Massillon Washington vs Big Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not miss a Massillon game in decades until this year. Got to go to first couple games this year and then the week of Warren game I broke my fibula and ankle. Had surgery and was non weight bearing for almost 9 weeks.
Plate and 6 screws. Just started bearing weight again in physical therapy with one crutch, have a ways to go yet. Miss the games terribly. I am thankful for livestreams because of my situation. I would be there if I could no matter who they played.
Reminds me of my father, in 1984 he was picking up film in Warren for Big Red. slipped and ended up with Plate and screws, a spiral fracture. Happened on Sunday was filming Big Red's first playoff win at YSU in a wheelchair that Friday. Tough SOB!

I got to the game at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and didn’t feel like it was that small of a crowd. It was a pretty cold night, and attendance is always low in the beginning round of playoffs(which this game would of been if no expansion). I think we will travel well to Mansfield like usual.

I think this could be a decent game, but I think Massillon has been better tested by their schedule and has the experience advantage of having been here before. Massillon 28-17. The move on to possibly play Green to go to the final 4, which could lead to an interesting thread or 6.

I like how people act like Massillon chose their region or that they could have opted out.

Big walnut is a very young team. They were not expected to do as well as they did this year. They start two soph running backs and a sophomore Qb along with DB very young. So they have been a surprise to be undefeated . Between 7th grade ,8th, 9th, JV, and Varsity this year they lost one game. By 1 point. That was Jv I believe. So the will be a team in this region for a few years to contend with. Granted they do not have the history of a Massillon with only 1 state championship. However they are one of the fastest growing communities in the state and a lot of people are moving there. They open a new high school in January with great facilities. They will be moving up to D 1 in a few short years. I fully expect their kids to get a great experience out of playing Massillon. I live in Westerville which is about 16 miles from there.
Dang, BW has only one state title compared to how many for Massillon ?………. Sounds like a complete and total mismatch……..

Put Columbus with Toledo Schools. Split Cleveland into two regions. TCC gets the cake walk then, but they aren’t as dominant as the Tigers of late. Massillon should win this region by 28 points for the next 6 years. If I was Coach Moore. Schedule whoever you want because you just need to get in.

Hopefully Massillon shows up and gives a little effort. BW is the #1 seed and undefeated, will probably take a perfect game by the Tigers and a lot of luck for them to even keep it close.
Undefeated in Columbus won't make much difference against the Tigers. One word of advice to the walnuts….punt out of bounds.
Look at Wooster, seeded 14th and took out two Columbus area teams so far.

Put Columbus with Toledo Schools. Split Cleveland into two regions. TCC gets the cake walk then, but they aren’t as dominant as the Tigers of late. Massillon should win this region by 28 points for the next 6 years. If I was Coach Moore. Schedule whoever you want because you just need to get in.
They did that in 2019.

They can split the regions however they want but LaSalle & Hoban (primarily), Massillon & Avon, dominate D2. Add WW and TCC you can usually pencil in the semi's every year from those 6 teams. At least past few years.

What I'd like to see and I think the whole state does is LaSalle vs. Hoban semi, but they have unbelievably avoided each other on the way to several straight state titles. Defeating both is a tall task for one of the publics. Only Massillon has defeated both teams in the playoffs since each of their runs began, unfortunately a year apart.

They can split the regions however they want but LaSalle & Hoban (primarily), Massillon & Avon, dominate D2. Add WW and TCC you can usually pencil in the semi's every year from those 6 teams. At least past few years.

What I'd like to see and I think the whole state does is LaSalle vs. Hoban semi, but they have unbelievably avoided each other on the way to several straight state titles. Defeating both is a tall task for one of the publics. Only Massillon has defeated both teams in the playoffs since each of their runs began, unfortunately a year apart.

100%.

As a web developer, I can tell you it’s pretty trivial to block access to these game streams by IP address/ZIP Code. But it’s also equally trivial to circumvent if you’re motivated.

IP addresses are not the same as zip codes. You can certainly block an IP range. How do you know exactly where that range is? And how do you know that this blocking is accurate? Customers on broadband also get dynamic IP addresses. So, I have one IP address today. I have another one tomorrow.

And nowadays, people are using cell phones. They use different services. Can you even get a list of all the connection providers in an area?

Great and accurate post. I understand that a ton of people love to hate on Massillon, but Division 2 teams in Ohio had better hope that Avon, Massillon and Winton Woods stay strong and stick around for a while, because if they don't, the division 2 playoffs will pretty much be the Hoban/Lasalle invitational. At least those 3 public schools present a challenge to the 2 parochial powers.

Great and accurate post. I understand that a ton of people love to hate on Massillon, but Division 2 teams in Ohio had better hope that Avon, Massillon and Winton Woods stay strong and stick around for a while, because if they don't, the division 2 playoffs will pretty much be the Hoban/Lasalle invitational. At least those 3 public schools present a challenge to the 2 parochial powers.

Don't mistake a handful of internet trolls w/ a ton of people. No need to name names but yes, the same cake eating "level the playing field" social justice warriors suddenly become private schools' biggest fans. I'd rather focus on the vast support we (and publics in general) receive from our opponents, old school rivals, and fans all over the state - which kills them. :)

Not that it is of any relevance to 2021, but I remember back in 2010 Big Walnut came up to Lake for the Regional Final and got curb-stomped. I believe the final was 42-14. Massillon needs to sell out on the run and take their chances on the backside and it should be a comfortable win.

Talk about a weak D2 Region! These Central Ohio football programs are a joke! Don't understand why Massillon wasn't placed into the D2 Region with Akron Hoban, Walsh Jesuit, Hudson, etc.
Not sure what you are talking about. Respectfully Stark County has only 1 State Champion in the last decade in Canton Central Catholic. While Franklin County has 6. Facts are facts.

Who are the 6?

:>---

SALT
I don't think this is an accurate number.
Franklin County State Champions (I would guess he counted 2010 as part of this decade, though really it is 2011-2020 for ten years):

Bishop Hartley: 2016, 2015, 2010
Bishop Watterson: 2010

I don't see any others from a cursory glance. Hilliard Davidson last won D1 in 2009 (more than a decade ago).
He may have counted Pickerington Central, which is not in Franklin County (it is in Fairfield County).

I don't think this is an accurate number.
Franklin County State Champions (I would guess he counted 2010 as part of this decade, though really it is 2011-2020 for ten years):

Bishop Hartley: 2016, 2015, 2010
Bishop Watterson: 2010

I don't see any others from a cursory glance. Hilliard Davidson last won D1 in 2009 (more than a decade ago).
He may have counted Pickerington Central, which is not in Franklin County (it is in Fairfield County).
I forgot to add: Big Walnut is not in Franklin county either. Sunbury is in Delaware County. The district might have a bit of territory in Franklin County, but is almost entirely in Delaware County.

FYI. Ohiocrew is not a Massillon fan. The Tiger fan base respects Big Walnut. There is a reason the Golden Eagles are undefeated.

There is a reason, that reason is that their schedule was absolutely horrendous. Their league was awful, and instead of scheduling D1 schools OOC like most D2/3 schools in CBus do (and teams like Massillon do for that matter), they scheduled a couple of goat herder D3 schools. This team would 100% not be undefeated had they played any even middling D1 schools or any of the better D2/3 schools in the area.

There is a reason, that reason is that their schedule was absolutely horrendous. Their league was awful, and instead of scheduling D1 schools OOC like most D2/3 schools in CBus do (and teams like Massillon do for that matter), they scheduled a couple of goat herder D3 schools. This team would 100% not be undefeated had they played any even middling D1 schools or any of the better D2/3 schools in the area.
Have you watched BW in person this year ? Just curious how good Severs is.

There is no other d2 Team in the State that can match Massillon's team speed.
ISN'T WINTON WOODS STILL D2?
I THINK THEY ARE.
ACTUALLY, THEY ARE.
I'M CONFIDENT THEY CAN RUN WITH AND PROBABLY PAST M*A*SSILLON AS A TEAM.
THE WARRIORS' ARE ALWAYS LOADED WITH SPEED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.
I'M NOT SLIGHTING THE TIGERS.
WW IS JUST FAST, FAST, FAST.
DON'T BELIEVE ME?
ASK JAKE WILLIAMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.