Mentor Football 2022

In denial I see. Cant wait to watch the QB sit back there all day and do whatever he wants because Mentor rushes 3 the whole game. BTW, Ed's did alot more than rush 3 and drop 8, watch the game
No actually watching the games unlike you apparently. The offense scored 7 points against Riverside for God sakes. Defense gave up 6 so that was fine but luckily their kicker missed.

In the Ignatius game, Mentor scored enough to win barely and D kept them in it. Kid missed a chip shot fg in OT that would have won the game.

I've said for years the Mentor defense is poorly coached. That's still the case. But the offense has way less talent than the good Mentor teams and that's the issue .

You're a Johnny come lately on here. Probably a troll creating a new account which is why you signed up just before this season started up. Clearly not a Mentor fan as all your posts are negative and you have some grudge

Last edited:
In denial I see. Cant wait to watch the QB sit back there all day and do whatever he wants because Mentor rushes 3 the whole game. BTW, Ed's did alot more than rush 3 and drop 8, watch the game
I was at the game. After the long pass first Medina TD, it was all Ed's defense after that. Yes they mixed it up, but it was mainly the dominant front line. Period. Are you saying the Mentor QB is going to sit back there all day and do whatever he wants?? If so, why hasn't he done that all season? And lastly, in denial about what?

I give the Mentor kids a lot of credit. They came to play yesterday. They dug deep and didn't listen to anyone saying how they were down this year, didn't have the talent of the past, need better coaching and just went out there and left there guts on the field. As a coach you can't ask for anything more that that out of your players. Tons of credit to those young men and good luck to them in the playoffs.

After being at the Mentor-Medina game last night I was very impressed with Mentor even in a loss. Mentor kept coming back and coming back. I always thought that Jacob Snow was a great high school quarterback. After watching him last night I am more impressed with him as a total football player. He was a load after each of his receptions. Ran physically hard. It took many to bring him down. He was a punishing blocker on screen passes and other receptions by his teammates. He had the Medina coaches scrambling for ways to take him out of the Cardinal offensive game plan. He played truly inspirational.
Overall, it was an exciting game by two explosive offenses with a little hard-hitting defense mixed in.
I know that Medina would rather not have to face Mentor in the playoffs later this year but for high school football fans that would be fantastic.

After being at the Mentor-Medina game last night I was very impressed with Mentor even in a loss. Mentor kept coming back and coming back. I always thought that Jacob Snow was a great high school quarterback. After watching him last night I am more impressed with him as a total football player. He was a load after each of his receptions. Ran physically hard. It took many to bring him down. He was a punishing blocker on screen passes and other receptions by his teammates. He had the Medina coaches scrambling for ways to take him out of the Cardinal offensive game plan. He played truly inspirational.
Overall, it was an exciting game by two explosive offenses with a little hard-hitting defense mixed in.
I know that Medina would rather not have to face Mentor in the playoffs later this year but for high school football fans that would be fantastic.
Appreciate the kind words , but the Mentor offense isn't explosive. The Medina defense is just very bad. Thats being nice in saying it that way ...

Mentor defense is average or a little above. Medina offense is very good although not as good as when Allar wad running the show.

That led to the high scoring especially in the first half. Mentor moved the ball in the second half but a few plays cost them more points. Medina had some turnovers that took even more points away.

Mentor did play tough for their talent level but losing by 2 tds isn't an accomplishment. Medina has now won 2 in a row after never beating Mentor before that. Gotta find a way to get back into it instead of making that a trend.

I maintain what I said before. The talent level on offense for Mentor is under par compared to when they are good. The defense is average to a little above average compared to usual Mentor. Which unfortunately isn't saying a lot from 2004 on...

Ways to go but we gotta focus on winning the last 3 and getting the 6th seed or so

Medina’s defense is a far cry from last year. But their offense isn’t far behind the Allar-led one. Overall, Mentor’s offense looked good for the first time all season. The turnovers by Fox were a killer, but he looked better spreading the ball around. Having Snow on offense helps that side, but it noticeably weakens the defense.

Solon game this week is absolutely huge. This is a must-win. A loss here and the team is below .500 late in the season for the second straight year. That would be unacceptable this season considering the amount of experienced seniors returned.

Medina’s defense is a far cry from last year. But their offense isn’t far behind the Allar-led one. Overall, Mentor’s offense looked good for the first time all season. The turnovers by Fox were a killer, but he looked better spreading the ball around. Having Snow on offense helps that side, but it noticeably weakens the defense.

Solon game this week is absolutely huge. This is a must-win. A loss here and the team is below .500 late in the season for the second straight year. That would be unacceptable this season considering the amount of experienced seniors returned.
Likely the last time the two schools meet on the gridiron for awhile unless it's a scrimmage.

A team that gives up 52 points is not average or a little above! When you score 38 points on offense you better win 99% of your games, not lose by 2 touchdowns. Yet again, the defense cost another game
Really the first game this year you can make the argument for the defense causing the loss. Didn't cost the team vs Riverside or Iggy. And the Medina offense is explosive

Again I've said the defense has been bad for many years. But we were still contending with all those issues.

The difference this year is the offense is way below what a typical Mentor offense has been previously under Triv. The Medina defense was pathetic so that also led to them looking better last Friday.

Dude, they gave up 48 to a team from Canada! Again, not something an average to above average defense does!
Did you attend either game ?

Canada had some late scoring to make it look worse than it was after Mentor took chances. Was a tight game which Mentor led plenty until then. But yes the performance was still pathetic for the team overall. Offense wasn't anything special that game either

Dude the defense has been an issue for over a decade. Mentor still competed for state titles. They are down more now because the offense is way below par. The offense made up for those deficiencies before

I've watched Mentor for 30 plus years and actually went there. I don't need a troll who didn't go there and registered under a new user name in August to tell me anything.

Edit :. Every single one of your posts are in this thread after you registered in August of this year. They are all negative too. You clearly have an agenda against Mentor. Need to move on to something more constructive instead of hating on a team of 15-18 year old kids

Last edited:
The point is how many games are the people in charge going to allow the defense to cost this program, it cost Triv state titles and now this. Yes Ive been to every game, I dont care when they scored them, you gave up 48 to a team of football players that the only reason they are playing football is because they stink at hockey. Again when you score 28 and 38 points in game, you better win them 99% of the time. Think about this one, Mentor rushed 3 the whole game and even 2 at times Friday, basically defending 5 with 8 or 9. You cant let a QB just sit back there and have all day to throw.
I doubt someone who hates Mentor like you clearly do took the time to travel to Medina. If you truly have someone on the team you support , I feel bad for the kid if you talk like this to them. These are kids. You need some perspective. It isn't life .

You only post on this thread and complain. Shows me an agenda.

Yep thats my agenda. Put your kids in position to be successful and that isn't being done here
Creating an account in August and posting all 50 of your posts in one thread . The Mentor team thread where you are nothing but negative in hating on the program

Go follow your alma mater and post about them. You need to get a life for concentrating so much on a program you hate and clearly hold a grudge against at the fricken high school level 😂

Solon week is upon us. Hoping they will continue to play us after leaving the GCC for the Suburban League.

They have Hudson , Stow and Twinsburg nonconference which become league games so the ball is in their court. I know Mentor will want it to continue

I wasn't paying that much attention but I did have the stream on and was following the game on Friday and the one thing that stuck out to me was how good Snow was as a playmaker on offense. Yes, it weakened the defense but was probably the move that had to be made because him and Fox on the offensive side of the ball gives them a lot of wrinkles they can add to that unit if they stick with it.

Ed's and Medina again look like the top two teams in R1 and with Medina's offense being prolific once again and the likelyhood they can beat Ed's in a low scoring slugfest is pretty low. So, they may just have to go back to what Mentor has done best over the years and try to outscore opponents. From what I saw, they could definitely outscore Medina in a potential rematch. Ed's is another story but if they were to meet, it would be at the point of the season where Snow may have to play ironman football and never leave the field.

The other thing that stuck out is I don't recall seeing much of an impact from Vernon. Some of that may be on him, but it didn't seem like the defensive coaching staff did him any favors with rushing 3-4 and letting Medina's offensive line focus on him. He may not be that unstoppable 5-star force that he was once being billed as but with his size and speed, should be able to cause havoc if they can free him up on 1-on-1 situations, especially against an offense like Medina's. Maybe sending 5 or 6 opens up more passing lanes, but Medina still had receivers open all game with Mentor dropping 7 and 8. They have too many WR weapons for teams to drop in coverage all game long and giving Stoddard time to see the field and find whichever one gets free. Sending five and six may get you beat but at least make Stoddard a little uncomfortable in the pocket.

2 fumbles one resulting in defensive touchdown and 2 interceptions by QB1did not help matters. The game was much closer than score reflected. I also agree rushing 3 all night did nothing but allow him to sit back and toss dimes

2 fumbles one resulting in defensive touchdown and 2 interceptions by QB1did not help matters. The game was much closer than score reflected. I also agree rushing 3 all night did nothing but allow him to sit back and toss dimes
We cant talk about the offense though. It's all about the defense ...

Medina turned the ball over as well so they left points on the board too though. I think the two TD margin is about how much better they are than Mentor this year

The other thing that stuck out is I don't recall seeing much of an impact from Vernon. Some of that may be on him, but it didn't seem like the defensive coaching staff did him any favors with rushing 3-4 and letting Medina's offensive line focus on him. He may not be that unstoppable 5-star force that he was once being billed as but with his size and speed, should be able to cause havoc if they can free him up on 1-on-1 situations, especially against an offense like Medina's. Maybe sending 5 or 6 opens up more passing lanes, but Medina still had receivers open all game with Mentor dropping 7 and 8. They have too many WR weapons for teams to drop in coverage all game long and giving Stoddard time to see the field and find whichever one gets free. Sending five and six may get you beat but at least make Stoddard a little uncomfortable in the pocket.
Size and strength, yes. Speed, I don't know about that. He's never shown the burst or quickness off the edge to be considered an elite pass rushing type (at least not any time I have seen him). He's at his best blowing up the opposing run game, fighting off blocks at the LOS and scraping down the line to take away running lanes. That's not to say he shouldn't put in better position to rush the passer, but it's not his forte.

Remember Fox is only a sophomore. He had to go against Medina with the same line that was used against Brunswick, which had a Sophomore undersized Left Tackle starting his second ever game and also a good Freshman starting his second game. Fox did have two picks one was in the red zone and the defense stopped their drive after it so it didnt hurt, but the other was at the end of the game trying to just hit a home run. The first fumble was on him for not holding onto the ball on a broken play run. The second ( Strip sack/Score) was a blitz where three guys were on him as soon as he caught the snap. He took a beating back there all game but got up every time and kept fighting. I understand if this was a close game where the defense was out there for most of the game blaming the QB's turnovers but Mentor scored 38 points and gave up 53. The kid is a 15 yr old Sophomore who threw over 500 yds and had 5 td passes on 37 completions and 53 attempts. He has now thrown 250+ yds over the past 3 games and has thrown for 5 td's the past two. So not quite sure what else the kid can do. Yes he is going to throw interceptions and have fumbles but that is part of the learning process.

These people on here saying the offense isn't a triv offense is right, because triv retired. There are going to be growing pains, look at triv's record over his first couple of years coaching. I was at the high school for those years and trust me it was not pretty. Give them some slack, Grey will find his type of coaching.

Also remember CTE was a big thing with parents allowing kids to play when a lot of these sophomores and Juniors were in their first and second year of playing tackle. A lot of kids were not allowed to play due to the fears of it. But once that died down more kids were allowed and you can see from the size of our freshman class.

Mentor will be fine. Just have a little faith and have fun watching them play win or lose.
Easier said than done for some of the Mentor fans on here. They have zero self-awareness on a public forum, even when discussing kids.

Easier said than done for some of the Mentor fans on here. They have zero self-awareness on a public forum, even when discussing kids.
Serious question. Why are you still here ? You don't know anything about the Mentor program and are turning into a troll.

You don't see us trolling through your wrc thread where you largely talk to yourself. I know it hurts that your school couldn't get it done in their best season ever vs one of our worst teams in 20 years. Big gut check there causing your bitterness.

We also have more expectations than a school like yours that has only won a couple of playoff games in their history

Worry about your own program and go talk to your league members. If they still want to talk to a far left idiot like you

You must be talking about others since you supposedly ignore my posts though. Sure buddy lol ...

I actually have a serious question. I see you on here all of the time fighting with what you deem as trolls. But once you are done with them I only see you bashing the Mentor program. I have never seen you say anything good about them. I understand you like the program as you said you went there and played. But so have a lot of other people on here. Have you coached any kind of football? Do you know what kind of commitment it takes to be a football coach. I have coach youth in a few different sports but football is by far the hardest. I couldn't even imagine having to be a Mentor coach. Not only do you have 140+ kids to watch out for, you have all of their families to keep happy along with the community. You are bound by the kind of kids you get each year being a public school so they are not always going to be a home run. These coaches and kids work year round. Some of them are working on football along with other sports at the same time. All I see you doing is bashing the program and Im sorry but you aren't close enough to the program to understand what is going on. You may have friends of kids who play but you and I dont know the whole story year in and out. You are entitled to your own opinion of course but you claim to be a huge fan and do nothing but bash them. I get so confused because I see you say the offense is sub par the defense is sub par. You even say this after wins. But then as soon as another person who you deem to be a troll says it you are all over them. How about supporting the team if you are such a huge fan instead of attacking them non stop. These kids and coaches put so many hours in away from their families and friends to try to put a good product on the field. To see you bashing them for doing that doesnt make you a fan it actually makes you a troll in my opinion.
No I didn't play. Yes I did go there.

I've been here since 2007. You joined in 2021. Maybe you missed plenty but I'm just honest.

I rip the defensive coaches plenty because our DC has sucked for plenty of years and the same issues happen year after year after year. Same as kickoff coverage.

I'll compliment the team plenty when they are doing things correctly. So no I don't just rip the team. I defend them plenty in other areas and from guys like the Riverside fan who has no life.

All of the stuff you said on not being close enough to the program can be said right back at you. You can have your opinions and so can I.

I think Gray is torpedoing the program. I'm not going to trash them at all times but I'm also not going to be a homer as you appear to be who will be all glitter and unicorns and not call it like it is with what you see.

Your rationale would be like me saying , you can't bash the Browns or other NFL teams. You didn't play pro football. Yet many like you I'm sure can see the games and know enough to judge what is happening.

If you can't see the bad parts of the Mentor program , then you have your head in the sand. The issue is Gray isn't improving any negatives while making the program worse in former positive areas.

And for the record , the kids see worse from their own coach . I saw him berate a kid on the sideline three different times for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Brunswick. I get doing it once and harshly. Gotta teach the kid. He did it two other times ....

After seeing that, he lost my respect and I can see why some players quit or chose not to play for him

Last edited:
I actually have a serious question. I see you on here all of the time fighting with what you deem as trolls. But once you are done with them I only see you bashing the Mentor program. I have never seen you say anything good about them. I understand you like the program as you said you went there and played. But so have a lot of other people on here. Have you coached any kind of football? Do you know what kind of commitment it takes to be a football coach. I have coach youth in a few different sports but football is by far the hardest. I couldn't even imagine having to be a Mentor coach. Not only do you have 140+ kids to watch out for, you have all of their families to keep happy along with the community. You are bound by the kind of kids you get each year being a public school so they are not always going to be a home run. These coaches and kids work year round. Some of them are working on football along with other sports at the same time. All I see you doing is bashing the program and Im sorry but you aren't close enough to the program to understand what is going on. You may have friends of kids who play but you and I dont know the whole story year in and out. You are entitled to your own opinion of course but you claim to be a huge fan and do nothing but bash them. I get so confused because I see you say the offense is sub par the defense is sub par. You even say this after wins. But then as soon as another person who you deem to be a troll says it you are all over them. How about supporting the team if you are such a huge fan instead of attacking them non stop. These kids and coaches put so many hours in away from their families and friends to try to put a good product on the field. To see you bashing them for doing that doesnt make you a fan it actually makes you a troll in my opinion.
Also the guy who liked your post ironically was just saying the coaches never play younger guys . Me and cardz gave examples disputing that and asked him to support his position. He threw a fit and said he won't post anymore ...

So yeah that was defending the program against what I think can easily be proven false. And asking for examples to defend his position wasnt out of this world either

Also the guy who liked your post ironically was just saying the coaches never play younger guys . Me and cardz gave examples disputing that and asked him to support his position. He threw a fit and said he won't post anymore ...

So yeah that was defending the program against what I think can easily be proven false. And asking for examples to defend his position wasnt out of this world either
I liked his post because of what he said, yes. I like that he pointed out your constant negativity, the know it all nature of your posts, and the overall angry approach that you take.

You said all that you needed to say in your response to him. You never played the game - instant disqualification to comment about what it takes. Also, you're too far from the program to say anything more than anyone else on here. You are a troll, plain and simple and this guy called it.

And now I know you'll attack me and give all of your supporting evidence...whatever, you're a bum.

Glad to see the worst of them called out from true Card fans. Not those who are developmentally stuck and zero ability to adjust their expectations for the KIDS and the program.