East Liverpool 61, Steubenville 51
Massillon Jackson 60, Cardinal Mooney 38
Newton Falls 58, Lakeview 46
Badger 62, Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas 56
West Branch 55, Minerva 45
Columbiana 50, Heartland Christian 47
Western Reserve 49, Lisbon 47

Last edited:
Struthers is scheduled for a Christmas tournament on Dec. 28 & 29 at Harbor Creek, PA.
Wildcats are set to play the host team at 7:30 on the 28th.
December 29th will be sorted out after the results the previous night.
Not sure how this came about because it's a rather long 2-hour trip to Harbor Creek.

Can anyone explain why Austintown Fitch scored only 17 points on Erie Cathedral Prep last night? Or why Springfield Local scored only 22 points against Ursuline? The Falcons & the Tigers were once proud programs. What's happening to boys basketball in the Mahoning Valley?

Can anyone explain why Austintown Fitch scored only 17 points on Erie Cathedral Prep last night? Or why Springfield Local scored only 22 points against Ursuline? The Falcons & the Tigers were once proud programs. What's happening to boys basketball in the Mahoning Valley?
We have addressed this prior. Basketball doesn’t get the same time commitment as other sports. This year is some of the worst basketball I’ve seen in years.

We have addressed this prior. Basketball doesn’t get the same time commitment as other sports. This year is some of the worst basketball I’ve seen in years.
Springfield Local had only 8 total points going into the 4th quarter at Ursuline.
The Valley was once a hub of BB excellence.
I remember watching Rayen, Girard, Campbell Memorial, and Ursuline on TV winning state titles in their respective divisions over the years.
That early '90s Irish squad struggled to a 10-10 regular record against Youngstown area talent before catching fire and taking it all.
Who else has won the boy's state title in our area?

And Campbell Memorial scoring only 24 in their loss to Lowellville. Was aware they lost a lot to graduation after a great run (24-2 maybe?) last season, plus some important potential returnees transferred, so there's a little bit of an excuse.

And how about McDonald, scoring only 32 points in their loss to Girard ? Heck, 2 or 3 years ago they had Zach Rasile who averaged over 34 ppg as a senior, and ended his career as the second-best all-time scorer in Ohio high school history.

How the mighty have fallen.

Struthers is scheduled for a Christmas tournament on Dec. 28 & 29 at Harbor Creek, PA.
Wildcats are set to play the host team at 7:30 on the 28th.
December 29th will be sorted out after the results the previous night.
Not sure how this came about because it's a rather long 2-hour trip to Harbor Creek.
Was that tournament cancelled due to the inclement weather?

I’ve seen 2 scores
Struthers 61-54 or Struthers 62-57
Saw this on Twitter:

1672288210426.png

Couldn’t find the Jefferson score
I too have been looking for it as well, Twitter, etc.
Shouldn't have to look for a needle in a haystack to get scores in this day and age.

Thanks for the work you put in locating scores.

And Campbell Memorial scoring only 24 in their loss to Lowellville. Was aware they lost a lot to graduation after a great run (24-2 maybe?) last season, plus some important potential returnees transferred, so there's a little bit of an excuse.

And how about McDonald, scoring only 32 points in their loss to Girard ? Heck, 2 or 3 years ago they had Zach Rasile who averaged over 34 ppg as a senior, and ended his career as the second-best all-time scorer in Ohio high school history.

How the mighty have fallen.

Talent ebbs and flows, especially at small schools. For McDonald particularly, talent is down in pretty much every sport across the board (football had back to back losing seasons the first time in 50+ years, last years basketball was the 2nd losing season in 20+). The kids work hard, play hard, are coached well, it’s just talent isn’t there. It’ll turn around, there is a bunch of talent 9th grade on down.

I too have been looking for it as well, Twitter, etc.
Shouldn't have to look for a needle in a haystack to get scores in this day and age.

Thanks for the work you put in locating scores.
I think Jefferson blew out the team they were playing Seneca 82 to 56 assuming they play struthers today at 130 in the championship

Austintown-Fitch 43
Walsh Jesuit 41
Final/OT
Wait wait wait... we arent just gonna breeze past this one. They beat both St Ignatius and SVSM and Fitch just came off a game scoring 17 points against albeit a good Erie Cathedral Prep team.. Someone make it make sense. Kids missing from either team from either game?

Wait wait wait... we arent just gonna breeze past this one. They beat both St Ignatius and SVSM and Fitch just came off a game scoring 17 points against albeit a good Erie Cathedral Prep team.. Someone make it make sense. Kids missing from either team from either game?
I sure miss the old days when the Vindicator would print an account of the weekend games in Saturday and Sunday editions (in those days principally in the City Series, Steel Valley Conference, and later Mahoning Valley Conference.) Eventually the Wednesday editions would have descripts of the Tuesday games. Coaches would be interviewed in Monday and Tuesday editions prior. We'd know essentially what was happening with the teams and leagues. Newspapers (the ones that have survived anyway) have all seemingly moved away from this kind of feature of scholastic sports. A loss, I think.

As far as I know everyone was available. Walsh didn’t shoot well from the floor or the line. Fitch for a very young team, starts two sophs and two frosh, kept their composure made some plays on both sides of the ball in the end

I would think from a Fitch standpoint with that youth you make get some clunkers here and there

Last edited:
As far as I know everyone was available. Walsh didn’t shoot well from the floor or the line. Fitch for a very young team, starts two sophs and two frosh, kept their composure made some plays on both sides of the ball in the end

I would think from a Fitch standpoint with that youth you make get some clunkers here and there
Given that Fitch is the largest high school in the 3 county area of Trumbull, Mahoning, & Columbiana, it is surprising that they can't land more upperclassmen on their varsity squad.