Lakota West State DI Champions

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
Here they are: the surprising DI State Boys Champions:

1604797923981.png

Photo: Courtesy of Lakota West Twitter Page

Pictured above from left to right are Zahcary Plotin, Nathan Burns, Sergio Negroe,
Coleman Cronk, Zachary Beneteau, Easton Crowther, Kaleb Martin, Coach Sean Hart

How they scored 73 points

Overall Place, Name, Time, Team Place

8th, Zachary Beneteau, 15:42.8, 5
10th, Kaleb Martin, 15:48.3, 7
30th, Zachary Plotkin, 16:10.7, 17
32nd, Sergio Negroe, 16:11.6, 19
41st, Coleman Cronk, 16:17.4, 25

Last edited:

Congrats to the Firebirds. They executed a great race today to defeat a talented field.

I am really impressed with the fearlessness they raced with all season. To win the state title in the school's first trip against a talented St. X team that was the defending champ and had defeated West head-to-head in their prior two match ups is amazing. That's a lot of pressure to rise up and meet.

Kudos to Coach Hart and all of the athletes.

Incredible job by Lakota West. Honestly unbelievable what they were able to do this year. A team entirely of seniors who had never been to the state meet before, went up against a St. X team who won last year and got even better. A team worth remembering.

I will note, I do not believe this was Coach Hart's first year.

I will note, I do not believe this was Coach Hart's first year.
I didn't say it was his first year at West, Actually it was his fifth year coaching, but the LW web site says this is his first year as HEAD COACH

In these COVID times to be able to get your team ready to execute when you have never swam in those deep waters is amazing.

Here they are: the surprising DI State Boys Champions:

Overall Place, Name, Time, Team Place
8th, Zachary Beneteau, 15:42.8, 5
10th, Kaleb Martin, 15:48.3, 7
30th, Zachary Plotkin, 16:10.7, 17
32nd, Sergio Negroe, 16:11.6, 19
41st, Coleman Cronk, 16:17.4, 25

West winning is really not that "surprising" or even an upset. I expected either West or St X to win.

What is surprising is that West won with Cole Cronk having an off race. Cronk, a Florida State commit, and Beneteau, traded off as the 1 & 2 runners for most of the season. I did not dissect St X's results enough to see if any of their guys had an "off" race.

For the individual title I wasn't surprised that Moore beat Mountain. I expected either of them to win and the other to take 2nd. What was surprising was the margin that Moore won by.

Congratulations to Lakota West. I knew it was going to be a tight one, but 2 POINTS. It all came down to the "spread".

LW participated in national meet yesterday called The Meet of Champions in Terre Haute. They finished 4th. Not sure how this meet compares to the team races Footlocker had, just passing this along

I mean nothing but positive in my following comment.

Every member of that team looks fit and athletic. Many times there are a few guys or young women that look a little out of place for such high caliber teams, but not in this case. They all look the part. The joy of kids that age that they are displaying is inspiring.