Many voters say Congress is broken. Could proportional representation fix it?

If it did lead to a multiple party system, where the two major parties would be required to compromise their positions in order to get a majority I would be for it.

The founders did not envision ever reaching the point we have came to IMO. nothing more clearly demonstrates the absurdity of a two party system more than the results of the recent supreme court confirmations or presidential trials of Clinton and Trump, You can have districts comprised of 25% Democrats, 30% independents and 45% Republicans, and the Republicans will win every time.

So with proportional representation, if a state with more than 6 representatives has 45% Republicans, 30% independents and 25% Democrats the seats would be filled accordingly?

The primary problem I see with this is if we still remain a two party system that is so diametrically opposed, we still will have the same division.

No on rank choice voting. Look where the link is from which should tell you everything you need to know who it will benefit. Study the Alaska senate race won by a very unpopular republican candidate named Lisa Murkowski due directly because of rank choice voting techniques. It' just another way to rig who won.

If we forced an end to gerrymandering we could solve many of these problems. Instead we have situations like Illinois and North Carolina.

What the North Carolina republicans just unleashed is one of the worst gerrymanders of all time. Took the state from a 7-7 split to a 13-3-1 republican map. It’s even more absurd when you see that it was a Trump +1 state with a democratic governor and several other state wide dems.

Districting needs to be taken out of the hands of the politicians for good.

No on rank choice voting. Look where the link is from which should tell you everything you need to know who it will benefit. Study the Alaska senate race won by a very unpopular republican candidate named Lisa Murkowski due directly because of rank choice voting techniques. It' just another way to rig who won.

Murkowski has wide support amongst Alaska’s electorate. The far right might not like her but she does well with pretty much everyone else.

The real reason that republicans don’t like ranked choice is that it forces out candidates on the fringes.

Last edited:
Murkowski has wide support amongst Alaska’s electorate. The far right might not like her but she does well with pretty much everyone else.

The real reason that republicans don’t like ranked choice is that it forces out candidates on the fringes.
Well maybe she was well liked but her opponent was pretty well liked also in fact I believe her opponent was polling over 51% so it allowed democrates to help assure Murkowski a victory because it kept her opponent from 51%.

Well maybe she was well liked but her opponent was pretty well liked also in fact I believe her opponent was polling over 51% so it allowed democrates to help assure Murkowski a victory because it kept her opponent from 51%.

Murkowski beat Tshibaka in the republican primary, first round and final round voting. Your claim isn’t holding water.

Alaska is pretty unique. Their politics swing wildly between federal handouts and oil.

No. The real reason is that it's a scam. It's both a dynamic that is more subject to manipulation, and essentially a vote for no one but some fungible hybrid of candidacy.

One person, one vote, and when it comes to filling an Office, that vote should be for one candidate, not for a concept.

Last edited:
If we forced an end to gerrymandering we could solve many of these problems. Instead we have situations like Illinois and North Carolina.

What the North Carolina republicans just unleashed is one of the worst gerrymanders of all time. Took the state from a 7-7 split to a 13-3-1 republican map. It’s even more absurd when you see that it was a Trump +1 state with a democratic governor and several other state wide dems.

There should be a formula for federal districting. No more than one district should cross over a municipal boundary, much like NO district boundaries cross state lines, and preferably none. No more than one district should ever cross a county's boundary. Start in each state from the cities whose populations are greater than that of the population of a federal district. Make the remaining districts each have the shortest boundary possible when taking in the rural counties. One program for every state.

I regret that I can only give this a thumbs up once.

The proposal in the OP is clearly unconstitutional.

Rank choice voting passes muster but is subject to election results being engineered with stealth candidates as mentioned above.

And is a paralyzed Congress a bad thing? The checks and balances in the Constitution protect the minority and serve as a break against extreme changes of direction, be they left or right.

Honestly, I'd increase the size of the House. 435 is too small, it's like an eternal high school senior class bickering and acting like brats. Proportional representation or ranked choice is just going to confuse people. If you had 800 (or whatever number) instead of 435 more local communities would have direct representation. Greater Canton is split between a woman from Akron and a guy in Youngstown. That's ridiculous.

Honestly, I'd increase the size of the House. 435 is too small, it's like an eternal high school senior class bickering and acting like brats. Proportional representation or ranked choice is just going to confuse people. If you had 800 (or whatever number) instead of 435 more local communities would have direct representation. Greater Canton is split between a woman from Akron and a guy in Youngstown. That's ridiculous.

It’s pretty bad but not quite as bad putting Mercer county and Lorain county in the same district. Someone tell me what exactly Lorain and Elyria share in common with Mercer county?

If the US Census was no longer counting illegal aliens in coastal sanctuary cities for purposes of apportionment and districting, maybe Ohio would jump back up to 21 seats ? It is what it is. Wait until 2031, if these people can hold power