Marion Local Renovating Football Field

Right, but that’s likely not the case. You’d have to figure not only hours spent to figure salary, but you’d also have to apportion mower time, maintenance, depreciation, etc to just the football field compared to the other things being mowed. Then there are things like fertilizer - how much did you spend overall and how much went on the football field? Watering costs? Gallons per minute used only on the football field, well or city water, electric used to run the pumps…

I agree that if a school was doing an analysis of whether to turf or grass, you’d need to do studies like these. But in general, back of the envelope math can tell you most of these small schools (especially those without soccer) aren’t going to benefit financially from turf.
you are right, i don't see the benefit if it is just being used by one school for their JH and HS football program, but like the field at Delphos, where two schools share it, probably worth the cost

Pickerington Central - Natural Grass

48 games (girls/boys soccer, JV and Varsity football) in 72 days in the 2020 season. Here is the field for Week One and Week Ten, respectively.

View attachment 28934

View attachment 28935

Every situation/district is unique but, the choice isn't simply between a mud pit and synthetic turf.
we have had this talk about this field, would love to see the program for this field, and the process it went thru to be this way.... and of course the yearly costs

we have had this talk about this field, would love to see the program for this field, and the process it went thru to be this way.... and of course the yearly costs
Bruh. I love that field but Pick is the anomaly, not the rule. Most schools don't have coin to keep the turf that nice after all those games on it. That's water, seed, fert, weeding ect to keep it like that. Heck seed and fertilizer alone dang near doubled in the past year. Personally, a big bag of scott's now cost me 85 when it used to be 55 for the same bag a year ago.

Bruh. I love that field but Pick is the anomaly, not the rule. Most schools don't have coin to keep the turf that nice after all those games on it. That's water, seed, fert, weeding ect to keep it like that. Heck seed and fertilizer alone dang near doubled in the past year. Personally, a big bag of scott's now cost me 85 when it used to be 55 for the same bag a year ago.
maybe they are being supplied with FERTILIZER from other school districts in Columbus.....LOL!

Why is it the anomaly though? There's more bad money spent before good in a lot of places. There are a lot of good intentions in many places but, they lack the execution. I would venture to say at least 95% of the football schools in OHSAA have the financial resources to have a great game field. The ones who are currently not hitting the mark often lack the priorities and focus to get it done.

Why is it the anomaly though? There's more bad money spent before good in a lot of places. There are a lot of good intentions in many places but, they lack the execution. I would venture to say at least 95% of the football schools in OHSAA have the financial resources to have a great game field. The ones who are currently not hitting the mark often lack the priorities and focus to get it done.
So how much realistically would it cost to hire a landscaping company and have them maintain a grass football field? Serious question? I've been told a school in my area does it for $20,000 a year and they have a beautiful grass field. Is that the actual number? I have no idea but even if it was $50,000 a year that still a lot cheaper than turf.

So how much realistically would it cost to hire a landscaping company and have them maintain a grass football field? Serious question? I've been told a school in my area does it for $20,000 a year and they have a beautiful grass field. Is that the actual number? I have no idea but even if it was $50,000 a year that still a lot cheaper than turf.
But, if you also have to do the same for a soccer field and spend half that much on practice fields, now you are starting to get close to equal spending and all things being equal I think most players (opinion, not sure I can measure it) love the turf. From a coaches perspective I enjoy turf - consistent on the way a ball bounces, how rain effects a game, plus I wear my white coaching shoes lol

But, if you also have to do the same for a soccer field and spend half that much on practice fields, now you are starting to get close to equal spending and all things being equal I think most players (opinion, not sure I can measure it) love the turf. From a coaches perspective I enjoy turf - consistent on the way a ball bounces, how rain effects a game, plus I wear my white coaching shoes lol
If you have soccer (especially boys and girls) then it makes more sense but a lot of small schools do not.

If you don't have soccer, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense

hey those Nike Cortez shoes are very comfortable, as William Hurt said, in the Big chill, I'm never going to take these off.....

You must not watch too many ML football games. Flyers usually have scatbacks at rb who excel on field turf and Tim Goodwin is a big proponent of playing on field turf.
you must not watch too many ML football games because they've had like 4 different running backs tear their ACL's on turf fields over the years

There are many benefits to turf, but cost effectiveness is not one of them. No grass field anywhere costs $1.5 million (install and replacement of a turf field, not counting any repair or maintenance) to maintain for 10 years.
Converting grass to turf is not a million dollar expense. Anyone who claims that is adding in other renovations to the stadium in with it.

My high school spent $600k to switch and replacing the turf will be (in current dollars) about $250k-300k.

Earth moving is the big expense with most grass fields having a high crown that needs leveled or removed. And then the sand and any base layers brought in.

Also how many graphics you have sewn into the turf adds labor. But not too much

Converting grass to turf is not a million dollar expense. Anyone who claims that is adding in other renovations to the stadium in with it.

My high school spent $600k to switch and replacing the turf will be (in current dollars) about $250k-300k.

Earth moving is the big expense with most grass fields having a high crown that needs leveled or removed. And then the sand and any base layers brought in.

Also how many graphics you have sewn into the turf adds labor. But not too much
Who is getting turf replaced for 250k??

hey those Nike Cortez shoes are very comfortable, as William Hurt said, in the Big chill, I'm never going to take these off.....
I love the Nike Cortez shoes. Loved them, in the 80s. Still making them and can buy them online. Thanks for reminding me, time for new ones.

you must not watch too many ML football games because they've had like 4 different running backs tear their ACL's on turf fields over the years
Season tix holder. Tim G. has said several times he prefers field turf over grass. I am well aware ML has had 3 rb's with ACL tears on field turf, however the one ACL injury I think had more to do with the hit itself than field turf. However it is more cost effective for the Flyers to have a grass field than field turf.

Season tix holder. Tim G. has said several times he prefers field turf over grass. I am well aware ML has had 3 rb's with ACL tears on field turf, however the one ACL injury I think had more to do with the hit itself than field turf. However it is more cost effective for the Flyers to have a grass field than field turf.
The one hit in question, did it happen to be out of bounds in a state final ?

I love the Nike Cortez shoes. Loved them, in the 80s. Still making them and can buy them online. Thanks for reminding me, time for new ones.
heck yes, besides PF Flyers( run faster , jump higher) and Chuck Taylors.......Nike Cortez shoes were the best.... Chicks digged them back in the late 70's and 80's..... LOL!!!