MAHONING VALLEY BOYS SCORES & DISCUSSION

Yesterday the Ursuline & Struthers girls faced off. I wish the Irish & 'Cats boys would renew their old rivalry, too. They are usually among the top teams year after year.

Given that Fitch is the largest high school in the 3 county area of Trumbull, Mahoning, & Columbiana, it is surprising that they can't land more upperclassmen on their varsity squad.
Everything I was told, both were at full strength. As for the Falcons roster, they do have 6 seniors, underclassmen are better I guess.

I sure miss the old days when the Vindicator would print an account of the weekend games in Saturday and Sunday editions (in those days principally in the City Series, Steel Valley Conference, and later Mahoning Valley Conference.) Eventually the Wednesday editions would have descripts of the Tuesday games. Coaches would be interviewed in Monday and Tuesday editions prior. We'd know essentially what was happening with the teams and leagues. Newspapers (the ones that have survived anyway) have all seemingly moved away from this kind of feature of scholastic sports. A loss, I think.
Basically there are no " local" papers any longer. Everything is owned by 1 large syndicated business that uses USA today. Local sports for the most part an afterthought. Think Mahoning Valley actually does better with local broadcasting than some.

Falcons blew out Howland last night, 50-28.
If Fitch wins some games people don't think they should, they've obviously not watched them play.
I watched some of that Howland game and their defense was smothering to say the least. They were really hustling all game long.
Their three losses were to really good teams, GlenOak by 1 on the road, at Louisville and against Erie Prep. Louisville and GlenOak are having fantastic seasons so far and Prep is almost always one of the top teams in PA.
Fitch is a very good team this year and fun to watch.

If Fitch wins some games people don't think they should, they've obviously not watched them play.
I watched some of that Howland game and their defense was smothering to say the least. They were really hustling all game long.
Their three losses were to really good teams, GlenOak by 1 on the road, at Louisville and against Erie Prep. Louisville and GlenOak are having fantastic seasons so far and Prep is almost always one of the top teams in PA.
Fitch is a very good team this year and fun to watch.
Game to watch: Friday, January 20: Austintown Fitch @ Ursuline

January 8, 1971 52 years ago
Boardman vs Ursuline at Boardman sold out--- 3000 tickets sold. (Ursuline only received 200 tickets).
Spartans ranked #1 and Ursuline #9 among big schools in AP & UPI.
(Info from recent The Boardman News)
Irish & Mooney only in second year of SVC BB competition.

January 8, 1971 52 years ago
Boardman vs Ursuline at Boardman sold out--- 3000 tickets sold. (Ursuline only received 200 tickets).
Spartans ranked #1 and Ursuline #9 among big schools in AP & UPI.
(Info from recent The Boardman News)
Irish & Mooney only in second year of SVC BB competition.
My junior year I believe. Boardman opened their new 3,000 seat gym in 1969. It was typical for Boardman in those days to give only 200-300 tickets to the visitors. 300 if you were lucky. They had a slew of "trees" back in those days. Can't remember the names but those guys were a state power during that time.
So many weeks later--- another situation. Sold out--- but this time Struthers was able to connive 900 tickets, most of which were students. I was there with my friends for an absolutely incredible game. Struthers was hitting "lights out" in the first quarter and built a nice lead that the Spartans never recovered. Boardman fans sat there stunned after the game.

The next school day I remember the sign in our cafeteria:
Remember the Alamo
Remember the Maine
But don't forget the Boardman game
63-52

We were the first team to win in their new gym. Took quite a while before anyone was able to do the same.
What an awesome experience.

My junior year I believe. Boardman opened their new 3,000 seat gym in 1969. It was typical for Boardman in those days to give only 200-300 tickets to the visitors. 300 if you were lucky. They had a slew of "trees" back in those days. Can't remember the names but those guys were a state power during that time.
So many weeks later--- another situation. Sold out--- but this time Struthers was able to connive 900 tickets, most of which were students. I was there with my friends for an absolutely incredible game. Struthers was hitting "lights out" in the first quarter and built a nice lead that the Spartans never recovered. Boardman fans sat there stunned after the game.

Remember the Alamo
Remember the Maine
63-52

We were the first team to win in their new gym. Took quite a while before anyone was able to do the same.
Did Struthers & Boardman share the SVC BB title in 1970? Those were incredible years in area athletics and nothing was bigger than Boardman-Struthers basketball. In '70-'71 the Spartans played Farrell (perennial PA power) and it was the first ever local televised HS game. Boardman should have won the state title in 1971--ranked #1 from wire to wire. They had what Don Gardner called "the Redwoods." Tremendous athletes. Akron Central-Hower upset them in the regional final. BHS finished 22-1. Boardman was very elite then. I think they looked upon visiting Struthers, Girard, Campbell as "slumming." Eight team SVC with Girard, Hubbard, Fitch, Campbell, Boardman, Struthers, Mooney, & Ursuline. Each played twice so there were only 4 non-conference games on the schedule. It was exciting to be a student at Ursuline too. Boardman won the SVC football title that year as well. Their only loss 12-0 vs. Ursuline @ Rayen. Ursuline was only 5-5 that year while Boardman finished 9-1. So the combined football-basketball record at Boardman '70-'71 was 31-2.

Last edited:

Remember the Alamo
Remember the Maine
63-52

I think two of Boardman's big stars back then was Greg Dunn, and Jay Powell. I do remember those names from that team

Did Struthers & Boardman share the SVC BB title in 1970? Those were incredible years in area athletics and nothing was bigger than Boardman-Struthers basketball. In '70-'71 the Spartans played Farrell (perennial PA power) and it was the first ever local televised HS game. Boardman should have won the state title in 1971--ranked #1 from wire to wire. They had what Don Gardner called "the Redwoods." Tremendous athletes. Akron Central-Hower upset them in the regional final. BHS finished 22-1. Boardman was very elite then. I think they looked upon visiting Struthers, Girard, Campbell as "slumming." Eight team SVC with Girard, Hubbard, Fitch, Campbell, Boardman, Struthers, Mooney, & Ursuline. Each played twice so there were only 4 non-conference games on the schedule. It was exciting to be a student at Ursuline too. Boardman won the SVC football title that year as well. Their only loss 12-0 vs. Ursuline @ Rayen. Ursuline was only 5-5 that year while Boardman finished 9-1. So the combined football-basketball record at Boardman '70-'71 was 31-2.

Don Gardner!

Boardman & Struthers did share the SVC title in 1970. I think they shared it in 69 also. The aforementioned Greg Dunn & Jay Powell were two of the Spartans top players but Rich Harr & Dave Erickson were two of the "Redwoods" for Boardman. Paul Fazekas was younger but he was another Boardman "Redwood" at 6'9".

@Struthersfan I may be wrong about this but do you remember John Kerlek transferring to Boardman from Struthers around that time? I want to say that the Wildcat fans were very upset about that because his father was once their hoops HC and Boardman was a big rival then.

Boardman & Struthers did share the SVC title in 1970. I think they shared it in 69 also. The aforementioned Greg Dunn & Jay Powell were two of the Spartans top players but Rich Harr & Dave Erickson were two of the "Redwoods" for Boardman. Paul Fazekas was younger but he was another Boardman "Redwood" at 6'9".

@Struthersfan I may be wrong about this but do you remember John Kerlek transferring to Boardman from Struthers around that time? I want to say that the Wildcat fans were very upset about that because his father was once their hoops HC and Boardman was a big rival then.
'69-'70 was the 1st year of eligibility for Mooney & Ursuline in SVC bb play. The schools scampered to fill schedules and were able to fit in all 14 conference games in a scattered kind of way. The Irish ended up playing Boardman & Struthers back to back on Fri & Sat the 2nd or 3rd weekend of Dec. (No Tues games in those days.) Ursuline had a very good team in a BB renaissance at the school after being City Series doormat for several years (coming off the school's 1st ever District title in '68-'69 when the cinderella Irish took all the marble and had eliminated SVC co-champ and 1st seed Boardman 86-54 with Darnell Paul, Bennie Allison, Tom Tamburino, Ellis Bird, etc.). Mooney beat us 13 in a row until '68. But boy was that particular Dec '69 weekend BRUTAL. Then Struthers was on the slate again the following week, that's how haphazard the scheduling was. I loved that era of the SVC. Mooney's first ever official conference game was an opening loss to Fitch the firt Friday of Dec '69 while Ursuline topped Girard across town. It's all like yesterday to me but I can't tell you what I ate for dinner yesterday.

'69-'70 was the 1st year of eligibility for Mooney & Ursuline in SVC bb play. The schools scampered to fill schedules and were able to fit in all 14 conference games in a scattered kind of way. The Irish ended up playing Boardman & Struthers back to back on Fri & Sat the 2nd or 3rd weekend of Dec. (No Tues games in those days.) Ursuline had a very good team in a BB renaissance at the school after being City Series doormat for several years (coming off the school's 1st ever District title in '68-'69 when the cinderella Irish took all the marble and had eliminated SVC co-champ and 1st seed Boardman 86-54 with Darnell Paul, Bennie Allison, Tom Tamburino, Ellis Bird, etc.). Mooney beat us 13 in a row until '68. But boy was that particular Dec '69 weekend BRUTAL. Then Struthers was on the slate again the following week, that's how haphazard the scheduling was. I loved that era of the SVC. Mooney's first ever official conference game was an opening loss to Fitch the firt Friday of Dec '69 while Ursuline topped Girard across town. It's all like yesterday to me but I can't tell you what I ate for dinner yesterday.
That was my senior year. Mooney's first four games were all SVC games. As you mentioned there were 14 league games and Mooney only played 18 games in the regular season finishing 9-9 and then lost to Poland in the tourney. As I remember it the Cardinals' four OOC games were against East Palestine, Kennedy Christian, Springfield Local & Niles.

High School Boys’ Basketball Game of the Week
Friday, January 6, 2023, at 7 pm LIVE on MyYTV
Ursuline (7-1) at Chaney (4-4)

You can watch the Game of the Week:

Digital over the air at 33.2
Armstrong Cable Channel 13 and 108
Comcast Cable Channel 3
Direct TV Channel 15
MyYTV – Spectrum Channel 997 or 1008
Last 5 Meetings
Feb. 1, 2022 – Chaney, 70-65
Jan. 7, 2022 – Chaney, 72-52
Feb. 12, 2021 – Chaney, 63-55
Jan. 26, 2021 – Chaney, 67-62
Jan. 28, 2020 – Chaney, 63-55

Last Meeting
…Despite the combination of Ursuline standouts Terrance Pankey (26) and Vinny Flauto (23) going for 49 of the team’s 65 points, it was Chaney who came away with a 70-65 victory last February. DJ Waller scored 21 points to lead the Cowboys. Clive Wilson also finished with 18 points.

Team Statistics
Scoring Offense: Ursuline, 63.6; Chaney, 51.3
Scoring Defense: Ursuline, 42.6; Chaney, 50.5

Game Notes
-Since Chaney and Ursuline renewed their matchups in 2018, the Cowboys have won each of their last eight meetings. However, six of those eight outings have been decided by 8 points or less.

-Ursuline has won four straight games since falling to Canfield on December 13, 58-50. During their four-game win streak, Terrance Pankey has averaged 18.3 points.

Ursuline standout reaches milestone in Irish victory
-To close out 2022, the Fighting Irish received double-figure contributions from four different players (Dashaun Will, 13; Vinny Flauto, 11; Will Burney, 11; Terrance Pankey, 10) as Ursuline topped Springfield – 54-22 – on December 27.

-On Tuesday, Pankey led the way with 24 points to top Harding – 69-41. Dashaun Will and Jayden Payne scored 16 and 13 points, respectively.

-Chaney snapped their two-game losing streak by defeating Mayfield on December 29 – 67-53. Josiah Gonzalez scored a team-high 21 points and Jason Hewlett added 20 points.

Big 3rd quarter leads Chaney past Warren Harding
-When the Cowboys score 50 points or more, they’re 3-0 this year.

Upcoming Schedule
Ursuline
Jan. 10 – at East
Jan. 13 – Cardinal Mooney
Jan. 15 – Martin Luther King Tribute Tournament

Chaney
Jan. 10 – at Cardinal Mooney
Jan. 13 – at East
Jan 14- Kennedy Catholic

That was my senior year. Mooney's first four games were all SVC games. As you mentioned there were 14 league games and Mooney only played 18 games in the regular season finishing 9-9 and then lost to Poland in the tourney. As I remember it the Cardinals' four OOC games were against East Palestine, Kennedy Christian, Springfield Local & Niles.
The Irish 4 OOC games in '69-'70 were I believe Brookfield, Aquinas, Sharon Kennedy, & WGH. Interestingly none of CM & U's former City rivals were on their slates, although Ursuline did play and eliminate Rayen & North in the tournament. There was a lot of excitement on the northside with the Rayen game---ancient rivals as we were. The Irish finished 16-6 with half their deficit to the Spartans.

Last edited:

Yes. you are correct. John was in my class and the son of the successful coach George Kerlek. John played his freshman year at Struthers before transferring to Boardman.
And yes, people were furious about the move. Felt there was some shenanigans going on over at Boardman for him to make the move.
I was ticked a bit, but I understand why he did it. There would be tons of exposure playing for the Spartans during those days. They were well known all over the state for quite a while. With ALL the talent they had, they should have had a couple of rings, but got upset in games they shouldn't have lost. Central-Hower comes to mind for one.

Those definitely were the "heyday" for the SVC. It was THE premier conference in the area, and one of the best in the state. Gyms were packed, unlike now. Plenty of games at the Fieldhouse in front of 2500 plus. Many were full at 3200 if not more. Even the South Fieldhouse used to be packed for tournaments, regardless of who was playing.
They stopped using South after a Boardman South district contest, when many cars of Boardman fans were damaged. People used to put their school stickers on their car or had license plate holders, so you knew where the car was from. Eventually the tournaments were moved to Struthers. Big schools playing there along with all the smaller schools in the area, you had games being played virtually every night during tournament time. It was crazy back then.

Yes. you are correct. John was in my class and the son of the successful coach George Kerlek. John played his freshman year at Struthers before transferring to Boardman.
And yes, people were furious about the move. Felt there was some shenanigans going on over at Boardman for him to make the move.
I was ticked a bit, but I understand why he did it. There would be tons of exposure playing for the Spartans during those days. They were well known all over the state for quite a while. With ALL the talent they had, they should have had a couple of rings, but got upset in games they shouldn't have lost. Central-Hower comes to mind for one.

Thank you, sir.

Jan 6
Struthers 62, @ Poland 58
Ursuline 80, @ Chaney 65
@ Austintown Fitch 50, Boardman 47
East 45, @ Cardinal Mooney 44
@ WGH 56, Howland 51
Niles McKinley 79, Hubbard 61
@ Girard 47, Jefferson 44
@ Campbell Memorial 73, Champion 51
@ Louisville 55, Canfield 46
LaBrae 64, @ Brookfield 48
@ Carrollton 39, West Branch 34
Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas 75, @ JFK 64
Garrettsville Garfield 62 @ Liberty 55
Badger 74, @ Conneaut 29
@ Western Reserve 42, @ McDonald 38
Mineral Ridge @ Waterloo
Middlefield Cardinal 54 @ Vienna Matthews 50
Wellsville 53, Lisbon 51
Columbiana 58, Leetonia 20
Newton Falls 60, Crestview 49
Marlington 64, Salem 55
Lowellville 60, Sebring 23
Mogadore 69, Southeast 44
Heartland Christian 70, Southington 43

Last edited:
Jan 7
@ East Liverpool 44, Oak Glen WV 12
South Range 51, Lowellville 47
Mathews 67, Weirton WV Madonna 42
Mogadore 74, Maplewood 54

Last edited:
Jan 10
Girard 45, @ Hubbard 41
WGH 65, @ Austintown Fitch 48
Canfield 49, @ Boardman 34
Chaney 55, @ Cardinal Mooney 47
South Range 44, @ Poland 42
Ursuline 79, @ East 37
Struthers 74, Lakeview 56
@ East Liverpool 53, Beaver Local 39
Mathews 66, @ Fairport Harbor Harding 65
Campbell Memorial 63, @ Crestview 51
Newton Falls 44, @ Garrettsville Garfield 31
Brookfield 81, @ Champion 61
JFK 90, Southeast 72
@ Jefferson 74, Niles McKinley 52
LaBrae 64, @ Liberty 60
Lowellville 68, @ Mineral Ridge 41
@ Sebring McKinley 41, McDonald 40
Columbiana over East Palestine FF
West Branch 60, Salem 47
Sebring 41, McDonald 40
Lisbon 54, United 45
Wellsville 58, Valley Christian 52
Western Reserve 59, Jackson-Milton 52
Waterloo 40, Southern Local 37

Jan 11
Heartland Christian @ East Palestine

Jan 13
Cardinal Mooney @ Ursuline
Chaney @ East
Howland @ Austintown Fitch
Liberty @ Campbell Memorial
Poland @ Girard
South Range @ Hubbard
Salem @ Alliance
WGH @ Canfield
Jefferson @ Struthers
West Branch @ Minerva
East Liverpool @ Steubenville
East Palestine @ Lisbon
Newton Falls @ Brookfield
Lakeview @ Niles McKinley
Mineral Ridge @ Waterloo
Lowellville @ McDonald

Jan 14
Howland @ Boardman
Valley Christian @ Heartland Christian

Last edited:
John Kerlek played his junior high years at Springfield Local. Lee Klingensmith (sp?) had visions of him playing for the Tigers. I played at North Lima and we faced him twice, all of us were in the 5'-6" range, Kerlek was already 6'-6".

John Kerlek played his junior high years at Springfield Local. Lee Klingensmith (sp?) had visions of him playing for the Tigers. I played at North Lima and we faced him twice, all of us were in the 5'-6" range, Kerlek was already 6'-6".

Did you play with Bill McMeans at N. Lima?

Jan 10
Girard 45, @ Hubbard 41
WGH 65, @ Austintown Fitch 48
Canfield 49, @ Boardman 34
Chaney 55, @ Cardinal Mooney 47
South Range 44, @ Poland 42
Ursuline 79, @ East 37
Struthers 74, Lakeview 56
@ East Liverpool 53, Beaver Local 39
Mathews 66, @ Fairport Harbor Harding 65
Campbell Memorial 63, @ Crestview 51
Newton Falls 44, @ Garrettsville Garfield 31
Brookfield 81, @ Champion 61
JFK 90, Southeast 72
@ Jefferson 74, Niles McKinley 52
LaBrae 64, @ Liberty 60
Lowellville 68, @ Mineral Ridge 41
@ Sebring McKinley 41, McDonald 40
Columbiana over East Palestine FF
West Branch 60, Salem 47
Sebring 41, McDonald 40
Lisbon 54, United 45
Wellsville 58, Valley Christian 52
Western Reserve 59, Jackson-Milton 52
Waterloo 40, Southern Local 37

Jan 11
Heartland Christian @ East Palestine

Jan 13
Cardinal Mooney @ Ursuline
Chaney @ East
Howland @ Austintown Fitch
Liberty @ Campbell Memorial
Poland @ Girard
South Range @ Hubbard
Salem @ Alliance
WGH @ Canfield
Jefferson @ Struthers
West Branch @ Minerva
East Liverpool @ Steubenville
East Palestine @ Lisbon
Newton Falls @ Brookfield
Lakeview @ Niles McKinley
Mineral Ridge @ Waterloo
Lowellville @ McDonald

Jan 14
Howland @ Boardman
Valley Christian @ Heartland Christian
Any score updates for Friday the 13th and does any one have current league standing?

Did you play with Bill McMeans at N. Lima?
I was a freshman when Bill was a senior. I believe he was named All Ohio, Mr Basketball (?) that year. I think he averaged over 30 ppg that year & lead the state in free throw %. I know I never saw him miss from the foul line. He went to YSU where Dom Rosselli (?) basically "wasted" him trying to force him into the post with his back to the basket. He was a pure shooter, heaven only knows what his stats would have been with a 3 point line. (We played for Rex Leach who at that time held the Ohio all time scoring record)

I was a freshman when Bill was a senior. I believe he was named All Ohio, Mr Basketball (?) that year. I think he averaged over 30 ppg that year & lead the state in free throw %. I know I never saw him miss from the foul line. He went to YSU where Dom Rosselli (?) basically "wasted" him trying to force him into the post with his back to the basket. He was a pure shooter, heaven only knows what his stats would have been with a 3 point line. (We played for Rex Leach who at that time held the Ohio all time scoring record)

I was a junior when Bill was a sr. He was 1st team All-State and he did average over 30 ppg as a sr. but I don't know the exact number. I want to say 31 but I'm not sure. I saw him score 42 in a tourney game that year but it wasn't one of his better shooting nights. He had about half of the total from the free throw line. I remember an article that Chuck Perazich of the Vindicator wrote about Mr. McMeans during his senior season and in the article coach Leach was quoted as saying McMeans was the best player he ever coached. I think the article said he was averaging about 34 or 35 ppg then but I am almost positive his final average was a little bit lower.

In the mid-70s I played in a league at the Pearl Street Mission, I think it was actually the Methodist Community Center on Pearl St. on the east side but most of the guys called it the Pearl St. Mission. A lot of former All-City players played in the league. The various McElroys, including John, played in the league. Tom Mobery from East, Dave Cousart from Rayen, Sam Scott from Ursuline, I want to say Amos Haynes from North, etc. Anyway, we had a very good shooting team but not much size so rebounding against those guys was a problem. Basically we got one shot and the other team got until it went in. :)

One of the guys got Mr. McMeans to join us but as you mentioned he didn't like playing in the post with his back to the basket, even though he was about 6'7." He just wanted to camp out in the corner and shoot jumpers, which he was deadly with. Also as you mentioned those would have all been three pointers now. As I was getting pummeled underneath fighting for a rebound at almost a foot shorter than Bill while he was firing from the corner I remember thinking something is wrong with this picture! :) I think we managed to win 3 or 4 games but wad a great time playing and then heading to the Royal Oaks afterward.