Leagues like GMC & ECC playing every team in league now

DonCalipari

WW which team do they take off the schedule Trotwood or Lasalle? I understand Trotwood was in the same situation that WW was in not being in a league and I understand that Lasalle would bring more $$$ because their fan base travels well.

Others enter into this equation as well. Three very good rivalry games and a fourth new rivalry are at stake with this silly 9-game league schedule the ECC and GMC have adopted:
  • St. Xavier/Colerain
  • La Salle/Colerain
  • La Salle/Winton Woods
  • St. Xavier/Lakota West (Specht/Bolden)
Maybe Trotwood/Winton Woods measures up to that list as well. Whatever happens, we're losing at least two really good community events and great high school football games because of stupid decisions.

Only one team in our region did not make the playoffs this year. What’s the point of having a conference? All it takes is one well known school to threaten to leave to put an end to that nonsense.

I prefer to play Lasalle but I understand keeping Trotwood because when WW didn't have a league Trotwood stepped up every yr & gave us a game.

Sucks and I do not like it. I was at Anderson during the QCC era when we had 4 non con games (might have even been 5). Used to be fun knowing that they were playing X, Harrison every year and a rotation of other teams.

Last edited:
It feels like the GMC and the ECC got together and decided to freeze out the GCL. It's a no brainer for Winton Woods to play Trotwood, they were there when everybody turned their back on us.

* If not Trotwood, I would rather play Elder. The atmosphere at the pit is something else and I like seeing sad Elder fans when I leave.

I HATE this! I liked WW scheduling tougher opponents outside the conference!

The problem is WW complained for years how difficult it was to schedule not being in a conference. Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it to. Being in a conference you have to adhere to conference standards. The ECC is the best d2 conference in SWO and maybe in the state, in the new 16 team format you can expect 3+ teams to make the playoffs every year. Anderson/Turpin/and Kings are considered to be some of the best of the region every year. So you are in a league with the best of the best. If you want to line up and play GCL and out of state teams then WW should have stayed independent.

Trotwood is a good tune up game for WW. They will be a team that is up and down from year to year. But they are not in the same division anymore so it doesn't really help WW. But I feel Lasalle will be bigger money, drive more fans in, be higher profile for recruits, and get a team the caliber of WW ready for the playoffs.

The problem is WW complained for years how difficult it was to schedule not being in a conference. Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it to. Being in a conference you have to adhere to conference standards. The ECC is the best d2 conference in SWO and maybe in the state, in the new 16 team format you can expect 3+ teams to make the playoffs every year. Anderson/Turpin/and Kings are considered to be some of the best of the region every year. So you are in a league with the best of the best. If you want to line up and play GCL and out of state teams then WW should have stayed independent.

Trotwood is a good tune up game for WW. They will be a team that is up and down from year to year. But they are not in the same division anymore so it doesn't really help WW. But I feel Lasalle will be bigger money, drive more fans in, be higher profile for recruits, and get a team the caliber of WW ready for the playoffs.
I agree just an odd situation to have to choose between.

Sshhhhhh! You’re saying the quiet part loud.

Its the publics vs the privates. It will always be that way until everyone plays by the same rules and has the same advantages. Non-open enrollment public schools hate schools that are open enrollment and expose that loop hole to build teams. But its the day and age we live in.

Again I always go back to LM played Lasalle 2 years ago in the playoffs (the last state champion year) and their best OL/DL 3 year starter both ways for LM for his Senior year transferred to Lasalle a 40 min drive from Morrow and played against LM in the Playoffs. That's the reason it will always be privates vs publics.

Sshhhhhh! You’re saying the quiet part loud.

Yeah, it's pretty weak. Instead of crying about the "different rules" myth, maybe play a few harder games each year and some of those 10-0 regular seasons won't end at 10-1 or 11-1. This sucks for Winton Woods who traded the nightmare of filling a 10-game schedule for an extra running clock win most years.

Plus, it's going to be boring for the ECC teams with the same 9 games every year.

The problem is WW complained for years how difficult it was to schedule not being in a conference. Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it to. Being in a conference you have to adhere to conference standards. The ECC is the best d2 conference in SWO and maybe in the state, in the new 16 team format you can expect 3+ teams to make the playoffs every year. Anderson/Turpin/and Kings are considered to be some of the best of the regioyear. So you are in a league with the best of the best. If you want to line up and play GCL and out of state teams then WW should have stayed independent.

Well, we did complain. A league we were apart of dispand’s, starts a new league (invites us back later) it was very difficult to schedule. Being back in a conference solved the problem but playing more league games will hurt more than help the TEAM. IMO But it is what it is.

As a WW fan & backer I hate this for the GCL teams. I have a ton of friends at every gcl school and to see them have to travel the miles they do to get a game is ridiculous. Lasalle making trips to Buffalo NY for a football game. Come on now. I love going to LASALLE stadium and mingling w the crowd. I run into buddies who I competed against there. Love the PIZZA lol there and the student section. These leagues are trying to make it tougher on the gcl teams to schedule games which to me is weird. RICKY FLAIR ONCE SD "TO BE THE MAN YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE MAN"

I would much rather play in the ECC then go on a barnstorming tour, way too many WW teams suffered because they played unrealistic hard schedules.

I would love for Winton Woods and Princeton to start playing each other to build a true rivalry game in the future. I wonder why we don’t at least play Princeton in basketball.
I would love playing Princeton and/or Mt. Healthy. To be honest I can't remember the last time WW played at Mt. Healthy.

I would love playing Princeton and/or Mt. Healthy. To be honest I can't remember the last time WW played at Mt. Healthy.
Played Mt. Healthy in the playoffs in 2013. Mt. Healthy won 13 to 10. Also, Head coach Arvie Couch won't be coaching there anymore. So it depends on who they hire. of they will have continued success.

Last edited:
I would love for Winton Woods and Princeton to start playing each other to build a true rivalry game in the future. I wonder why we don’t at least play Princeton in basketball.
WW vs Princeton is a natural Rivalry. I wouldnt be surprised if a few years from now it will be the GMC Vs ECC as the one extra game every year and they rotate.

Mt Healthy vs WW would not be a good game now. The David Montgomery years are long gone. Now WW is on a different plane.

It's weak because they don't think they can beat the man, so they're trying to go around him.
Scheduling for a school like LaSalle is going to be a bear. They either have to travel to Pluto to play a game or play northern instate powers Hoban, Massillon, Ed's and Iggy.

Funny to think GMC and ECC did it to freeze out GCL. ECC could care less about the GCL or GMC. When all of the teams can make the playoffs...well, 9/10 this year...why not have a true league Champ?

Funny to think GMC and ECC did it to freeze out GCL. ECC could care less about the GCL or GMC. When all of the teams can make the playoffs...well, 9/10 this year...why not have a true league Champ?
True, doesn't apply as much to the ECC. The GMC likes to live within their own bubble so they're not exposed as a continually mediocre conference, with one or two good teams a year.

Would love to see the GCL add Ed's, Ignatius, and Hoban. Those teams are traveling anyway, so make it the state's true power D1 conference, and get all the schools at least 6 games on the schedule.