Massillon Washington vs Big Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it’s not about strength of region it’s about geography. If you took Massillon out of this region you would be letting a tomato can into the final four every year. Would that be better in your opinion?

Are the regions about geography? Get rid of them completely, and see how that works out.

Big Walnut takes out the Tigers. That will be 50 years of playoffs and still no state titles for Massillon Washington.
Evidently you aren’t good in predictions. In another football thread, Steubenville vs. New Philly, you predicted the only team the Little Red had to beat for the title this year was Trotwood Madison. Where is Steubey playing next weekend?

Yes the region is weak. You have the Tigers and a bunch of also rans pretty much. Not saying we’re definitely winning the region but this is the year to beat Massillon (as it was for McK) because the next several we SHOULD run away with it.
I probably just jinxed everything LMAO
Big walnut is a very young team. They were not expected to do as well as they did this year. They start two soph running backs and a sophomore Qb along with DB very young. So they have been a surprise to be undefeated . Between 7th grade ,8th, 9th, JV, and Varsity this year they lost one game. By 1 point. That was Jv I believe. So the will be a team in this region for a few years to contend with. Granted they do not have the history of a Massillon with only 1 state championship. However they are one of the fastest growing communities in the state and a lot of people are moving there. They open a new high school in January with great facilities. They will be moving up to D 1 in a few short years. I fully expect their kids to get a great experience out of playing Massillon. I live in Westerville which is about 16 miles from there.

Big walnut is a very young team. They were not expected to do as well as they did this year. They start two soph running backs and a sophomore Qb along with DB very young. So they have been a surprise to be undefeated . Between 7th grade ,8th, 9th, JV, and Varsity this year they lost one game. By 1 point. That was Jv I believe. So the will be a team in this region for a few years to contend with. Granted they do not have the history of a Massillon with only 1 state championship. However they are one of the fastest growing communities in the state and a lot of people are moving there. They open a new high school in January with great facilities. They will be moving up to D 1 in a few short years. I fully expect their kids to get a great experience out of playing Massillon. I live in Westerville which is about 16 miles from there.
I appreciate that info.

And replace it with what? Put all the good teams in the same region and then let crap teams into the finals? Makes sense.

There is a good rating system, and you bracket all the teams in the state according to where they are ranked: 1 plays 64, 2 plays 63, etc.

Last edited:
There is a good rating system, and you bracket all the teams in the state according to where they are ranked: 1 plays 64, 2 plays 63, etc. Do you understand that? Or is that too complicated for you?
Ahh so you could have teams from Cincy playing a team from Cleveland and somehow try to figure out that logistical nightmare for the entire state. This isn’t Rhode Island, it takes 4 hours to get from one corner of the state to the other. Who’s gonna pay to bus teams, bands, cheerleaders etc. all those extra miles. What fans will be able to show up when they have a 3-4 hour drive?

Last edited:
Yep. Enough is enough with all this live streaming. Whole family can sit at home and watch for $10 rather than go to the game and support the team.
The OHSAA should at least region-block streaming for 30 miles or so. As a resident of another state, though, please don’t kill streaming for people who legitimately depend on it to get their Tiger fix. I would gladly pay $20-30/game—the equivalent cost of being there in person with a +1—if I had to.

The OHSAA should at least region-block streaming for 30 miles or so. As a resident of another state, though, please don’t kill streaming for people who legitimately depend on it to get their Tiger fix. I would gladly pay $20-30/game—the equivalent cost of being there in person with a +1—if I had to.

There isn't an easy way to do that.

Seems to me Big Walnut is the team to beat in the region until proven other wise. They are 12-0. I look forward to seeing them play.

Seems to me Big Walnut is the team to beat in the region until proven other wise. They are 12-0. I look forward to seeing them play.
Big Walnut is 100% NOT the team to beat in the region, Massillon is.

When are people going to stop taking the lazy approach of evaluating a team based solely on their record?

Had this same discussion with the Kings folks in R8. Your undefeated record is MEANINGLESS because of the teams you played. What's important is, what is the actual ability of the kids on the field and how will they stack up against a LaSalle, Massillon, Hoban, Toledo CC, Avon, Benedictine etc. I told them before the playoffs ever started that their team has virtually NO CHANCE of winning the region, despite their undefeated record and #1 AP state ranking. They don't have the kids to do it.

100% similar situation here with Big Walnut. A great public school story and a fantastic season to celebrate, with above average football players. They also played a schedule so weak, everyone from Green to Hoover to even Wooster probably could have come down here and been undefeated playing it as well.

There are warning signs all over the place about BW not being a top 10 team, I've mentioned them other places, will re-summarize here.

- Berlin DOMINATED BW in a scrimmage in Aug played under regular game conditions. BW could not score. Berlin had 2 TDs and should have had another but a BW defender shoved a receiver to the ground in the endzone while the ball was in the air, picked off the pass, and it wasn't called. BW did not control either line of scrimmage in this game.

- Berlin defeated Scioto in much more convincing fashion than BW did, up 17-0 for much of the game until a late TD. BW won 28-20, but needed the benefit of 3 Scioto turnovers, including a pick 6, to win that game.

- Berlin and Tangy played a very competitive game, which Berlin ended up winning with a late 4Q TD. Tangy then went into Big Walnut first round of playoffs and lost 24-20, but only after giving BW FOUR turnovers, including a 1Q fumble that set BW up in the red zone and a 3Q muffed punt that also set them up in the red zone. BW once again showed no domination of the LOS, Tangy ripped off a long TD run where the RB just ran untouched right up the middle, and had another long passing play where the WR outran their whole defense.

- Wooster, a team Massillon beat 31-0 in week 9, came down here and put up 20-7 leads against both Berlin and Scioto in the 2nd half, easily winning both games (had to fight off a late rally by Berlin, but was never really in question).

STOP giving teams who play tomato can schedules respect just because of their records and start evaluating what their kids actually can do. It is virtually impossible for Massillon to lose this game unless they hand BW several TDs via turnover.

Big Walnut is 100% NOT the team to beat in the region, Massillon is.

When are people going to stop taking the lazy approach of evaluating a team based solely on their record?

Had this same discussion with the Kings folks in R8. Your undefeated record is MEANINGLESS because of the teams you played. What's important is, what is the actual ability of the kids on the field and how will they stack up against a LaSalle, Massillon, Hoban, Toledo CC, Avon, Benedictine etc. I told them before the playoffs ever started that their team has virtually NO CHANCE of winning the region, despite their undefeated record and #1 AP state ranking. They don't have the kids to do it.

100% similar situation here with Big Walnut. A great public school story and a fantastic season to celebrate, with above average football players. They also played a schedule so weak, everyone from Green to Hoover to even Wooster probably could have come down here and been undefeated playing it as well.

There are warning signs all over the place about BW not being a top 10 team, I've mentioned them other places, will re-summarize here.

- Berlin DOMINATED BW in a scrimmage in Aug played under regular game conditions. BW could not score. Berlin had 2 TDs and should have had another but a BW defender shoved a receiver to the ground in the endzone while the ball was in the air, picked off the pass, and it wasn't called. BW did not control either line of scrimmage in this game.

- Berlin defeated Scioto in much more convincing fashion than BW did, up 17-0 for much of the game until a late TD. BW won 28-20, but needed the benefit of 3 Scioto turnovers, including a pick 6, to win that game.

- Berlin and Tangy played a very competitive game, which Berlin ended up winning with a late 4Q TD. Tangy then went into Big Walnut first round of playoffs and lost 24-20, but only after giving BW FOUR turnovers, including a 1Q fumble that set BW up in the red zone and a 3Q muffed punt that also set them up in the red zone. BW once again showed no domination of the LOS, Tangy ripped off a long TD run where the RB just ran untouched right up the middle, and had another long passing play where the WR outran their whole defense.

- Wooster, a team Massillon beat 31-0 in week 9, came down here and put up 20-7 leads against both Berlin and Scioto in the 2nd half, easily winning both games (had to fight off a late rally by Berlin, but was never really in question).

STOP giving teams who play tomato can schedules respect just because of their records and start evaluating what their kids actually can do. It is virtually impossible for Massillon to lose this game unless they hand BW several TDs via turnover.
I think they were being sarcastic

Kramer, you've been mostly correct in your talent evaluations though comparative scores are less reliable. The only common opponent is Westerville South, who BW defeated 42-7 and Massillon defeated 50-19. That tells me they are (or can be) pretty good but I'll take your word on it as you have been mostly correct. As you know from Perry last year the better team doesn't always win. I feel pretty confident though if we minimize unforced errors.

What can you tell us about the offense? Run, pass, spread, power, mobile Qb, any run-read, etc?

Thanks for that info. Solid info like that is sorely lacking on many Yappi game threads.

If Massy plays reasonably well They will win this by at least two touchdowns. BW benefited from a reasonably weak schedule but the running back is a player. I see Green Winning the other game over Wooster pretty easily also. There are far less quality teams in this region than the other three IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.