Lou Holtz nails it with what is happening today..

bigkat

Today everybody wants to talk about their RIGHTs and Privileges. and 40 years ago we talked about Obligations and responsibilities. To me, that describes society as a whole. Read that in a wonderful site, called press pro magazine......

Today everybody wants to talk about their RIGHTs and Privileges. and 40 years ago we talked about Obligations and responsibilities. To me, that describes society as a whole. Read that in a wonderful site, called press pro magazine......
100% correct

Boo Hoo Lou who cried for 6 months when the golden domers didn't win the National Championship in 93 . he didn't have his team ready to play BC. and never took responsibility , he just blamed everyone else

Boo Hoo Lou who cried for 6 months when the golden domers didn't win the National Championship in 93 . he didn't have his team ready to play BC. and never took responsibility , he just blamed everyone else
only a POS would find something in his statement...... If Robert Deniro would have said this.... what are your thoughts then?

I don't know much about Lou Holtz, and it does not matter who said it, such a statement is spot on as it gets.

Society has stopped asking "what can I do for others (country)", and has become totally focused on "what can others (country) do for me?

When we have a majority of people with that mindset we are screwed as a nation. How many people ask "what's in it for me" before they will perform a tedious work? Pleasure seeking is so essential to the general population that character development through trial is avoided if possible. Sugar substitutes, insulin, liposuction, stomachach stapling etc. are all forms of enabling people to continue bad habits and living irresponsibility rather than employing self denial and responsibility for ones actions.

That mindset carries over into so many other areas of life. I know a very well respected surgeon who told me twenty years ago a big problem he saw in the mindset of many people was the desire to act irresponsibly and expecting him to repair the resulting damage so they could go do the same thing again.

so because Lou supports Orange man, you don't like him, something tells me his statement fits YOU to a T...... what, did it hit a nerve?

1657541799235.jpeg

I don't know much about Lou Holtz, and it does not matter who said it, such a statement is spot on as it gets.

Society has stopped asking "what can I do for others (country)", and has become totally focused on "what can others (country) do for me?

When we have a majority of people with that mindset we are screwed as a nation. How many people ask "what's in it for me" before they will perform a tedious work? Pleasure seeking is so essential to the general population that character development through trial is avoided if possible. Sugar substitutes, insulin, liposuction, stomachach stapling etc. are all forms of enabling people to continue bad habits and living irresponsibility rather than employing self denial and responsibility for ones actions.

That mindset carries over into so many other areas of life. I know a very well respected surgeon who told me twenty years ago a big problem he saw in the mindset of many people was the desire to act irresponsibly and expecting him to repair the resulting damage so they could go do the same thing again.
bingo

Notre Dame got robbed in 93' in favor of pollsters wanting Bowden to get his title. When two teams have the same record head to head should be the criteria right?

Plus Lou is right here. ;)

Great post. There are many pockets of the country that still live by the "what can I do for others" mantra and they do just fine.

We used to show a Lou Holtz motivational video to new employees, was one of the more enjoyable things they had to sit through.

I'm sure he had several stock corny phrases he used at many other keynote events to get a laugh, but my favorite line in the video was "My wife and I have four kids, all boys but two, I'm very proud of that."

Miami beat ND 27-10 in 89' and Miami won the title.
He said Notre Dame should have won the national title, because Notre Dame had the better overall schedule and season, and head to head should not matter. That comment came back to bite him in 1993, when Florida State had a better season, even though they lost head to head:p

He said Notre Dame should have won the national title, because Notre Dame had the better overall schedule and season, and head to head should not matter. That comment came back to bite him in 1993, when Florida State had a better season, even though they lost head to head:p
Well ND did play the tougher schedule. Lol.

I got ya.

I was a big ND fan growing up and loved Lou Holtz. When the Irish played ND in 1988 Lou gave the best pregame speech I had every heard. That little $chit with a lisp could motivate.