Mentor v Eds

fromthe3

Can we get a breakdown of each team and how we think they match up against each other?

According to Maxpreps, not sure how reliable it is, but they have Eds as a much better team.

Looking at there schedules, Eds has looked strong all year and Mentor has been coming on strong and is no slouch.

I think this is going to be a good game and would not be surprised if Mentor wins. But I haven't seen either team play and know nothing about their personnel.

Thank you!

I would never underestimate Mentor in the playoffs. Like St.Ed’s, They have been there so many times & always seem to peak at tournament time. Should be a great game.

Can we get a breakdown of each team and how we think they match up against each other?

According to Maxpreps, not sure how reliable it is, but they have Eds as a much better team.

Looking at there schedules, Eds has looked strong all year and Mentor has been coming on strong and is no slouch.

I think this is going to be a good game and would not be surprised if Mentor wins. But I haven't seen either team play and know nothing about their personnel.

Thank you!
Great win by Mentor over a very good Brush team. Maxpreps would not be a good indicator if you're going to Vegas and laying a bet. bbfan29 is right, never underestimate Mentor, especially if they are hitting the 3's. Going to be a great basketball game, but it should be, we are down to the final 16 in the state. Best of luck to my Eagles, cheering them on for a win.

What makes Mentor so hard to stop the 3 point shooters is the fact that all 5 of their starters can hit the 3 effectively. That being the case, you cannot double team any one of those players, for fear of giving the others very good looks. They can get their shots off so quickly with accuracy. It will be an interesting game among 2 of the best coaches in the state, Coach Flan with 500 wins & Coach Krizancic at 699. Good luck to both class programs.

Agree, even matchup all around. Both teams are capable of beating each other, but Ed’s has much more experience as an advantage.

Michael Bova of St Eds is by far the most accomplished player in this game. It doesn't sound like this is anywhere near the talent of a typical St Edward powerhouse, but the same is true for Mentor. Mentor's leading scorer is around 15 a game, which is a far cry from the kind of individual stars they often have when they reach this stage of the tournament. The Cards will rely on a balanced starting lineup, hoping to see all of them get in double figures. The Eagles had a much more successful regular season with a lot of big victories. Mentor is coming off an excellent win. Should be a good one.

In their last 11 game win streak, Mentor has had balanced scoring In double figures. I think defense will determine the winner of this game.

Michael Bova of St Eds is by far the most accomplished player in this game. It doesn't sound like this is anywhere near the talent of a typical St Edward powerhouse, but the same is true for Mentor. Mentor's leading scorer is around 15 a game, which is a far cry from the kind of individual stars they often have when they reach this stage of the tournament. The Cards will rely on a balanced starting lineup, hoping to see all of them get in double figures. The Eagles had a much more successful regular season with a lot of big victories. Mentor is coming off an excellent win. Should be a good one.
Accurate statement regarding the talent level of this St. Edward team. A number of good athletes, but only one D1-caliber college player in Bova. Not much size to speak of either. They do have some streaky shooters that can light it up on a good night, and they will probably need it on Friday if Mentor stays hot. Not having this game in the more cavernous Wolstein Center will probably be beneficial to both teams sharp-shooters.

To me, this has all the ear markings of a great game. Two great programs. Two great coaches. Both teams entering the season feeling their teams didn't quite compare to some of the recent teams from years past. Both teams maybe a little surprised they are here. But both teams right where they typically are, deep in the playoffs fighting for a shot at the Elite 8. Not too bad for "down years"!

Accurate statement regarding the talent level of this St. Edward team. A number of good athletes, but only one D1-caliber college player in Bova. Not much size to speak of either. They do have some streaky shooters that can light it up on a good night, and they will probably need it on Friday if Mentor stays hot. Not having this game in the more cavernous Wolstein Center will probably be beneficial to both teams sharp-shooters.
Jair Knight is a D1 commit (Marist) and definitely has D1 athleticism.

Jair Knight is a D1 commit (Marist) and definitely has D1 athleticism.
Wasn’t aware he committed anywhere. Agree about his athleticism. Serious hops. One of those guys I would have loved to see put on the pads and split out wide for the football team, a la Montorie Foster.

St. Ed's 69
Mentor 60
Mentor had 16 point lead (21-5) in 1st half
St. Ed's finishes the game on a 29-13 run
Bova led Eagles with 28

A hot start by Mentor while the Eagles were ice cold was a great way for Mentor to start. Unfortunately, the Eagles’ defensive pressure and Michael Bova on offense just overwhelmed Mentor. The Cards hit a couple late 3rd quarter free throws to go up 47-40 with a a little over minute left in the 3rd. That lead trimmed to three, Mentor turned the ball over on the first possession of the 4th to allow Eds to get within one. Once they got the lead, they never gave it up.

I expected Bova to be good. I had never seen him play though. He was much better than I even expected.

Congrats to Mentor for winning an unexpected district title and making St Eds sweat quite a bit tonight. They fought, just didn’t create enough good offensive possessions in the final 9-10 minutes of the game.

Great run by Mentor over the last 10 or so games. Every bit St. Ed’s equal tonight. The Eagles have made a habit out of stealing games this year and tonight was nothing different. It looked all Mentor for awhile. Like Mentor, this Ed’s team is not the usual group. There isn’t any huge D1 talent on Eds this year, but a team full of Bovas is one that can ultimately win big games. I still think centerville wins big on any team they play, but Eds seems to love the “lets play one more” mentality.

I can’t remember a worse start than the one we saw last night. This team has made several dramatic comebacks throughout the year, but to overcome the abysmal shooting from the floor (1-16 to start) was something we haven’t quite seen yet. Bova was the offensive catalyst as usual. He attacks the rim and finishes as well as any guard I’ve watched over the years. On the other side, Flan dialed up the defensive pressure which I think ultimately wore on a Mentor team that did not substitute much.

Moving on, the Eagles will take on another one of the hottest teams in NEO in Hoban. Like Mentor, they come in riding a double digit win streak. I think Bova will have to continue to put the team on his back. Just not any other guy on the roster who can consistently create his own shots. Eagle fans should enjoy Bova while we can, because I don’t know that there are any like him coming up through the ranks the next few years. Mentor on the other hand should be suited well next year with the Ioppolo’s and Biddell returning.

Congrats to St.Ed’s on a great victory over Mentor. Both teams played hard, but Ed’s defense in the second half was just too much for the young Cards to handle. Also thought the guard play of Ed’s performed better than Mentor’s, especially Bova, a great competior & leader. On the bright side for Mentor, I believe they are well prepared to reload & be very competitive next year, with Bidell & the Iopollo brothers forming the nucleus with some really good freshmen & sophs joining the group. Hats off to 2 quality & class coaches for a very entertaining game.

It was a tremendous game! Mentor always plays such a difficult style to defend, I think mentally coming back after they hit 3 after 3 throughout the game is really a testament to the resiliency St. Ed's has. Even with it, the game was close and came down to making a few key plays in the 4th quarter. Mentor took Ed's to the limit for sure.