Massillon @ St. Xavier scrimmage #2

Since Massillon really doesn't focus on any other sport than football-- perhaps the Tigers could start getting ready for the 2022 football season.
Let’s stay with 2021. As was posted previously, the Massillon freshman defeated St. Xavier 21-0. Is this part of your “woke math?”

Let’s stay with 2021. As was posted previously, the Massillon freshman defeated St. Xavier 21-0. Is this part of your “woke math?”
Take your (small) victories where you can find them-- if you think winning a frosh game (or scrimmage) means anything, enjoy yourself. X plays multiple freshman teams, and uses them to find out what kind of players they have-- no one on Xs coaching staff cares all that much who wins the frosh or JV games-- these are all designed to best develop players to win varsity games.

Take your (small) victories where you can find them-- if you think winning a frosh game (or scrimmage) means anything, enjoy yourself. X plays multiple freshman teams, and uses them to find out what kind of players they have-- no one on Xs coaching staff cares all that much who wins the frosh or JV games-- these are all designed to best develop players to win varsity games.
Of course you are making excuses, LOL! 21-0. Now, I was told it was 28-0. Just remember, it is quality, not quantity.

Of course you are making excuses, LOL! 21-0. Now, I was told it was 28-0. Just remember, it is quality, not quantity.
I bet you'll be very proud of Massillon's frosh team's accomplishments at the end of another season that ends without Massillon winning its first ever varsity football state playoff title... meanwhile, I could not tell you what X's freshman football record has been in any year in the last 50 -- no one cares-- but if playing ~100 kids in a variety of positions leads to identifying some hidden gems amongst the freshman class, then X's varsity coaches will be unphased if X loses every game of the freshmen season in a complete rout.

I bet you'll be very proud of Massillon's frosh team's accomplishments at the end of another season that ends without Massillon winning its first ever varsity football state playoff title... meanwhile, I could not tell you what X's freshman football record has been in any year in the last 50 -- no one cares-- but if playing ~100 kids in a variety of positions leads to identifying some hidden gems amongst the freshman class, then X's varsity coaches will be unphased if X loses every game of the freshmen season in a complete rout.
28-0. Yes, it was a scrimmage. However, your team didn’t score.??‍♂️ That is 0.00%.

Last edited:
28-0. Yes, it was a scrimmage. However, your team didn’t score.??‍♂️
I'm just devastated-- I guess I'll have to console myself with the clear-cut advantage that X exhibited in the varsity game-- it's a good thing it was too hot to continue-- that scrimmage was not going well for Massillon. No one cares who wins a scrimmage-- at the varsity or the frosh level-- but the coaches certainly care who was dominating the lines of scrimmage, and imposing their will on the opponent. You should have been there to hear some of the "strong" language that Massillon's head coach directed at his team (audible all the way across the field, and up the stands), when he called time out to yell at his defense after X ran the ball down the field with relative ease on its first offensive series.

I'm just devastated-- I guess I'll have to console myself with the clear-cut advantage that X exhibited in the varsity game-- it's a good thing it was too hot to continue-- that scrimmage was not going well for Massillon. No one cares who wins a scrimmage-- at the varsity or the frosh level-- but the coaches certainly care who was dominating the lines of scrimmage, and imposing their will on the opponent. You should have been there to hear some of the "strong" language that Massillon's head coach directed at his team (audible all the way across the field, and up the stands), when he called time out to yell at his defense after X ran the ball down the field with relative ease on its first offensive series.
Wow. You are grasping at straws. Evidently, Coach Moore’s yelling must have worked.

Massillon had one carry for ~50 yards-- other than that, it was 6 carries for ~15 yards. Massillon never stopped X, when X ran left; most of X's runs went for 6-8 yards at at time. Massillon also never stopped X's short and intermediate passing game.

Also, the scrimmage did not seem to use true alternating possessions-- as noted above, at least twice, after X stopped Massillon on downs, the play re-started with Massillon's offense getting the ball again-- whereas that never was done for X. Thus the offensive possession were weighted in Massillon's favor.

If you think it was roughly equal, then have at it. I believe that a real game between these two teams right now would not be close.
So my question is why didnt st x get in the endzone? Come one bruh you cant be that blind IDC if X moved the ball at will it Didnt result in a TD bottom line

Why don't you console yourself and get back out on the picket line for that $15/hr. wage you've been craving for the last two years.

So my question is why didnt st x get in the endzone? Come one bruh you cant be that blind IDC if X moved the ball at will it Didnt result in a TD bottom line
Most of the above is incomprehensible; but I answered your question with my first summary of the scrimmage-- the only thing that stopped X was penalties. The first time down inside the 10-yard line, there was a holding call-- which looked (from above) like it would be cancelled out by a horse-collar tackle on the defense-- which was not called. Additional penalties stopped the second drive inside the 20. Anyone watching the scrimmage could see that X mounted multiple sustained drives. Massillon had no drives-- just the one long run, on a broken play. I know which team would win a real game, with official rules-- and it would not be close. This was the equivalent of a little more than a quarter of a game.

Why don't you console yourself and get back out on the picket line for that $15/hr. wage you've been craving for the last two years.
I don't need to-- I'm already consoled by the way X showed itself to be much the better team, in yesterday's ~quarter of play.

Saw boxcast. Agreed X had a better sustained drive, though vs Massillon’s 2”s. Good line play. Massillon breaking in new QB with little if any JV experience due to circumstances, so that will improve with reps hopefully. Too bad it got cut short.

As a Massillon fan I want to see the QB progress, and he will. And I still think we need more perimeter rush offense. We can run straight through most teams like butter but the very top dogs really clog up the middle. On D we ran to ball well, decent speed, good secondary, vulnerable on edges though, also a recurring issue.

Saw boxcast. Agreed X had a better sustained drive, though vs Massillon’s 2”s. Good line play. Massillon breaking in new QB with little if any JV experience due to circumstances, so that will improve with reps hopefully. Too bad it got cut short.

As a Massillon fan I want to see the QB progress, and he will. And I still think we need more perimeter rush offense. We can run straight through most teams like butter but the very top dogs really clog up the middle. On D we ran to ball well, decent speed, good secondary, vulnerable on edges though, also a recurring issue.
Not sure about X's drive(s) being against "Massillon's 2"s"-- you know who Massillon's starters are better than I do-- but it happened on X's first drive-- did Massillon open up the scrimmage with their second string defense on the field? If so, I don't know why the Massillon coach called an early timeout, and screamed at his defense to start stopping the run-- if he was using his "2"s" at that point, maybe he should have considered putting in his "1"s"? X really only got the ball for 3 or 4 possessions before the teams called it-- and X moved it down the field on the first two possessions.

Not sure why the need to fight over who won, but as an X fan would say a couple things I was concerned about
QB made a couple bad decision and bad throws that he shouldn’t
WR didn’t block as well as they need to
Offense was very vanilla, guessing that was because they didn’t want to show anything but hope they are getting good practice reps because they didn’t get many in game situations

defense they put a lot of pressure on corners but there were way to many open receivers
Gio is going to be the hardest to replace from last yr but they need to find something
Cannot get gashed for long run like that

I don't need to-- I'm already consoled by the way X showed itself to be much the better team, in yesterday's ~quarter of play.
Seriously? You are arguing about the results of a scrimmage? Get a life, man...

Well if it takes a high school football scrimmage to console you son, then you have way bigger issues. Like making sure your first weekend homework is done on time for Monday slow learner classes.

A talented but inexperienced Massillon team faces the defending state D1 champion, who with their returning starters could be said to be the odds on favorite to repeat. An objective observer would evaluate the dominance of St. X's offensive line but not to the degree that they could get in the end zone or dominate stats for the game.

On the other hand Massillon missed 3 three legitimate scoring opportunities on 2 pass plays and a long run. Massillon has no chance to gain experience with their early schedule, so the talent is there, as exhibited at times against St. X but will have to develop quickly (hopefully with play calling that allows the QB to gain early confidence and takes advantage of their talented running backs).

The final score was a legitimate reflection of the problems both teams need to work on before the season starts.

Massillon was expected to struggle against the defending champ BUT evidentially St. X has work to do because their graduating starters have apparently effected them performing as they did last year.

Trolls that grasp at straws, making excuses for the outcome have no basis for their evaluation of their team at the same level as last yrs. state champions for obvious reasons.

Those that watched the scrimmage didn't see either team on the verge of blowing the other one out!

The coaching staffs have work to do to determine how far both teams finish.

Did ST. X lose too much to repeat or is Massillon reloading and not rebuilding,from three consecutive state finals?

I'm betting on the latter with Coach Moore, his record merits it!

Last edited: