Keystone, large unknown, to be state contender

SpeedSafety25

I'm sure not many folks know of LaGrange Keystone but the last two years they have lost in close games to the eventual state champions (Clyde and Van Wert). They bring many athletes back with more experience and more talent than a year ago. The have a legit D1 recruit and have 5 athletes most likely running in the state track meet next week. The school has largely been a silent player in football for many years but I would be surprised if they don't go the distance this and possibly next year. Check them out.

Clyde and Bellevue certainly will be back in the mix. I feel the whippets will come back down. Keystone has had tastes of playoffs the last two years. The school I think has been in the playoffs once prior. What was disturbing (me coming from quality football in my days) was that the community made making the playoffs like the Superbowl. Yes, they are a softball machine, we get tons of transfers (quality girls from surrounding programs) know they can't win at their schools so come here. While there is a huge contingent for softball, football is making good inroads. Especially playing in a weak league, winning should become more natural and expected for years to come. I expect keystone to be 1st seed come playoffs and slight favorite in the region (assuming region is the same).

I agree with the original poster. Keystone has the talent to win a state football championship if they are blessed with good health and a couple lucky breaks along the way...as nearly all eventual state champs need. They have some serious experienced skill talent. If they can get good line play they can take it all the way. It’s taken state champs to knock them out of the last two playoffs and they pushed those champs as hard as anyone in those respective playoffs.

Keystone is a softball school. Enough said.
...When your IQ matches your shoe size.

Didn’t get to see Keystone or any local teams play last year. But the scuttlebutt around town is that they have a nice group and a tremendous program. I’m sure the Wildcats will be one day at a timers and earn what the get.
I miss the PAC!

I agree with the original poster. Keystone has the talent to win a state football championship if they are blessed with good health and a couple lucky breaks along the way...as nearly all eventual state champs need. They have some serious experienced skill talent. If they can get good line play they can take it all the way. It’s taken state champs to knock them out of the last two playoffs and they pushed those champs as hard as anyone in those respective playoffs.
biggest knock on them is a very weak league of half D6 or lower schools. and their non league isn't very tough either. Will be interesting come playoff time as the teams get better

Shackleford kid is legit tho and can take it to the house at any moment, they will be good no doubt

Last edited:
I would not be shocked to see Keystone and Van Wert meet again in the playoffs. Keystone gave Van Wert its toughest game until the state semifinals. They are a talented group. I think region 14 is shaping up: 1. Van Wert 2. Keystone 3. Clyde

Its going to be fun watching the Keystone running back and the McKean kid from Black River go at it for the conference rushing title! Both are very impressive backs!!

I was down on Keystone last year on their playoff chances. History supports me...but I think I have been recently over-harsh on what they are capable of. I still hold reservations based on their league, but having seen my Shelby lose to both Clyde and Van Wert when Keystone kept the score closer means something.

History and culture dictates a lot of success, but the fun part of D4 is you can have a team rocket to the top on the backs of a few players, overnight. I am learning to be more gentle to Keystone on that premise.

Van Wert returns enough to make me think they still will be a tough out.
i agree with you about van wert plus it helps van wert being in the wbl,where keystone plays in a weak league,columbia comin g off a couple of good years and now young and i dont seeing keystone getting help from their league except for maybe oberlin firelandsso go van wert in the wbl.

Clyde and Bellevue certainly will be back in the mix. I feel the whippets will come back down. Keystone has had tastes of playoffs the last two years. The school I think has been in the playoffs once prior. What was disturbing (me coming from quality football in my days) was that the community made making the playoffs like the Superbowl. Yes, they are a softball machine, we get tons of transfers (quality girls from surrounding programs) know they can't win at their schools so come here. While there is a huge contingent for softball, football is making good inroads. Especially playing in a weak league, winning should become more natural and expected for years to come. I expect keystone to be 1st seed come playoffs and slight favorite in the region (assuming region is the same.
dont ever leave out shelby they dont rebuild,they reload, then theres wbl van wert who plays in a tougher league and a tougher schedule like wapakoneta,lima shawnee,st.marys memorial,elida and ottawa glandorf and you play schedule like clyde who starts with toledo st.francis,ashland and norwayne bobcats and end with the sbc lake gaunlet in tiffin columbian,norwalk and bellevue also toledo scott ,start,sandusky and perkins.wins are nice but your non conference teams look iffy and the lorain county league is weak so that doesnt bode well for keystone getting top seed in region. plus add in huron because of their athleticlism and great speed.

...When your IQ matches your shoe size.

Didn’t get to see Keystone or any local teams play last year. But the scuttlebutt around town is that they have a nice group and a tremendous program. I’m sure the Wildcats will be one day at a timers and earn what the get.
I miss the PAC!
Keystone softball, regional champions, headed to the final 4.

The key for them is their offensive and defensive lines. They lost 4 starters on offensive line and their whole defensive line. They aren’t deep and Their JV group struggled to score points. They will have 5 guys on the field that can score at any time, but we will see if they can block or stop anyone.

The top teams in the LCL (formerly PAC) have had issues recently in the playoffs. Great regular season record, get exposed in the playoffs. We'll see if this Keystone team is any different.

Regardless of Keystone’s league and schedule, it’s taken the eventual state champs to knock them out of the playoffs in 2019 and 2020...and they pushed the champs hard in both losses. That’s a lot to draw from for Keystone. I’m sure they will feel like they can beat any team they will face in the playoffs and with good reason.

The key for them is their offensive and defensive lines. They lost 4 starters on offensive line and their whole defensive line. They aren’t deep and Their JV group struggled to score points. They will have 5 guys on the field that can score at any time, but we will see if they can block or stop anyone.
They lost some good size on the lines from last year. I propose playing man defense in the backfield and putting 7-8 in the box. The speedsters can hold their own on the back end so bring more up front.

There is a free agent Defensive Coordinator named ThankYouJesus that Keystone should consider. He knows quite a bit about man coverage.

I'm not sold on Keystone...their schedule is just too soft. Some say they played well until the state champion knocked them out...but I would argue that they don't play enough quality opponents to learn how to beat the top teams in the state. This year will be telling, as all the teams will be at full strength and everyone will have had the same amount of practice and preparation. It would be great to see them make it to the finals...the Wildcat faithful would go crazy!

Let’s take a week at a time with this group. I was disappointed to see they dropped Bay on their non conference schedule. Bay is usually their toughest non conference game and they have never beaten them from what I can remember

Their conference will be improved this year. Columbia returns 18 starters and Firelands is a playoff contender with higher numbers and more depth. Black River could also run the ball on them and slow the game down depending on the conditions.

One key note on the games vs Clyde and Van Wert. Both traveled to Keystone and played on a muddy/sloppy field. A neutral field with artificial turf could have been a different game.

Some say they played well until the state champion knocked them out...but I would argue that they don't play enough quality opponents to learn how to beat the top teams in the state.
I'm not sure that really fits the conversation that's going on here. When Keystone lost to Clyde/Van Wert (the eventual state champs in 2019/2020), Keystone wasn't "exposed." They lost to Clyde 20-28 and Van Wert 27-38. The only other final score that was close for Clyde in the 2019 playoffs was O-G in the regional final (10-17). And the Van Wert game was pretty competitive too. I listened to that radio broadcast and it was a back-and-forth affair for much of the game. And considering that two weeks later, Van Wert blew the barn doors off of Shelby 49-0 at halftime, I think it's fair to say that Keystone played tough against the top team in D4.

I'm not sold on Keystone...their schedule is just too soft. Some say they played well until the state champion knocked them out...but I would argue that they don't play enough quality opponents to learn how to beat the top teams in the state. This year will be telling, as all the teams will be at full strength and everyone will have had the same amount of practice and preparation. It would be great to see them make it to the finals...the Wildcat faithful would go crazy!
I hear what you’re saying, and some of those Patriot Conference teams took some shellackings in the playoffs, but Keystone might be like Avon was in 2011 when everyone said the West Shore Conference couldn’t get them ready for the playoffs, but their talent took them to the state championship game. I hope Keystone can enjoy the same sort of run, but finish it off with a championship.

There is a free agent Defensive Coordinator named ThankYouJesus that Keystone should consider. He knows quite a bit about man coverage.
Boy, he made those Berea-Midpark threads fun to read, though. He did have a point about the abdication of defense in that program, but I think his feelings went far deeper than that.

The Keystone softball team won a state title over the weekend.
They are an elite softball program, no doubt. They are historically weak in football, but Coach Clarico had some success and Coach Griswald has really ramped it with the recent teams. The school district is growing, which helps.