this league and had some talented kids on their JV team last year. I know one of their JV players was around 6'7" and one was around 6'1".
4. Grove City Christian- They are a young promising team with a lot of pieces to build around. The only problem will be with their inexperience and if they have the toughness to hang with the bigger teams.
5. Fisher Catholic- Played their JV team last year. They had some big kids on their team and could dribble well for their size.
6. Fairfield Christian- Don't know a lot about them, could be anywhere from 4th place to 7th place.
7. Millersport- Lost a lot of players from graduation last year.
8. Miller- They just don't have the talent to compete right now.
Well done.

Our problem is prob gonna be shooting. Backcourt I guess is prob going to be kids that normally fit better up front. Great kids, big kids, just not a lot of prowess per se. Brown does a great job every year, though. Supposedly the boys scrimmaged the girls team in a 5-min pickup over the summer and the girls won 9-0. Which… yeah. Looking forward to watching them play, anyways. Hoping to see some Bill Laimbeer physicality, if anything!

Last edited:

?

Very interesting development. An MSL school inside 270 may be finding themselves in a ‘no-win’ situation.
I like this new rule, at least for the MSL Cardinal. This new rule will hurt Harvest Prep the most in the run differential category. Harvest Prep beatings will continue, but not like last year. Harvest Prep beat Miller 117-23 last year and while Miller is the worst team in the MSL, the rest of the MSL Cardinal didn't fare much better. Harvest Prep won by an average of 47 points against MSL Cardinal teams. This rule will help the players and the fans who have to watch these blowouts.

I like this new rule, at least for the MSL Cardinal. This new rule will hurt Harvest Prep the most in the run differential category. Harvest Prep beatings will continue, but not like last year. Harvest Prep beat Miller 117-23 last year and while Miller is the worst team in the MSL, the rest of the MSL Cardinal didn't fare much better. Harvest Prep won by an average of 47 points against MSL Cardinal teams. This rule will help the players and the fans who have to watch these blowouts.
I think the rule is fine.

It's probably going to stand in the way of Wellington coming over, now.

I am hoping to get a look at GCC on Saturday morning as they host Ridgedale. I have not heard about any restrictions from the school so hopefully I have some good news to report.

How many teams are getting a late start with Football teams making a run?

^ A little surprised Berne isn't still playing. Any idea if the coaches give them a week off between sports or if they just jump right in?

Also, any news on scrimmages? In D4 Central, I heard Tree of Life split 6 quarters with Centennial despite missing their best player. Northside started slow vs. Horizon Science but picked it up after shaking off some nerves (started 3 freshman).

^ A little surprised Berne isn't still playing. Any idea if the coaches give them a week off between sports or if they just jump right in?
Supposed to get a week off. They have a starter, or two, who will be on vacation and [checks Arbiter] coming back to the court for the Rockets on 12/4 vs Harvest Prep.

1) HP
2) BU

3) Rosecrans
4) GCC

5) FCA??
(this is where it gets rough)

6) FC

7) MP
8) Miller
I have revised my predictions…

1) HP
t2) BU
t2) GCC
4) Rosecrans
5) FCA
6) MP
7) Miller
8) FC

I tell no lies.

Is it baseball season, yet?

Last edited:
Flip Rosecrans and GCC.

What do you know about Fisher that has them that low?
I'm not as high on Rosecrans as others are. Rosecrans is a blue-blood, of course, under Rock but I have heard from my connects out east that they're going to be down.

re: FC -- just no real scoring threats, bad ball movement. Defense is also just bad. I have a huge amount of respect for the boys and enjoy each & every single one of them, but they really have no hardwood talent this year. It was bound to happen. The entire handful of boys that are going to get 95% of the minutes are pretty whipped on their time throughout the year -- basketball being a third sport to a lot of them. It is what it is. Bound to happen at some point. Not really much of an excuse, or not intended to be... there are some fine teams in the league this year regardless, and we're also just way down. Would not be surprised if we have 2’x’ losses. (‘x’ is an integer.)

I also heard that they got ran off the court by Lancaster last Friday. Which, this is probably the worst year for us to be playing Lancaster anyways given how little we have. Previous years it would've been more respectable. Just a huge dry spell as some have intimated.

My radical thought is our boys will definitely embrace the adversity to come through the 23-24 games. And appreciate it. They’re pretty balanced between the ears, and recognize the value of success in their other sports when they’re pressed down in hoops.

...in other news, my understanding is Millersport's second-best player is actually going to be a girl? Neat, if so.

Last edited:
I heard a few rumors from the Port on them not being able to field a girls team.

I think we will see a very distinct line in the division this year. The top teams will split with each other, except HP, and then the lower half will split.

Is anyone opening tonight? I saw Berne plays Friday in the tip-off classic at Zane Trace.

I heard a few rumors from the Port on them not being able to field a girls team.

I think we will see a very distinct line in the division this year. The top teams will split with each other, except HP, and then the lower half will split.

Is anyone opening tonight? I saw Berne plays Friday in the tip-off classic at Zane Trace.
Correct. They will not be fielding a girls’ team.

If the ejection or disqualification occurs in the last contest of the season, the student shall be ineligible for the same period of time as stated above in the next sport in which the student participates.
Me said:
Supposed to get a week off. They have a starter, or two, who will be on vacation and [checks Arbiter] coming back to the court for the Rockets on 12/4 vs Harvest Prep.

How in the world did this already get screwed up? It was well-known, with publicly viewable video, that the kid was ejected in the last football game of the season. So how, for goodness sake, how, did he end up playing in the season opener in hoops last night?

Also, he got T'd up, last night, in a game he Literally Was Not Supposed to be Playing In.

btw... New Hope 51 Berne Union 44

Last edited:
Mid State League scores so far- scores are getting harder to get so if you can help post scores you know about.
I try to keep track of the Ohio Division.
Buckeye Valley lost to Delaware Hayes 56-52 11/24
Bexely beat Columbus Whetstone 76-73 11/24

How in the world did this already get screwed up? It was well-known, with publicly viewable video, that the kid was ejected in the last football game of the season. So how, for goodness sake, how, did he end up playing in the season opener in hoops last night?

Also, he got T'd up, last night, in a game he Literally Was Not Supposed to be Playing In.

The AD knows the star player got tossed versus River. Dishonest and evasive to let him play.

Was at the game Friday. I did not think he would be able to play and was surprised when he came off the bench.

He wasn't the only T for Berne, the PG got one as well.

Might be an interesting year in the Grove. Unless they were missing players, they will have a short rotation. Seemed very undisciplined but do want to give McKnight credit. Once both T's were handed out, the players did not come back in.

Went to the Teepee in Tarlton to watch BU play. The only nice thing about that was getting back into the gymnasium -- man, that feels good!

The "Fab 3" (as the shirts they wore say) didn't dress*, so I knew it already it was a bad idea to come out. Blink of an eye, it's 20-0 Logan Elm. 13 turnovers in the 1Q. Had enough of that, and bolted to Rax. Mmm....

* - I don't get it. If one doesn't dress, do the other two not dress in solidarity?