Let's start a good thread. List something positive today.

Told the wife I'd like to start looking for a weekend lake house or cottage.

Rule #1 - no more than 2 hours drive for a weekend lake house. Far away enough you’re away from home, close enough it’s not a pain to drive to most weekends. Any further and most likely you’ll hardly go. Hope you find something great.

Rule #1 - no more than 2 hours drive for a weekend lake house. Far away enough you’re away from home, close enough it’s not a pain to drive to most weekends. Any further and most likely you’ll hardly go. Hope you find something great.
Thanks - Great info

Her reply was Typical - "Why, I really don't think we need to "
2 hours later - "Where are you thinking and How Big"

I told her - 2 to 3,000 SF would work and if it doesn't have a Huge garage for Boats / Kayaks / Jet skis - we can add that !

Concur.

We used to go to Lake James in NE Indiana for a week for like 20 years and it was a th 2 hour mark. Just far enough, but not too far. Some friends would go to Cumberland but the 6 hour drive.....ugh.

Now I live 140 pace from a lake and 2.5 miles from my boat dock.
Oh the welfare lifestyle.

Concur.

We used to go to Lake James in NE Indiana for a week for like 20 years and it was a th 2 hour mark. Just far enough, but not too far. Some friends would go to Cumberland but the 6 hour drive.....ugh.

Now I live 140 pace from a lake and 2.5 miles from my boat dock.
Oh the welfare lifestyle.

LOL

have you been to Caruso's ? over by Crooked

Thanks - Great info

Her reply was Typical - "Why, I really don't think we need to "
2 hours later - "Where are you thinking and How Big"

I told her - 2 to 3,000 SF would work and if it doesn't have a Huge garage for Boats / Kayaks / Jet skis - we can add that !

2-3000sq ft? Yikes. You know things got to be cleaned, right? It's "vacation?" Vacation house for me, 6-900sqft. 1-2 BR, shower/hot tub with a view, connected kitchen and living space. Porch. Dock.

Foolishly back in the day, I didn't follow through on a buy in upstate NY on a leveled spring fed deep water finger lake. Could have used it year round but in my young mind, saw payments. Stupid young EIB, stupid. If you find something with location grab it. If the structure is not what you want, guaranteed you'll be able to fix or sell and buy up. It's all about location.

LOL

have you been to Caruso's ? over by Crooked
We would get Sharkey's Pizza the first evening and the rest of the time we cooked out own. Steak day. Chicken day. Burger day. Fish fry end of the week from our catch.

2020 they didnt rent out, and this year they wanted 2500 for the week and we told em to kick rocks.

but man I loved that week up there. Beautiful lake.

Last edited:
I haven't figured out what to do. I enjoy the big vacations and owning another property seems like work.

Told my Oldest ( 2 yrs into marriage ) .... since I'm spending your inheritance there would be multiple keys for everyone ( I think he got the hint )

- the hook is ( just like years ago .. when I went with friends ) we mowed and put all food away - iced down the coolers and got everything gassed up
- check all ski ropes and lines ...... basically safety checked everything

Then we got the Party On !!!

The bad:. No boating this weekend.
The good: squeezed off around 500 rounds this weekend so all in all...a good day!
The ugly:. Rain and mud while shootin'...

'Murica.

2-3000sq ft? Yikes. You know things got to be cleaned, right? It's "vacation?" Vacation house for me, 6-900sqft. 1-2 BR, shower/hot tub with a view, connected kitchen and living space. Porch. Dock.

Foolishly back in the day, I didn't follow through on a buy in upstate NY on a leveled spring fed deep water finger lake. Could have used it year round but in my young mind, saw payments. Stupid young EIB, stupid. If you find something with location grab it. If the structure is not what you want, guaranteed you'll be able to fix or sell and buy up. It's all about location.
concur.
that is way too big.
Unless he is just dead set on wasting $$$$, I would go with a much smaller lake house.

Always feels good to "stick it to the man" and this weekend Pastime Tournaments was "the man'.

Saves 280 bucks by booking myself instead of their stay to play link.

Plus..we were only going to stay 3 days so the 10 a day was cheaper than the 40 pass. To save money they did away with wristbands and went to a code to scan at the game. So paid the ten...scanned..then it asked what ticket you bought.
So..

We naturally clicked the full pass so that saved another 60 bucks.

We were able to afford 2 hot dogs at dinner because of this.