Mentor Football 2022

I think Mentor is going to need more pressure to have any shot at beating a quality team going forward.

4 man line at Mentor works best which we've said for years. Coaches for some reason are stubborn to stick to 3

We then drop 6 or 7 and there are still holes all over. Guy or 2 camps in middle

If that's the case, why not bring more pressure to give the opposition less time to get open ?

Good luck with that, maybe they should watch the opponents they play and figure out how they seem to live in Mentors backfield
I've been on here many years saying how our DC sucks. Long before the parents of kids have started watching and seen it

Not much I can do about it, but I'll continue to state what should be done

How he has kept the job for as long is a big mystery. rush 3 and drop 8 and still get shredded?!?
You bash the staff but your rationale is comical. The offense was so good under Triv but sucks now? You’re aware Gray ran everything back then too right? And there is a MASSIVE lack of talent now comparative to other years. The coaches aren’t dropping a half dozen passes a game. They aren’t blowing protections, fumbling, missing tackles, getting beat in coverage, etc. are they doing a great job this year? No but to put it all on them is a joke. And no adjustments? Snow has been playing two ways for a couple weeks now. They only have a few decent athletes and Snow is their only top-level athlete
But you’re right…it’s all the coaches fault. Nobody else’s….

You bash the staff but your rationale is comical. The offense was so good under Triv but sucks now? You’re aware Gray ran everything back then too right? And there is a MASSIVE lack of talent now comparative to other years. The coaches aren’t dropping a half dozen passes a game. They aren’t blowing protections, fumbling, missing tackles, getting beat in coverage, etc. are they doing a great job this year? No but to put it all on them is a joke. And no adjustments? Snow has been playing two ways for a couple weeks now. They only have a few decent athletes and Snow is their only top-level athlete
But you’re right…it’s all the coaches fault. Nobody else’s….
For one he's talking about the defense. Same DC. Same mistakes

The offensive staff is not the same. They lost their genius QB coach and many OCs along the way to head coaching jobs. Wonder why the DC never got those offers ?

Mentor just played Medina in a fantastic ball game. I'm not sure why the negativity about Mentor and winning states is really all that matters. I disagree. Maybe with Triv and some of his stud teams. That goal has changed for this team. This group of kids/coaches would love nothing more than to make the region finals and beat Medina in the semi's. I'm pretty sure that would be an awesome accomplishment and those kids would be pumped to play Ed's in the region finals. As I'm sure most Mentor fans would as well considering how they have played most of the season.

Mentor just played Medina in a fantastic ball game. I'm not sure why the negativity about Mentor and winning states is really all that matters. I disagree. Maybe with Triv and some of his stud teams. That goal has changed for this team. This group of kids/coaches would love nothing more than to make the region finals and beat Medina in the semi's. I'm pretty sure that would be an awesome accomplishment and those kids would be pumped to play Ed's in the region finals. As I'm sure most Mentor fans would as well considering how they have played most of the season.
This Mentor team has the same opportunity as previous Mentor teams. Considering none have won a state championship. It is possible to enjoy Mentor high school football and not tear down coaches and players. Those who can't is just a bad reflection on their own character, not the teams.

It isn't "state championship or bust" for me with this team or any Mentor team anytime soon. For most of 2002-2020, that was the case. Those days are gone. Despite that, I would like to see them advance as far as possible. Getting the 3 seed (even though I find it unlikely) would give them a shot to win two, possibly three playoff games.

But if you asked Gray, the coaches, and the team on August 1 - what would they have said? Would they have said it's all about winning the state title or would they have had a different bar for success? If their goal is to win the state title, I think it is fair for the community, parents, students/fans, etc. to share in the same goal and vision.

This Mentor team has the same opportunity as previous Mentor teams. Considering none have won a state championship. It is possible to enjoy Mentor high school football and not tear down coaches and players. Those who can't is just a bad reflection on their own character, not the teams.
Who is tearing down players?

As for the coaches, maybe it is fair, maybe it isn't. Is it possible that some (parents, community, fans, etc.) want the players to have as good of an experience as possible? To learn to play the game the right way? To be led into experiencing success on and off the football field? Are we allowed to offer constructive criticism about coaches and their philosophies if we believe there is a better way to help the kids experience success? I think so. But feel free to disagree.

As for the coaches, maybe it is fair, maybe it isn't. Is it possible that some (parents, community, fans, etc.) want the players to have as good of an experience as possible? To learn to play the game the right way? To be led into experiencing success on and off the football field? Are we allowed to offer constructive criticism about coaches and their philosophies if we believe there is a better way to help the kids experience success? I think so. But feel free to disagree.
Read the same page of this thread.

I agree with everything you said, but that’s not the reality of what’s being said on here.

When you have a program that contended for state titles unlike riverside who has largely been a joke....the standards are higher

I'm not a state title or bust person as it may never happen. But I won't get super pumped to lose in the equivalent of the second round before the ohsaa butchered the perfect playoff system either

Many of us talking here have followed Mentor 25 or 30 years. Not sure that you can tell us anything

Agreed completely. The Riverside guy is making stuff up as usual. He can't point out specifics of tearing down players. I'm ripping the defensive coaching. Saying there is less talent on offense is about as far as many have gone and that's just reality though.

Can't be me he is talking about though right? Guy claims I'm on ignore yet he reads every post. Must need the interaction instead of talking to himself in the wrc thread.

There are things we've seen for over a decade that are never corrected. A person outside the fanbase like this guy wouldn't get it

Last edited:
Snow may sit out this week to preserve health. Dislocated his shoulder in week one and tore 75% of his labrum. The shoulder has been out a couple times since then.

Snow may sit out this week to preserve health. Dislocated his shoulder in week one and tore 75% of his labrum. The shoulder has been out a couple times since then.
Smart for anyone banged up to sit a week or 2. Strongsville and Euclid should be wins even with a few players out

That would be the "smart" move based on the injuries you've listed. He is a huge factor for Mentor and having him as healthy as possible would be wise.

You are a disgrace to Mentor anything. If you don't understand the fact why its better to be the 3 seed instead of the 4, there is no logic to explain and whats it all matter anyways, the crackpot coaching staff this school has will screw it all up anyways. How the mighty have fallen!
Do you have a son on the team?

Mentor giving a good old butt kicking tonight, a return to form. You guys have to be happy about this. Mentor is clearly getting better and at the right time.

Mentor giving a good old butt kicking tonight, a return to form. You guys have to be happy about this. Mentor is clearly getting better and at the right time.
I’m not there tonight, but there is nothing they could’ve done to Strongsville this year that would prove the team is getting better.

The offense had looked much better since Snow moved over to offense. That is true. The defense still wasn’t playing up to the expectations of the coaches, team, or anyone else that follows them closely.

I think they are right there with any team in Region 1 besides St Eds.

I’m not there tonight, but there is nothing they could’ve done to Strongsville this year that would prove the team is getting better.

The offense had looked much better since Snow moved over to offense. That is true. The defense still wasn’t playing up to the expectations of the coaches, team, or anyone else that follows them closely.

It's definitely encouraging they are doing what they should do to a bad Strongsville team. I'd put Medina in a class above us too but those are the only 2 I can't see us beating . Region 1 is very down

I would agree with you. But don't sell it short. Granted I listened on the radio when watching other games so I wasn't exactly paying attention, but it sounded like a Triv game, so I would tell Gray to feel good about this.

You never know what will happen in the playoffs.

Informational purposes only....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015-142023_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-142023_Chrome.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 26
To be honest, this team really only had one bad game. The 48 points give up to Clarkson was awful. This came a week after the offense got dominated against Riverside. But if the team played to their standard, beat Canada, and ended the season at 7-2…it would look better.

Heading into the season I predicted 8-1. I didn’t think Medina would be as good on offense as they were.

Finishing as the 3 seed would be pretty solid. If they can win 3 playoff games (including a rematch win against Ignatius or Medina), I would even call the season a success.

It's definitely encouraging they are doing what they should do to a bad Strongsville team. I'd put Medina in a class above us too but those are the only 2 I can't see us beating . Region 1 is very down
Fox and the o-line will be the key to beating Medina. Scotty can throw the outa the ball but he needs a little time. If that happens and Funk will blitz the Medina QB Mentor can very well beat Medina. Mentor gift wrapped 2 TD’s to Medina in the first mtg. If they take care of the football they should be able to beat Medina and I would go so far as to say they could beat them by a couple scores.

Fox and the o-line will be the key to beating Medina. Scotty can throw the outa the ball but he needs a little time. If that happens and Funk will blitz the Medina QB Mentor can very well beat Medina. Mentor gift wrapped 2 TD’s to Medina in the first mtg. If they take care of the football they should be able to beat Medina and I would go so far as to say they could beat them by a couple scores.
Medina had turnovers that helped Mentor as well. It's one sided to bring up Mentor mistakes but ignore the Medina ones.

I haven't seen the oline be consistent all year. Don't think that will change this late in the season. Relying on Funk to do anything intelligent after all these years of ineptitude is wishful thinking.

Also wishful thinking to me to say Mentor can beat Medina by a couple of scores. They played well in that game but it always seemed to me they were on the edge of going down a lot more. I actually think things broke well for Mentor to just lose by 14

I do think Mentor has a better shot at Medina over Eds but id be surprised if they beat either. As usual, I'll gladly be wrong if it means a Mentor win

Euclid game and first playoff game vs Lorain or Strongsville or Brunswick are pretty much exhibition games

2nd round could yield Jackson or an improving McKinley. Mentor should be favored. Was hoping for a fresh matchup with Wadsworth

Medina had turnovers that helped Mentor as well. It's one sided to bring up Mentor mistakes but ignore the Medina ones.

I haven't seen the oline be consistent all year. Don't think that will change this late in the season. Relying on Funk to do anything intelligent after all these years of ineptitude is wishful thinking.

Also wishful thinking to me to say Mentor can beat Medina by a couple of scores. They played well in that game but it always seemed to me they were on the edge of going down a lot more. I actually think things broke well for Mentor to just lose by 14

I do think Mentor has a better shot at Medina over Eds but id be surprised if they beat either. As usual, I'll gladly be wrong if it means a Mentor win
I realize Medina had turnovers as well. I’m sure you realize there’s a difference in forcing a turnover through good defensive play and being handed a turnover by horrific offensive play. My point was, Medina didn’t need to work real hard for a couple of theirs. I’m not sure what you see that makes you think Medina is that much better than Mentor. Both Defenses are poor and if you look at the stats Mentors offense was pretty much even with them in every category. The last meeting came down to timely turnovers. If Mentor doesn’t turn the ball over they can and probably will beat Medina. And both teams will likely get hammered by Ed’s. Medina is not nearly as good as you think they are.

To be honest, this team really only had one bad game. The 48 points give up to Clarkson was awful. This came a week after the offense got dominated against Riverside. But if the team played to their standard, beat Canada, and ended the season at 7-2…it would look better.

Heading into the season I predicted 8-1. I didn’t think Medina would be as good on offense as they were.

Finishing as the 3 seed would be pretty solid. If they can win 3 playoff games (including a rematch win against Ignatius or Medina), I would even call the season a success.
I know the goal is to win football games. They can be pretty sometimes and ugly sometimes. But the game I saw them play this year versus Riverside was BY FAR the worst game I have ever seen Mentor play. That was a bad game to me. No disrespect intended because they won. But if you were there you have to admit that was some bad football by Mentor. (IMHO). At least they have regrouped and clearly put themselves in a position to make some playoff noise.

I realize Medina had turnovers as well. I’m sure you realize there’s a difference in forcing a turnover through good defensive play and being handed a turnover by horrific offensive play. My point was, Medina didn’t need to work real hard for a couple of theirs. I’m not sure what you see that makes you think Medina is that much better than Mentor. Both Defenses are poor and if you look at the stats Mentors offense was pretty much even with them in every category. The last meeting came down to timely turnovers. If Mentor doesn’t turn the ball over they can and probably will beat Medina. And both teams will likely get hammered by Ed’s. Medina is not nearly as good as you think they are.
I think Eds is clearly better than both but yes I think Medina is a tier above Mentor. Their defense sucks but the offense is electric. I wouldn't call ours that even though Snow has improved it Medina won't win vs competent defensive teams but we aren't that.

I know the goal is to win football games. They can be pretty sometimes and ugly sometimes. But the game I saw them play this year versus Riverside was BY FAR the worst game I have ever seen Mentor play. That was a bad game to me. No disrespect intended because they won. But if you were there you have to admit that was some bad football by Mentor. (IMHO). At least they have regrouped and clearly put themselves in a position to make some playoff noise.
The Riverside game was a low point if Mentor offense, absolutely. The only saving grace was that the defense stepped up and played so well. I understand that Riverside isn’t Medina on offense, but they are scoring a bunch of points this season.

It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win.