Mentor Football 2022

I don't really care about your trolling posts man. You need to get a life. We already saw with the GCC talk that you aren't plugged in and have no knowledge to speak about Mentor.

Actual people who know the program , please share some names to look out for
Could there be a quarterback contest brewing? Who will be in the backfield to run and protect the quarterback. Is there going to be any kind of talent in the offensive line? Defense will be very solid, good line backers and defensive line. Will Vernon be moved in?

Could there be a quarterback contest brewing? Who will be in the backfield to run and protect the quarterback. Is there going to be any kind of talent in the offensive line? Defense will be very solid, good line backers and defensive line. Will Vernon be moved in?
I would be surprised if this was a true QB battle from the start. Yes, Snow didn’t have the kind of season many (including him) expected. Some of that was due to injury. But let’s see how his senior year goes. I think he deserves the full reigns until proven otherwise.

Vernon keeps getting bigger. More important than being inside or outside is whether or not Funk/Gray will change to a 4 man front. This will likely not change.

I keep going back to the season hinges on three people - the leader of the program (Gray), the leader of the offense (Snow), and the leader of the defense (Vernon). If these three can do their jobs at a high level, a lot of other things will fall into place.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if this was a true QB battle from the start. Yes, Snow didn’t have the kind of season many (including him) expected. Some of that was due to injury. But let’s see how his senior year goes. I think he deserves the full reigns until proven otherwise.

Vernon keeps getting bigger. More important than being inside or outside is whether or not Funk/Gray will change to a 4 man front. This will likely not change.

I keep going back to the season hinges on three people - the leader of the program (Gray), the leader of the offense (Gray), and the leader of the defense (Vernon). If these three can do their jobs at a high level, a lot of other things will fall into place.
Think you meant Snow for the leader of the offense , but I got your point.

4 man front with Vernon in the middle would be nice. He will be playing there in college anyways.

If Mentor can avoid the plague of injuries that they endured last season I believe they can put together an impressive season. The defense is going to be really tough, even without factoring Vernon in. There are some very capable offensive players who will keep opposing defenses on their toes. Its going to be exciting to see.

Staying healthy will certainly be key. Mentor may not have a tougher schedule as they’ve had in the past, but there still are not a whole lot of off weeks. Attrition could be the difference in wearing down the skilled players and winning games against smaller schools like Canton McKinley, Riverside, and Solon.

Staying healthy will certainly be key. Mentor may not have a tougher schedule as they’ve had in the past, but there still are not a whole lot of off weeks. Attrition could be the difference in wearing down the skilled players and winning games against smaller schools like Canton McKinley, Riverside, and Solon.
Certainly not a bad schedule. I know we substituted Riverside instead of scheduling a solid or great D1 team to downgrade it some, but couldn't pass up a local public school

Couldn't find anyone for weeks 4 and 5 who would play one year at home or move weeks next year with heights and shaker coming in. Also North Allegheny in PA slithered out of the 2 year deal in week 4 to come to Mentor this year after we went there last year

So we got Canada and st Francis. Transition year.

Last edited:
Wow surprised he got a D1 offer that fast. Congrats to him though!
More to come, kid has talent and is doing a lot of QB camps this summer. He is the next great Mentor QB. Personally I think they should play Snow at WR and let Fox run the show this way both are on the field and Mentor has one more playmaker on field.

What a brilliant statement “staying healthy will be key”. Brilliant just brilliant!! No, Mentor is the only program in Ohio that needs good health to be successful this fall. You also left out “They will need to put points on the scoreboard this year and play solid defense”.

More to come, kid has talent and is doing a lot of QB camps this summer. He is the next great Mentor QB. Personally I think they should play Snow at WR and let Fox run the show this way both are on the field and Mentor has one more playmaker on field.
Good for Fox if this is true. Is Snow now regretting his transfer from Chardon to Mentor specifically for football purposes? If he’s not the starting QB this upcoming season I would have to think so. Hopefully @MentorGrad2002 doesn’t take this post as trolling, I’m just curious as to what Snows’ feelings would be if this played out.

What a brilliant statement “staying healthy will be key”. Brilliant just brilliant!! No, Mentor is the only program in Ohio that needs good health to be successful this fall. You also left out “They will need to put points on the scoreboard this year and play solid defense”.
Let me be clearer. Not all team rosters have the depth Mentor does each year ?

Good for Fox if this is true. Is Snow now regretting his transfer from Chardon to Mentor specifically for football purposes? If he’s not the starting QB this upcoming season I would have to think so. Hopefully @MentorGrad2002 doesn’t take this post as trolling, I’m just curious as to what Snows’ feelings would be if this played out.
I have to think you guys fared just fine in your QB play and we’re in fact better off in that department. I’m not sure that if he had stayed at Chardon he’s beat out your current QB. I’d say based on results things worked out perfect for you guys.

Didn't his family buy a house in Mentor when he moved as a sophomore? If so that's not just for football. People move.

Chardon kids move in or out too. Kid who grew up with me and lived across the street moved from Mentor to Chardon during high school . No public school has stagnant population for a whole 12-13 years for a graduating class ...

I say may the best guy play. But Mentor usually will let the senior play unless he falters big time. Playing QB at the D1 level on a wide open passing team is a different challenge than D3 on Chardon too to say the least .

I'm also not one to dwell on kids leaving and hoping they fail. I cheered Kareem Hunt to do well at south along with other guys. Still at public schools and they are teens. This isn't the pros for God sakes.

Snow only played one game as a sophomore when Kipp got hit with covid tracing. He played very well considering the circumstances. Last year he got hurt along with a ton of Mentor guys in probably the most injury ravaged year we've had in a couple of decades. So we will see

Last edited:
If Snow’s only concern is/was high school football legacy, then yes he probably is playing the “what if” game as his former team has won back to back titles. But he still has one more year to grab some success and I hope he can do it. If not, there is a very capable QB waiting behind him.

No matter which QB is used, neither will have the type of weapons as last year with the speedy and play making combo of Harper/Norwood. I’m sure this years starters will be solid, but I would be pretty surprised if the top two are as good as 2021.

With the news of the D1 offer for Fox, what are everyone's thoughts on the QB position for this fall? Looking briefly at their hudl highlights it looks like Snow is more willing to move in the pocket and make plays on his feet whereas Fox likes to sit in the pocket, make the read, and fire the ball to the receiver. Could it be a situation like 2010 with Wallace/Trubisky where the young guy takes more QB responsibility as the year goes on while the veteran moves to WR?

Play the sophomore right now!! He is the future; this is a 7-3 team at best with a second or third round playoff knockout. Might as well play for development right now!!

I hope they give Snow the benefit of the doubt and give him the first team reps in practice and scrimmages. But I would like to see Fox get some reps with the starters in the scrimmages. I think this is Snow’s job to lose, that is the fair thing. Last year was not great, but he was dealing with an injury. I am hopeful that another full off-season of work and a healthy 2022 will showcase the potential seem in Snow from that 2020 state semifinal game.

Fox’s best game (statistically) was the best game out of the QB position all year. He threw for over 400 yards and 5 TD’s. It is worth noting that the opponent was the equivalent of an AAU team. All flash and hype, but little discipline. Still, for a freshman QB that was incredibly impressive. Football North had several guys on defense that are going to play college football.

Scotty has put on about 20 pounds, up to 185, but Snow still has 20 pounds on him. They are going to need Snow's rushing yards this season.

Scotty has put on about 20 pounds, up to 185, but Snow still has 20 pounds on him. They are going to need Snow's rushing yards this season.
That is something I definitely think will matter. Even though Snow didn’t use his legs a lot last season, it will be a big advantage if he proves to be the more capable runner. A running QB is a great equalizer when you are outmanned. If Scotty isn’t an effective or willing runner but Snow is, that could be the difference. Snow didn’t really demonstrate a willingness to run. Then again, neither did Kipp as a senior compared to his sophomore and junior seasons. Is this merely a shift in offensive philosophy under Gray as compared to Triv?

That is something I definitely think will matter. Even though Snow didn’t use his legs a lot last season, it will be a big advantage if he proves to be the more capable runner. A running QB is a great equalizer when you are outmanned. If Scotty isn’t an effective or willing runner but Snow is, that could be the difference. Snow didn’t really demonstrate a willingness to run. Then again, neither did Kipp as a senior compared to his sophomore and junior seasons. Is this merely a shift in offensive philosophy under Gray as compared to Triv?
Snow was definitely not a big weapon running the ball in the past. Not sure how much the broken thumb factored into it. His thumb wasn't 100% when he returned last year after Fox got hurt. I think Gray was trying to protect both QBs as much as possible last year with all of the injuries. I don't know if Fox ran the ball at all. Snow had a couple nice runs vs McKinley early in the season, but his average yards per rush wasn't that great. Maybe Scotty will eventually become an effective running QB, but getting thrown into the fire as a freshman, it was hard to say. He definitely showed that he has the arm talent however. I think that Snow will begin the season as the starter, but Gray won't be afraid to switch to Fox if Snow struggles.

Arbiter still has Buffalo St Francis in week 5 but it says cancelled next to it. Is this true and if so what is the plan ?

Arbiter still has Buffalo St Francis in week 5 but it says cancelled next to it. Is this true and if so what is the plan ?
I wonder if that got listed there from the North Allegheny cancellation. It also lists the game vs St. Ignatius as 8/26. I believe that game will be on Saturday, 8/27.

I wonder if that got listed there from the North Allegheny cancellation. It also lists the game vs St. Ignatius as 8/26. I believe that game will be on Saturday, 8/27.
Possible but that cancellation wasn't on there previously. And I'm talking after NA was removed. NA was also week 4 and not week 5

I didn't notice the Ignatius thing but wish it was right. Browns have a preseason game August 27 and I have season tickets