Michigan State Open

Paddy is going to take some losses. He has Andonian in a week.
Excited for Geog to step into some of those five dates.
No word on D'Emilio. I'm pretty shocked that Decatur was able to wrestle six, seven minute matches in a day. He could barely drag himself onto his feet in the third period of his first match.
Mendez final win wasn't a huge surprise, but it was a huge win.
Not much to comment on about the rest. Not worried about Hoffman. Braunagel (ILL) is a good wrestler.

Last edited:
Wrestled at 149 as a true freshman and RS frosh before moving up to 157 last year. Beat Yahya Thomas as a true freshman and had a 18-8 loss to #1 and eventual NCAA champ Austin O'Connor. Lost to Bryce Hepner last year 3-1 at 157. Seemed to wrestled competitively up around #50 last year - which is where he both lost and won matches. That is not good. Had a win over pre-season #25 Jacob Butler (Okla) at the MSU Open.

Chumpley was a 2X state champ in high school

Wrestle stat has Chumpley at #30 and Gallagher at #33. Pretty accurate considering how the match turned out.

Too bad Will Lewan dropped out. That would have provided a better gage of the 157 wrestlers. Gallagher will move up during the year. I would have to admit I expected him to be competing for AA this year. Still could. He'll learn a lot as he goes, seems to be very competitive so I expect every loss to fire him up.

Last edited:
Wrestled at 149 as a true freshman and RS frosh before moving up to 157 last year. Beat Yahya Thomas as a true freshman and had a 18-8 loss to #1 and eventual NCAA champ Austin O'Connor. Lost to Bryce Hepner last year 3-1 at 157.
" Lost to Bryce Hepner last year 3-1 at 157. "

Very interesting.
Chumpley was a 2X state champ in high school

Wrestle stat has Chumpley at #30 and Gallagher at #33. Pretty accurate considering how the match turned out.

Too bad Will Lewan dropped out. That would have provided a better gage of the 157 wrestlers. Gallagher will move up during the year.

I would have to admit I expected him to be competing for AA this year. Still could. He'll learn a lot as he goes, seems to be very competitive so I expect every loss to fire him up.
A lot of people expected he could/would AA last year. Everyone "learns" he's also had a year under his belt in a college room, his "fire" has been there a long time before this loss. I think he'll move up agreed, I haven't looked at who's returning at 157, a low AA is possible.

On Mendez…free flowing on his feat … I saw an excellent front headlock series- control…to a sweet ankle pick. He’ s tough when standing with arm wrapped around opponents waist.. which helps to set up that thing he threw on mooseman and Byrd. And Looks real tough on top. And has a funky roll escape-reversal. Thing.. I am a huge Lucas Byrd fan, like all of us yappie Ohio . Byrd of course looked irritated at the end of the match , cause dang’it. Mendez is freshman. My take on Mendez, the way he wrestles… he can beat anyone. Looks to be a real special one ! What a pick by the OSU. Team looked real good this weekend!

Thought Geog was better but not by that much. He looked a little winded but if he builds tank he might be eventual starter. Can Shumate get to 184? He is too good a wrestler not to get into the line up.

Do you think he can beat Romero? Pretty tall order.

Do you think he can beat Romero? Pretty tall order.
Hearing matches are very close between the two but Romero still gets the nod.
Thought Geog was better but not by that much. He looked a little winded but if he builds tank he might be eventual starter. Can Shumate get to 184? He is too good a wrestler not to get into the line up.
Watched the match a couple times and didn't think it was close. Shumate had nothing for Geog. Looked like Geog coasted in the 3rd. Shumate looks more like a college 184. Hope he can carve a spot for himself there.

Hearing matches are very close between the two but Romero still gets the nod.

Watched the match a couple times and didn't think it was close. Shumate had nothing for Geog. Looked like Geog coasted in the 3rd. Shumate looks more like a college 184. Hope he can carve a spot for himself there.

If that is the case Geog gonna be pretty special because Romero is very, very good.

Jr Nationals finalist as an eighth grader couldn't make the starting lineup (as Woo mentioned). Then COVID. Then one point loss in finals at state...

Who/what kept Geog out of the St. Ed's lineup early in his hs career?

I read this a while ago knowing not much about Geog. The kid is a grinder and hope for good things for him at tOSU. Good read.

Last edited:
I read this a while ago knowing not much about Geog. The kid is a grinder and hope for good things for him at tOSU. Good read.

He was on the varsity B team as a freshman and injured as a sophomore 2nd as a Junior and State Champ last year. He has been good since the biddy and M.S. days, his family made a good move by leaving UA for St. Eds. It all paid off.

Who/what kept Geog out of the St. Ed's lineup early in his hs career?
His freshman year Bryce Hepner was below him at 138 (State Champ) and Bryce Andonian was at 145, the weight that Luke wrestled. Bryce was a 4 time placer, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 1st. Heck even if he bumped all the way up to 152, you had Sam Dover another state champ.

Evan Bennett was also on the St. Eds B team that year.