Lack of field event finals

NEOYO

I have noticed in Northeast Ohio ever since the dawn of covid almost no meets have finals for field events. Even big invitationals like Glenoak and Optimist have fallen victim to this. Is this state wide? Is there any reasoning besides just to get people out of the venue because of covid?

Early in the season especially, Friday night meets tend to be victims of this because they are worried about daylight.

I have noticed in Northeast Ohio ever since the dawn of covid almost no meets have finals for field events. Even big invitationals like Glenoak and Optimist have fallen victim to this. Is this state wide? Is there any reasoning besides just to get people out of the venue because of covid?
Definitely a weather-related situation at some of the meets I've attended earlier this season and probably an attempt to save time for everyone involved (athletes, spectators, coaches, event workers, and officials).

Yeah but its still a shame to be honest. Cutting corners to get done early isn't the way to go. However, the move to more Friday night meets has increased the amount of meets with no finals. If you are not having finals in events like the Shot and Discus, is it just a glorified duel meet? Will the state ever move the district, regional, and state meets to no finals?

Lot of issues causing this I think and I don't think it will go back. IMO

We moved to no finals for our invitational, but got a lot of feedback (including our own field event coaches) requesting going back to finals, so we did this year. I think we should have finals where possible, in order to prepare for the tournament. I also prefer finals because it is an achievable goal for athletes, and can be a real confidence boost.

A couple of the most exciting events I have watched as a coach have been shot put finals.

As a definite field event enthusiast (understatement), finals are a must for invitationals. 3-4 throws/jumps (long/triple) are for duals & relay meets only. Invitational by definition implies inviting the best to compete for medals/ribbons. The best should be given their opportunities to shine.

In a large invitational setting going 1 1 1 for throw and then finals is actually quicker than dragging along 2 2 for 4+ flights. I believe ease of running the meet has trumped the reason for the meet in the first place which is a disservice to the kids. I can't believe the amount of "premier" meets that I've seen with no finals.

As a definite field event enthusiast (understatement), finals are a must for invitationals. 3-4 throws/jumps (long/triple) are for duals & relay meets only. Invitational by definition implies inviting the best to compete for medals/ribbons. The best should be given their opportunities to shine.
I hope you aren’t seeing 3 throws/jumps with no finals anywhere. That option is not within the rules.

Big push to go to timed finals for everything, so why not same idea in the throws and LJ too? I've always hated 5 alive. I've always hated open pit. No one cares what I think. Opening heights that don't take into account the weather conditions. Throws where they throw 2 and 2 and only mark the best of each pair. We lost a meet because of a tie breaker when not all throws were marked. Only the longer of each pair of 2 + 2. Our conference doesn't have set rules and we've gone to dual meets where they only give 3 jumps in the LJ and at the same meet gave 4 for the throws. Just whatever the host team feels like doing.

I know I'll get flack for this, but if conditions are not ideal for the Pole Vault, 14' vaulters might have to adjust and straight pole 11' or lose to a kid that is only a 10' vaulter, but can vault 10' no matter what the conditions are. We do not have 5 poles for each vaulter. Usually 1 or 2 per kid at most. Have seen PV not contested or delayed because the elite vaulters with 10 or more poles would not vault because conditions were not ideal. Not Dangerous for each vaulter, but not optimum. Our 4:20 1600 kids have to still run when the conditions make it so that 4:45 is a solid time. Make adjustments.

At our Invite.... the temp was in the 30's and was spitting snow, the Coaches (at the coaches meeting) decided to go to 4 attempts in the throws and LJ (open pit) just so the kids/officials would not be exposed as long. A good choice IMO. We did measure every attempt. Probably could have eliminated the semis of 100's, 200's and hurdles, but allowed the 4 x 8's to be placed in there. If the weather is better, we will always try to have qualifying and semis.

When a school tries to just give 3 attempts in the long jumps or throws, I ask "how many do we take to the finals?' If they say just 3 attempts, I show them the rule book where is says with 4 attempts or 3 and then finals. when they say "we just do 3 attempts". I go get the officill/starter who thells them to go to 4 attempts.

I have not seen 3 attempts in quite a number of years, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of you have seen it happen. The 4 attempt rule came about quite a few years ago, if my memory serves me correctly.

When a school tries to just give 3 attempts in the long jumps or throws, I ask "how many do we take to the finals?' If they say just 3 attempts, I show them the rule book where is says with 4 attempts or 3 and then finals. when they say "we just do 3 attempts". I go get the officill/starter who thells them to go to 4 attempts.
Here is the irritating part of all that. The basketball coach does not have to get with the officials and have them force a team to play 4 quarters instead of 3, or play the proper number of minutes in a game. The football coach does not have to get with officials and make it so his team is allowed to kick extra points. Weather conditions are one thing. The basic structure of the sport and how it's contested, scored and officiated is another.

I think your analogy breaks down because there is usually only a couple of non-registered officials (scorer/timer) working a basketball or football game, and they wouldn't have any kind of say in what you are complaining about here. At small meets, we rely on non-registered (often volunteer) officials to conduct some events and they simply don't know the rules. I have absolutely seen a scorer or timer make a mistake at a basketball game, and the coach had to ask the registered official on the floor to get it corrected.

When I'm the starter/referee of a dual/tri where we have volunteer officials (parents or even high school kids) running the events, I make it a point to go around to the throws and long jump and make sure they are doing 4 attempts. Couple years ago, had one dad who was running the shot put tell me "we've only ever given 3 attempts." My response was "Well, that's not what the rule says unless you are also doing finals. Today, everyone will get four attempts." After the meet, went up to sign the scoresheet and happened to look at the shot put sheet on top of the pile...three attempts. I was hot. It's a good thing that dad was no longer at the track.