Kenton's prolific 5-wide offense - what happened to it?

In the early 2000's, Kenton - ran what seemed to be at the time - a nearly unstoppable 5-wide offense. For a few years, they scored at high levels and made deep playoff runs. Since then, the program has had its ups and downs like most high school programs.

Does anyone who's familiar with the program know what happened? Did defenses finally solve the offense? Was it simply a combination of the right system with the right talent? Did the coaching staff change and bring with it a new offensive philosophy? I ask because that offense was fun to watch. It was interesting to see how it stressed defenses and forced D-coordinators to be creative in stopping it. I don't recall anyone running anything quite like it. Since then, I haven't seen anyone match Kenton's success with that style of offense. What happened?

In the early 2000's, Kenton - ran what seemed to be at the time - a nearly unstoppable 5-wide offense. For a few years, they scored at high levels and made deep playoff runs. Since then, the program has had its ups and downs like most high school programs.

Does anyone who's familiar with the program know what happened? Did defenses finally solve the offense? Was it simply a combination of the right system with the right talent? Did the coaching staff change and bring with it a new offensive philosophy? I ask because that offense was fun to watch. It was interesting to see how it stressed defenses and forced D-coordinators to be creative in stopping it. I don't recall anyone running anything quite like it. Since then, I haven't seen anyone match Kenton's success with that style of offense. What happened?

Coach Mauk left for a high school in Missouri. He is one of The Godfather’s of the 5 Wide Offense.
Teams that ran the 5 Wide similar to Kenton
- Dover 2003-2012? (they were just as prolific and fun to watch)
-Canal Fulton NW
-Ashland
-Triway
They handed the job to the longtime DC and he had some decent success but now Kenton is a total mess

It takes a special kind of QB to be able to win in a 5 wide scheme.

Kenton OL would widen the splits like crazy. Then go wider. Wider. Wider. Next think you know the DL was so spread out they were ineffective.

As far was how to stop them? CW had the blueprint over the years, even going .500 against Ben and Maddy. Smaller, quicker DL play and get to the QB. Most teams had big DL, and no way they were EVER going to get to the QB. They just werent. CW relied more on quickness on the DL, often times putting LB's in the gaps in lieu of DL to get after them.
Coach Mauk, to his arrogance, would refuse to put any help back there and I seen their QB, believe it was the younger, get sacked in double digits.

When the elder Mauk left, so did the attraction of wanting to play there from area kids, in and out of Kenton.

You need to be able to run the ball in ohio HS football. Ben and Maty had tremendous quickness and filled that void. I think much of that went away and when they didnt have that aspect it went all downhill

MEDINA BEES. THAT'S JUST ONE OF SOME OTHERS WHO'LL PASS A 'D' DIZZY.
KENTON YEARS AGO WAS THERE TOO.

Coach Mauk left for a high school in Missouri. He is one of The Godfather’s of the 5 Wide Offense.
Teams that ran the 5 Wide similar to Kenton
- Dover 2003-2012? (they were just as prolific and fun to watch)
-Canal Fulton NW
-Ashland
-Triway
They handed the job to the longtime DC and he had some decent success but now Kenton is a total mess
Western Brown down near Cincinnati ran this offense.

It takes a special kind of QB to be able to win in a 5 wide scheme.

Kenton OL would widen the splits like crazy. Then go wider. Wider. Wider. Next think you know the DL was so spread out they were ineffective.

As far was how to stop them? CW had the blueprint over the years, even going .500 against Ben and Maddy. Smaller, quicker DL play and get to the QB. Most teams had big DL, and no way they were EVER going to get to the QB. They just werent. CW relied more on quickness on the DL, often times putting LB's in the gaps in lieu of DL to get after them.
Coach Mauk, to his arrogance, would refuse to put any help back there and I seen their QB, believe it was the younger, get sacked in double digits.

When the elder Mauk left, so did the attraction of wanting to play there from area kids, in and out of Kenton.

You need to be able to run the ball in ohio HS football. Ben and Maty had tremendous quickness and filled that void. I think much of that went away and when they didnt have that aspect it went all downhill
As someone else mentioned, Dover got this offense from Kenton in 03, and was also really effective with it. The only times I remember seeing a defense successfully slow down the offense was when they had large athletic DEs that would contain and block passing lanes (batted a lot of passes down that were not over the middle, and kept the short outs and screens from working). You’d think the teams with more athletic secondaries would be a good stopper, but it really didn’t have an impact. It all had to do with the D-line.

I'll never forget the Kenton-Norwayne '11 championship game. Kenton was a huge favorite and Norwayne did just enough to hang in the game. Kenton had a 1-2 score lead for most of it. Mauk had a couple untimely turnovers toward the end and Norwayne stole the game, 48-42. I know there have been other great ones, but that was in my top 5 of championship games that I have watched.

As someone else mentioned, Dover got this offense from Kenton in 03, and was also really effective with it. The only times I remember seeing a defense successfully slow down the offense was when they had large athletic DEs that would contain and block passing lanes (batted a lot of passes down that were not over the middle, and kept the short outs and screens from working). You’d think the teams with more athletic secondaries would be a good stopper, but it really didn’t have an impact. It all had to do with the D-line.
Isn't that what Fitch did to them 2012/13/14 somewhere around there? They blitzed the crap out of them and had several pick-6 on blind throws.

First of all to run that kind of an offense, you have to have a football who can throw the ball, and make all the throws. I've seen alot of schools try t to run the spread, but the QB can't throw, or they don't have enough recievers who can catch a ball. It's easy in 7 on 7's, but when you put pads on and guys are in the QB's face, whole different story.

Benedictine shut out Kenton 12-0,in the 2003 D3 state title game.They didn't come close to scoring.

Mike Mack left Kenton in 2014 and they have gone downhill since. Fun Mack facts....
In 20 plus years of coaching, he never kicked an extra point. Why go for 1 when you can get 2. He always did an onside kick, to challenge his defense and hopefully field position for his offense.
Also, the top 3 QB passers nationally, all were taught by Mike. He was a great Coach and was one hell of a character. Unfortunately, Kenton is now a dump. Riddled with drug addicts, the talent pool has dried up. They have nowhere near the numbers of players to compete in the division they in.

Mike Mack left Kenton in 2014 and they have gone downhill since. Fun Mack facts....
In 20 plus years of coaching, he never kicked an extra point. Why go for 1 when you can get 2. He always did an onside kick, to challenge his defense and hopefully field position for his offense.
Also, the top 3 QB passers nationally, all were taught by Mike. He was a great Coach and was one hell of a character. Unfortunately, Kenton is now a dump. Riddled with drug addicts, the talent pool has dried up. They have nowhere near the numbers of players to compete in the division they in.
Mauck

Damn Auto correct!

Benedictine shut out Kenton 12-0,in the 2003 D3 state title game.They didn't come close to scoring.
I was talking specifically about Dover, I can’t speak for Kenton. Having said that, I’m sure some teams figured out how to stop their 5 wide.

Kenton’s soccer program has benefited greatly from the demise of their football program. Participation numbers for soccer were somewhere between 30-40 the past two seasons. A quick look at their rosters shows some kids are position players in football and soccer.

Last edited: