Miami Valley League 2022-23

SidneyJackets

Season underway, and I think the first night provided clarity already on who the top teams are.

Butler and Troy both each seem to be improved and could threaten for title. West Carrollton should be stronger after a disappointing year last year. Sidney should be strong again; may be hard to repeat as champs, but they've got four solid kids back and a couple of other nice players, including a transfer from Lehman. Tipp should be strong again (what a great situation for new coach to walk into). Piqua could be a dark horse candidate and is one that's capable of an upset or two.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

How little did I know saying Piqua is a dark horse pick and capable of upsets would be prophetic. A nice win by Indians over Sidney last Friday, and a rare one in the last 8 or so years. I think only the second time Willoughby ever has lost to Piqua.

Sidney and West Carrollton both bounced back with wins after losing to Piqua and Troy Friday. Butler and Troy are the last two undefeated teams.

Butler has a tough stretch coming up. Hosting Sidney Friday, Troy on Tuesday and at West Carrollton next Friday. If they go undefeated, they'll be in driver's seat.

I haven't seen Piqua yet, but seeing the Sidney win and seeing the Sidney/Butler score. I'm curious how good Piqua is. I seen they beat Xenia but I'm not sure how good they are. Did Piqua just catch Sidney with their perverbial pants down, or does this Piqua team have some potential?

I haven't seen Piqua yet, but seeing the Sidney win and seeing the Sidney/Butler score. I'm curious how good Piqua is. I seen they beat Xenia but I'm not sure how good they are. Did Piqua just catch Sidney with their perverbial pants down, or does this Piqua team have some potential?
Good question.

I've thought Piqua has more potential than they've played to the last couple years. The two Roberts guards are nice, and the supporting cast is solid with some size. However, they still look inconsistent. Aside from Butler loss, I had to go check MVL site and find score, as I saw they were down big at halftime st Xenia. They outscored Buccs 46-24 in second half to win by 3, and Xenia was winless.

Sidney shot terrible at Piqua, which is part of the reason of that result. Shot over 50% last night at Butler.

A couple of interesting games on Tuesday: Troy at Butler and West Carrollton at Piqua. Butler goes to West Carrollton on Friday and Sidney travels to Troy.

Tipp gets its season underway this week with Greenville, Fairborn and Northmont. Northmont game on Saturday should be interesting; Bolts are winless, but they beat both Tipp and Sidney last year when they finished just over .500.

Nice win for Troy to stay undefeated. Sidney rallies to beat Xenia 54-48. 4-1 Yellow Jackets travel to undefeated Troy on Friday. TAC should be rocking!

If games were three quarters, Xenia would be in good shape. Tonight was second straight game they couldn't hold on late. They also played Troy close in first half but couldn't keep up late.

Piqua came back and beat West Carrollton tonight. Indians and Sidney each have one loss, while Troy is last undefeated (that has played multiple meaningful games, anyway. Tipp starts season by beating Greenville by 50).

Troy outplayed Sidney, won 57-50. Jackets hit some late 3s to cut gap, was double digits.

Troy stays undefeated, goes to Tipp on Tuesday. Red Devils game against Fairborn was postponed for some reason, but they host Northmont on Saturday and travel to West Carrollton on Monday before game against Troy.

Kind of surprised by Troy. No great player but lots of solid ones. They seem to play well as a team. Tipp vs troy will be a good test to see if Troy is for real.

Troy outplayed Sidney, won 57-50. Jackets hit some late 3s to cut gap, was double digits.

Troy stays undefeated, goes to Tipp on Tuesday. Red Devils game against Fairborn was postponed for some reason, but they host Northmont on Saturday and travel to West Carrollton on Monday before game against Troy.
Fairborn had a student killed un a car wreck yesterday.

Kind of surprised by Troy. No great player but lots of solid ones. They seem to play well as a team. Tipp vs troy will be a good test to see if Troy is for real.
Frankly, this is what I've been waiting on from Troy for since the COVID season two years ago. Always thought they had a high ceiling and couldn't figure out why they weren't more consistent. Looks like they've finally put it together.

Sounds like a good game between Tipp and Troy last night.

Sidney came out flat and lost by 15 at West Carrollton.

With that being Sidney's third league loss, it looks like a three-team race between Tipp, Troy and Piqua. I'm guessing it really boils down to Tipp and Troy, as I don't think Piqua is quite as good as they are.

Sounds like a good game between Tipp and Troy last night.

Sidney came out flat and lost by 15 at West Carrollton.

With that being Sidney's third league loss, it looks like a three-team race between Tipp, Troy and Piqua. I'm guessing it really boils down to Tipp and Troy, as I don't think Piqua is quite as good as they are.
Trojans gave up a 10 point 3rd quarter lead and was up by 4 going into the 4th. Clyne scored 31 of tipp's 56 points.

I am super annoyed the Piqua @ Troy game in on Thursday night. Does anyone know why they put this game on Thursday and not Friday?

Gotcha, well I would normally go watch this game. But since it's on Thursday night that takes me out. I went and watched Piqua tonight vs Graham and they had to battle to get the win. But they pulled it off. Easy shots were just not falling for them early, but once they started to fall they put it in another gear. This Troy game is going to tell a lot of people including Piqua themselves how good they really are!