Men's OLY Freestyle

bdhof

"T" minus 12 days for Mens FS. While this is likely a one team race w/ RUS dominating things, KAZ could make things interesting w/ 5 seeds, the same as RUS. In the days of the USSR, KAZ would be RUS's JV squad. It would take a perfect performance by USA to stay close to RUS, like getting 4 or 5 medals and hoping RUS slips up at a weight or two. Even then, RUS probably beats the field. Actually I think all 5 of team USA could medal, but several are just as likely not to.

Like I did w/ the women, the following is a list of the main contenders at each weight. These were determined by looking at the seeds, returning world medalists (2019), and other entries from USA who didn't meet the first two criteria (4 of the 5 team members). I included accomplishments from each world tournament since 2016 (both 2016 OLY and non-OLY weight world championships). I'm sure I'm missing some stars who will medal or maybe even win it. This is just my list which follows the criteria that I set up. Feel free to add names.

Seeds, Returning World medalists, + USA - 2019 - 2018 - 2017 - 2016 OLY - 2016 WC

57kg - - - - -
No. 1 Stevan Andria MICIC (SRB) - 5 - X - X - X - X
No. 2 Zavur UGUEV (RUS) - 1 - 1 - 23 - X - X
No. 3 Suleyman ATLI (TUR)* - 2 - 3 - ? - ? - ?
No. 4 Kumar RAVI (IND)* - 3 - ? - ? - ? - ?
Thomas Patrick GILMAN (USA) - X - 5 - 2 - X - X
Nurislam SANAYEV (KAZ) - 3 - 2 - 12 - 12 - X

65kg - - - - -
No. 1 Gadzhimurad RASHIDOV (RUS) - 1 - 2 - 2 - X - X
No. 2 Bajrang BAJRANG (IND)* - 3 - 2 - ? - ? - ?
No. 3 Daulet NIYAZBEKOV (KAZ) - 2 - 13 - 7 - - 14
No. 4 Iszmail MUSZUKAJEV (HUN) - 3 - X - X - X - X
Magomedmurad GADZHIEV (POL) - 3 - 15 - 2 - 16 - X

74kg - - - - -
No. 1 Frank CHAMIZO MARQUEZ (ITA) - 2 - 5 - 1 - 3 - X
No. 2 Daniyar KAISANOV (KAZ) - 3 - X - X - X - X
No. 3 Zaurbek SIDAKOV (RUS) - 1 - 1 - X - X - X
No. 4 Mostafa Mohabbali HOSSEINKHANI (IRI) - X - 13 - 8 - X - 3
Kyle Douglas DAKE (USA) - 1 - 1 - X - X - X

86kg - - - - -
No. 1 Hassan AliazamYAZDANICHARATI (IRI) - 1 - 3 - 1 - 1 - X
No. 2 Deepak PUNIA (IND) - 2 - X - X - X - X
No. 3 Myles Nazem AMINE (SMR) - 5 - X - X - X - X
No. 4 Artur NAIFONOV (RUS) - 3 - X - X - X - X
David Morris TAYLOR III (USA) - X - 1 - X - X - X
Stefan REICHMUTH (SUI) - 3 - 15 - X - X - X

97kg - - - - -
No. 1 Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - X
No. 2 Kyle Frederick SNYDER (USA) - 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 - X
No. 3 Alisher YERGALI (KAZ) - 5 - X - X - X - X
No. 4 Magomedgadji NUROV (MKD) - 3 - 13 - 10 - X - X
Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE) - 2 - 18 - X - 3 - X

125kg - - - - -
No. 1 Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO) - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3 - X
No. 2 Yusup BATIRMURZAEV (KAZ) - 3 - X - X - X - X
No. 3 Taha AKGUL (TUR) - 2 - 7 - 2 - 1 - X
No. 4 Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI (UKR) - 3 - 20 - X - X - X
Gable Dan STEVESON (USA) - X - X - X - X - X

*Incomplete data on these wrestlers

Last edited:

At 57kg, we know that Gilman can medal because he's done it, although it's been a while. I think UGUEV (RUS) is the heavy favorite here, but after him this isn't a packed weight. And how in the world did Micic get the #1 seed? If Gilman gets drawn into the top half w/ Micic, his chances oto medal are pretty good IMO.

Team USA will sit back and watch 65kg and RUS is a solid favorite again w/ RASHIDOV. And yes, we could start a dedicated thread on who to blame for not Q'ing the weight, but the bottom line is that we didn't have anyone good enough to Q the weight in two chances (Zain and JO). And Yanni wasn't good enough to get in the competition to try to Q the weight.

I think 74kg is a 3 man show, w/ No. 1 CHAMIZO (ITA), No. 3 SIDAKOV (RUS), and unseeded DAKE (USA) having won 5 world titles among them. Dake will have to beat both of them as he is a random draw. Chamizo and Sidakov are hoping Dake goes to the other half. If I'm picking someone, it's Dake.

Last edited:
Micic wrestles all fs tournaments. It is crazy though. Hopefully that brings out all wrestlers to those events, because he very well could have a decent path to the finals

At 57kg, we know that Gilman can medal because he's done it, although it's been a while. I think UGUEV (RUS) is the heavy favorite here, but after him this isn't a packed weight. And how in the world did Micic get the #1 seed? If Gilman gets drawn into the top half w/ Micic, his chances oto medal are pretty good IMO.
Uguev definite favorite. Micic had enough UWW points for the top seed. Japan has some guys that are going to place.
LETS GO USA!!!

86kg is probably 3 deep w/ No. 1 YAZDANICHARATI (IRI), No. 2 Deepak PUNIA (IND) and Taylor (if he's close to 100%). If he's healthy, it would be hard to pick someone other than Taylor, altho YAZ has had an incredible run over the last 4 years, w/ his only loss to Taylor in the 2018 worlds.

SADULAEV is a solid favorite at 97kg, altho Snyder has beaten him. Snyder seemed to have plateaued since his last world title in 2017, altho still among the best in the world. We'll see if the change in scenery has improved his game any. I think SHARIFOV is the other really good guy at this weight, and he's a random draw. And there's at least one other dangerous guy, in MOHAMMADIAN (IRI), a guy who pummeled Snyder last year (8-0 and then pinned him) and not listed on my list above.

The guy to beat at 125kg is PETRIASHVILI (GEO), who has won the last 3 world titles. And the last guy to beat him is Akgul (TUR), who happens to be the defending OLY champ. Other than these two, I think Steveson can go w/ anyone. And I wouldn't be shocked to see him beat one of these two, but would have to beat both to win a gold. That's unlikely. I think Steveson is as good of a technician and athlete as any of them, amybe better, and faster than any of them. I'm just not sure he's big enough, at about 240, to beat the world class elite heavies. Akgul is listed at about 270 and Petri at 265.

OK, while I counted out team USA for the team title, here's my "Wait until Hunter gets back" scenario. USA gets 5 medals - Silver for Gillman as he draws the top bracket, Gold for Dake, beating SIDAKOV in the semis and knocking him to a bronze, Taylor shows he's healthy as ever and thumps the field for a Gold, Snyder dodges some early bullets and gets a Silver behind the Russian Tank, and Steveson loses to the best but still gets a bronze. That's 105 pts. RUS wins 57 and 65, settles for a bronze at 74, doesn't place at 86 (4 seed), wins 97 and fails to place at 125. That's 90 for Russia. I'm not betting the house, but it's not completely pie in the sky (altho perhaps 90% pie in the sky).

Initial thoughts on some weights:

57kg- Uguev has to be a huge favorite here. There are guys who can beat him on their best day, but nobody can beat Uguev on his best day. Along with your list, do not count out Yuki Takahashi from Japan, the 2017 World Champ (over Gilman) and the home nation representative.

65kg- Think Rashidov is a nice little favorite here, but would be less surprised if he loses than Uguev. India's Bajrang Punia, Hungary's Muszukajev, Japan's Otoguro, Azerbaijan's Haji Aliev, and Poland's Gadzhiev are all strong wrestlers when they get on a roll. If Muszukajev had any sort of stamina he would be the best wrestler in the world.

74kg- Three person race, and to be honest I think it's a two person race. Sidakov and Dake are 1/2 in some order, and I think Chamizo is actually #3. Nobody besides them will win.

84kg- David Taylor if he is healthy will win. Hassan Yazdani will win if he is not. I guess Punia (India) and Naifonov (Russia) are the next two guys here, but nobody is beating Yazdani besides DT.

97kg- Y'all are going to get super mad at me, but I don't think Kyle Snyder will win gold. In fact, I think it's more likely that Snyder doesn't medal than wins gold. Not only is Sadulaev looming over the bracket, but Mohammadian of Iran beat up Kyle last time they wrestled and looked much better and Sharifov (the old man!) beat him two years ago.

125kg- Here's another hot take- neither Petriashvili or Akguel will win the gold medal. I'm taking either Gable or Iran's Amir Zare, both of which are very young and primed to take over the old guard. I'd be shocked if anyone of those four don't win.

Interesting fact- In 2016 nobody won a second Olympic gold medal. Asgarov (and Ghasemi, although he won gold years after 2012) took silver, Sharifov took bronze, Burroughs DNP'd, and Otarsultanov/Yonemitsu/Varner didn't wrestle. This year, we have returning champs Yazdani, Sadulaev, Snyder, and Akgul wrestling and all could win gold, while Sharifov is back in medal contention as well. It's tough to stay on top for more than a year or two.

Last edited:
OK, while I counted out team USA for the team title, here's my "Wait until Hunter gets back" scenario. USA gets 5 medals - Silver for Gillman as he draws the top bracket, Gold for Dake, beating SIDAKOV in the semis and knocking him to a bronze, Taylor shows he's healthy as ever and thumps the field for a Gold, Snyder dodges some early bullets and gets a Silver behind the Russian Tank, and Steveson loses to the best but still gets a bronze. That's 105 pts. RUS wins 57 and 65, settles for a bronze at 74, doesn't place at 86 (4 seed), wins 97 and fails to place at 125. That's 90 for Russia. I'm not betting the house, but it's not completely pie in the sky (altho perhaps 90% pie in the sky).
While I referenced the team title, I believe that they don't keep team scores in wrestling. Altho, I do think some wrestling nerds do keep score using the world wrestling championship team scores. So, any title here is unofficial.

While I referenced the team title, I believe that they don't keep team scores in wrestling. Altho, I do think some wrestling nerds do keep score using the world wrestling championship team scores. So, any title here is unofficial.
There is no official team title for the Olympics. But I guarantee Team USA will let people know if they score higher than Russia lol

Found this in another site. Thought it was pretty good stuff.

Mike Grey writes:

Konnichiwa!

Coming to you all from Hotel Hanasarasa in Nakatsugawa, Japan! USA wrestling has done a great job providing the entire delegation with a great acclimation situation. The hotel has a beautiful backdrop at the base of a mountain with many hiking trails and a stream running through the property. We are approximately 20 minutes from our training hall which has 4 mats, a weight room, cold tubs, and a basketball court (which has already seen some great battles and not so great skill). Although we have not been able to explore, we are still able to experience some of the Japanese culture. Our presence in the city seems to been very well received by the locals, as they have lined the streets to cheer and wave on our way to practice. Students made signs and it seemed as if everyone took a break from their day to ensure we felt their support. Our meals have been very fun and accommodating for the athletes. The hotel has provided a mix of American staples for those with a more regimented diet, as well as customary Japanese cuisine for lunch and dinner. I’m typically not a big sushi guy but if I’m going to eat sushi, it may as well be while I’m in Japan! The menu has also included shrimp tempura, local beef, local salads, Japanese stir-fry, and lots of rice!

Essentially, we have not wanted for a single thing since walking through the door.

We arrived in Tokyo on Sunday July 18th at 4PM. It was a smooth flight but lasted a hefty 12 hours. Once we arrived and prior to leaving the airport, we had to complete a COVID test, obtain our credentials, move through customs, and claim our bags. We had been hearing stories of this process taking upwards of six hours. We were fortunate enough to only experience it for three. Nice! Once we cleared the airport, our delegation (comprised of 61 total) loaded up on three charter busses and headed to Nakatsugawa. The trip was scheduled to take four hours, but ended up being five after having to make a few stops. We finally arrived at 1AM on Monday July 19th making the total travel time from Syracuse to Nakatsugawa 30+ hours. To say we were excited to finally arrive is an understatement.

We spent the next two days acclimating to the time difference as best as possible. Training was very lite during this period to ensure everyone was staying healthy and not exposing themselves to unnecessary stress from training. Our first day of structured practice was today. The guys sparred in positions and wrestled some live. Overall, it was a great practice with everyone looking very sharp and honing in on the task at hand. We have two training session scheduled per day but rarely does anyone train twice. The second session is typically some type of recovery or lite skill work with the focus of game planning for opponents. We have nine more days in Nakatsugawa before we head down to Tokyo for the games, so the staff has really narrowed the focus down to what is important.

I posted this on the Women's OLY thread b/c someone asked for it, and thought I'd post it here as well.

Teams Pts (for World Wrestling Championships - OLY doesn't officially recognize a team champ.
1st - 25
2nd - 20
3rd - 15 (2 3rds)
5th - 10 (2 5ths)
7th - 8
8th - 6
9th - 4
10th - 2

I posted this on the Women's OLY thread b/c someone asked for it, and thought I'd post it here as well.

Teams Pts (for World Wrestling Championships - OLY doesn't officially recognize a team champ.
1st - 25
2nd - 20
3rd - 15 (2 3rds)
5th - 10 (2 5ths)
7th - 8
8th - 6
9th - 4
10th - 2
Here's where it gets a little confusing. Gold thru bronze is pretty straight forward. And 5th is the guys who lost the bronze match. 7th thru 10th is based on how many "classification pts" the wrestler scored in their matches. Here's the metric for classification pts:

Article 43 – Classification Points
The classification points awarded to a wrestler shall determine his final ranking.

5 points for the winner and 0 for the loser:
- Victory by fall (with or without technical point for the loser)
- Injury
- Withdrawal
- Disqualification

4 points for the winner and 0 for the loser:
- Victory by technical superiority (8 points difference in Greco-Roman style and 10 points in Freestyle
during one of the two periods), with the loser scoring no technical points

4 points for the winner and 1 point for the loser:
- Victory by technical superiority during one of the two periods with loser scoring technical points.

3 points for the winner and 0 for the loser:
- When the wrestler wins at the end of the two periods by 1 to 7 points in Greco Roman style and 1 to 9
points in Freestyle with the loser scoring no point.

3 points for the winner and 1 point for the loser:
- When the bout ends by a victory by points at the end of the regular time and the loser scoring one or
several technical points.

0 point for the red wrestler and 0 point for the blue wrestler:
- In case both wrestlers have been disqualified due to infraction to the rules.

In World Championships the UWW site (and perhaps other sites) will tally up the Team Rankings / Score. In the OLY I'm assuming that no one will. I'll try to keep track as things progress.

I don't see Dake or Taylor losing regardless of seeds. From what I've heard they are really fine-tuned & ready. Snyder I do see losing, but probably medaling. The other guys will have to pull some big upsets.

Found this info over on Rofkin.
I understand it's a ways away, but I wanted to post it, so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle. Some good info. ✌️

WTT qualifiers and weights
"If you win an Olympic medal (finish top 3), you’ll automatically have the spot on the World Team for the World Championships later this year. If someone wants to forfeit it, they have to declare it by August 15th. (For example: if Gilman finishes top 3 and accepts the spot, there will be no 57kg field. If Dake finishes top 3 at 74kg, there will be no 74kg field. Kind of wild!)

If you make the Olympic team and wrestle for a medal, you’ll automatically be entered in the semifinals of the World Team Trials in September. (For example: If Gilman WRESTLES for a medal, he's in the semis of 57kg for the World Team Trials).

If you don't wrestle for a medal at the Olympics, you'll have to fully wrestle through the World Team Trials ,which is set for just under 6 weeks from now on September 3-5th."

Qualified at 57 kg​

2017 World Team member – Thomas Gilman (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion Wrestling Club)
2019 World Team member – Daton Fix (Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Nathan Tomasello (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Vitali Arujau (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Nick Suriano (Titan Mercury WC/NYC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Zach Sanders (Gopher WC - RTC)
2018 World Team member – Joe Colon (Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Sean Russel
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Zane Richards
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Jakob Camacho (TMWC/ Wolfpack Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Ethan Rotondo (Wisconsin Regional Training Center)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Brady Kyner (Burg Training Center)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Austin Macias (Illinois)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Dane Durlacher (Illinois Regional Training Center/Illini WC)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Codi Russell (Blue Ridge RTC)
Spencer Lee qualified but medically withdrew on March 26th. Not sure if he'd be back for this.

Qualified at 61 kg​

2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Seth Gross (Sunkist Kids)
2021 NCAA Champion - Roman Bravo-Young (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club)
2019 World Team member – Tyler Graff (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Shelton Mack (TMWC/ New York City RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Josh Kramer (Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Daniel DeShazer (Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Ethan Lizak (New York Athletic Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Sean Fausz (TMWC/ SOCAL RTC)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Carter Young (Cowboy Wrestling Club)

Qualified at 65 kg​

2019 World Team member – Zain Retherford (Nittany Lion WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Joey McKenna (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Nick Lee (Nittany Lion WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Yianni Diakomihalis (Titan Mercury WC)
2018 Final X champion – Nahshon Garrett (Titan Mercury WC)
2020 Pan American Championships champion – Anthony Ashnault (New York AC/NJRTC)
2021 NCAA Champion - Austin O'Connor (Tarheel Wrestling Club)
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Evan Henderson
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Mitch McKee
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Jaydin Eierman (TMWC/ Hawkeye Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Dom Demas (Oklahoma Regional Training Center)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Pat Lugo (TMWC/ Hawkeye Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Luke Pletcher (TMWC/ Pittsburgh Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Henry Pohlmeyer (Wisconsin Regional Training Center)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Dean Heil (Navy-Marine Corps Wrestling Club)

Qualified at 70 kg​

2020 Olympic Team Member – Jordan Oliver (Sunkist Kids WC)
2019 World Team member – James Green (Titan Mercury WC/SERTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Alec Pantaleo (TMWC/ CKWC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Brayton Lee (Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Tyler Berger (Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Elroy Perkin (Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Ryan Deakin (Titan Mercury Wrestling Club)

Qualified at 74 kg​

2019 World Team member – Kyle Dake (Titan Mercury WC)
2019 Junior World champion – David Carr (Titan Mercury WC/Cyclone RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Logan Massa (NYAC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Thomas Gantt (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Evan Wick (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Anthony Valencia (Sunkist Kids)
2020 Pan American Championships champion – Jason Nolf (Nittany Lion WC)
2021 NCAA Champion - Shane Griffith
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Chance Marsteller
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Vincenzo Joseph
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Hayden Hidlay (TMWC/ Wolfpack Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Joey Lavallee (TMWC/ LVWC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Philip Conigliaro (New England Regional Training Center)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Branson Ashworth (Wyoming Wrestling Reg Training Ctr)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Joshua Shields (Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Jarrett Jacques (Tiger Style Wrestling Club)

Mekhi Lewis qualified but it was announced on March 26th that he had to medically withdraw due to a torn peck.

Qualified at 79 kg​

Automatic Final X berth – Jordan Burroughs, 2019 World bronze medalist (Sunkist Kids)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Taylor Lujan (Panther Wrestling Club RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Isaiah Martinez (TMWC/ BEAVER DAM RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Devin Skatzka (Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Michael O'Malley (Pennsylvania RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Muhamed McBryde (New York Athletic Club)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Quentin Perez (Navy-Marine Corps Mat Club)

Qualified at 86 kg​

2018 World Team member – David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC)
2019 World Team member - Pat Downey
2019 U23 World champion – Bo Nickal (Nittany Lion WC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Alex Dieringer (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Zahid Valencia (Sunkist Kids)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Myles Martin (TMWC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Brett Pfarr (Gopher WC - RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Samuel Brooks (New York AC)
2021 NCAA Champion - Aaron Brooks (Nittany Lion WC)
2021 NCAA Champion - Carter Starocci
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Gabe Dean
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Nate Jackson
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals- Mark Hall (TMWC/ PENN RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Trent Hidlay (TMWC/ Wolfpack Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Drew Foster (Panther Wrestling Club RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Michael Battista (Cavalier Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Jack Jessen (Wildcat Wrestling Club)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Andrew Morgan (Wrestling Prep)

Qualified at 92 kg​

Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Nathan Jackson (New York Athletic Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Kyven Gadson (Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Timothy Dudley (Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Scottie Boykin (TMWC/ Spartan Combat RTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Willie Miklus (Michigan Wrestling Club)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Miguel Baray (River Valley Wrestling Club)

Qualified at 97 kg​

Automatic Final X berth – Kyle Snyder, 2019 World bronze medalist (Titan Mercury)
2019 World Team member – J’den Cox (Titan Mercury WC/USOPTC)
2019 Bill Farrell International silver medalist – Mike Macchiavello (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Hayden Zillmer (Gopher WC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Kollin Moore (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Ty Walz (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Kyven Gadson (Sunkist Kids WC)
2021 NCAA Champion - AJ Ferrari
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Ben Honis
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Braxton Amos
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Austin Schafer (New York Athletic Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Nathan Rotert (Jackrabbit Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Christopher Smith (Southeast Regional Training Center, Inc)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals- Jacob Boyd (Oklahoma Regional Training Center)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals- Isaac Trumble (TMWC/ Wolfpack Wrestling Club)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Morgan Smith (Ohio RTC)

Note: As a 2019 World champion at a non-Olympic weight, Cox earns a bid to the semifinals of the weight he chooses, which he has announced will be 97kg.
Jacob Kasper was qualified, but has announced his Olympic Wrestling retirement to pursue his lifelong dream of being in the WWE!

Qualified at 125 kg​

2017 World Team member – Nick Gwiazdowski (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack WC)
2019 Junior World champion – Mason Parris (Cliff Keen WC)
2019 Bill Farrell International champion – Gable Steveson (Gopher WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals champion – Dom Bradley (Sunkist Kids)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals runner-up – Anthony Nelson (Gopher WC RTC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals third place – Daniel Kerkvliet (Titan Mercury WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fourth place – Nick Nevills (Nittany Lion WC)
Dec. 2019 Senior Nationals fifth place - Garrett Ryan (Sunkist Kids)
Last Chance Qualifier Champion - Tanner Hall
Last Chance Qualifier True Second - Jordan Wood
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Anthony Cassioppi (TMWC/ Hawkeye Wrestling Club)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Ty Walz (TMWC/ SERTC)
Top 5 at the Senior Nationals - Christian Lance (Nebraska Wrestling Training Center)
WTT Last Chance Qualifier Winner - Demetrius Thomas (Pittsburgh Wrestling Club)

Last edited:
57kg - With the right draw, Gillman could make the finals. I think this is his only shot at a medal. I do not believe that he will drop down and be able to win Bronze.

74kg - Dake should win Gold. I don't think there is a better all around wrestler in the world right now. Just simply does not make mistakes.

86kg - Taylor seems to be healthy, and a solid bet for Gold. If Yazdani has not fixed his gas tank issues, Taylor should win that match. If Yazdani has even marginally improved his gas tank issues, he has to be the favorite over Taylor. I am picking Taylor to win Gold.

97kg - Sadulaev will never lose to Snyder ever again. I believe that was an anomaly, and I do not see where Snyder can beat Sad in any position in any scenario. Sadulaev is that much better than the field. I think it is way more likely that Snyder does not medal at all, than it is that he wins Gold. Depending on where Iran is placed in the bracket, he may have to settle for Bronze, which is not a lock either imo. I am picking him for Bronze, but wont be shocked as the rest of the wrestling community, if he fails to medal.

125kg - Gable is winning Gold. He is by far the finest athlete in the field, he is the most technically sound and savvy guy in the field, and he is a fresh face the top 2 guys always mentioned have never seen. How do you prepare for Gable? The only thing that could hold him back, is he is a bit undersized compared to the top guys, but he passes the eye test with flying colors, and he is just better.

Where does everyone plan on viewing all the wrestling? Will it be on Peacock and show all the mats? I should have done my homework ahead of time, but still some time to figure it out - and the easiest way is to ask on this site. So I'm counting on someone (probably many) that have it figured out and will convey their viewing strategy to a certain person that has been too lackadaisical in that regard. (ie lazy)

Where does everyone plan on viewing all the wrestling? Will it be on Peacock and show all the mats? I should have done my homework ahead of time, but still some time to figure it out - and the easiest way is to ask on this site. So I'm counting on someone (probably many) that have it figured out and will convey their viewing strategy to a certain person that has been too lackadaisical in that regard. (ie lazy)

Full schedule here. Finals on USA, prelims on Olympic Channel. If you have cable, you can log into NBC online and watch everything on your browser (stream.nbcolympics.com)/phone via the app as well.

Thanks for the info. from Yankeefan (i'm a Red Sox fan so we have some bragging rights this year at 10-3) and MPhillips. I think I can figure it out form there. Hopefully we don't get more tornadoes up here in Michigan and I lose the dish off my roof. This is when I wish I had cable, lose the satellite signal way too often during storms.

1627688041926.png

57kg - With the right draw, Gillman could make the finals. I think this is his only shot at a medal. I do not believe that he will drop down and be able to win Bronze.

74kg - Dake should win Gold. I don't think there is a better all around wrestler in the world right now. Just simply does not make mistakes.

86kg - Taylor seems to be healthy, and a solid bet for Gold. If Yazdani has not fixed his gas tank issues, Taylor should win that match. If Yazdani has even marginally improved his gas tank issues, he has to be the favorite over Taylor. I am picking Taylor to win Gold.

97kg - Sadulaev will never lose to Snyder ever again. I believe that was an anomaly, and I do not see where Snyder can beat Sad in any position in any scenario. Sadulaev is that much better than the field. I think it is way more likely that Snyder does not medal at all, than it is that he wins Gold. Depending on where Iran is placed in the bracket, he may have to settle for Bronze, which is not a lock either imo. I am picking him for Bronze, but wont be shocked as the rest of the wrestling community, if he fails to medal.

125kg - Gable is winning Gold. He is by far the finest athlete in the field, he is the most technically sound and savvy guy in the field, and he is a fresh face the top 2 guys always mentioned have never seen. How do you prepare for Gable? The only thing that could hold him back, is he is a bit undersized compared to the top guys, but he passes the eye test with flying colors, and he is just better.
In essence, I agree with this take—particularly with respect to Dake, Taylor and Snyder.
Dake is so dialed in technically and mentally, and that is before we even get to the physical gifts with those hips and that horsepower. I think he is the best in the world next to Sadulaev—if not his equal!
Taylor is so good technically and so offensively gifted. Not sure how you stop him.
I have never been as impressed with Snyder as the rest of America because he has relied so much on the same offense. That said, I was VERY IMPRESSED with him last time out and his adjusted game where he was really more physical and great at pushing guys around in his control ties. Perhaps NLWC has transformed him into a more versatile wrestler—I hope so. But I just don’t see anyone beating the Tank. Dude is a Tank.
Lastly, I do think Gable will win—but I am not quite as confident about it. Same with Gilman—I am not quite as confident as you—I think he can medal but it is maybe a 50-50 proposition at best. Though I love this kid and am rooting so hard for him….