Memphis Police beating suspect

It's 18 and yeah, my written and oral communication skills were generally considered a strength. These days when I post on Yappi, I am usually wearing gym shorts and a tee shirt, but if I'm meeting a client, I tend to dress for the occasion. See how that works?
drive through fast food GIF

Who said policing or 911 is a complete failure?
I say it is. I have good reason to say it. most people have no idea what's really going on today

swatting is at epidemic levels. more police time is spent chasing 911 hangups and false residential burglar alarms and swats than actual law enforcement duties.

I say it is. I have good reason to say it. most people have no idea what's really going on today

swatting is at epidemic levels. more police time is spent chasing 911 hangups and false residential burglar alarms and swats than actual law enforcement duties.
I guess you could start a 911 thread then. I think there are huge problems with policing and the prison system in this country but I would not call the entire system a failure.

I did not say cops are ineffective. You just made that up. My comment was a response to a claim that said 99.5% of cops are good. That is ridiculous. 99.5% of people in ANY vocation are not good at their job. Do you really think that 99.5% of employed people are good at their job? Cops are no different. What I said is the number of bad cops is much closer to 10-20% because that is more in line with the workforce in general.
I never said that 99.5% of cops are effective at their job. But, I do believe there are more "good" officers than "bad." I am only pointing out that, for the most part, from reading what you have wrote in this discussion you believe being a peace officer cannot be an ineffective occupation because its an undesirable job. Therefore, you believe that the job of a peace officer can't provide effective results, due to the people in this line of work.

Just as the rest of the country does, when a situation presents itself where a peace officer does not follow his/her training, all peace officers are made out to be incapable of doing the job. An ineffective IT member isn't made a scapegoat of their occupation when fired. He/she does not generalize the profession when he/she is fired. An ineffective peace officer is viewed in this perspective. Do I support the actions of the Memphis officers? No. I would probably say the vast majority of officers would not condone these actions. However, "good" cops become even more scrutinized about their profession. It is a good profession. It takes a different kind of individual to be a peace officer. It is an unexplainable trait that peace officers have that separates their profession from others.

There is no sense in you calling the cops when you have an emergency If you truly believe that a peace officer is an ineffective occupation, therefore there will be an ineffective response. Especially because of the way you identify commiting a crime in Post #311. I am sure that the criminal robbing you weighed his/her benefits as to whether this was a good idea. Crime is crime, whether pre-medidtated or not.

How in the world do you come up with 99% of police interactions are good? What does that even mean? How would any human being know what % of interactions are good. That is ludicrous.
How did you come up with 20% suck?

Reactions: y2h
It's 18 and yeah, my written and oral communication skills were generally considered a strength. These days when I post on Yappi, I am usually wearing gym shorts and a tee shirt, but if I'm meeting a client, I tend to dress for the occasion. See how that works?
How you dress has zero impact on your communication skills.

I never said that 99.5% of cops are effective at their job. But, I do believe there are more "good" officers than "bad." I am only pointing out that, for the most part, from reading what you have wrote in this discussion you believe being a peace officer cannot be an ineffective occupation because its an undesirable job. Therefore, you believe that the job of a peace officer can't provide effective results, due to the people in this line of work.

Just as the rest of the country does, when a situation presents itself where a peace officer does not follow his/her training, all peace officers are made out to be incapable of doing the job. An ineffective IT member isn't made a scapegoat of their occupation when fired. He/she does not generalize the profession when he/she is fired. An ineffective peace officer is viewed in this perspective. Do I support the actions of the Memphis officers? No. I would probably say the vast majority of officers would not condone these actions. However, "good" cops become even more scrutinized about their profession. It is a good profession. It takes a different kind of individual to be a peace officer. It is an unexplainable trait that peace officers have that separates their profession from others.

There is no sense in you calling the cops when you have an emergency If you truly believe that a peace officer is an ineffective occupation, therefore there will be an ineffective response. Especially because of the way you identify commiting a crime in Post #311. I am sure that the criminal robbing you weighed his/her benefits as to whether this was a good idea. Crime is crime, whether pre-medidtated or not.
That is another massive misrepresentation of what I said. I said that in my opinion, being a cop is a crappy job because of the pay, risk, and scrutiny. I said that because of this and like the military, it is harder to recruit and they tend to get candidates that are in a lower social-economic class. As such, hiring has become more risky these days. I also said that I think most cops are good. I said that like any organization, upwards of 20% are not good at their job. I never once said the policing is an ineffective profession. Finally, my comment on criminal activity, premeditated or not, was that I believe many people who break the law care about the law. Per your point, they weigh the cost vs benefits and end up not caring enough to stop them.

So you sucked?
That's relative but I was no better or worse when I got fired than I was for the 18 years I worked at the company. We were acquired for 2.3B and the acquiring company had different ideas about who they wanted running things. They wiped out 80% of the leadership team. It's just business.

That's relative but I was no better or worse when I got fired than I was for the 18 years I worked at the company. We were acquired for 2.3B and the acquiring company had different ideas about who they wanted running things. They wiped out 80% of the leadership team. It's just business.
I know the situation. Yes, just business but it still sucks. Is that when you started your own business?

Based on what?
Human nature. The range of laws that could and that are frequently broken. I gave a couple of examples, already. The net is that I believe most people who break a law, would rather not which means that they care but just not enough after they evaluate the possible benefit vs the possible reward.

I know the situation. Yes, just business but it still sucks. Is that when you started your own business?
Not immediately. I then went to work for another tech company for a few years and then quit there to start the business. It all worked out.

Human nature. The range of laws that could and that are frequently broken. I gave a couple of examples, already. The net is that I believe most people who break a law, would rather not which means that they care but just not enough after they evaluate the possible benefit vs the possible reward.
So no actual data, just your opinion....

many of them are very traumatized. they cannot unsee what they have seen.

have you ever seen the video of John Crawford being blown away in the Beavercreek WalMart? that cop was having flashbacks to Fallujah it looked like.

What a horrible tragedy. Somehow, this one escaped my attention - or perhaps I had forgotten about it.

It seems there was a lot of bad information given to the officers initially, including that Crawford was pointing the gun at customers (which apparently was not true), and that bad information contributed to what happened. Also, Crawford took an unpackaged air rifle out and carried it around. Whether he was pointing it at others or not, that's a strange choice. He couldn't have purchased it that way, so what was the purpose of carrying it around the store while he shopped? Was it a joke or maybe an attempt to make people nervous? Regardless, when the cops showed up, they had been told that a man was threatening others with a rifle - a rifle they assumed was a regular firearm. When they located him, the evidence was from other witnesses that they instructed him to drop the weapon, he didn't comply (or didn't fast enough), and they shot him.

Here was the legal investigation and civil suit outcomes from Wiki:
The Guardian revealed in December that immediately after the shooting, police aggressively questioned Crawford's girlfriend, Tasha Thomas, threatening her with jail time. The interrogation caused her to sob uncontrollably, with hostile questions suggesting she was drunk or on drugs when she stated that Crawford did not enter the store with a gun. She was not yet aware of Crawford's death at the time of the interrogation.[19] Thomas died in a car crash in Dayton several months later on January 1, 2015.[20][21][22]

Following the shooting, a grand jury decided not to indict any of the officers involved on charges of either murder, reckless homicide, or negligent homicide.[23][24] The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) conducted its own investigation.[25][26][27] Sean Williams, the officer who shot Crawford, was removed from normal duties until the federal investigation was complete.[28] In 2017, the DOJ announced that it declined to seek federal charges against the officer, who returned to full duty soon after.[29][30]

The 2017 DOJ report stated: "To establish willfulness, federal authorities would be required to show that the officer acted with the deliberate and specific intent to do something the law forbids. This is one of the highest standards of intent imposed by law. Mistake, misperception, negligence, necessity, or poor judgment are not sufficient to establish a federal criminal civil rights violation... ...To establish that Officer Williams acted willfully, the government would be required both to disprove his stated reason for the shooting – that he was in fear of death or serious bodily injury – and to affirmatively establish that Officer Williams instead acted with the specific intent to violate Mr. Crawford’s rights. The evidence here simply cannot satisfy those burdens. Accordingly, the review into this incident has been closed without prosecution."
[31]

So it's meaningless.....just an opinion of a fat guy bloviating....
We have already been thru this. Opinions are like a**holes. That includes the massive amount of opinion pieces that you post and cut and paste everyday. If you know they are meaningless, why do you post them so fanatically?

We have already been thru this. Opinions are like a**holes. That includes the massive amount of opinion pieces that you post and cut and paste everyday. If you know they are meaningless, why do you post them so fanatically?
They are based on data/facts which are included in the article. You just blow smoke and have nothing to back anything you opine about. When questioned you rely on "common sense." Duh... So yes, your posts are meaningless. Why do you post them so fanatically?

They are based on data/facts which are included in the article. You just blow smoke and have nothing to back anything you opine about. When questioned you rely on "common sense." Duh... So yes, your posts are meaningless. Why do you post them so fanatically?
LOL. Any person can form an opinion based on some facts. It does not make the opinion any more relevant than another. As an example, there is a war in Ukraine. Saying that if Trump were in office there would not be a war in Ukraine is an opinion no more meaningful than one saying that it's all Trumps fault. If opinions are meanginless, stop posting them like your life depends on it.

I asked you for some facts to your opinion and you couldn't give any....thus it is meaningless.
Opinions don't need to be based on anything tangible, but I already offered what that opinion is based on. Further, this is a debate board. Foundational to debate is a difference in opinion. Fact cannot be debated. It is impossible. It is either factually correct or it is not. Again, if you think opinion is meaningless, stop posting it. If you want to debate facts, try to go find another idiot who does not understand the difference.

Again, if you think opinion is meaningless, stop posting it. If you want to debate facts, try to go find another idiot who does not understand the difference.
No, your opinion is meaningless when you provide no facts, which is the case at hand.